Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:16 am

UAFAN thanks for your informative post.
I saw on national news this morning that people were abandoning their cars in the streets of Albany. Is that true? (Due to snow.)
If so and if you do not have an indoor practice facility. Might be a great day for film for your team.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:28 am

I will assure you that our coaching staff is not looking past the University of Albany. While they are not flashy in the one game that most of us watched they do a lot of things very well.
The best thing I noticed in the few games I watched over the weekend, the coaching staff does a good job of making adjustments that are effective .
With all of the snow that they are getting yesterday and today, that may be a benefit for an adjustment to their practices before traveling this way. Sometimes a little downtime physically helps everybody heal up and re-energize.
Could not get registered on their board over the weekend. Might try it again this week.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:28 am

UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 am
Thanks for the insight to your team. They sound like a formidable group. UA has exceeded expectations in many ways this year, breaking multiple offensive and defensive team records and proving lots of folks wrong. Although our QB is a redshirt freshman, he was able to start the last few games of last year under the new rules and really showed promise. In the last game of last year UA was at home, riding a 6 game losing streak and facing #10 Stony Brook (our football equivalent of your Griz). Some quick plays as time wound down got the Danes into position to try a 48 yard FG. Our kicker, in his last collegiate game, hit it true...it hit the cross bar and bounced over with 00:00 on the clock. So maybe that carried over to 2019.

My freshman year at UA was 1970....the year the football program started again after many decades of absence. So I’ve seen them go from club, to D3, D2, to D1 non scholarship, then D1 reduced # scholarships to the full scholarship CAA. So now that I’ve dated myself, let me say that it’s been quite the journey and our stadium field is named Bob Ford Field. Bob Ford was the coach from 1970 to 2013! He built an amazing program.

A few things more: Someone on your board said we only throw slants. Laughable if you’re a UA fan. Deep throws and quick outs abound. We screamed all the time to throw slants. They never listened to us, but apparently CCSU had no clue how to defend the slant so why not take it if given? Attendance....ahhh, we debate that all the time. UA is basically the same enrollment as MSU. We’ve only had a “real” stadium since 2013. Capacity is 8,500 and we only hit that once this year at homecoming. There’s roughly 850,000 population within an easy drive of the stadium. Albany can draw 10,000 + to an Arena Football game on a consistent basis. The racing meet at Saratoga draws 25,000+ on average. The best regularly attended team in the area is $iena men’s basketball. Depending on the team’s fortunes they can average 6,000+. Union and RPI hockey draw well, but venues are not big. Nothing increases interest like winning and tradition. So we are all hoping this year will spike some interest. Tailgating is definitely on the upswing and local media is doing their part. Football in the Northeast is really much different than the rest of the country...but that’s a whole different conversation.
MSU has a long history with lots of ups and downs, from National Championships to a 17 year losing streak to our hated rivals. While we have not "arrived" yet, we are currently on a positive trend back towards national prominence. One of the benefits we have is our location, that may sound contradictory, but in the State of Montana FCS football is the highest level of sports, any sports. We will have fans that travel on a weekly basis across the state to attend game, this is no small feat since we are geographically the 4th largest state. Support for our team is a statewide thing, not just from the Bozeman area. I will travel over 160 miles one way to attend the game.

As fans we only have the one game right now to evaluate your team, I am sure there is more than we see in that one snapshot. Is there any way to see more games of yours.

I felt that CCSU looked small and slow, what are your thoughts on comparing them to other teams you have played.

I see much discussion on SOS on both boards, on that subject I will say that we know we didn't have the toughest Big Sky schedule but feel that we have been pretty well tested. We played 4 current playoff teams and went 2-2, including 2 seeded teams(1-1) . We also played last years quarter-finalist who played a brutal schedule and did not make the playoffs this year.

The Big Sky is a 2 tiered leauge, with 6 teams in the top tier and the rest in the lower tier. Each tier is very competitive within itself. Many teams also played UND (former BSC team) as a league game even though they are independent now, (yeah, dont get me started, it weird). UND was a playoff team this year also.

What we see in your schedule is that you did not play either of the other CAA playoff teams and only played one playoff team which was a road loss in overtime. It is really hard for us to evaluate the rest of your schedule and Nova losing in the first round to the #3 Southland team doesn't help. I had picked nova in that game on the basis that the CAA was stronger conference this year, I have to question that now.

I spent a day or 2 in Albany back in the early 80's on a trip I made to a friends wedding back when I was just out of college. I still remember the trip fondly that included stays in Albany, Buffalo, Ithaca, and NYC. It was a much different culture than rural Montana, that is for sure.

