Hero Sport's Sam Herder at Cat/Griz game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Hero Sport's Sam Herder at Cat/Griz game

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:28 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:02 pm
Rich K wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:44 am
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... ntana-bzbz

Sam: Montana State 21-20

I can't wait to get to Bozeman for this one!

While this game looks to be another coin flip, the safer pick here is probably Montana. The Griz looked like undoubtedly the third-best team in the country with their dominating win against Weber State. Meanwhile, the Bobcats looked solid in a road win against UC Davis, but we're still unsure of if this team is pretty good, good or very good. They just haven't had that marquee win yet. Well, I think they get it on Saturday. The non-football analysis part of me that has covered a lot of FCS football for several years just has my gut telling me MSU is going to win. Life, in the world of trying to predict the FCS playoff field Saturday night, would be a lot easier if Montana wins. And really, Montana is rightfully favored entering this game. But this seems like the kind of final-week-of-the-regular-season curveball the FCS always throws us.

Now, for the actual football side of things ... It's no secret that to beat this team, you sell out to stop the run complemented by a disciplined secondary. Yet the Bobcats are still finding a ton of success rushing the football even when teams know it's coming and rank eighth in the FCS with 259.9 rushing yards per game. Montana's defense is on a higher level than MSU's previous opponents, holding teams to 112.6 rushing yards per game (13th in the FCS). But with MSU being able to get chunks of yards on the ground in so many different ways and with so many different players, I think the Bobcats are going to find just enough success with their rushing attack to win this game. That means it'll take a spirited effort from the defense to slow down one of the best offenses in the FCS. I like MSU's defensive line matchup versus Montana's improved, but still "gettable" offensive line. While it's going to be hard to rattle Dalton Sneed, I think the Bobcats can make him uncomfortable. If the d-line can force him to get the ball out of his hands even quicker than normal and MSU's DBs and LBs can fly to the ball, be fundamentally sound in their tackling and not allow Montana's skilled guys to bust a big play, I see the Bobcats grinding out a win.
Don’t really care who he picks. He obviously didn’t watch the Weber game. They weren’t dominated. They were submissive.
You obviously didnt watch the game then.....the first few possessions that Weber had, our safeties and linebackers delivered some viscous hits. Knocked a few of there guys out of the game.

Montanas defense was playing on a completely different level of intensity than Webers offensive guys were ready for. It looked like a varsity team playing the JVs. The Griz thoroughly dominated that game.

Weber did have errors yes....but the Griz made them pay for making them.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:34 am

It'll be interesting to see how the refs call the game. The Griz are only 8th in the league in penalties against (yardage), middle of the road, but first in penalty yards per penalty, which means they are drawing the big flags, the personal fouls, the holds, the unsportsmanlikes. They are going to play to and past the whistle and aren't afraid to pile on. I've seen some hits from the Griz this year that aren't obvious penalties but pretty borderline. The Griz have only drawn 59 flags all year, 3rd best, but are 8th in yards - just more data for their big penalty theory.

The Cats are 1st in penalties against and 3rd in yards per penalty, meaning most of MSU's penalties are smaller infractions, which makes sense because we've had more than our fair share of delay of games, illegal formations, just sloppy pre-snap stuff.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 pm
That narratives drives me crazy. We'd be absolutely gloating about dominating Weber if it was us. You can downplay it all you want and yes Weber imploded a bit but you're kidding yourself if you think we'd be any less excited than Griz fans are about it.
We would be. And Griz fans would be saying the exact same thing! :lol:

The narrative that drives me crazy? There is NO WAY the Cats can be a good team because we haven't played anyone yet. But no one is talking about how the Griz haven't won a single road game over a winning team. And the one winning team they did play on the road crushed them by three scores. :-^

Everybody is full of it, Cats/griz/everybody. This week especially. The Cats are a good team, will play well, and this should be a great game. However, I laugh when I see "Griz haven't won on road over a winning team" like that is something meaningful.

When you go down that road you have to admit these Cats have won exactly one game over a team with a winning record (home/road/anywhere). Just one win. So the Cats can be a good team, I think they are. Yet we have to admit they haven't hardly played anyone yet.

