crowd noise

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: crowd noise

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:25 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:01 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:33 am

Just read your response. Always so interesting how people can have such different viewpoints. I just haven’t been impressed at all my two times there.

I’d take Missoula over fargodome 100 out of 100 times. And as a bobcat that’s really saying something! :lol:
I've never been to a game in the Fargo Dome so I can't comment on that. I was talking about Washy-griz, which I hate to admit-is a terrific venue.
#-o
My fault. Was reading that guys crazy opinion on the dome and read your response to fast.

I’ve never been to SDSU so can’t speak to that. But I’ve been to Missoula, Fargo and obviously Bozeman. I think griz still win in terms of atmosphere but truly believe we’re right there. If you listen to the griz guys podcast they seem to confirm this. They were very impressed with our atmosphere, as I always am going to Washington-Griz. It’s a great place for a game, and winning in there is second to none.

I’d imagine if anyone has been to a bunch of the venues around the country that aside from a really good team, Fargo probably wouldn’t even be in the top 5 in terms of atmosphere.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:45 pm

Nobody competes with the Rodeo Team leading the runout!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catbacker_1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:47 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:25 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Just read your response. Always so interesting how people can have such different viewpoints. I just haven’t been impressed at all my two times there.

I’d take Missoula over fargodome 100 out of 100 times. And as a bobcat that’s really saying something! :lol:
I've never been to a game in the Fargo Dome so I can't comment on that. I was talking about Washy-griz, which I hate to admit-is a terrific venue.
#-o
My fault. Was reading that guys crazy opinion on the dome and read your response to fast.

I’ve never been to SDSU so can’t speak to that. But I’ve been to Missoula, Fargo and obviously Bozeman. I think griz still win in terms of atmosphere but truly believe we’re right there. If you listen to the griz guys podcast they seem to confirm this. They were very impressed with our atmosphere, as I always am going to Washington-Griz. It’s a great place for a game, and winning in there is second to none.

I’d imagine if anyone has been to a bunch of the venues around the country that aside from a really good team, Fargo probably wouldn’t even be in the top 5 in terms of atmosphere.
I was at the game is Brookings last year and I can say without a doubt that MSU’s atmosphere is 1000% better then SDSU’s. They have a beautiful venue no doubt, but I would put last weekend up against most FCS games or experiences.

Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Catbacker_1 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:47 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

#-o

I was at the game is Brookings last year and I can say without a doubt that MSU’s atmosphere is 1000% better then SDSU’s. They have a beautiful venue no doubt, but I would put last weekend up against most FCS games or experiences.
My guess is that when North Dakota State had just started their dominance, the venue was pretty electric. Last year it was sort of NOT.

I too was at the South Dakota State game. It wasn't nearly as electric as even our gold rush game.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Comparing experiences in a dome to an outdoor venue is a fool's errand. I'd say that Washington Grizzly Stadium was a fantastic gameday experience in the 1990s and 2000s, but has waned a little bit since. Having seen a lot of games in both venues, I don't think I've been to a more electric game than this past Saturday, though an Idaho-Montana shootout back when John Friesz was the QB for Idaho might have been close. To be fair, last year's game against UIW was pretty good, considering we didn't have a student section. I expect our first playoff game this year to be similar to Cat-Griz.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:15 pm

I have to admit that one of the most electric games I have attended was the 2009 first round playoff game in Missoula against South Dakota State. Griz were down by 27 or so in the third quarter and lit it up to win going away. Griz had a big O line and a deep defense. Mariani was unstoppable in the second half.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Rich K wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:15 pm
I have to admit that one of the most electric games I have attended was the 2009 first round playoff game in Missoula against South Dakota State. Griz were down by 27 or so in the third quarter and lit it up to win going away. Griz had a big O line and a deep defense. Mariani was unstoppable in the second half.
I was there too. My top 3 electric atmosphere games was the 2009 um vs. SDSU and 2009 um vs Appalachian State, and 2019 Cat/Griz.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:01 pm

tdub wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:04 am
I seriously had NO idea their band was there until reading this.
I figured the GoFundMe to pay to get the band to the game must have fell through.... :lol:

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by clawman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:02 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

#-o

You're right the Fargo Dome is just OK and it is a dome, football is an outdoor sport! Their tailgating is the best I've seen @ the FCS level though.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:46 am