If any of you travel to the game, folks on this board can guide you to the best eating and drinking spots, you will receive a warm Montana welcome by anyone, we enjoy guests, just don't move here :wink:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:38 am

one thing I will add for UA Fan:

Later this morning our coaches presser will come out, If your fans are feeling disrespected, our coach will make you guys sound like the greatest team to play the game and will be full of complements to your team and staff. I think you will enjoy his presser when it comes out.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 am

[[/media]

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:46 am

[[/media]

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:49 am

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:52 am

Coach Greg Gattuso last week.

[[/media]

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 am

[[/media]

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:02 am

[[/media]

The coaches should be identifying quite a few patterns for the University of Albany in film. They do a few things pretty well. Our secondary all have to be ready. And we need to get pressure on their quarterback.

Hope this is helpful for those of you that wanted highlights. I can post more if you want.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:32 am

The Bobcats passing defense has been red hot since the Sac State game. They've now gone five straight games without a passing touchdown allowed by their starters (both UNC and SUU had passing TD's late against backups, down ~40 points). Additionally, they've been holding every QB well below their typical output in terms of efficiency.

-Nate Ketteringham (UND): 6.1 yards per attempt MSU; 6.8 AVG
-Chris Helbig (SUU): 5.7 MSU; 7.0 AVG
-Jacob Knipp (UNC): 5.8 MSU; 7.2 AVG
-Jake Maier (UCD): 5.5 MSU; 7.3 AVG
-Dalton Sneed (UM): 5.7 MSU; 7.9 AVG

During their four game winning streak, the Bobcats run defense has been allowing 1.9 yards per carry (UM), 6.8 (UCD), 2.1 (UNC), and 1.3 (SUU). Davis obviously ran the ball well against us. Ulonzo Gilliam is a good player, but that was also a road game in which the Cats were selling out to stop Maier.

Also during that span, the Bobcat run game has put up 1,293 yards on 196 rushing attempts (6.6 YPC) and 16 touchdowns.

Given how the defense has been playing, and that the Danes have to travel all the way to Bozeman, I would imagine that Undercuffler has his worse game of the season. He also isn't very mobile, and tends to get sacked quite often (31 times on the season), so look for the DL to make life difficult on him. Additionally, Albany's run defense isn't very strong. I would not be surprised if the Cats ran for more yards than they did against the Grizzlies.

45-13 Bobcats.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:38 am

Looks to be a great day for football. Not too cold. Should be enjoyable for everyone!

I’d love for us to get 15+ for this one but we’ll see?!

The scariest thing about this game is the nothing to lose factor for Albany. They’re playing with house money. Need to bring our best if we try to make some noise in this thing!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:57 am

Those highlights show some old familiar foes. The Bobcats have played Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Stony Brook in Bozeman in the playoffs. All three games were super close, and all three games were Bobcat wins. Now that's some hard-hitting relevant analysis right there!!!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:38 am

[[/media]

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:56 pm

Wow, lot to read! First things first...we are getting blasted with snow. Up to 2’ in the hilltowns and the main city areas are getting 12-18”. I’ve lived in this area a long time and worked in Albany many years. Let’s just say the snow removal in the city of Albany leaves something to be desired. Spring is their backup plan. So if you saw people abandoning cars in Albany...sounds like par for the course. The main campus and athletic facilities for UA are on the edge of the city and partially in a suburban town. The only indoor facility they have is a bubble...not sure how much the FB team uses it. It’s not too cold, and supposed to be mid 30s most of the week, so as soon as the field is cleared they’ll be fine for practice. There are mega loud speakers on the video scoreboard so maybe they can simulate crowd noise.

CCSU is from the Northeast Conference, which I believe still has a 40 scholly limit. The best NEC teams can compete with many CAA or Patriot League teams on a one game basis. I do think they are at a disadvantage in terms of depth and speed. Back in 2007 or so, Albany went down to Delaware and beat them....Joe Flacco was QB...UD was ranked about #11 at the time and UA didn’t give scholarships then. Sometimes these one game matchups come down to who wants it more, gets more breaks and avoids mistakes.

I see you’ve found some film...at least of the good stuff. I can’t think of anywhere else other than what’s already above.

The CAA scheduling has been in our favor this year...no doubt. True, we didn’t play ‘nova or JMU, but ‘nova lost to New Hampshire and Stony Brook and UA beat them both... so like I said, lots of parity among the non JMU crowd. We do get the Dukes at home next year.

