Albany coach Greg Gattuso, CAA Conference Call

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lutecat
Member # Retired

Re: Albany coach Greg Gattuso, CAA Conference Call

Post by lutecat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:43 am

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:25 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:59 pm
Listening to their coach-he reminds a little of Craig Bohl. He said all the right things, but he doesn't sound the least concerned about Montana State. He seems extremely confident in his team. So I've been having flashbacks to 2010. MSU was coming off a huge win over the griz. We secured a first round bye. We watched NDSU play Robert Morris. Even though NDSU won easily, they really didn't look that impressive. NDSU had an okay season, but their schedule and results didn't worry anyone. MSU was heavily favored and we were all super confident. NDSU had a freshman quarterback-Brock Jensen. A big strapping kid-but didn't really scare our defense. Then came game day. Beautiful weather. If I remember right, we held a slight lead going into the 4th quarter. But then our defense, worn to a pulp by a punishing NDSU offensive line, just folded and the score got out of hand really quick. Somebody talk me from the ledge. I started the week thinking we are going to roll...but then 2010 pops into my head.
settle down, UA is nowhere close to as physical or has as many athletes at the 2010 Bizon, This MSU defense is way better and deeper than the 2010 Cats were. This years MSU team is a lot more like the 2010 Bizon than anything I have seen in awhile.
We lost DM for the last part of that game didn't we? And the air just got let out of us after that happened.

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:14 am

lutecat wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:43 am
cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Listening to their coach-he reminds a little of Craig Bohl. He said all the right things, but he doesn't sound the least concerned about Montana State. He seems extremely confident in his team. So I've been having flashbacks to 2010. MSU was coming off a huge win over the griz. We secured a first round bye. We watched NDSU play Robert Morris. Even though NDSU won easily, they really didn't look that impressive. NDSU had an okay season, but their schedule and results didn't worry anyone. MSU was heavily favored and we were all super confident. NDSU had a freshman quarterback-Brock Jensen. A big strapping kid-but didn't really scare our defense. Then came game day. Beautiful weather. If I remember right, we held a slight lead going into the 4th quarter. But then our defense, worn to a pulp by a punishing NDSU offensive line, just folded and the score got out of hand really quick. Somebody talk me from the ledge. I started the week thinking we are going to roll...but then 2010 pops into my head.
settle down, UA is nowhere close to as physical or has as many athletes at the 2010 Bizon, This MSU defense is way better and deeper than the 2010 Cats were. This years MSU team is a lot more like the 2010 Bizon than anything I have seen in awhile.
We lost DM for the last part of that game didn't we? And the air just got let out of us after that happened.
I don’t recall losing DM. I do recall OD putting the ball on the turf 2-3 times. I also recall both our lines being dominated in that game. Looking back I wonder how we stayed in that game as long as we did. But back to this game, I don’t anticipate our lines being overmatched in this game, But who knows, that’s why play the game.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 am

Pecos24 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:14 am
lutecat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I don’t recall losing DM. I do recall OD putting the ball on the turf 2-3 times. I also recall both our lines being dominated in that game. Looking back I wonder how we stayed in that game as long as we did. But back to this game, I don’t anticipate our lines being overmatched in this game, But who knows, that’s why play the game.
Jensen was knocked out in the first quarter.

McGhee hurt his shoulder and sat out a key series late in the fourth quarter and the last series. Davis fumbled twice, but neither led to a NDSU score, but one ended a promising MSU drive in the fourth quarter.

The score was 21-17 with ndsu up. From the MSU 8, McGhee was hurt on a short run and Kempt came in and threw 2 incomplete passes. A short punt gave Ndsu the ball on the MSU 38 with 5:37 to play. DJ McNorton scored on the first play, MSU with McGhee back in drove to midfield, but turned it over on downs and McNorton scored again on the next play. McGhee threw an interception that was returned to the 10 and NDSU scored two plays later.

