Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by kcatz » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:11 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:56 pm
All I know is this is going to be longest week ever!
Including last week too

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Sac_hornets wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:05 pm
msuhunter wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 am
We are the much better team. We should win going away. Here’s to hoping Sac lays an egg in their game and we host 2 games. Game should be fun but the real playoffs start in the quarterfinals.
Lol, let’s hope MSU lays an egg. Your way to over confident
“Your way to?” Are you sure you didn’t go to um?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:03 pm

UA Fan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:40 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:25 pm
UA Fan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:03 pm
nevadacat wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:58 pm
UA Fan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 am
Hi Bobcat fans! I took the plunge and registered ... happy to be representing in some small way Great Danes football fans. Glad to try and answer questions. I couldn’t help but poke some fun your way. Truly,I’d rather be in the mountains than the city so I envy your location. Our little corner of upstate has roughly the population of Montana. So while we’re not the Big Apple, we aren’t the wilderness either.

A little context on our season: in the woulda, shoulda, coulda category was Monmouth, where we lost by 3 in OT and Richmond, where a missed extra point and field goal were the difference. The team made a very respectable showing against Central Michigan, currently leading their MAC division. Against Maine we came out flat and stayed flat.

I watched some highlights from your beatdown of the Griz. Impressive running game. So what do you wonder about?
Welcome, UA Fan, to our board! Always happy to have our friendly rivals join in our discussion and we don't mind a little poking fun. (We save our real smack for those ... ahem ... people to our west.)

I was impressed by the turnaround in yesterday's game. Your defense rallied well after the first few CC drives, but your offense seemed to stay in the locker room for the first 25 minutes of the game. Was this a case of coming out "flat," or do you have a tendency to start slowly and roll after making some key adjustments at half?
Thanks. Sometimes we can’t figure out our own offense. This QB is still a little green so maybe he’s a bit inconsistent early. We came out flat against Rhode Island, then they melted down in the third quarter and we smoked them. Against Maine it was our guys with the better start and then the wheels came off in the third. Against Stony Brook our O came out firing on all cylinders and then slowed up. So a very mixed bag. CCSU is a rival from our prior league and their head coach was on the UA staff for 13 years....so maybe some extra motivation. Our QB has like 39 tds and only about 9 picks...he really has a cannon, but can make the touch throws too. I’m certain that MSU will be the best team UA has faced since Central Michigan. Should be an interesting test.
:lol: :lol: Yeah, we have no idea what our offense is either, I don't know how to describe it other than defenses have to be ready for anything.

We have a RS SO starting at QB but will snap the ball to 3 or more other players including our starting linebacker (who was our QB last year and may or may not play this week) We will run 4-5 players at RB, whoever is healthy enough to play. We will use a lot of formations and lot of motion and counters to make it a shell game so nobody know where the ball is going or who has it. Once the defense has about everybody in the box and we have man on the outside we will go deep, still we occasionally run standard inside zone, power, bubble screens and slants. Each game seems to use different parts of the playbook, and a few use a lot of it.
I noticed that in the highlights. The D coaches will be putting in some late nights I’m sure. Our D line is veteran and the LBs are good. The secondary has a lot of experience too. Our best pass rusher was recruited as a RB, then the coach told him he could be an all conference LB, he switched and now is a hybrid DE/OLB. Has the school sack record now.
UA seldom runs a wildcat formation anymore, but has occasional trickeration. There’s three very good receivers and a couple of good TEs. RB is primarily Mofor, 5-8 and about 230. Powerful runner with good, but not blazing speed. James is an FBS transfer with good moves and speed, a nice change of pace. The QB runs sparingly. Our special teams are OK. The PK had some rough patches , but is getting better....punter is fine. Our best return man has been out with an injury....not sure what his status is.
Everything in our offense goes through the OL, we will use either a couple of TE, or an H back and a TE quite a bit. We have a lot of playmakers at skill positions but IMO the stars of our offense is the OL, Our WR are good at downfield blocking too. Our scheme in some games has been to keep pounding the run until the other side just wears out, then take over the game in the second half with physical play.

