Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Dang. I read through this whole thread again to find the fans calling the Cats the FBS version of Alabama or Clemson! For some reason I can’t find that, despite what was said on their board.

This is a weird week!

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:44 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm
UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:17 pm
kmax wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm
UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:56 pm
Oh, speaking of cow town.....I couldn’t help but chuckle as I registered and had to prove I wasn’t a bot...and discovered MSU has a bunch of rodeo national championships. Man, you gotta own that! Be proud.
We are definitely proud of the Rodeo Team and the legacy of this being a traditional Ag school, no doubt. In case you hadn't seen the videos our Rodeo team regularly leads the football team onto the field before games.
That is definitely cool! I like it a lot. For one season we had the coach’s 150 lb Great Dane pup lead the team onto the field. No horses though. We actually have no shortage of horses or dairy cows around here. The Saratoga racetrack is about a 20 min drive from where I’m sitting.

One thing I didn’t get into before was Northeast football culture. I imagine in Montana you basically have to declare on a birth certificate if the baby is a Bobcat or Grizzly fan. Sort of like Alabama and Auburn. When I grew up there were 2 local college division FB teams...basically D3. The only “big time” programs in NY were Syracuse and Army. The rest were the 1AA variety like Colgate, Cornell, Hofstra and the like. SUNY schools were slow to get on board until they got a little more autonomy. Buffalo was the first to break into FBS and still the only state school at that level. Then there’s UA and Stony Brook in FCS. The rest are D3. At the same time, the only “big time” program in New England was Boston College. Plus the Ivies down a peg. So it was slim pickings. I think that’s one reason we struggle with attendance is that so few people in the area had experienced college game days. The closest legit power when I was a kid was Penn State...so I used to root for Penn State. Albany is 2 1/2 hours from NYC by train and about 3 hours to Boston. People will travel to see the Yanks or the Sox, but probably wouldn’t cross the street for a college football game. I do envy the fan passion of these long existing program fans.
Yeah, I remember listening to one of the on air ESPN personalities from the Northeast saying how hard it was to get anyone interested in talking college football back when he was a local sports radio guy. They'll talk all day long about baseball, but not college football.
That’s absolutely true. Our local ESPN station has a morning local talk show whose host is a long time area sportscaster and the play by play voice for UA FB and MBB. Not much college football talk, but NBA, MLB, NFL, all the time. I’m not much of a baseball fan and if there’s anything worse than watching baseball it’s hearing people talk about it.

Oh, and I do like the Brady-Bozeman connection....maybe some magic will happen. :D

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:59 pm

UA Fan wrote:
That is definitely cool! I like it a lot. For one season we had the coach’s 150 lb Great Dane pup lead the team onto the field. No horses though. We actually have no shortage of horses or dairy cows around here. The Saratoga racetrack is about a 20 min drive from where I’m sitting.

One thing I didn’t get into before was Northeast football culture. I imagine in Montana you basically have to declare on a birth certificate if the baby is a Bobcat or Grizzly fan. Sort of like Alabama and Auburn. When I grew up there were 2 local college division FB teams...basically D3. The only “big time” programs in NY were Syracuse and Army. The rest were the 1AA variety like Colgate, Cornell, Hofstra and the like. SUNY schools were slow to get on board until they got a little more autonomy. Buffalo was the first to break into FBS and still the only state school at that level. Then there’s UA and Stony Brook in FCS. The rest are D3. At the same time, the only “big time” program in New England was Boston College. Plus the Ivies down a peg. So it was slim pickings. I think that’s one reason we struggle with attendance is that so few people in the area had experienced college game days. The closest legit power when I was a kid was Penn State...so I used to root for Penn State. Albany is 2 1/2 hours from NYC by train and about 3 hours to Boston. People will travel to see the Yanks or the Sox, but probably wouldn’t cross the street for a college football game. I do envy the fan passion of these long existing program fans.
Lol...I traveled to London to see the Yankees and Red Sox this year. We have a lot of passionate sports fans out here. The NFL and FCS football rules the day, but we have a lot of informed fans here. I've lived with both rivalries (Montana/Montana State and Yankees/Red Sox) at the heart of my sports lives. The Montana Grizzly fandom is a lot like the New York Yankee fandom. Both are very avid and, as a whole, absolutely uninformed about the intricacies of their team. They either are the best ever or the coach/GM/AD needs to be fired. There is little in-between. They do often know the game between the lines, however. Old Bobcat fans are a lot like old fans of the Red Sox or (probably more appropriately) the Baltimore Orioles. They understand the game better than most, are loyal to a fault, and generally would rather win with guys that want to be there rather than get better players who don't fit into the culture. Newer Bobcat fans are a lot like new Boston Red Sox fans. They cheer really loud, sometimes at completely wrong times, sing Sweet Caroline like it's their birthright, and - as @Catprint would say, really aren't that upset with a loss because they came for the event anyhow. I'm proud to say that the crowd here is evolving quite a bit and has been insane twice in the last two years (the crowd at last year's playoff game vs. UIW was great for its size and this year's Cat-Griz matchup was the best atmosphere I've ever seen).