I have no doubt the Cats can beat the Grizzlies. I also have no doubt the Grizzlies can beat a team with a winning record on the road in Bozeman. This game is shaping up to be classic.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:28 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 pm
That narratives drives me crazy. We'd be absolutely gloating about dominating Weber if it was us. You can downplay it all you want and yes Weber imploded a bit but you're kidding yourself if you think we'd be any less excited than Griz fans are about it.
We would be. And Griz fans would be saying the exact same thing! :lol:

The narrative that drives me crazy? There is NO WAY the Cats can be a good team because we haven't played anyone yet. But no one is talking about how the Griz haven't won a single road game over a winning team. And the one winning team they did play on the road crushed them by three scores. :-^

Everybody is full of it, Cats/griz/everybody. This week especially. The Cats are a good team, will play well, and this should be a great game. However, I laugh when I see "Griz haven't won on road over a winning team" like that is something meaningful.

When you go down that road you have to admit these Cats have won exactly one game over a team with a winning record (home/road/anywhere). Just one win. So the Cats can be a good team, I think they are. Yet we have to admit they haven't hardly played anyone yet.

I have no doubt the Cats can beat the Grizzlies. I also have no doubt the Grizzlies can beat a team with a winning record on the road in Bozeman. This game is shaping up to be classic.
That was exactly my point. People are constantly bringing up our schedule this year like it's something new. Beating bad teams doesn't automatically make you bad. Maybe you're pretty good and the way the schedule shales out you just don't play anyone good?

My post was tongue in cheek. If griz fans know we are so bad because we haven't played anyone....then can't I use the same logic? Seems to me how a team performs on the road could be a meaningful stat before that team plays on the road. :-k

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 pm

allcat wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:56 am
Cat turned Griz wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 pm
Great minds think a like
How do you "think a like"? Do you conjure it out of thin air? What do you use it for? Do you introduce it at parties?
That’s the high quality education from missoula community college right there! Wow! “Flagship” school for sure .... :lol:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:17 am

Hero Sports podcast including Herder's recap of his experience at the Beatdown in Bozeman

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... tions-bzbz

I guess they talk about the playoffs as well.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:43 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:43 pm
What I liked and a great take away was this:
On the Friday before the game, MSU superstar sports information director Bill Lamberty hooked me up with 1-on-1 chats with athletic director Leon Costello and head coach Jeff Choate. I want you guys to realize how rare this is at a Division 1 program to have access to the AD and the HC right before the biggest day in the state. Not to mention Bethany Cordell, the associate AD for marketing, giving me a tour of Bobcat Stadium was awesome considering she was juggling several different things to ensure the GameDay operations went smoothly the next day.
Yup.. they all know how to PROMOTE MSU. They know that this HERO exposure is good for the program.

And the uber driver comments and a good brewery or two doesn't hurt.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BrianMacHEROSPTS
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BrianMacHEROSPTS » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:12 pm

Montana State was outstanding to Sam. OUTSTANDING. First class ... Big Sky in general has been good to our operation when we've tried to expand what we're doing and grow. Our business model is not like the old school typical Newspaper style. Our biz model has always been to tell the stories of the FCS level, and work with schools to do that. MSU has had an open door all along to let us do this, and Coach Choate, Bill Lamberty, Leon Costello ... you name it, they're willing to work with us.

Sam loved that trip. Bozeman's a great place and he got a first-hand take on it.

Hit me up any time at brian.mclaughlin@herosports.com or on TweeterWorld @BrianMacWriter. Appreciate all FCS fans.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:18 pm

Choate, Leon, and Bethany all seem to be pretty progressive and on the cutting edge of athletic trends, and this is just a microcosm of that. This is such a breath of fresh air from administrations past who seemed a little "stuck in the mud"

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:23 pm

BrianMacHEROSPTS wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:12 pm
Montana State was outstanding to Sam. OUTSTANDING. First class ... Big Sky in general has been good to our operation when we've tried to expand what we're doing and grow. Our business model is not like the old school typical Newspaper style. Our biz model has always been to tell the stories of the FCS level, and work with schools to do that. MSU has had an open door all along to let us do this, and Coach Choate, Bill Lamberty, Leon Costello ... you name it, they're willing to work with us.