Defense Is our best side IMO. We have a solid DL and will rotate quite a bit to keep them fresh throughout the game. Our Buck (OLB/DE hybrid) is a Washington transfer as are a NT and the other DE. At LB we are solid and deep, we use different players depending on the situation and who we are playing. If our SAM plays he can play in coverage with a fast WR, still stop the run, and is a good blitzer, if he doesn't play we will likley play more nickle against a pass first team. We have good corners and will rotate, our safetys are strong and deep, we occasionally play 3, moving one up into the box as a blitzer or run stopper. We will primarily be in a 3 man front with a buck end. We wont blitz a lot early, but will try to apply presser and squeeze the pocket with 4, our DE requires a double team. When you are in passing situations later in the game we will blitz more. Overall we are sound tacklers and very physical.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:47 pm

To follow up on a few posts describing our offense, our best back (Ifanse) missed most of the year with an injury. When he is healthy (as he is now), he has the potential to take over the football game on his own. That being said, other backs rotate through and provide different skill sets. Productivity does not decline sharply when other backs are in due to the aforementioned quality O-Line. Also, there is a reason for every play when MSU is on offense. Often the team will run plays early that do little else but open up more later. I look at it as a "lose the battle to win the war" type offense. There is a actually a 2 play sequence used over the last 2-3 years that relies on an incomplete pass on the first play to set up the second. The coaching staff attempted to run it in this past Cat-Grizzly game but the opposing coach recognized it and (wisely) called a timeout to prevent it from happening.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks for joining us UA FAN - I liked how your team played last week, being mostly impressed with the adjustments that were made on both sides of the ball. You have genuine QB, and that always scares me a bit, even if he is young. Congratulations on your team's success so far.

On Defense we have do have a group that has been pretty solid all year, but has some on very strong in November, being solid against the run and have fared well against a couple of the top 10 passing QB's in the country. On offense, there are a lot of weapons but the OL has been the real key - in addition, the staff has started using the entire field better the last 4 games so you really can't count on where its coming from going to. I look for a good game, where if we play well, it might be tight the first half, but we pull ahead in the third quarter (that's what this team is designed to do).

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:42 pm

kwcat wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37 pm

You can get a sense of what we do from this video off of YouTube
Oh crap, I've got to watch that before someone takes it down :lol:

Sac_hornets
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sac_hornets » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:20 pm
Sac_hornets wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
We are the much better team. We should win going away. Here’s to hoping Sac lays an egg in their game and we host 2 games. Game should be fun but the real playoffs start in the quarterfinals.
Actually I hope you don’t lay an egg, so we can kick your ass all over again!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Sac_hornets wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sac_hornets wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Definitely a griz troll

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Sac_hornets wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Sac_hornets wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
:coffee:

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Sac_hornets wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Sac_hornets wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Thanks for bringing the message board back to reality! First the Cats must play and beat Albany. At this point it’s the only game that matters. Having you show up tells me how you think this game will go so thanks for vote of confidence! Should the Cats win I look forward to chatting with you next week!

Sac_hornets
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sac_hornets » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 pm
Sac_hornets wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Sac_hornets wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Thanks for bringing the message board back to reality! First the Cats must play and beat Albany. At this point it’s the only game that matters. Having you show up tells me how you think this game will go so thanks for vote of confidence! Should the Cats win I look forward to chatting with you next week!
Thank you for having a voice of reason. We also have to take care of business. Really it is useless talking about future games, fans start dreaming of Frisco already which is so hilarious. Should the Hornets win, I also look forward to chatting with you as well! Good luck this coming weekend and go all Big Sky teams!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:53 pm

CPrice91 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:42 pm
kwcat wrote:

Oh crap, I've got to watch that before someone takes it down :lol:
Forget watch...downloaded to watch over and over again!!! Thanks to whoever put that up.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:15 am

onceacat wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:17 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:36 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:20 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 pm
btribby wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:52 pm
I think that Albany is a really quality opponent. We will have to play a great game to win. All opponents from here on out are great football teams.
Without sounding like an arrogant ass, what did you see to make you think they’re so good? I honestly didn’t see it.
You weren't impressed at all by their QB or the WR hauling in those great TD catches? Sure, the QB looked bad in the first quarter but once the settled down, he looked great I thought.
I mean, I guess I wasn’t UNimpressed. But that CC defense looked terrible to me. QB had a minute to throw the ball, slants were open all day long, and were going against a small secondary.

