Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 am

Watched the first quarter and it looked like CcSU was going to roll. Albany made good defensive changes and took to the air to win. Picked them apart. No real push from either teams o or d lines. Run down hill early and often to wear out their dline and we should do good. Low scoring game. MSU 35-10.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:58 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:56 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:40 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 pm
Wow, this board spent the past week poking fun at the overconfidence displayed by Griz fans during Cat/Griz week following up their big win over Weber...and now this thread appears to be rapidly veering in that exact same direction.

Sports are so great because they're so unpredictable.

Does MSU have more talent across the board than Albany? Yes.
Will MSU be favored to win next week? Yes
Will pretty much everything go right for MSU like it did against UM? Almost certainly not.

Make no mistake, Albany is a legit team and can beat MSU next week, just like any of the four Big Sky seeds could lose if they come out flat after the bye week or make one too many key mistakes at the wrong time.
Ugh... do we really need lectures about "being overconfident?"

What does it matter? And what if it's an honest opinion?
I agree. It’s just an opinion. I watched one game. Maybe this team is WAY better than they looked. Maybe they are really really good and I’m just being disrespectful. So I won’t say anything about them. I’ll just predict the Cats win by about 17-20.

Honestly I feel like so many cat fans are scared of actually being good! I’m not saying you have to get all griz and assume you’re going to blow out every team no matter what the situation is.....but there is no shame thinking your #5 seeded cats can roll a team at home. :-k
I'd also pick MSU to win by 2-3 scores if I were making a prediction. But when I see comments like saying that Albany is at the same level as SUU and UNC in the Big Sky, that's just plain wrong. They're a playoff team and therefore shouldn't be dismissed like that even if MSU will be heavily favored to win.
I’m not dismissing them. Like you, I think we’ll win by a few scores. Know who else we beat by a few scores? SUU and UNC. I’m not saying that to talk trash. I just feel like the score may be similar?
I don't think you are dismissing them. I do think a few others did over on the Albany/CCSU game thread from yesterday. The main thing that irks me about stuff like that is that when MSU doesn't get the dominant blowout wins people are expecting, or (god forbid) lose a game or two, some of the same folks who pumped up the expectations to unreasonable levels then come back with hysterical overreactions like the 400+ post "Not Sold on Choate" thread that exploded after the back-to-back losses to Sac and UND.

We'll see what happens - the most important thing of course is that Choate and staff will have MSU ready to play and won't overlook their opponent on Saturday regardless of what we say here!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:14 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:58 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:56 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:40 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 pm
Wow, this board spent the past week poking fun at the overconfidence displayed by Griz fans during Cat/Griz week following up their big win over Weber...and now this thread appears to be rapidly veering in that exact same direction.

Sports are so great because they're so unpredictable.

Does MSU have more talent across the board than Albany? Yes.
Will MSU be favored to win next week? Yes
Will pretty much everything go right for MSU like it did against UM? Almost certainly not.

Make no mistake, Albany is a legit team and can beat MSU next week, just like any of the four Big Sky seeds could lose if they come out flat after the bye week or make one too many key mistakes at the wrong time.
Ugh... do we really need lectures about "being overconfident?"

What does it matter? And what if it's an honest opinion?
I agree. It’s just an opinion. I watched one game. Maybe this team is WAY better than they looked. Maybe they are really really good and I’m just being disrespectful. So I won’t say anything about them. I’ll just predict the Cats win by about 17-20.

Honestly I feel like so many cat fans are scared of actually being good! I’m not saying you have to get all griz and assume you’re going to blow out every team no matter what the situation is.....but there is no shame thinking your #5 seeded cats can roll a team at home. :-k
I'd also pick MSU to win by 2-3 scores if I were making a prediction. But when I see comments like saying that Albany is at the same level as SUU and UNC in the Big Sky, that's just plain wrong. They're a playoff team and therefore shouldn't be dismissed like that even if MSU will be heavily favored to win.
I’m not dismissing them. Like you, I think we’ll win by a few scores. Know who else we beat by a few scores? SUU and UNC. I’m not saying that to talk trash. I just feel like the score may be similar?
I don't think you are dismissing them. I do think a few others did over on the Albany/CCSU game thread from yesterday. The main thing that irks me about stuff like that is that when MSU doesn't get the dominant blowout wins people are expecting, or (god forbid) lose a game or two, some of the same folks who pumped up the expectations to unreasonable levels then come back with hysterical overreactions like the 400+ post "Not Sold on Choate" thread that exploded after the back-to-back losses to Sac and UND.

We'll see what happens - the most important thing of course is that Choate and staff will have MSU ready to play and won't overlook their opponent on Saturday regardless of what we say here!
Without a doubt. Albany will have this staff and these players undivided attention without a question. I have no doubt whatsoever about that.

And I agree with you on the overreactions as well. I’m sure they’ll probably be some out there that expect a huge win and if we win close will complain. That’s par for the course. That’s the life of a message board I suppose.

I’ve been wrong plenty of times with my predictions on sports. If I wasn’t I’d be a lot richer. I thought we would beat the griz in a close one, we ran them off the field. I thought we’d beat UND, we lost. I’ve been wrong and will be wrong in the future. Especially with games like these where I watched them exactly once!

Montana State isn’t Central Connecticut. We’re better than they are in every way and I’m confident in that. And even they managed to keep Albany from even getting a first down for a quarter and a half!

I will say that if we allow Albany to sit in the pocket untouched for 5-8 seconds every dropback, don’t rush the passer at all, don’t contest the slant route over and over and over....we could be in trouble like CCSU was.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:19 am

I feel like @ilovethecats and I are living in an alternative universe. I'm just going to stick to simple points.

1. The CAA is way down this year. Despite claims to the contrary, they are a 1 team conference. Moreover, we don't know how good that team (JMU) is because they only have had two competitive FCS games this year (@Stony Brook - a team that started strong and faded quickly, and vs. Villanova).
2. The best FCS teams Albany faced this year were fellow playoff team from the Big South - 10-2 Monmouth (loss), plus 7-5 Towson (win), 6-6 Maine (loss), and 6-5 New Hamphire (win). Their other loss was against 5-7 Richmond. The rest of their wins were against sub-.500 squads in the CAA, Patriot, and NEC.
3. The Big Sky was strong at the top this year. Five teams playing a Big Sky schedule made the playoffs. Four were seeded 3-6. Another Big Sky team (Davis) played 7 playoff teams (NDSU, UND, San Diego, and the Big Sky 4) and an FCS team this year. Not surprisingly, they finished 5-7. EWU started slow, but finished 7-5 as well. The rest of the Big Sky was their own form of mediocre, winning games against each other they shouldn't win and losing games against each other they shouldn't lose. They were the CAA, only they faced 7 teams they really couldn't beat unless they pulled an upset (Weber, Sac State, MSU, UM, North Dakota, EWU, and Cal Davis).

This season was a perfect storm for Albany. They had to have faced the easiest schedule possible in the CAA, their non-conference opponents were from much less powerful conferences and they won 2 of 3, and they beat enough mediocre teams to get to 8-3 in the FCS. Winning 8 games in the FCS isn't easy, so I'm not diminishing that, but I do believe that had Cal Davis played their FCS schedule, Davis might have been 10-1 or 11-0 in the FCS. Anyhow, Albany looked overmatched in the first half against a CCSU team that was way undersized. I mean, on a field goal attempt, an Albany D-Lineman was able to push a guard straight back so far that the kicker kicked the ball into the middle of his back. At half, the adjustment to be made was informing the team that the CBs on CCSU had neither the size nor the speed to cover the Albany WR at all.

So, when I say Albany is lucky to be in the playoffs, I point to their schedule and remind you the toughest team they faced this year was either Monmouth or 6-6 Maine. They got to their 8 wins, but it seems like the path there was pretty easy. When I compare them to the lower half of the Big Sky, it is because I feel that the Big Sky is much, much better than the CAA this year. Go take a look at all of Albany's games and results and look at the same for UC Davis. Luck plays a huge role here.