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:23 pm

UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:44 pm

That’s absolutely true. Our local ESPN station has a morning local talk show whose host is a long time area sportscaster and the play by play voice for UA FB and MBB. Not much college football talk, but NBA, MLB, NFL, all the time. I’m not much of a baseball fan and if there’s anything worse than watching baseball it’s hearing people talk about it.

Oh, and I do like the Brady-Bozeman connection....maybe some magic will happen. :D
Dane Fletcher, a former Bobcat player and current Bozeman businessman, also played for the Patriots during Super Bowl 46.
Last edited by AFCAT on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:37 pm
Dang. I read through this whole thread again to find the fans calling the Cats the FBS version of Alabama or Clemson! For some reason I can’t find that, despite what was said on their board.

This is a weird week!
Maybe you need to check the Alabama and Clemson forums, they might be claiming they are the FBS version of the Bobcats.....

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:07 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:59 pm
UA Fan wrote:

Lol...I traveled to London to see the Yankees and Red Sox this year. We have a lot of passionate sports fans out here. The NFL and FCS football rules the day, but we have a lot of informed fans here. I've lived with both rivalries (Montana/Montana State and Yankees/Red Sox) at the heart of my sports lives. The Montana Grizzly fandom is a lot like the New York Yankee fandom. Both are very avid and, as a whole, absolutely uninformed about the intricacies of their team. They either are the best ever or the coach/GM/AD needs to be fired. There is little in-between. They do often know the game between the lines, however. Old Bobcat fans are a lot like old fans of the Red Sox or (probably more appropriately) the Baltimore Orioles. They understand the game better than most, are loyal to a fault, and generally would rather win with guys that want to be there rather than get better players who don't fit into the culture. Newer Bobcat fans are a lot like new Boston Red Sox fans. They cheer really loud, sometimes at completely wrong times, sing Sweet Caroline like it's their birthright, and - as @Catprint would say, really aren't that upset with a loss because they came for the event anyhow. I'm proud to say that the crowd here is evolving quite a bit and has been insane twice in the last two years (the crowd at last year's playoff game vs. UIW was great for its size and this year's Cat-Griz matchup was the best atmosphere I've ever seen).
That’s a long way to go for a ball game! We were In London earlier this year, but not for baseball. Our first time there....enjoyed it. The Albany metro area is primarily Yankees and Giants territory,but there’s a strong Bosox contingent and a good amount of Jets and Bills fans. UAlbany hosted the Giants summer trading camp for quite a few seasons before they built the new stadium training facility in NJ. My Mom’s family was from eastern Mass and my Dad grew up locally so I tell people I’m a product of a mixed marriage (baseball wise.) Cooperstown is an easy day trip from here and a nice town to visit...especially if you’re a baseball fanatic.

Just a weather update......18.5” where I am and. Still. Snowing. It’s great to be retired!

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 pm

UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:07 pm

That’s a long way to go for a ball game! We were In London earlier this year, but not for baseball. Our first time there....enjoyed it. The Albany metro area is primarily Yankees and Giants territory,but there’s a strong Bosox contingent and a good amount of Jets and Bills fans. UAlbany hosted the Giants summer trading camp for quite a few seasons before they built the new stadium training facility in NJ. My Mom’s family was from eastern Mass and my Dad grew up locally so I tell people I’m a product of a mixed marriage (baseball wise.) Cooperstown is an easy day trip from here and a nice town to visit...especially if you’re a baseball fanatic.

Just a weather update......18.5” where I am and. Still. Snowing. It’s great to be retired!
I go back East a lot. My wife went to Hofstra, which I'm sure you know hosted the Jets training camp when they used to have a football program.. Her family is on Long Island, but we make it up to see her cousin and his partner in Hudson about once a year. I've yet to make it to Cooperstown, but am considering the trip for Jeter's induction ceremony next year.