Again, I’m not trying to sound like an ass here. But from the looks of it, this is a team the Cats should crush in my opinion. It’s like I said before the UNC game. If ww’re As good as I think we are, this is a team we should handle with ease. I’m just not sure I saw one unit I would expect to have an advantage over us. Did you?

This isn’t to take away from their win. But we’re not CCSU. The things they were able to do ok today I just don’t see them getting away with on Saturday.
I'd be worried about their passing game. The QB is legit IMO and two WRs were making nice catches.

That's not to say I think we're an underdogby any means. I'm just a bit more cautious I guess, than most here.
There’s no excuse for a top 8 seed to EVER lose a game. Happens about every other year, mostly to other power 3 schools. But a home game is a huge advantage here...especially against teams that need to play in to the “real” playoffs.
Actually, A top 8 seed losing a game is very common. 2018 was an anomaly when all 8 seeds won. In 4 of the 5 previous seasons since the 8 seeded team format was introduced, 3 of the 8 seeds have lost. On average over 6 seasons, nearly 30% of Top 8 seeds lose every year. A top 8 seed while desired, is a long ways from being an automatic win.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 am

kwcat wrote:

Whoo hoo! Huge thanks kwcat for posting this replay!!! =D^ =D^ =D^ I'd not seen the game until this post.

Thrilling to watch even after knowing how much we'd beat them down.
Last edited by catsrback76 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:25 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 am
kwcat wrote:

Whoo hoo! Huge thanks kwat for posting this replay!!! =D^ =D^ =D^ I'd not seen the game until this post.

Thrilling to watch even after knowing how much we'd beat them down.
You are welcome! Not a boring spot in the game!
Definitely not as close as the score

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 am

Thanks for the insight to your team. They sound like a formidable group. UA has exceeded expectations in many ways this year, breaking multiple offensive and defensive team records and proving lots of folks wrong. Although our QB is a redshirt freshman, he was able to start the last few games of last year under the new rules and really showed promise. In the last game of last year UA was at home, riding a 6 game losing streak and facing #10 Stony Brook (our football equivalent of your Griz). Some quick plays as time wound down got the Danes into position to try a 48 yard FG. Our kicker, in his last collegiate game, hit it true...it hit the cross bar and bounced over with 00:00 on the clock. So maybe that carried over to 2019.

My freshman year at UA was 1970....the year the football program started again after many decades of absence. So I’ve seen them go from club, to D3, D2, to D1 non scholarship, then D1 reduced # scholarships to the full scholarship CAA. So now that I’ve dated myself, let me say that it’s been quite the journey and our stadium field is named Bob Ford Field. Bob Ford was the coach from 1970 to 2013! He built an amazing program.

A few things more: Someone on your board said we only throw slants. Laughable if you’re a UA fan. Deep throws and quick outs abound. We screamed all the time to throw slants. They never listened to us, but apparently CCSU had no clue how to defend the slant so why not take it if given? Attendance....ahhh, we debate that all the time. UA is basically the same enrollment as MSU. We’ve only had a “real” stadium since 2013. Capacity is 8,500 and we only hit that once this year at homecoming. There’s roughly 850,000 population within an easy drive of the stadium. Albany can draw 10,000 + to an Arena Football game on a consistent basis. The racing meet at Saratoga draws 25,000+ on average. The best regularly attended team in the area is $iena men’s basketball. Depending on the team’s fortunes they can average 6,000+. Union and RPI hockey draw well, but venues are not big. Nothing increases interest like winning and tradition. So we are all hoping this year will spike some interest. Tailgating is definitely on the upswing and local media is doing their part. Football in the Northeast is really much different than the rest of the country...but that’s a whole different conversation.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:14 am

UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 am
Thanks for the insight to your team. They sound like a formidable group. UA has exceeded expectations in many ways this year, breaking multiple offensive and defensive team records and proving lots of folks wrong. Although our QB is a redshirt freshman, he was able to start the last few games of last year under the new rules and really showed promise. In the last game of last year UA was at home, riding a 6 game losing streak and facing #10 Stony Brook (our football equivalent of your Griz). Some quick plays as time wound down got the Danes into position to try a 48 yard FG. Our kicker, in his last collegiate game, hit it true...it hit the cross bar and bounced over with 00:00 on the clock. So maybe that carried over to 2019.

My freshman year at UA was 1970....the year the football program started again after many decades of absence. So I’ve seen them go from club, to D3, D2, to D1 non scholarship, then D1 reduced # scholarships to the full scholarship CAA. So now that I’ve dated myself, let me say that it’s been quite the journey and our stadium field is named Bob Ford Field. Bob Ford was the coach from 1970 to 2013! He built an amazing program.

A few things more: Someone on your board said we only throw slants. Laughable if you’re a UA fan. Deep throws and quick outs abound. We screamed all the time to throw slants. They never listened to us, but apparently CCSU had no clue how to defend the slant so why not take it if given? Attendance....ahhh, we debate that all the time. UA is basically the same enrollment as MSU. We’ve only had a “real” stadium since 2013. Capacity is 8,500 and we only hit that once this year at homecoming. There’s roughly 850,000 population within an easy drive of the stadium. Albany can draw 10,000 + to an Arena Football game on a consistent basis. The racing meet at Saratoga draws 25,000+ on average. The best regularly attended team in the area is $iena men’s basketball. Depending on the team’s fortunes they can average 6,000+. Union and RPI hockey draw well, but venues are not big. Nothing increases interest like winning and tradition. So we are all hoping this year will spike some interest. Tailgating is definitely on the upswing and local media is doing their part. Football in the Northeast is really much different than the rest of the country...but that’s a whole different conversation.
The guys talking about the slants only watched the one game. The coaches obviously will have all the games. We actually know that the CAA plays good tough ball. Our 2 advantaged will be noise and altitude, you can't count on either. It's up to the coaches and mostly the players. It's a long trip, I hope some of you can make it. Any tailgate would welcome you.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:40 am

allcat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:14 am
UA Fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 am

The guys talking about the slants only watched the one game. The coaches obviously will have all the games. We actually know that the CAA plays good tough ball. Our 2 advantaged will be noise and altitude, you can't count on either. It's up to the coaches and mostly the players. It's a long trip, I hope some of you can make it. Any tailgate would welcome you.
The altitude does concern me. Your altitude is about where the top of Whiteface Mt is in the Adirondacks...where the Olympic ski races were held in 1980. The UA campus is about 320’ above sea level. So I’m sure there is going to have to be a lot of rotations in and out. Does the NCAA allow O2 on the sidelines? Lol. They’ll probably do ok with the noise. I’ll be watching from here, but I hope some folks can be there in person. Thanks for the tailgate invite. I’ve read that the NDSU tailgates in Fargo are super friendly for visitors. The CAA is in a spot like the MVC. It’s James Madison and everyone else. Lots of parity in the everyone else. There’s seldom an “easy” game and no results are particularly surprising. So it’s a rough conference schedule. Even last year....with our lousy 1-7 league record, we lost three games in the last minute. So competitive.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:15 am

Sac_hornets wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Sac_hornets wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
I’m sure you will be a formidable opponent from your seat in the stands.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 am

Rich K wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:55 pm
Here's the link to the Albany forum.
http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/forum/ ... ld-hockey/
Could somebody over at that forum call up the guy that's hosting your website in his basement and ask him to restart the server and make sure the clock is synced?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act