Petersen stepping down at UW!!!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

IHATEHIPPIES
BobcatNation Redshirt

Petersen stepping down at UW!!!

Post by IHATEHIPPIES » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Very interesting! Jimmy Lake the current DC named head coach. Wonder if Lake is targeting Choate for DC, hope not.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Petersen stepping down at UW!!!

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:20 pm

IHATEHIPPIES wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:17 pm
Very interesting! Jimmy Lake the current DC named head coach. Wonder if Lake is targeting Choate for DC, hope not.
Choate won't leave Bozeman for a coordinator job...even at the highest of FBS programs. I think it will be head coach or bust for him from here on out in his coaching career.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:24 pm

That's a pretty impressive career path for Jimmy Lake to go from DB coach at MSU to a head coaching job in the Pac-12 in only 14 years!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm

IHATEHIPPIES wrote:
Pete Kwiatkowski will be promoted to DC. Apparently Petersen is simply burned out on coaching and isn’t enjoying life.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:27 pm

I was panicking for a moment at the thought of losing our pipeline until I saw they’ve already named Jimmy Lake as the new HC.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:27 pm
I was panicking for a moment at the thought of losing our pipeline until I saw they’ve already named Jimmy Lake as the new HC.
Could actually even strengthen it given Lake’s personal experience at MSU.

What a ride

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:40 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:20 pm
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:
Choate won't leave Bozeman for a coordinator job...even at the highest of FBS programs. I think it will be head coach or bust for him from here on out in his coaching career.
1. The pay of a good P-5 coordinator is much, even double or more than that of a FCS HC.
2. You are much more likely to get a P-5 HC job as coordinator than a FCS HC.

The only recent FCS to P-5 head coaching hire I can remember happened last year with Klieman to Kansas State. Even Chip Kelly was the OC at Oregon before getting the job. Maybe Choate wants run his own program and is willing to wait for a Mountain West or MAC school to come looking around, but if he wants a big time job this would be a top opportunity. Looks like Kwiatkowski is the heir at DC though. Don't think he would move up for something like a Special teams job.
The other thing I worry about...… Ioane….

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:47 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:40 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:
1. The pay of a good P-5 coordinator is much, even double or more than that of a FCS HC.

The only recent FCS to P-5 head coaching hire I can remember happened last year with Klieman to Kansas State. Even Chip Kelly was the OC at Oregon before getting the job. Maybe Choate wants run his own program and is willing to wait for a Mountain West or MAC school to come looking around, but if he wants a big time job this would be a top opportunity. Looks like Kwiatkowski is the heir at DC though. Don't think he would move up for something like a Special teams job.
No...I get all of that. Choate could become a millionare if he accepted a FBS defensive coordinator job from a P-5 prgoram. Washington had Co-DC's with Lake and Pete Kwiatkowski so I'm assuming Pete will just maintain the DC role. It doesn't make financial sense for Choate to stay at MSU as HC if he gets offered a DC job at Washington. But much more goes into it.

If he can build a FCS school to compete in the long-term (like Bohl/Klineman at NDSU), he will get to jump to HC offers at P-5 programs. I think the line of thinking with Jeff not wanting to go the coordinator route, even at a P-5 school, is because he can't control what happens if his HC gets fired or underperforms. I absolutely agree an OC/DC job at a P-5 program can catapult an assistant to P-5 head coaching positions. But it's not always that easy as success isn't automatic. Does Jeff give up control of the current FCS program he's building for a massive increase in salary in the short-term or does he stick around and continue to build with a long-term focus?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

MSUBRONCO
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUBRONCO » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:01 pm

As a Seattle native and a DAWG fan this hurts, here's what local news says
https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/sp ... Fx6duyEb3k

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:11 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:47 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:

No...I get all of that. Choate could become a millionare if he accepted a FBS defensive coordinator job from a P-5 prgoram. Washington had Co-DC's with Lake and Pete Kwiatkowski so I'm assuming Pete will just maintain the DC role. It doesn't make financial sense for Choate to stay at MSU as HC if he gets offered a DC job at Washington. But much more goes into it.