So NDSU scored 21 points (on 61 plays) in the first 54:23 and another 21 (on four plays) in 5:37. NDSU was 5-19-1 passing for 56 yards, but ran for 376 (210 in 4th quarter). NDSU had just 210 total yards entering the fourth quarter. People see the score and think MSU was blown out. It was a great game for 54:23, but an epic collapse in the last 5:37. NDSU lost to EWU 38-31 the next week.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:43 am

Actually Brock Jensen wasn't the starter that game. Their starter, whose name I don't recall, got hurt in the first half and Jensen came in and finished the game.

The fumble in the 4th quarter definitely hurt, but the play that I remember being the most deflating was when Jensen took a naked bootleg for about 50 yards. It was third down and we needed a stop, but our entire defense followed the fake to McNorton, and Jensen ran the boot down the sideline for about 50 yards right in front of the MSU bench. That sucked.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:49 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 am
Pecos24 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Jensen was knocked out in the first quarter.

McGhee hurt his shoulder and sat out a key series late in the fourth quarter and the last series. Davis fumbled twice, but neither led to a NDSU score, but one ended a promising MSU drive in the fourth quarter.

The score was 21-17 with ndsu up. From the MSU 8, McGhee was hurt on a short run and Kempt came in and threw 2 incomplete passes. A short punt gave Ndsu the ball on the MSU 38 with 5:37 to play. DJ McNorton scored on the first play, MSU with McGhee back in drove to midfield, but turned it over on downs and McNorton scored again on the next play. McGhee threw an interception that was returned to the 10 and NDSU scored two plays later.

So NDSU scored 21 points (on 61 plays) in the first 54:23 and another 21 (on four plays) in 5:37. NDSU was 5-19-1 passing for 56 yards, but ran for 376 (210 in 4th quarter). NDSU had just 210 total yards entering the fourth quarter. People see the score and think MSU was blown out. It was a great game for 54:23, but an epic collapse in the last 5:37. NDSU lost to EWU 38-31 the next week.
WOW! your memory of this game is absolutely incredible! Or do you have it recorded somewhere?

Hating the griz since 02.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:56 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:43 am
Actually Brock Jensen wasn't the starter that game. Their starter, whose name I don't recall, got hurt in the first half and Jensen came in and finished the game.

The fumble in the 4th quarter definitely hurt, but the play that I remember being the most deflating was when Jensen took a naked bootleg for about 50 yards. It was third down and we needed a stop, but our entire defense followed the fake to McNorton, and Jensen ran the boot down the sideline for about 50 yards right in front of the MSU bench. That sucked.
You’re memory’s not so good. You have Jensen and Jose Mohler backward. Jensen was concussed in the first half. That was Mohler on the bootleg. John Laidet was held on that play to spring it. It led to the go ahead TD. MSU stopped them the next two drives, but the wheels fell off in the waning minutes.

The game was looking like a classic. After trading punts MSU had two big plays to get the ball to the 47, but Davis ran into an OL and lost the ball. Fluke play. I think MSU would’ve scored on that drive and who knows what happens then. The ending really spoiled a great game.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:23 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:56 am
The ending really spoiled a great game.
This is my entire takeaway from that game.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
NDSU lost to EWU 38-31 the next week.
With today's replay rules NDSU probably beats EWU that game. If I remember correctly they had a TD on 4th and goal called short of the endzone. Replay clearly showed the ball crossed but it wasn't reviewable???
NDSU could very well have another championship and EWU none if that play gets overturned.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
With today's replay rules NDSU probably beats EWU that game. If I remember correctly they had a TD on 4th and goal called short of the endzone. Replay clearly showed the ball crossed but it wasn't reviewable???
NDSU could very well have another championship and EWU none if that play gets overturned.
I thought it was reviewed, back then didn't they have review from the quarter finals on, The way I remember it was the called it a fumble, EWU recovery, it looked like the ball broke the plane before the fumble, but they didn't overturn the call on the field. It was snowing and the video wasn't great and the field looked pink.

