Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by catatac » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:27 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:40 am
It's hard to tell from high school tape, but for those who have some evaluation knowledge, question for you. Does this kid look like he has the ability to compete for the starting job immediately as a true frosh?
I would be incredibly surprised if he doesn't redshirt.

Tucker has improved by a fair amount the past few weeks. How he performs in the playoffs will determine how hard the staff pursues a transfer QB, imo. If he falters, they have to bring in a transfer. If he does well, they can go after a quality backup (in case somebody transfers).
They're gonna pursue a transfer anyway. Need more competitive arms in that room next year.
This one somewhat surprised me unless I missed something along the way. I completely understand keeping your eyes open and if you end up with a total stud FBS drop down in your lap, but I'm surprised we'd actively pursue a transfer? We've recruited and supposedly are developing several QBs, so obviously we have some sort of serious flaw here in how we're handling Freshmen QBs. From recollection, we have Tucker Rovig, Casey Bauman, Ruben Beltran, John Knight, Blake Thelen, Tommy Mellott, Grady Robison, there might be others I'm missing? I know we have other QBs on the roster but I think they were recruited to other positions. Isn't 7 QBs in the room enough?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:28 am

Why is the QB room any different than all other positions? Drop-downs and JC's at every other position are always valued and hardly ever questioned.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:00 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
It's hard to tell from high school tape, but for those who have some evaluation knowledge, question for you. Does this kid look like he has the ability to compete for the starting job immediately as a true frosh?

Tucker has improved by a fair amount the past few weeks. How he performs in the playoffs will determine how hard the staff pursues a transfer QB, imo. If he falters, they have to bring in a transfer. If he does well, they can go after a quality backup (in case somebody transfers).
They're gonna pursue a transfer anyway. Need more competitive arms in that room next year.
This one somewhat surprised me unless I missed something along the way. I completely understand keeping your eyes open and if you end up with a total stud FBS drop down in your lap, but I'm surprised we'd actively pursue a transfer? We've recruited and supposedly are developing several QBs, so obviously we have some sort of serious flaw here in how we're handling Freshmen QBs. From recollection, we have Tucker Rovig, Casey Bauman, Ruben Beltran, John Knight, Blake Thelen, Tommy Mellott, Grady Robison, there might be others I'm missing? I know we have other QBs on the roster but I think they were recruited to other positions. Isn't 7 QBs in the room enough?
Unless you're convinced they will all be QBs next year or even at MSU. Attrition happens and MSU can't be in a position again where they're oldest QB in the room is a sophomore. I'm not at all saying Tucker won't be the QB next year but we need more experienced competition at the position. I really hope this staff brings in a transfer whether it be a JUCO kid or FBS drop-down.

Casey Bauman may move to TE. Ruben Beltran may end up transferring. John Knight may just become a wildcat QB or move to defense. Tommy Mellott may start off at QB but turn into a better option at safety. I guess what Im trying to say is you can't just assume everything will stay static every year. More competition is a GOOD thing.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:02 pm

I would rather see us go get drop downs like Sterk and Williams. Our offense is loaded with talent. Guys like Robison and Mellott are amazing adds on to that offense. But, having drop downs on defense is huge. Offense wins games, defense wins championships!!

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:02 pm
I would rather see us go get drop downs like Sterk and Williams. Our offense is loaded with talent. Guys like Robison and Mellott are amazing adds on to that offense. But, having drop downs on defense is huge. Offense wins games, defense wins championships!!
I believe this staff will always try to add drop-downs/transfers on defense. Actually, we are going to need to at safety next year. The point I'm trying to make is FOR NEXT YEAR, adding a junior or senior QB to that still young room will only help the offense. I don't even consider Robison or Mellott in the QB conversation next year as they both should redshirt based off the guys in front of them. Its okay to be excited about recruits but true freshman QB's break through...unless you are Chris Murray behind Bruggman in 2015 (a rare situation).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm

catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

My recollection was that Knight was recruited as an athlete but was being given the chance to compete for QB. I thought the same was being said for Thelen, but I may be wrong on that. Mellot was also announced as an athlete recruit but he has lit it up as a QB this year. I could see Mellot as a wildcat option but with serious ability to throw the ball as well.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:52 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

My recollection was that Knight was recruited as an athlete but was being given the chance to compete for QB. I thought the same was being said for Thelen, but I may be wrong on that. Mellot was also announced as an athlete recruit but he has lit it up as a QB this year. I could see Mellot as a wildcat option but with serious ability to throw the ball as well.
I don't think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott ever play meaningful QB snaps here. Thelen might, but I'd be surprised.

So then you have Rovig, Bauman, and Robison. Can't trust Robison as a true freshman. Rovig has been average at best this year, and Bauman flat out wasn't very good. They're young, and should develop though.