If he can build a FCS school to compete in the long-term (like Bohl/Klineman at NDSU), he will get to jump to HC offers at P-5 programs. I think the line of thinking with Jeff not wanting to go the coordinator route, even at a P-5 school, is because he can't control what happens if his HC gets fired or underperforms. I absolutely agree an OC/DC job at a P-5 program can catapult an assistant to P-5 head coaching positions. But it's not always that easy as success isn't automatic. Does Jeff give up control of the current FCS program he's building for a massive increase in salary in the short-term or does he stick around and continue to build with a long-term focus?
Pretty sure he's already a millionaire, but I see your point.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:17 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:11 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:

Pretty sure he's already a millionaire, but I see your point.
Good point. I meant annual salary.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:

He already took a huge pay cut to be our head couch and I think he likes being front man. Obviously financially he'd be crazy to turn down a coordinator position at a P5 program if he was offered.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:00 pm

seataccat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:

He already took a huge pay cut to be our head couch and I think he likes being front man. Obviously financially he'd be crazy to turn down a coordinator position at a P5 program if he was offered.
This echoes what I've heard on Choate from a good source.

Not interested in a coordinator job. Would take a mid high, mid major HC job. Would be very surprised if he left before Joey graduates.

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:

Paul Wulff went from EWU to WSU, as did Mike Price from Weber. Not terribly recent, but neither worked out well.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:44 pm

grizpack wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:33 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:

Paul Wulff went from EWU to WSU, as did Mike Price from Weber. Not terribly recent, but neither worked out well.
Great points. I had completely forgotten about Paul Wulff. I cringe thinking about it.

Hating the griz since 02.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:54 pm

grizpack wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:33 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:

Price led Wazzu to two Rose Bowls and then left for Bama after the second, where he never coached a game. I’d say he worked out very well for the Cougars. They haven’t gone to a Rose Bowl since.

What a ride

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:59 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:

Don't think Choate is going anywhere anytime soon. So not worried.

Yet Vim you're off base about accepting a prestigious coordinator's job. If offered he would accept that and rightfully so. That is the gateway to getting a triple in salary (in the short run) and with success a good head coaching offer (in the long run).

Even with continued success here, his career path at MSU is limited to eventually taking a coordinator's position (such as above) or a head coach offer at a struggling program (think UTEP, Texas State, etc...). Hell Bohl with multiple NDSU championships got Laramie, WY. Better to be a Pac 12 Defensive Coordinator than Head Coach with a crappy MAC team. Though as stated don't think he's going anywhere.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:06 pm

I think Cho4te will stay until he leaves.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:17 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:59 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:

Don't think Choate is going anywhere anytime soon. So not worried.

Yet Vim you're off base about accepting a prestigious coordinator's job. If offered he would accept that and rightfully so. That is the gateway to getting a triple in salary (in the short run) and with success a good head coaching offer (in the long run).

Even with continued success here, his career path at MSU is limited to eventually taking a coordinator's position (such as above) or a head coach offer at a struggling program (think UTEP, Texas State, etc...). Hell Bohl with multiple NDSU championships got Laramie, WY. Better to be a Pac 12 Defensive Coordinator than Head Coach with a crappy MAC team. Though as stated don't think he's going anywhere.
I guess my conversation point is what happens when success doesn't happen...which happens a lot at P-5 schools. Arkansas is a good recent example. What happens to all those coaches at Oregon State if Jonathon Smith doesn't get it going in a few years? Again, I completely understand how the ladder works (pay increase, higher level of coaching), especially when you're a P-5 coordinator. However, I don't think I'm off base by saying its as automatic as some have posted it is. The path isn't always clear to a HC gig in the P-5.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:21 pm

When Choate was hired, I remember him saying that he had no interest in coaching at the Power 5 level. He said his dream was to be a head coach at this level. Lets just hope he sticks to his word and stays here until we have won a NC and have a streak of 17 wins against UM.

Punters are people too!!