NDSU fans are still pissed about it, I think the review reff was Bill Fett, mention his name on Bisonville and you will probably get banned :lol:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:03 am

LTown Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
It was in OT. On second down Jensen tried to run it in and was stopped short. The controversy was they ruled he fumbled, but it looked like the ground caused the fumble. EWU recovered in the end zone. It should’ve been NDSU ball at foot-line on third down. Replay is still on YouTube.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:03 am
LTown Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
It was in OT. On second down Jensen tried to run it in and was stopped short. The controversy was they ruled he fumbled, but it looked like the ground caused the fumble. EWU recovered in the end zone. It should’ve been NDSU ball at foot-line on third down. Replay is still on YouTube.
Good memory, My recollection above was wrong. I knew a fumble was involved, must have conflated it with some other game

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:22 am

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 am

Well in any case...there are many similarities between our matchup with NDSU then and our matchup with Albany now. But the greatest difference is probably that there's no way in the world Albany will ever be NDSU. But still, I like to worry about stuff like that.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:09 am

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:03 am
LTown Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Good memory, My recollection above was wrong. I knew a fumble was involved, must have conflated it with some other game
My recollection was also wrong--no surprise! I just remember thinking that NDSU really got hosed!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:17 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 am
Well in any case...there are many similarities between our matchup with NDSU then and our matchup with Albany now. But the greatest difference is probably that there's no way in the world Albany will ever be NDSU. But still, I like to worry about stuff like that.
In fairness to Albany, nobody will ever be NDSU. Nobody!

Hating the griz since 02.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 am
I like to think/hope that maybe we are the NDSU. One could argue that the upset playoff win over MSU was what started their run. Here's to hoping that MSU beats Albany, then goes to SAC and NDSU and gets an upset playoff win to start a run of championships!! :suds:

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:37 am

cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
In the words of Aaron Rodgers ... RELAX

Biggest difference, and only difference that matters, is Choate vs. Ash. Ash could never handle big moments and big games. Nearly always collapsed. Again, such a shame because the talent on some of those teams was incredible.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am

msuhunter wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:37 am
cats2506 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
In the words of Aaron Rodgers ... RELAX

Biggest difference, and only difference that matters, is Choate vs. Ash. Ash could never handle big moments and big games. Nearly always collapsed. Again, such a shame because the talent on some of those teams was incredible.
Another difference I see in Ash vs Choate teams is the Ash teams seemed to limp into the playoffs. Choate teams are still strong at the end of the regular season

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 am

As fans, there is a fine line between being over-the-top cocky and expecting to win every single game like some fanbases we know, and expecting the worst no matter what the team shows us on the field. I'd love it if more of our fanbase found the happy medium. Another poster had a great comment about these weeks ago; that our fanbase is almost scared of success. That's what it seems like to me.

I'm not suggesting that we're NDSU. No one is. But at some point even that dynasty will take a step back like every team in any sports in all of history. So some team is going to have to beat them, and some program is going to have to be in that position to vie for titles every year. Why not the Cats? Dare I say why not the Griz? Our programs are trending in the right direction. We have resources to be title contenders. It's up to the team to take that step. But as fans it's up to us to start believing we can do it.

Me predicting we should win this game by a couple td's is not being cocky. It's me believing this team is good. And it's me believing that if we're EVER going to take the necessary steps to being an elite program, we NEED to win 2nd round games at home after a week off by a couple td's. I just don't see any reason why we can't. Maybe I have blinders on?

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:54 am

The biggest difference in the NDSU game and an Ash coached team was conditioning.
At that time in our history when the game got tight, you could see our conditioning was poor. This is no reflection on the players we had at the time. We had some great athletes. But again the conditioning was not good overall for the team.
As a fan base at that time, we bordered on hubris .
Many fans that I recall made fun of North Dakota State for being a dome team and wouldn’t be able to play in those conditions. Surprise surprise!
None of us know what the University of Albany game will be like. That is why it’s always best to walk softly and carry a big well conditioned stick! LOL

Go Cats! Take care of business and MoveOn!

( sorry I didn’t proofread my first post very well. Fixed the mistakes. )
Last edited by kwcat on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.