I'm not generally optimistic. I was really nervous for a few games this year: SEMO, Cal Poly (bad matchup), Sac State (I knew they were good), Davis (good team, bad schedule), and UM. I wasn't worried enough at UND. I am confident for next Saturday. I feel like this Albany team would have settled in below EWU, Davis, and UND of the teams playing a Big Sky schedule this year. Can they beat MSU? Of course! Will they? No. 38-17 Bobcats.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:32 am

I met a group of Siena fans/graduates from All-bany years ago in Spokane at the NCAA tournament. Good people, good times. As for the Albany team, from the little I watched yesterday they have an accurate QB and some very good receivers. The key, as always, will be getting pressure so the QB doesn’t have time to do what he did to CCS, who had zero semblance of a pass rush. I look for Sterk/Benson/Marks/Williams to be able to generate pressure, but Albany is a good team and I don’t really understand the overconfidence of some of us here. Although what fans say doesn’t at all impact the game, it does make an impression on opposing fanbases and cockiness isn’t a good look.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:15 pm

I heard from a guy at church that we'll win by 4. He hasn't been right about anything this year though. :shrug:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Let's hope Choate and Miller aren't watching the Dolphins game today. This might motivate them to try that terrible 2pt conversion play again.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:58 pm

UA Fan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 am
Hi Bobcat fans! I took the plunge and registered ... happy to be representing in some small way Great Danes football fans. Glad to try and answer questions. I couldn’t help but poke some fun your way. Truly,I’d rather be in the mountains than the city so I envy your location. Our little corner of upstate has roughly the population of Montana. So while we’re not the Big Apple, we aren’t the wilderness either.

A little context on our season: in the woulda, shoulda, coulda category was Monmouth, where we lost by 3 in OT and Richmond, where a missed extra point and field goal were the difference. The team made a very respectable showing against Central Michigan, currently leading their MAC division. Against Maine we came out flat and stayed flat.

I watched some highlights from your beatdown of the Griz. Impressive running game. So what do you wonder about?
Welcome, UA Fan, to our board! Always happy to have our friendly rivals join in our discussion and we don't mind a little poking fun. (We save our real smack for those ... ahem ... people to our west.)

I was impressed by the turnaround in yesterday's game. Your defense rallied well after the first few CC drives, but your offense seemed to stay in the locker room for the first 25 minutes of the game. Was this a case of coming out "flat," or do you have a tendency to start slowly and roll after making some key adjustments at half?

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:32 am
I met a group of Siena fans/graduates from All-bany years ago in Spokane at the NCAA tournament. Good people, good times. As for the Albany team, from the little I watched yesterday they have an accurate QB and some very good receivers. The key, as always, will be getting pressure so the QB doesn’t have time to do what he did to CCS, who had zero semblance of a pass rush. I look for Sterk/Benson/Marks/Williams to be able to generate pressure, but Albany is a good team and I don’t really understand the overconfidence of some of us here. Although what fans say doesn’t at all impact the game, it does make an impression on opposing fanbases and cockiness isn’t a good look.
I think what we say on this message board is different from what we say and do publicly. I'm confident here, but I'm not running to Twitter with any of this nor am I posting on Albany's message board.

Eight teams advanced yesterday. I happen to believe we (arguably) ended up with the best possible matchup. Let's briefly look at all eight teams.

Nicholls State won the Southland. Like MSU, they had a bad two game stretch, but beat both Cental Arkansas and SELA in the regular season and shut down North Dakota in the 1st round.

SELA just went toe-to-toe with Villanova. They lost a close one to Nicholls the week prior. Their showcase win was a 34-0 shutout on the road at #8 Central Arkansas.

Monmouth beat Albany and fellow playoff team Kennesaw State. UM beat them pretty handily, but that's their only FCS loss.

Kennesaw State runs the triple option. No thanks.

Austin Peay split their games against playoff teams, beating SEMO but losing to Central Arkansas. This might be the worst remaining team in the playoffs.

Illinois State lost a chance to be seeded when they lost a bad game to Youngstown State. They did beat SDSU this year after SDSU lost their starting QB, but lost their own QB toward the end of the season. They made it out of the MVFC though and have a RB that can take over games. I'm not overly impressed, but don't like the idea of a run-first ground and pound team from the MVFC coming into Bozeman.

Northern Iowa is overrated IMHO, but they did beat Illinois State and has a very good defense. They try to keep the games low scoring and beat you at the end. Again, no thanks.

Albany had the easiest schedule in the CAA and only faced one playoff team, Monmouth, to whom they lost.

Who would you choose to come to Bozeman?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:37 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm
PapaG wrote:
I think what we say on this message board is different from what we say and do publicly. I'm confident here, but I'm not running to Twitter with any of this nor am I posting on Albany's message board.

Eight teams advanced yesterday. I happen to believe we (arguably) ended up with the best possible matchup. Let's briefly look at all eight teams.

Nicholls State won the Southland. Like MSU, they had a bad two game stretch, but beat both Cental Arkansas and SELA in the regular season and shut down North Dakota in the 1st round.

SELA just went toe-to-toe with Villanova. They lost a close one to Nicholls the week prior. Their showcase win was a 34-0 shutout on the road at #8 Central Arkansas.

Monmouth beat Albany and fellow playoff team Kennesaw State. UM beat them pretty handily, but that's their only FCS loss.

Austin Peay split their games against playoff teams, beating SEMO but losing to Central Arkansas. This might be the worst remaining team in the playoffs.

Illinois State lost a chance to be seeded when they lost a bad game to Youngstown State. They did beat SDSU this year after SDSU lost their starting QB, but lost their own QB toward the end of the season. They made it out of the MVFC though and have a RB that can take over games. I'm not overly impressed, but don't like the idea of a run-first ground and pound team from the MVFC coming into Bozeman.

Northern Iowa is overrated IMHO, but they did beat Illinois State and has a very good defense. They try to keep the games low scoring and beat you at the end. Again, no thanks.

Albany had the easiest schedule in the CAA and only faced one playoff team, Monmouth, to whom they lost.

Well done on your assessment.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:38 pm

coachouert wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:37 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm
PapaG wrote:

Well done on your assessment.
Best possible? UM.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Sac_hornets
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sac_hornets » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:05 pm

msuhunter wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 am
We are the much better team. We should win going away. Here’s to hoping Sac lays an egg in their game and we host 2 games. Game should be fun but the real playoffs start in the quarterfinals.
Lol, let’s hope MSU lays an egg. Your way to over confident

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:03 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:58 pm
UA Fan wrote:
Hi Bobcat fans! I took the plunge and registered ... happy to be representing in some small way Great Danes football fans. Glad to try and answer questions. I couldn’t help but poke some fun your way. Truly,I’d rather be in the mountains than the city so I envy your location. Our little corner of upstate has roughly the population of Montana. So while we’re not the Big Apple, we aren’t the wilderness either.

A little context on our season: in the woulda, shoulda, coulda category was Monmouth, where we lost by 3 in OT and Richmond, where a missed extra point and field goal were the difference. The team made a very respectable showing against Central Michigan, currently leading their MAC division. Against Maine we came out flat and stayed flat.

I watched some highlights from your beatdown of the Griz. Impressive running game. So what do you wonder about?
Welcome, UA Fan, to our board! Always happy to have our friendly rivals join in our discussion and we don't mind a little poking fun. (We save our real smack for those ... ahem ... people to our west.)

I was impressed by the turnaround in yesterday's game. Your defense rallied well after the first few CC drives, but your offense seemed to stay in the locker room for the first 25 minutes of the game. Was this a case of coming out "flat," or do you have a tendency to start slowly and roll after making some key adjustments at half?
Thanks. Sometimes we can’t figure out our own offense. This QB is still a little green so maybe he’s a bit inconsistent early. We came out flat against Rhode Island, then they melted down in the third quarter and we smoked them. Against Maine it was our guys with the better start and then the wheels came off in the third. Against Stony Brook our O came out firing on all cylinders and then slowed up. So a very mixed bag. CCSU is a rival from our prior league and their head coach was on the UA staff for 13 years....so maybe some extra motivation. Our QB has like 39 tds and only about 9 picks...he really has a cannon, but can make the touch throws too. I’m certain that MSU will be the best team UA has faced since Central Michigan. Should be an interesting test.

