Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by Rich K » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:53 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm
Tough to gauge their team talent by watching only one game.
I didn't even watch one game. It's not that hard. :)
Truth is, I'm a terrible predictor and I gave up trying to be accurate years ago.....

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:57 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 pm
Wow, this board spent the past week poking fun at the overconfidence displayed by Griz fans during Cat/Griz week following up their big win over Weber...and now this thread appears to be rapidly veering in that exact same direction.

Sports are so great because they're so unpredictable.

Does MSU have more talent across the board than Albany? Yes.
Will MSU be favored to win next week? Yes
Will pretty much everything go right for MSU like it did against UM? Almost certainly not.

Make no mistake, Albany is a legit team and can beat MSU next week, just like any of the four Big Sky seeds could lose if they come out flat after the bye week or make one too many key mistakes at the wrong time.

Eh, I see half the people here being perhaps a little too overconfident (the occasional "we'll 100% roll" thrown in), but another half being cautious. Yeah, there are plenty of reactionary, bipolar, 100% up or 100% down fans here, but I think overall we're way better than those scUM to the west.

Anyhow, kinda already said it but as long as we don't come out flat or buy into our own hype, we should be just be fine.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:40 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wow, this board spent the past week poking fun at the overconfidence displayed by Griz fans during Cat/Griz week following up their big win over Weber...and now this thread appears to be rapidly veering in that exact same direction.

Will pretty much everything go right for MSU like it did against UM? Almost certainly not.

Make no mistake, Albany is a legit team and can beat MSU next week, just like any of the four Big Sky seeds could lose if they come out flat after the bye week or make one too many key mistakes at the wrong time.
Ugh... do we really need lectures about "being overconfident?"

What does it matter? And what if it's an honest opinion?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:40 pm
MSU01 wrote:

I agree. It’s just an opinion. I watched one game. Maybe this team is WAY better than they looked. Maybe they are really really good and I’m just being disrespectful. So I won’t say anything about them. I’ll just predict the Cats win by about 17-20.

Honestly I feel like so many cat fans are scared of actually being good! I’m not saying you have to get all griz and assume you’re going to blow out every team no matter what the situation is.....but there is no shame thinking your #5 seeded cats can roll a team at home. :-k

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:47 pm

I hope the Cats don't grade this game the way some of you posters do. Albany will come in ready to give their best shot, and while I like our chances in this game, overconfidence has never looked good on Montana State...Ever!

Formula for success" Play to win, beat down every opponent, and never look in the mirror believing you've arrived.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:56 pm

In a bizarre twist of fate, griz fans on egriz are picking us to roll. Some by a few touchdowns. Cat fans predicting similar results here getting blasted!

Maybe we really are acting like griz fans!

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:10 pm

Surely the MSU football team is going to read of our brash overconfidence here on this fan forum, choose to mimic it, and wind up falling into a trap game. Count on that.

We all need to memorize this boilerplate line: "[Team X] will be tough, but the Cats can beat them if they play their best!"

And then every pre game thread can just be 67 people saying just that, over and over again.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:22 pm

Their resume is not impressive. They lost to Monmouth by 3. The very next week, the Griz beat Monmouth by 20. Albany also only beat two teams with a winning record in the regular season: Towson (7-5) and New Hampshire (6-5). Neither made the playoffs. I think the Colonial is going through a down phase right now while the Big Sky seems to be stronger than normal this year.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Couple things. Was able to read their board, and since it’s apparently 1996 and we can’t get on their board, maybe those that have already visited here will spread the word and we can get some discussion going.

Also, after reading over there, and the comments here, I wanted to clear something up. Speaking only for myself. My intent wasn’t to come across as a cocky fan. Everything we do as fans is just a guess. We’re going to look at the opponent and make our best guess.

Based on what I know of the cats, and based on what I watched today, my GUESS is that the Cats win this one. Not saying they shouldn’t make the trip. Not saying their garbage. Not pretending we’re Alabama or the Patriots. I simply feel like we look much better. Nothing more, nothing less.

As I said, seeing as we can’t get on their board, I hope more come over here. Would love to learn more about them. Would also love to know if any are making the trip to our beautiful area?!

Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catbacker_1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Interesting read over on the Danes site. So far my impression is we a bunch of over confident fans living in a middle of nowhere cowtown waiting on the super volcano to erupt, but at least we have elevation. I have no doubt they will be a decent team, their QB made some nice throws and a rusher that put up over 1200 yards this season. However there is a reason that all but one of the top teams in the FCS play west of the Mississippi. We have been tested against top competition this year and nothing they bring will be something we haven’t seen before. There is no way they have seen a running game like ours. If we get rolling early, we win going away.
Last edited by Catbacker_1 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

orsalak

Post by orsalak » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:56 pm

Man they are butt hurt over on their board. These guys are good they beat 5 ranked teams and they live in a highly populated state.