I never make predictions. Is MSU a stronger choice than UA? Probably, I’m a realist. But one game to play more or go home where all the pressure is on the favorite? I’m a lifelong Giants fan and those two Super Bowl wins over the Pats taught me that anything is possible in sports and the best team doesn’t always win. We can compare schedules, rosters, stats till the cows come home (NOT MEANT TO BE A COW TOWN REFERENCE), but Saturday the teams will settle it. And that’s sports.

Oh, speaking of cow town.....I couldn’t help but chuckle as I registered and had to prove I wasn’t a bot...and discovered MSU has a bunch of rodeo national championships. Man, you gotta own that! Be proud.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm

UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:56 pm
Oh, speaking of cow town.....I couldn’t help but chuckle as I registered and had to prove I wasn’t a bot...and discovered MSU has a bunch of rodeo national championships. Man, you gotta own that! Be proud.
We are definitely proud of the Rodeo Team and the legacy of this being a traditional Ag school, no doubt. In case you hadn't seen the videos our Rodeo team regularly leads the football team onto the field before games.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:06 pm

Highlights from our last game against an SUNY opponent. The game was close-partially thanks to MSU turnovers and missed opportunities. Stony Brook had some dudes too. MSU won 16-10 and got blasted by Sam Houston a week later. What does this have to do with our game with UAlbany? Probably absolutely nothing, but it's a long week so...

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:15 pm

UA Fan wrote:

I’m a lifelong Giants fan and those two Super Bowl wins over the Pats taught me that anything is possible in sports and the best team doesn’t always win.
Tom Brady does have a home about 40 miles south of Bozeman, at Big Sky ski resort, so you may have some karma working in your favor.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:17 pm

kmax wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm
UA Fan wrote:
We are definitely proud of the Rodeo Team and the legacy of this being a traditional Ag school, no doubt. In case you hadn't seen the videos our Rodeo team regularly leads the football team onto the field before games.
That is definitely cool! I like it a lot. For one season we had the coach’s 150 lb Great Dane pup lead the team onto the field. No horses though. We actually have no shortage of horses or dairy cows around here. The Saratoga racetrack is about a 20 min drive from where I’m sitting.

One thing I didn’t get into before was Northeast football culture. I imagine in Montana you basically have to declare on a birth certificate if the baby is a Bobcat or Grizzly fan. Sort of like Alabama and Auburn. When I grew up there were 2 local college division FB teams...basically D3. The only “big time” programs in NY were Syracuse and Army. The rest were the 1AA variety like Colgate, Cornell, Hofstra and the like. SUNY schools were slow to get on board until they got a little more autonomy. Buffalo was the first to break into FBS and still the only state school at that level. Then there’s UA and Stony Brook in FCS. The rest are D3. At the same time, the only “big time” program in New England was Boston College. Plus the Ivies down a peg. So it was slim pickings. I think that’s one reason we struggle with attendance is that so few people in the area had experienced college game days. The closest legit power when I was a kid was Penn State...so I used to root for Penn State. Albany is 2 1/2 hours from NYC by train and about 3 hours to Boston. People will travel to see the Yanks or the Sox, but probably wouldn’t cross the street for a college football game. I do envy the fan passion of these long existing program fans.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm

UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:17 pm
kmax wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm
UA Fan wrote:
That is definitely cool! I like it a lot. For one season we had the coach’s 150 lb Great Dane pup lead the team onto the field. No horses though. We actually have no shortage of horses or dairy cows around here. The Saratoga racetrack is about a 20 min drive from where I’m sitting.

One thing I didn’t get into before was Northeast football culture. I imagine in Montana you basically have to declare on a birth certificate if the baby is a Bobcat or Grizzly fan. Sort of like Alabama and Auburn. When I grew up there were 2 local college division FB teams...basically D3. The only “big time” programs in NY were Syracuse and Army. The rest were the 1AA variety like Colgate, Cornell, Hofstra and the like. SUNY schools were slow to get on board until they got a little more autonomy. Buffalo was the first to break into FBS and still the only state school at that level. Then there’s UA and Stony Brook in FCS. The rest are D3. At the same time, the only “big time” program in New England was Boston College. Plus the Ivies down a peg. So it was slim pickings. I think that’s one reason we struggle with attendance is that so few people in the area had experienced college game days. The closest legit power when I was a kid was Penn State...so I used to root for Penn State. Albany is 2 1/2 hours from NYC by train and about 3 hours to Boston. People will travel to see the Yanks or the Sox, but probably wouldn’t cross the street for a college football game. I do envy the fan passion of these long existing program fans.
Yeah, I remember listening to one of the on air ESPN personalities from the Northeast saying how hard it was to get anyone interested in talking college football back when he was a local sports radio guy. They'll talk all day long about baseball, but not college football.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: