Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lutecat
Member # Retired

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by lutecat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:54 am

Confidence is fine. But some of you sound cocky. That's not a good look. It's the playoffs. Anything can happen. If we play our game we should win.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:37 am

](*,)

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:09 am

accidental double post
Last edited by CPrice91 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:10 am

Catbacker_1 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:45 pm
Interesting read over on the Danes site. So far my impression is we a bunch of over confident fans living in a middle of nowhere cowtown waiting on the super volcano to erupt, but at least we have elevation.
Really? Upstate NY thinks we're a cowtown in the middle of nowhere? That's rich. I really hate east coasters sometimes.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:34 am

Massey has them as them as the #16 team in FCS.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:46 am

Rich K wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:46 pm
nevadacat wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:55 pm
Here's the link to the Albany forum.
http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/forum/ ... ld-hockey/
Tried to register and say hello. Their security check question must be a secret. Good luck.
I know there are more than a few Albany fans that are reading this board. If you can't sign into their forum you might consider posting an invite to your Las Vegas party on here for them. I always like seeing your invitation on opponent message boards and consider it a wonderful sign of good sportsmanship. If nothing else it gives us something to read while waiting for Mt. Yellowstone to blow.
Good idea, Rich.

Great Danes fans, point your browser here.

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... =3&t=47616

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:41 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:10 pm
Surely the MSU football team is going to read of our brash overconfidence here on this fan forum, choose to mimic it, and wind up falling into a trap game. Count on that.

We all need to memorize this boilerplate line: "[Team X] will be tough, but the Cats can beat them if they play their best!"

And then every pre game thread can just be 67 people saying just that, over and over again.
You're young, you'll learn! :coffee: 8)
Learn what? Not to have a different opinion from yours?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:17 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:29 pm
Couple things. Was able to read their board, and since it’s apparently 1996 and we can’t get on their board, maybe those that have already visited here will spread the word and we can get some discussion going.

Also, after reading over there, and the comments here, I wanted to clear something up. Speaking only for myself. My intent wasn’t to come across as a cocky fan. Everything we do as fans is just a guess. We’re going to look at the opponent and make our best guess.

Based on what I know of the cats, and based on what I watched today, my GUESS is that the Cats win this one. Not saying they shouldn’t make the trip. Not saying their garbage. Not pretending we’re Alabama or the Patriots. I simply feel like we look much better. Nothing more, nothing less.

As I said, seeing as we can’t get on their board, I hope more come over here. Would love to learn more about them. Would also love to know if any are making the trip to our beautiful area?!
This pretty much sums up my impression also

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:22 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:41 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:10 pm
Surely the MSU football team is going to read of our brash overconfidence here on this fan forum, choose to mimic it, and wind up falling into a trap game. Count on that.

We all need to memorize this boilerplate line: "[Team X] will be tough, but the Cats can beat them if they play their best!"

And then every pre game thread can just be 67 people saying just that, over and over again.
You're young, you'll learn! :coffee: 8)
Learn what? Not to have a different opinion from yours?
Come on RG, relax, you're the snarky one. Your opinion is always welcome by me. However, remember that you can be "never in doubt", but it doesn't mean you're right! :D

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:28 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:47 pm
I hope the Cats don't grade this game the way some of you posters do. Albany will come in ready to give their best shot, and while I like our chances in this game, overconfidence has never looked good on Montana State...Ever!

Formula for success" Play to win, beat down every opponent, and never look in the mirror believing you've arrived.
Who cares if fans are confident? Maybe some of us actually expect this program to be good? Just a thought.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 am

We are the much better team. We should win going away. Here’s to hoping Sac lays an egg in their game and we host 2 games. Game should be fun but the real playoffs start in the quarterfinals.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:33 am

There is a hint of "Bizon fan" confidence where the only topic of discussion is how much they will win by.

CCSU pass defense was bad, very bad. Albanys receivers continually caught uncontested balls. The thing I noticed though was the balls were very well thrown and the receivers caught them in stride. Even with better coverage, those passes stay completions. I'm impressed with their passing game.

