Stadium Expansion Question

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Stadium Expansion Question

Post by KittieKop » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:16 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 am
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 am
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:51 am
allcat wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 am
KittieKop wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 am
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:06 pm
gtapp wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:24 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:06 pm
I don't believe this phase of the project has anything to do with stadium expansion or adding any end zone seating.
I agree. I think it does add to the look and may help with the retention of noise of the stadium. Both will remain to be seen.
From all the announcements I’ve read, this is just for the football facility and field house improvements, no stadium seating. In fact, Costello said the blockhouses in the end zone will stay up until the facility is completed. Costello also said that the East grandstands is phase two. That surprised me since everything that’s been put out there before this announcement indicated that the indoor facility would be phase two.
That would tend to tell me there's donor money lined up to go specifically toward the east sidelines. It's their next best place to go for donor money.
I don't think so. The next donor money will be something on campus. Costello mentioned it was athletics turn for the money.
Depends on what the next campaign is aimed at. You could have a donor that has specifically earmarked a donation for the stands. In which case, they have started phase 2. Either way, it might not be their (the Foundation) main focus in the near term.
I thought the east grandstands were phase 0.5. They were painted over the summer. That should hold them for another 20 years, right?
For people with tickets over in the East Grandstand, how is that new paint job wearing so far this year? Is the paint really sticking down well or do you see any spots coming up? That was so rusted, i'm curious how the new paint is sticking.
I think they did some patch work as well, there's some diamond plate where I don't remember before, but could be wrong too. Paint's good, sticking fine and an improvement. The anti skid stuff? Eh, ok, but it's still a butt buster over there when its icy or snowy. Better, definitely, but it's not concrete!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:28 am

Looked like several spots on the bottom (underneath) that were flaking.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:33 pm

I wonder if they will make another push for more funding after us making it to the semifinals? Would be amazing to have the indoor practice field built within 2 years. Anyone know what the price tag for that is expected to be?

Punters are people too!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:50 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:33 pm
I wonder if they will make another push for more funding after us making it to the semifinals? Would be amazing to have the indoor practice field built within 2 years. Anyone know what the price tag for that is expected to be?
In the range of $30-40 million. That’s for the indoor they said they wanted in the master plan.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:16 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:33 pm
Unless someone on this board wins the lotto, we aren't getting an indoor in 2 years. We just finished raising $18M for the north end zone complex which we haven't even broken ground on. I'm guessing Leon hit up pretty much every possible big-money donor he could come up with, to raise that money. You have to give your donors a break at this point.

Construction of the north end zone complex will start over the next few months, and be completed around June 2021 (16 month project) and perhaps after that, they will start fundraising for the next facility improvement. But I don't see how they start any sooner than that.

I think the best thing to do for the short term is raise another 1 million or so (not sure of cost) and put up a big practice bubble so the team can practice in bad weather.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:13 pm

That practice facility cost has to be wrong. If the structure encloses an area 120 yds by 60 yards, the cost per square foot is $460 to $620. I assume with the new facilities being added that there won't be any locker rooms or other amenities. This seems to be off by a factor of 10.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caturday » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:26 pm

rivercat wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:13 pm
That practice facility cost has to be wrong. If the structure encloses an area 120 yds by 60 yards, the cost per square foot is $460 to $620. I assume with the new facilities being added that there won't be any locker rooms or other amenities. This seems to be off by a factor of 10.
The master plan showed an indoor track and some limited stands in the indoor practice facility. I’m guessing they’re setting it up for multiple use and that will add significant cost to the project vs only a facility for football practice.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:02 pm

rivercat wrote:
If you look at the facilities plan on MSU's website, this is much more than just a building shell with a football field inside. There would in fact be locker rooms and training facilities among other things aside from the practice areas.

bozely
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bozely » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:31 pm

rivercat wrote:
Have you even taken a passing glance at the plans? This shouldn't even be an issue.

A new era of football is here, UofM no longer will be the sole power in a much stronger Big Sky. ESG GCG

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:33 pm

rivercat wrote:
It’s 2019, man! By my math, that works out to $280/sq ft based on your numbers. I don’t know when the last time you did a construction project was, but that’s well within the normal range of costs. Hell, the new dorm, which is really cheap space is well over $300/sq ft. Same with the new engineering & business buildings.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:35 pm

bozely wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:31 pm
rivercat wrote:
Have you even taken a passing glance at the plans? This shouldn't even be an issue.
Yep. The turf alone is at least $1m. $18 m actually seems unrealistically low.

fsburr1
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by fsburr1 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:00 pm

I'm wondering if they are going to throw in the insurance money and move the North and South gym rebuilds in with the practice facility projecy. Would make sense for economies of scale and location. That would put the project into the 30-40 mil range. Would also leave Cruzado with additional prime classroom space in place of the old gyms.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:26 pm

fsburr1 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:00 pm
I'm wondering if they are going to throw in the insurance money and move the North and South gym rebuilds in with the practice facility projecy. Would make sense for economies of scale and location. That would put the project into the 30-40 mil range. Would also leave Cruzado with additional prime classroom space in place of the old gyms.
That’s what I was thinking too. Just speculating though. I have no insider info. They lost gym space though, basketball courts, Indoor running track, etc. The new indoor does include a track, but no gym space/courts that I could see.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:47 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:26 pm
fsburr1 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:00 pm
That’s what I was thinking too. Just speculating though. I have no insider info. They lost gym space though, basketball courts, Indoor running track, etc. The new indoor does include a track, but no gym space/courts that I could see.
I think it's two different pots of money. The functions of north and south gym were primarily for intramural general student body use. Whereas the indoor practice facility would be uses primarily for athletics.