Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

godanesgo99
New Recruit

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by godanesgo99 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:40 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:05 pm
godanesgo99 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:24 pm
PapaG wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:56 am

Alllll-bany is smaller than Billings.
Billings Montana Population: 109,642
Billings Montana MSA (Metro Service Area) 169,728

Albany, NY Population: 98,251
Albany NY MSA Population: 1.17 Million

The city of Albany is small from a residential perspective, but that is because of urban sprawl. Under 100k people live in the city of Albany but over 400k people work in the city. That 1.17 million people in the MSA is for people within about 30 miles in all directions.

If you compare it by nationwide Media Market size: https://newsgeneration.com/broadcast-re ... o-markets/

Albany is the 59th largest market in the country. Billings isn't in the top 100.

I am not trying to brag. In fact just the opposite. We are a fairly major market and can't draw more than 4,000 fans on average for the season? Can't draw more than 1,700 for a PLAYOFF game? WTF. Albany sucks as a sports fan, unless you play at the highest level. We would support an ACC team or a top level pro team just fine, but a minor league team or a FCS team or a mid-major for basketball? Good luck getting anyone to give a damn.

Anyway, love reading your board and analysis. Thank you to the people who have joined into the discussion on the BPF site. I am predicting the cats beat the dogs by 2 touchdowns and a field goal, but anything can happen and I hope my team pulls off an upset. There were ZERO expectations on this season beyond our coach getting fired, but he turned it around and produced a surprising winner. Let's all just hope for a competitive fun game regardless of who wins.
Do the Albany Patroons still exist? I always thought that was a cool nickname (CBA basketball franchise I believe).

A lot of east coast cities appear to have small populations. I know Harrisburg, PA is an example. The reason being cities out there can't annex territory without the County's approval. Thus a lot of cities are landlocked and can't grow in acreage. So it's always good to look at the metro population to get a more realistic idea.
They closed down for a long time, but restarted a few years back. Great history with some NBA HOF coaches getting their start there. They play at the armory and it doesn't sit very many. I've never been. We had an AFL team, led the league in attendance, won this years Arena Bowl, but then the league just announced it is closing down sadly. Those games were fun.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:53 pm

godanesgo99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

The city of Albany is small from a residential perspective, but that is because of urban sprawl. Under 100k people live in the city of Albany but over 400k people work in the city. That 1.17 million people in the MSA is for people within about 30 miles in all directions.

If you compare it by nationwide Media Market size: https://newsgeneration.com/broadcast-re ... o-markets/

Albany is the 59th largest market in the country. Billings isn't in the top 100.

I am not trying to brag. In fact just the opposite. We are a fairly major market and can't draw more than 4,000 fans on average for the season? Can't draw more than 1,700 for a PLAYOFF game? WTF. Albany sucks as a sports fan, unless you play at the highest level. We would support an ACC team or a top level pro team just fine, but a minor league team or a FCS team or a mid-major for basketball? Good luck getting anyone to give a damn.

Anyway, love reading your board and analysis. Thank you to the people who have joined into the discussion on the BPF site. I am predicting the cats beat the dogs by 2 touchdowns and a field goal, but anything can happen and I hope my team pulls off an upset. There were ZERO expectations on this season beyond our coach getting fired, but he turned it around and produced a surprising winner. Let's all just hope for a competitive fun game regardless of who wins.
Thanks for the info. I live in Portland (Oregon) and know zero about Allll-bany other than Siena basketball alumni I met years ago in Spokane for NCAA tournament games who taught me how to pronounce the city’s name. Here’s to a great game Saturday!!

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:56 pm

godanesgo99
New Recruit

Post by godanesgo99 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I live in Portland (Oregon) and know zero about Allll-bany other than Siena basketball alumni I met years ago in Spokane for NCAA tournament games who taught me how to pronounce the city’s name. Here’s to a great game Saturday!!
$iena is a perfect example of what I was talking about. They play at the TimesUnion Center in downtown Albany, but the School is in the Town of Colonie (Loudonville is part of Colonie). Colonie touches Albany, and it's sometimes hard to tell where one town ends and the other starts. Colonie has a population of 83k.

Can't wait to watch the game. Opposite styles provide great entertainment.

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Godanesgo99 has said much of what I had in mind. Some times we call Albany Smallbany. Another name for our area is the Capital District and another is the Tri Cities. There’s Albany, Schenectady and Troy and then all of the interconnecting suburbs. One big difference for us as opposed to Bozeman or Billings is our proximity to major metro areas. My daughter lives in NYC and if I want to spend a day there it’s not a big deal. If I want to go to Vermont or Massachusetts for the day...same thing. The Northeast is tiny compared to Montana. So when you say Billings is bigger...yeah, city population wise...but Albany County alone has about 310,000 people. I live in Saratoga County, which has about 230,000. So our city cores are not big. Speaking of the Patroons, we were flying back from FLA once back in the 80s. We landed in Albany and a real talk guy was ducking down the aisle of the plane as we got off. I realized it was Phil Jackson, then the Patroons coach. They also had George Karl for quite a while. For those not in the know, Patroons is a reference to the practice of giving lands to people as a manor type system...Dutch...Albany was settled by the Dutch...and that’s it, time to finish making dinner.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:56 pm

UA Fan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:41 pm
Godanesgo99 has said much of what I had in mind. Some times we call Albany Smallbany. Another name for our area is the Capital District and another is the Tri Cities. There’s Albany, Schenectady and Troy and then all of the interconnecting suburbs. One big difference for us as opposed to Bozeman or Billings is our proximity to major metro areas. My daughter lives in NYC and if I want to spend a day there it’s not a big deal. If I want to go to Vermont or Massachusetts for the day...same thing. The Northeast is tiny compared to Montana. So when you say Billings is bigger...yeah, city population wise...but Albany County alone has about 310,000 people. I live in Saratoga County, which has about 230,000. So our city cores are not big. Speaking of the Patroons, we were flying back from FLA once back in the 80s. We landed in Albany and a real talk guy was ducking down the aisle of the plane as we got off. I realized it was Phil Jackson, then the Patroons coach. They also had George Karl for quite a while. For those not in the know, Patroons is a reference to the practice of giving lands to people as a manor type system...Dutch...Albany was settled by the Dutch...and that’s it, time to finish making dinner.
Another Montana connection for you. Phil Jackson was born in Deer Lodge, Montana and lives up near Flathead Lake, Montana now.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:41 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:56 pm
UA Fan wrote:
Another Montana connection for you. Phil Jackson was born in Deer Lodge, Montana and lives up near Flathead Lake, Montana now.
Phil graduated from Williston high school. For those of you unfamiliar with Williston it’s the nicer part of Montana! LOL
I don’t believe prior to high school that he lived in Wolf Point Montana for a time.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:06 am

UA Fan wrote:
Well this getting pretty fun. George Karl was the head coach of the Montana Golden Nuggets-a short lived CBA franchise in Great Falls back in the early '80's.
The closest "big" city to Bozeman with a major pro sports franchise is Salt Lake City, a mere 6 hour drive away. We do have some direct flights to Newark and LaGuardia-at least at certain times of the year.

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:38 am

Great coincidences!

As a lifelong NY Giants fan I used to hate Joe Montana, but I guess that doesn’t count. :D
And who can forget Tony “say hello to my little friend” Montana? I know I’d like to.

I took a refresher look at the Patroons and note that Bill Musselman was also a coach for a while. No Montana connections though.

Ughhhh. My God we need a football game already!!

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 am

godanesgo99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

2019 Montana population 1.09 Million
I’m doing almost 7 hours for the game tomorrow. Puts it in perspective.

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:18 am

kwcat wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:41 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:56 pm
UA Fan wrote:
Phil graduated from Williston high school. For those of you unfamiliar with Williston it’s the nicer part of Montana! LOL
I don’t believe prior to high school that he lived in Wolf Point Montana for a time.
Yes, Williston, North Dakota is very...quaint and....desolate? Lol

A charming oil boom town, with the atmosphere of a old 19th century Montana mining town. Butte in its prime. :lol:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:12 am

UA Fan wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:38 am
Great coincidences!

As a lifelong NY Giants fan I used to hate Joe Montana, but I guess that doesn’t count. :D
And who can forget Tony “say hello to my little friend” Montana? I know I’d like to.

I took a refresher look at the Patroons and note that Bill Musselman was also a coach for a while. No Montana connections though.

Joe Montana’s son, Nate, played in 8 games for the um griz. Your hatred is well placed then. :D

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:12 am
UA Fan wrote:
Great coincidences!

Joe Montana’s son, Nate, played in 8 games for the um griz. Your hatred is well placed then. :D
Joe Montana was the QB for the 49ers. Former MSU great Center Mike Person is the starting right Guard this year for the Niners.

The six degrees of separation game is fun!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:59 am

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 am
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:12 am
UA Fan wrote:
Great coincidences!

Joe Montana was the QB for the 49ers. Former MSU great Center Mike Person is the starting right Guard this year for the Niners.

The six degrees of separation game is fun!
Person was the left tackle at MSU.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:58 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:09 pm
Gird up thy loins. They're calling this one the Undercuffler Kerfuffle Scuffle of 2019.
You know you will need to lock this 14 page so far thread, and start a new one for the ACTUAL GAME, right?

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:25 am

Ismay, Montana was briefly renamed Joe, Montana.

In other news relevant to this thread ...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 am

JDoub wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:58 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Gird up thy loins. They're calling this one the Undercuffler Kerfuffle Scuffle of 2019.
You know you will need to lock this 14 page so far thread, and start a new one for the ACTUAL GAME, right?
It's not 'official" until @catsrback76 says it is. :!:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:45 am

JDoub wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
I. Know. NOTHING!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:53 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 am
JDoub wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
It's not 'official" until @catsrback76 says it is. :!:
game threads cant be started until gameday, @catsrback76 has the jump on us for that, with his location game day comes sooner for him

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:53 am