The Big Meowski

Post by The Big Meowski » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:38 pm

UA Fan wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:59 pm
UA Fan wrote:

My dad is from Adams, Mass, just across the border. If you could have the guys bring a couple cases of Moxie with the equipment, that would be great!

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:42 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 pm
UA Fan wrote:

I go back East a lot. My wife went to Hofstra, which I'm sure you know hosted the Jets training camp when they used to have a football program.. Her family is on Long Island, but we make it up to see her cousin and his partner in Hudson about once a year. I've yet to make it to Cooperstown, but am considering the trip for Jeter's induction ceremony next year.
When I first read your latest I thought you meant when the Jets used to have a football program! That’s about right. Put the Jets and the Giants together this year and you might get one lousy team instead of two. Well, at least I can enjoy the agony of watching Jerry Jones losing his marbles in the owners’ box. The Bills have long been my #2 NFL team so I’ll have to ride that horse. Yes, go to Cooperstown. The lake is pretty. They’ve kept basically all franchise type eateries and lodging out of the village proper, so it’s got a nice vibe. Hudson is almost in Albany’s backyard so you’re close.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:23 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 pm
UA Fan wrote:

If you could get me an autograph from Jeter I would really appreciate it :) :) YANKEE Fan since 1951.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Sac_hornets wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 pm
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 pm
Sac_hornets wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:20 pm
Sac_hornets wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:05 pm
msuhunter wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 am
We are the much better team. We should win going away. Here’s to hoping Sac lays an egg in their game and we host 2 games. Game should be fun but the real playoffs start in the quarterfinals.
Lol, let’s hope MSU lays an egg. Your way to over confident
“Your way to?” Are you sure you didn’t go to um?
Actually I hope you don’t lay an egg, so we can kick your ass all over again!
Thanks for bringing the message board back to reality! First the Cats must play and beat Albany. At this point it’s the only game that matters. Having you show up tells me how you think this game will go so thanks for vote of confidence! Should the Cats win I look forward to chatting with you next week!
Thank you for having a voice of reason. We also have to take care of business. Really it is useless talking about future games, fans start dreaming of Frisco already which is so hilarious. Should the Hornets win, I also look forward to chatting with you as well! Good luck this coming weekend and go all Big Sky teams!
I really was trying for the subtle sarcasm and irony approach in my post. Must have totally missed my mark.
I was pointing out that you, by virtue of visiting our board on a week where you are (Sac) playing another team, I assume because you believe your team and our team will meet next week is a brash statement similar to those being made here but a little more subtlety.
The irony was your were mocking people for the same thing?

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:19 am

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:15 pm
UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:56 pm

I’m a lifelong Giants fan and those two Super Bowl wins over the Pats taught me that anything is possible in sports and the best team doesn’t always win.
Tom Brady does have a home about 40 miles south of Bozeman, at Big Sky ski resort, so you may have some karma working in your favor.
Didn’t know Brady had a place there.

Wasted space as far as I’m concerned.

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:36 am

UA Fan wrote:
Sounds like the storm we got Friday/Saturday/early Sunday! Hopefully it'll start melting for you as it is here, haha

Btw, here is the midweek press conference of our HC as some of us referred to earlier. First 7 minutes is his thoughts on Albany.

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:35 am

Yeah. I think it’s the same storm. Finally stopped snowing. Looked out my condo window last night and actually saw a Bobcat! Well a big old skid steer anyway, moving the white stuff.

One point...listened to a Skyline Sports podcast...somebody tell the media it’s pronounced ALL-buh-knee! Not you can call me AL-buh-knee. You don’t know how many times we hear it mispronounced by play by play and media types. It’s the capital of NY and has been an incorporated city since about 1690! Learn how to pronounce it. Ok. Rant over.