Sam loved that trip. Bozeman's a great place and he got a first-hand take on it.
Thank you for Hero’s great coverage of the FCS and Montana State! You guys have some great content and it is much appreciated by our faithful!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:42 pm

BrianMacHEROSPTS wrote:

Looks like MAP Brewing was not on the list. Missed out there. Back in Bozeman for the Gold Rush game after being away for three decades we found MAP by accident. Darn good place...

GOOD write-up...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

cowgirlcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cowgirlcat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:57 pm

Great write up. I really enjoy Hero Sports. I check their site regularly and look forward to their podcasts every week. I’ve learned a lot about the FCS teams from them.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:01 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:42 pm
BrianMacHEROSPTS wrote:

Looks like MAP Brewing was not on the list. Missed out there. Back in Bozeman for the Gold Rush game after being away for three decades we found MAP by accident. Darn good place...

GOOD write-up...
STOP IT - Don't tell the tourists about MAP...

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:01 pm
RickRund wrote:
BrianMacHEROSPTS wrote:

GOOD write-up...
Whoops, sorry :) :)

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:01 pm
RickRund wrote:
BrianMacHEROSPTS wrote:

GOOD write-up...
Please. It's not like it can actually get busier than what it is, lol.

BrianMacHEROSPTS
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BrianMacHEROSPTS » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:55 pm

You guys are cracking me up above ... My Uncle (my Dad's twin brother) moved his family to Bozeman in 1989 when I was a teenager.

He was a Lt. Colonel in the Air Force and was the commandant of the AF ROTC at MSU. When he retired, he became a Speech Comm prof there and retired two years ago.

They love Bozeman, all three of my cousins graduated from Bozeman HS and two of my cousins went to MSU.

My Uncle David ALWAYS said ... SHHHHHHHH don't brag on Bozeman, keep the Californians away! LOL ... I get it.

Hit me up any time at brian.mclaughlin@herosports.com or on TweeterWorld @BrianMacWriter. Appreciate all FCS fans.

BrianMacHEROSPTS
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BrianMacHEROSPTS » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:57 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:23 pm
BrianMacHEROSPTS wrote:

Thank you for Hero’s great coverage of the FCS and Montana State! You guys have some great content and it is much appreciated by our faithful!
Appreciate you reading us, Cataholic. We really want to beef things up with the state of Montana, it's one of our next big steps. I'll let Sam know about the kind comments here too.

The fans out in the tailgating lot were beyond friendly to Sam as he handed out some of our swag and met up with some people he'd connected with on social media. Just a damned good fanbase. Griz fans were awesome too ... we've been around the NDSU diehards, the JMU diehards, Jacksonville State, etc etc etc. Just great people

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:58 pm

BrianMacHEROSPTS wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:55 pm
You guys are cracking me up above ... My Uncle (my Dad's twin brother) moved his family to Bozeman in 1989 when I was a teenager.

He was a Lt. Colonel in the Air Force and was the commandant of the AF ROTC at MSU. When he retired, he became a Speech Comm prof there and retired two years ago.

They love Bozeman, all three of my cousins graduated from Bozeman HS and two of my cousins went to MSU.

My Uncle David ALWAYS said ... SHHHHHHHH don't brag on Bozeman, keep the Californians away! LOL ... I get it.
Didn't work.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BrianMacHEROSPTS
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BrianMacHEROSPTS » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:15 pm

allcat wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:58 pm
BrianMacHEROSPTS wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:55 pm

Didn't work.
Yeah, that's what Unc always said. They moved into a neighborhood (Wagon Boss Trail was the name) and when they moved there ... there was no neighborhood in view in the backyard. But that changed quickly. I saw it in 1992 ... but the growth was exponential and the taxes went up.

Now Unc and Aunt have a place on SourDough near some big ole water tower looking thing. Traffic flies by, but they're just about next door to their old home they raised my cousins in.

But I'll tell all of you this ... Bozeman still is tranquil compared to Tampa Bay, FL