22-0

MSUBRONCO

Post by MSUBRONCO » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 pm

My Post copied over from the Albany CCSU thread
I don't think this is a gimme game, we will need to play Albany stepped up a lot in second half, are we favored and should win? yes but can't make mistakes if we play like did with cat griz will be an easy win if play not so good will be a close one. Stopped watching at end of 3rd so could make the women's basketball game in seattle(cats won btw)
Hard to say about them after only 1 game

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I agree. It’s just an opinion. I watched one game. Maybe this team is WAY better than they looked. Maybe they are really really good and I’m just being disrespectful. So I won’t say anything about them. I’ll just predict the Cats win by about 17-20.

Honestly I feel like so many cat fans are scared of actually being good! I’m not saying you have to get all griz and assume you’re going to blow out every team no matter what the situation is.....but there is no shame thinking your #5 seeded cats can roll a team at home. :-k
I'd also pick MSU to win by 2-3 scores if I were making a prediction. But when I see comments like saying that Albany is at the same level as SUU and UNC in the Big Sky, that's just plain wrong. They're a playoff team and therefore shouldn't be dismissed like that even if MSU will be heavily favored to win.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:41 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:10 pm
Surely the MSU football team is going to read of our brash overconfidence here on this fan forum, choose to mimic it, and wind up falling into a trap game. Count on that.

We all need to memorize this boilerplate line: "[Team X] will be tough, but the Cats can beat them if they play their best!"

And then every pre game thread can just be 67 people saying just that, over and over again.
You're young, you'll learn! :coffee: 8)

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:46 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:55 pm
Here's the link to the Albany forum.
http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/forum/ ... ld-hockey/
Tried to register and say hello. Their security check question must be a secret. Good luck.
I know there are more than a few Albany fans that are reading this board. If you can't sign into their forum you might consider posting an invite to your Las Vegas party on here for them. I always like seeing your invitation on opponent message boards and consider it a wonderful sign of good sportsmanship. If nothing else it gives us something to read while waiting for Mt. Yellowstone to blow.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:56 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I'd also pick MSU to win by 2-3 scores if I were making a prediction. But when I see comments like saying that Albany is at the same level as SUU and UNC in the Big Sky, that's just plain wrong. They're a playoff team and therefore shouldn't be dismissed like that even if MSU will be heavily favored to win.
I’m not dismissing them. Like you, I think we’ll win by a few scores. Know who else we beat by a few scores? SUU and UNC. I’m not saying that to talk trash. I just feel like the score may be similar?

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:05 am

Tried to register to say hello. Got the security question right, but says I can't use my email address. :?

GO CATS!!!

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 am

Come on Albany guys and gals! Join up here so some real football can be talked about. Either than or lighten up on the Fort Knox security on your site. Or option 3, just stay on your own site and talk about us overconfident dismissive hicks from the middle of nowhere. It’s okay I get it, the super volcano will take care of us soon anyway so it probably doesn’t matter.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Team10

Post by Team10 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:37 am

orsalak wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:56 pm
Man they are butt hurt over on their board. These guys are good they beat 5 ranked teams and they live in a highly populated state.
I saw they mentioned that, too. We're they ranked when the played them or that they were ranked at some point in the season?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:51 am

https://caasports.com/news/2019/11/26/j ... wards.aspx

CAA Coach of the Year
Picked to finish 12th in the league’s preseason poll, Gattuso guided UAlbany to a best-ever second-place finish in the CAA with a 6-2 mark. The Great Danes went 8-4 overall, earned a berth in the FCS playoffs for the first time since 2011, and were ranked No. 25 in the final regular-season STATS FCS Top 25 poll. UAlbany won five of its final six games and achieved its highest victory total since 2012. Gattuso is a finalist for the STATS Eddie Robinson Award, which is presented to the top head coach in FCS football.

CAA Offensive Rookie of the Year
Undercuffler ranked second in the nation with a school-record 33 touchdown passes this season. The redshirt freshman completed 225-of-397 passes for a school-record 2,966 yards and was only picked off seven times. Undercuffler threw for over 300 yards four times and had seven games with at least three touchdown passes. He ranks 8th in FCS in points responsible for and is 26th in passing efficiency. Undercuffler is a finalist for the Jerry Rice Award as the top freshman in FCS.

First Team CAA
Karl Mofor, UAlbany RB Jr. Greenbelt, Md.
Juwan Green, UAlbany WR Sr. Martinsburg, W.Va.
Eli Mencer, UAlbany DL Sr. Altoona, Pa.

Second Team CAA
Levi Metheny, UAlbany LB Jr. Bethel Park, Pa.

Third Team CAA
LJ Wesneski, UAlbany TE Jr. Forty Fort, Pa.
Sean Kennedy, UAlbany OL Sr. Staten Island, N.Y.