Your coach has really built up UA...hope they live up to it. Our #21 has a bit of Marshawn Lynch in him, especially when out in space. We’ve seen him literally throw a tackler to the ground...strong kid. He also moves piles and don’t even think about arm tackling him. And did I mention he’s also a very good receiver who has a habit of getting lost in the wash and popping up wide open down field? He’s not a burner, but he’s got a quick burst and enough speed to get some big yards. So I think his buildup is well placed. Of course, like everything it all starts with the OL vs DL and we won’t know till Saturday how that’ll turn out.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:14 am

UA Fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:35 am
One point...listened to a Skyline Sports podcast...somebody tell the media it’s pronounced ALL-buh-knee! Not you can call me AL-buh-knee. :lol: You don’t know how many times we hear it mispronounced by play by play and media types. It’s the capital of NY and has been an incorporated city since about 1690! Learn how to pronounce it. Ok. Rant over.
@Colter_Nuanez :lol:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:23 am

We didn’t get 18” like Albany (think it was probably just over 12” or so) but that’s still a lot to clear out of the stadium:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:28 am

Bozeman's going to be like a vacation for the men from Albany. I seriously love Coach Gattuso's attitude. Nothing like football in December!

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/artic ... 875543.php
"We're looking at it like it's a vacation,'' Gattuso quipped. "Believe me when I tell you, we're not afraid of weather. No one on this team or staff is concerned with anything to do with weather. We'll take whatever Montana has to throw at us. We know it's a loud stadium and the weather's going to be the weather. We've really got a tough group of guys. It's not going to affect us in the least. It's not even a factor."
Glad to see they are going to get here plenty early and have plenty of time to get used to the fresh air in Bozeman. It's looking to shape up to be a beautiful day for football. Speaking of fresh air, it looks like Saturday Bozeman will only be receiving about 5 miles of fresh air every hour. Gentle breeze that will not be an issue for either quarterback. Great day for some hard-nosed football!

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:28 am
Bozeman's going to be like a vacation for the men from Albany. I seriously love Coach Gattuso's attitude. Nothing like football in December!

"We're looking at it like it's a vacation,'' Gattuso quipped. "Believe me when I tell you, we're not afraid of weather. No one on this team or staff is concerned with anything to do with weather. We'll take whatever Montana has to throw at us. We know it's a loud stadium and the weather's going to be the weather. We've really got a tough group of guys. It's not going to affect us in the least. It's not even a factor."
Glad to see they are going to get here plenty early and have plenty of time to get used to the fresh air in Bozeman. It's looking to shape up to be a beautiful day for football. Speaking of fresh air, it looks like Saturday Bozeman will only be receiving about 5 miles of fresh air every hour. Gentle breeze that will not be an issue for either quarterback. Great day for some hard-nosed football!
Weather could be a huge factor, I'd rather Rush the ball in 25 mph wind than pass in it. Not predicting the weather, just sayin.

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:21 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:28 am

Although we don’t have the altitude, we sure as heck have snowy and cold weather. There’s some southern kids on the team, but a lot from PA, NJ and NY and our open flat campus is windy as heck. Gattuso is a Pittsburgh guy who played for Penn St so cold is not an issue in his mind. The Danes will apparently practice at a local soccer bubble facility with a big indoor field....until they plow off Bob Ford Field.

Another player to watch for UA is WR #20, Tyler Oedekoven. He’s a redshirt freshman from a great HS program in PA. In the last few weeks he’s had to step up to replace Donovan McDonald on returns and offense. Great hands. He made a ball pinned to the helmet circus catch against Stony Brook that was reminiscent of the David Tyree catch in the Super Bowl. So if MSU tries to shut down Green and Reeves, TO could have a big day. The key as always is giving the QB enough time...so that’ll be paramount to success.

Should be a fun chess match. I mean football game.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am

Dang, those UA message board fans are tough to please....

Cat MB Fans: "We are gonna roll. Albany only made playoffs due to not playing Nova and JMU. Undercuffler is not going to have time to pass cause he will be on his back the whole game. We will rush for 1000 yards with our OLine against their Dline."

Albany MB Fans: "They are idiots that obviously only watched one game. We beat 5 ranked teams and we never run slants. I hope their team is as overconfident as they are cause we will catch them sleeping."

Cat MB Fans: "Don't worry, the team will be ready and Choate will be gushing in his praise for your team."

Choate Monday press conference gives effusive praise as expected.

Albany MB Fans: "That coach is clueless. He obviously only watched one game if he thinks we are disciplined and don't get penalized alot or shoot ourselves in the foot. He definitely didn't watch any of our crappy games and I hope he is this clueless on Saturday."

:lol: ](*,)

Oh and just to be clear since they latched onto it over there the armory ad on the press conference video posted there is sponsoring Skyline Sports and/or the Tootell and Nuanez show, it is not sponsoring the press conference/MSU.

** Please note, all quotes above are generalizations and possibly exaggerated by me, not direct quotes from any one person. Please relax this is all in fun.