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:12 pm

Oh, someone mentioned running into some likable $iena fans in Spokane. I know some nice folks from $iena too. They are bitter crosstown MBB rivals And we always refrain from actually spelling it out. Some of us on our board call them LCC. Loudonville Community College. I guess sort of your Griz relationship.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:19 pm

UA Fan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:03 pm
nevadacat wrote:
UA Fan wrote:

Thanks. Sometimes we can’t figure out our own offense. This QB is still a little green so maybe he’s a bit inconsistent early. We came out flat against Rhode Island, then they melted down in the third quarter and we smoked them. Against Maine it was our guys with the better start and then the wheels came off in the third. Against Stony Brook our O came out firing on all cylinders and then slowed up. So a very mixed bag. CCSU is a rival from our prior league and their head coach was on the UA staff for 13 years....so maybe some extra motivation. Our QB has like 39 tds and only about 9 picks...he really has a cannon, but can make the touch throws too. I’m certain that MSU will be the best team UA has faced since Central Michigan. Should be an interesting test.
Ever since our last loss against North Dakota, something with our defense clicked and they’ve been on a reign of terror.

Our ground game speaks for itself; no need to belabor the point.

Our air game has shown steady, incremental improvement but it’s still not where we want it to be.

The last two weeks we’ve been betting underdogs and have won outright. We’re peaking at the right time.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:25 pm

UA Fan wrote:
nevadacat wrote:
UA Fan wrote:

:lol: :lol: Yeah, we have no idea what our offense is either, I don't know how to describe it other than defenses have to be ready for anything.

We have a RS SO starting at QB but will snap the ball to 3 or more other players including our starting linebacker (who was our QB last year and may or may not play this week) We will run 4-5 players at RB, whoever is healthy enough to play. We will use a lot of formations and lot of motion and counters to make it a shell game so nobody know where the ball is going or who has it. Once the defense has about everybody in the box and we have man on the outside we will go deep, still we occasionally run standard inside zone, power, bubble screens and slants. Each game seems to use different parts of the playbook, and a few use a lot of it.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37 pm

You can get a sense of what we do from this video off of YouTube

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Sac_hornets wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:05 pm
msuhunter wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 am
We are the much better team. We should win going away. Here’s to hoping Sac lays an egg in their game and we host 2 games. Game should be fun but the real playoffs start in the quarterfinals.
Lol, let’s hope MSU lays an egg. Your way to over confident

You are right, but actually it's "you're way too over confident". :)

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:40 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:25 pm
UA Fan wrote:
nevadacat wrote:
UA Fan wrote:

:lol: :lol: Yeah, we have no idea what our offense is either, I don't know how to describe it other than defenses have to be ready for anything.

We have a RS SO starting at QB but will snap the ball to 3 or more other players including our starting linebacker (who was our QB last year and may or may not play this week) We will run 4-5 players at RB, whoever is healthy enough to play. We will use a lot of formations and lot of motion and counters to make it a shell game so nobody know where the ball is going or who has it. Once the defense has about everybody in the box and we have man on the outside we will go deep, still we occasionally run standard inside zone, power, bubble screens and slants. Each game seems to use different parts of the playbook, and a few use a lot of it.
I noticed that in the highlights. The D coaches will be putting in some late nights I’m sure. Our D line is veteran and the LBs are good. The secondary has a lot of experience too. Our best pass rusher was recruited as a RB, then the coach told him he could be an all conference LB, he switched and now is a hybrid DE/OLB. Has the school sack record now.
UA seldom runs a wildcat formation anymore, but has occasional trickeration. There’s three very good receivers and a couple of good TEs. RB is primarily Mofor, 5-8 and about 230. Powerful runner with good, but not blazing speed. James is an FBS transfer with good moves and speed, a nice change of pace. The QB runs sparingly. Our special teams are OK. The PK had some rough patches , but is getting better....punter is fine. Our best return man has been out with an injury....not sure what his status is.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:56 pm

All I know is this is going to be longest week ever!