Stadium Expansion Question

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Stadium Expansion Question

Post by gtapp » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Any one know or have a guess as to how far along the stadium expansion will be by the start of the 2020 football season? I know completion will not be till the summer of 2021 but will at least the outer structure be done to at least give the look of a finished structure and help to close in the stadium a little bit.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Stadium Expansion Question

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Another question - when are we scheduled to break ground?

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:27 pm

I think I heard final renderings would be out sometime in January. I would expect them to break ground shortly after that.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:31 pm

I remember reading or hearing that construction starts after the completion of this season, much like what Cats15 said.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:32 pm

gtapp wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:23 pm
Any one know or have a guess as to how far along the stadium expansion will be by the start of the 2020 football season? I know completion will not be till the summer of 2021 but will at least the outer structure be done to at least give the look of a finished structure and help to close in the stadium a little bit.

hmmm, I just assumed it would pretty much be done before the start of next season? I know they are two totally different projects, but they were able to complete the entire endzone project in one off season...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:34 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:32 pm
gtapp wrote:

hmmm, I just assumed it would pretty much be done before the start of next season? I know they are two totally different projects, but they were able to complete the entire endzone project in one off season...
Nope, it's set to open summer of 2021.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:37 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:34 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:32 pm
gtapp wrote:

Nope, it's set to open summer of 2021.
Project will bid in January, early February. Break ground when weather allows in March. As 91 noted, scheduled to be done summer 2021.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:44 pm

gtapp wrote:
Yes, it’ll be framed up by the start of next season.

HotTubHigh
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HotTubHigh » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Is seating capacity being expanded? Based on stated capacity of 17,777, MSU averaged well over that and had in excess of 19,000 at four games this year.

I haven't been to a game at MSU for a few years. Is every game literally sold to capacity and did 1,000 - 2,000 people not have seats for many games this season?

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:54 pm

I talked with Leon at Cat-Chat before Cat/Griz and he said they won't even take bids until after the Holiday season. Leon said due to that, the earliest they would start breaking ground would be towards the end of February, and that was being generous he said. This came directly from Leon.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:06 pm

I don't believe this phase of the project has anything to do with stadium expansion or adding any end zone seating.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:06 pm
I don't believe this phase of the project has anything to do with stadium expansion or adding any end zone seating.
I agree. I think it does add to the look and may help with the retention of noise of the stadium. Both will remain to be seen.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:06 pm

gtapp wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:24 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
I agree. I think it does add to the look and may help with the retention of noise of the stadium. Both will remain to be seen.
From all the announcements I’ve read, this is just for the football facility and field house improvements, no stadium seating. In fact, Costello said the blockhouses in the end zone will stay up until the facility is completed. Costello also said that the East grandstands is phase two. That surprised me since everything that’s been put out there before this announcement indicated that the indoor facility would be phase two.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:06 pm
gtapp wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
From all the announcements I’ve read, this is just for the football facility and field house improvements, no stadium seating. In fact, Costello said the blockhouses in the end zone will stay up until the facility is completed. Costello also said that the East grandstands is phase two. That surprised me since everything that’s been put out there before this announcement indicated that the indoor facility would be phase two.
That would tend to tell me there's donor money lined up to go specifically toward the east sidelines. It's their next best place to go for donor money.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 am

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 am
AFCAT wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
That would tend to tell me there's donor money lined up to go specifically toward the east sidelines. It's their next best place to go for donor money.
I don't think so. The next donor money will be something on campus. Costello mentioned it was athletics turn for the money.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:51 am

allcat wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 am
KittieKop wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
I don't think so. The next donor money will be something on campus. Costello mentioned it was athletics turn for the money.
Depends on what the next campaign is aimed at. You could have a donor that has specifically earmarked a donation for the stands. In which case, they have started phase 2. Either way, it might not be their (the Foundation) main focus in the near term.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:54 pm
I talked with Leon at Cat-Chat before Cat/Griz and he said they won't even take bids until after the Holiday season. Leon said due to that, the earliest they would start breaking ground would be towards the end of February, and that was being generous he said. This came directly from Leon.
Leon has some familiarity with the permitting planning process in Bozeman. They will be really lucky to have a permit by March 1.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 am

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:51 am
allcat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Depends on what the next campaign is aimed at. You could have a donor that has specifically earmarked a donation for the stands. In which case, they have started phase 2. Either way, it might not be their (the Foundation) main focus in the near term.
I thought the east grandstands were phase 0.5. They were painted over the summer. That should hold them for another 20 years, right?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 am
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:51 am
allcat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
I thought the east grandstands were phase 0.5. They were painted over the summer. That should hold them for another 20 years, right?
For people with tickets over in the East Grandstand, how is that new paint job wearing so far this year? Is the paint really sticking down well or do you see any spots coming up? That was so rusted, i'm curious how the new paint is sticking.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:13 am

"For people with tickets over in the East Grandstand, how is that new paint job wearing so far this year? Is the paint really sticking down well or do you see any spots coming up? That was so rusted, i'm curious how the new paint is sticking."

Everything looks good around where I stand. (Haven't sat much lately). But, it may be early for any rust spots to show up again.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.