That said, I think Cats have put the beat down of the griz behind them and are looking at this as the most important game of the year. If they play to their ability, I think a two score win is likely.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:28 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:47 pm
I hope the Cats don't grade this game the way some of you posters do. Albany will come in ready to give their best shot, and while I like our chances in this game, overconfidence has never looked good on Montana State...Ever!

Formula for success" Play to win, beat down every opponent, and never look in the mirror believing you've arrived.
Who cares if fans are confident? Maybe some of us actually expect this program to be good? Just a thought.
You’re forgetting that some here believe the staff and players use the wisdom of us keyboard warriors for the entirety of their game prep .... Fans can focus on whatever we want, remember we’re not playing. For instance, I will be focusing on how many beers I can drink during the tailgates.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:35 am

From the little bit of the game I watched, it looks like Albany made their money off the RPO game. Albany was able to suck the linebackers up and then pass the ball to that vacated space. That’s something we’ve seen a lot of this year with varying results, but we seem to be improving.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:39 am

rivercat wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:33 am
There is a hint of "Bizon fan" confidence where the only topic of discussion is how much they will win by.

CCSU pass defense was bad, very bad. Albanys receivers continually caught uncontested balls. The thing I noticed though was the balls were very well thrown and the receivers caught them in stride. Even with better coverage, those passes stay completions. I'm impressed with their passing game.

That said, I think Cats have put the beat down of the griz behind them and are looking at this as the most important game of the year. If they play to their ability, I think a two score win is likely.
The UA QB never had anyone in his face though, he had a clean pocket to throw from, our defensive front is very good at squeezing the pocket and making QB's nervous, even when we dont get to them. Its not easy to make those throws from a phone booth.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:43 am

One think I am certain of, Choate will have a presser on Monday and make these guys sound like the @!#$ New England Patriots coached by the best coach and staff in the country. I always have to reevaluate after his pressers. :shock:

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:46 am

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:39 am
rivercat wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:33 am

The UA QB never had anyone in his face though, he had a clean pocket to throw from, our defensive front is very good at squeezing the pocket and making QB's nervous, even when we dont get to them. Its not easy to make those throws from a phone booth.
This.
Our secondary is better; however we will have to get pressure on the quarterback which I think we will do. Kid has a nice arm.

I have to wean calves at about 4:30 in the morning but after I finish milking the cows I will be tailgating plenty early. Hope to see y’all there ! Besides the regular flap jacks will have pork and venison sausage!

Lol

Seriously though, good luck to the visitors and I hope it’s a great game!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:52 am

We were pretty light last year at our Thanksgiving weekend playoff game. Box score says 10,017. Hopefully we have at least another 5000 this weekend and people don’t use Weather as an excuse. Awesome atmosphere when we’re full!

Don’t know what our attendance was when Stony Brook was here but the atmosphere was awesome and we were closer to probably 75% full.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:07 am

I thought I read somewhere that this was Albany’s first playoff win? If that’s true than congrats to them. That would also mean that they have been improving their program. The stats of their offense seems impressive.

It’s tough to come out and dominate after your first playoff win and I question if they feel they have arrived. Let’s be honest we saw first hand last year what a difference the first round vs second round games are. We where very happy to make the playoffs and then get a home game and a win last year. Playoff football is just different, Choate and company have seen this first hand Albany has not.

I believe we will be ready for a second round playoff game while Albany will be ready for a playoff game (yes there is a difference). I’m not overconfident I just believe our team is built for a December game in Bozeman. I expect the Cats to win but I think Albany is going to score some points as well. I see the Cats being in a close game in the first half and pulling away in the second to win by two scores.

UA Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UA Fan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 am

Hi Bobcat fans! I took the plunge and registered ... happy to be representing in some small way Great Danes football fans. Glad to try and answer questions. I couldn’t help but poke some fun your way. Truly,I’d rather be in the mountains than the city so I envy your location. Our little corner of upstate has roughly the population of Montana. So while we’re not the Big Apple, we aren’t the wilderness either.

A little context on our season: in the woulda, shoulda, coulda category was Monmouth, where we lost by 3 in OT and Richmond, where a missed extra point and field goal were the difference. The team made a very respectable showing against Central Michigan, currently leading their MAC division. Against Maine we came out flat and stayed flat.

I watched some highlights from your beatdown of the Griz. Impressive running game. So what do you wonder about?