The fans were, well, fanatical, in the game, best atmosphere I've seen in Bozeman. I couldn't help but think how in the '90's and 2000's a Cat-Griz game in Bozeman was about 50-50 Cat fans and Griz fans. There was maroon EVERYWHERE. On Saturday the stadium was overwhelmingly Blue and Gold. There were zero concentrations of Griz fans except in their small little sections. It was beautiful to behold.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:55 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:46 am
The fans were, well, fanatical, in the game, best atmosphere I've seen in Bozeman. I couldn't help but think how in the '90's and 2000's a Cat-Griz game in Bozeman was about 50-50 Cat fans and Griz fans. There was maroon EVERYWHERE. On Saturday the stadium was overwhelmingly Blue and Gold. There were zero concentrations of Griz fans except in their small little sections. It was beautiful to behold.
I agree. Late 90’s/early 2000s Griz fans didn’t necessarily outnumber cat fans, but they were certainly louder than cat fans. Frankly it was embarrassing.

The only time I felt UM fan presence last weekend was when they were chanting for JLM to return a punt. This program/department/university has come a long way in the past 20 years. With the upward trajectory we’re riding, its exciting to think about what the future has in store for THE Montana State University.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:22 am

What are ticket sales looking like for Albany game? I believe we only had 10k for the Incarnate Word game last year so that worries me a bit. But there was some rough weather that weekend if I recall.

CPrice91

Post by CPrice91 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:34 am

^ And Thanksgiving weekend is always going to be empty

I don't know about current sales but non-season ticket holders can't even buy one till tomorrow :x !

Also student tickets are really cheap @ $7 each but still that price barrier will discourage kids from going. Hopefully someone buys them like apparently Pepsi did last year?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:42 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:55 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:46 am
I agree. Late 90’s/early 2000s Griz fans didn’t necessarily outnumber cat fans, but they were certainly louder than cat fans. Frankly it was embarrassing.

The only time I felt UM fan presence last weekend was when they were chanting for JLM to return a punt. This program/department/university has come a long way in the past 20 years. With the upward trajectory we’re riding, its exciting to think about what the future has in store for THE Montana State University.
I know a bunch of griz fans used to buy our season tickets as well because they were so cheap and guaranteed them a ticket for the brawl. I think those days are gone.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:42 am

vike_king wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:06 pm
Catbacker_1 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:47 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

#-o

My guess is that when North Dakota State had just started their dominance, the venue was pretty electric. Last year it was sort of NOT.

I too was at the South Dakota State game. It wasn't nearly as electric as even our gold rush game.
Echo the comments on South Dakota State last year.... the atmosphere was very... ehh "benign". Nothing like a Cat game. I wonder if a key rivalry game would have more fire (like when they play NDSU)... it was a nice venue.

I was at NDSU game last year also. The game got out of hand so quickly it was hard to really judge the crowd spirit at full throttle. But I really didn't enjoy the dome atmosphere....and the seating for visitors was the worst I have experienced. At least in Bobcat stadium the visitors are somewhere at the the goal line to 10 yard line... at NDSU I was about 20 yards behind the end zone... pitiful.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:26 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:45 pm
Can’t believe how broke those Horses are , to put up with the booms and flames , better than any of mine except
Maybe one , the rest would break in two and I’d fall off 😜

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:26 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Can’t believe how broke those Horses are , to put up with the booms and flames , better than any of mine except

I don't own horses or anything, but have always wondered that exact same thing. Between the crowd noise, flame bursts and explosions... its like those things are riding into Omaha beach, and they don't even flinch. ha. pretty crazy.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

kcatz

Post by kcatz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:45 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 pm
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

I don't own horses or anything, but have always wondered that exact same thing. Between the crowd noise, flame bursts and explosions... its like those things are riding into Omaha beach, and they don't even flinch. ha. pretty crazy.
The very first game we had the horses I just sat there waiting for the show to begin.....I wasn't expecting the horses to handle it so well

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:34 pm

kcatz wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:45 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

The very first game we had the horses I just sat there waiting for the show to begin.....I wasn't expecting the horses to handle it so well
Horses are just like athletes, good ones focus on what they are doing and can block out everything else.

I had a horse once that was darn near bullet proof, nothing scared him, he would take on a charging bull, and you could shoot off of him and he wouldn't flinch, but every time we crosses a small stream he jumped like he was crossing the Missouri. They all have their quirks.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:47 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

Ya the more they are exposed the better they get at it . Sometimes the short round at Ropings sounds like a Rock Concert
and they participate on the 4th of July . I know some guys put a kotex in the ears ,it's like ear plugs for us. Bob Cat Entry
with Equines is pretty special and the Horses the Rodeo team ride are pretty special athletes in their own right . I wish I
could figure out how to put that on FB it's pretty cool and unique .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play