With all that in mind, Vim is right, they should pursue a transfer QB. Ideally one who can compete for the starting job, of course.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:08 pm

They'd be flat out nuts not to pursue a transfer in the off-season.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:22 pm

I wasn’t disagreeing with you Vim on a juco or drop down QB, I just see doing it on the defensive side of the ball as a bigger area I guess. I know people want Tom Brady taking snaps for us, but besides a couple mistakes here and there, I feel like Rovig and Bauman did a good job this season considering how things played out.

Punters are people too!!

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:32 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:22 pm
I wasn’t disagreeing with you Vim on a juco or drop down QB, I just see doing it on the defensive side of the ball as a bigger area I guess. I know people want Tom Brady taking snaps for us, but besides a couple mistakes here and there, I feel like Rovig and Bauman did a good job this season considering how things played out.
The two things are not mutually exclusive. They should likewise seek transfer help on the DL and at safety, given the losses of Sterk, Marks, Scrempos, Ferriter, Konkol, Alleyne, and Henderson.

It's funny, though, that if people aren't totally sold on Rovig at QB in the long term, it must be because their standards are ridiculous.

Should I make some crack about how you're content to have the FCS version of Mitchell Trubisky at QB? So helpful.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:34 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:32 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
The two things are not mutually exclusive. They should likewise seek transfer help on the DL and at safety, given the losses of Sterk, Marks, Scrempos, Ferriter, Konkol, Alleyne, and Henderson.

It's funny, though, that if people aren't totally sold on Rovig at QB in the long term, it must be because their standards are ridiculous.

Should I make some crack about how you're content to have the FCS version of Mitchell Trubisky at QB? So helpful.
Please stop reminding me that my team has that bum as a QB.

So close, but so far away...

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:39 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:34 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

On the bright side, maybe you can spend your high first round pick on a-- oh... oh wait... hm... 2nd round quarterbacks work out sometimes! :wink:

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:53 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
I don't mean to be harsh, but Bauman was bad.

He was 41/84 for 450 yards. Sub 50% completion, and 5.4 YPA.

Rovig was better, at 122/207 for 1426 yards. 59% completion, 6.9 YPA, and 11/4 TD:INT. With that low of a completion percentage, I'd like to see a higher YPA. Low completion percentage paired with a pedestrian YPA means that you're missing on the easy and medium range passes.

Now I don't think Rovig is bad, but I don't really think he's good either. He's definitely been playing better, and I hope he continues to improve.

Long story short, I don't see how anybody could say Bauman and Rovig have been good this season. Our QB's have combined to accumulate 1,876 yards on 56% completion for 6.44 YPA. About the only good thing is that the TD:INT is 12:4. The rest of it is pretty mediocre, especially for a team that runs the ball so well.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:54 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:39 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:34 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

On the bright side, maybe you can spend your high first round pick on a-- oh... oh wait... hm... 2nd round quarterbacks work out sometimes! :wink:
Maybe we can try to trade up for more players that we don't use.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I don't think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott ever play meaningful QB snaps here. Thelen might, but I'd be surprised.

So then you have Rovig, Bauman, and Robison. Can't trust Robison as a true freshman. Rovig has been average at best this year, and Bauman flat out wasn't very good. They're young, and should develop though.

With all that in mind, Vim is right, they should pursue a transfer QB. Ideally one who can compete for the starting job, of course.
I do agree that TR made some huge strides in the last few weeks of the season and if he can continue to improve he will be a pretty good BSC QB. What makes you think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott will never play meaningful snaps at QB? I absolutely think the Thelen kid could develop into a fine QB. I think there is a heavy bias on what a BSC QB looks like physically and none of them fit the mold but that is a piss poor way to judge a kid coming in to compete and has been proven wrong many times.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm

seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I do agree that TR made some huge strides in the last few weeks of the season and if he can continue to improve he will be a pretty good BSC QB. What makes you think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott will never play meaningful snaps at QB? I absolutely think the Thelen kid could develop into a fine QB. I think there is a heavy bias on what a BSC QB looks like physically and none of them fit the mold but that is a piss poor way to judge a kid coming in to compete and has been proven wrong many times.
Who said anything about what they look like? I sure didn't. If this was all about physical measurable, then Bauman would be a first round pick.

I did say that Thelen might, because I think he has a good arm, but I think we're bringing in recruits that are better than him. Again, I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I think.

Who is Beltran going to beat out to get playing time? That's what I'm going on. Who's he going to beat out? I just don't see it.

Knight is a good athlete. I think he switches positions. I

like Mellott as an athlete, but I just don't see an FCS QB when I watch him. He's a very good athlete, and I think he's better used elsewhere.

Now I hope all these kids develop and prove me wrong. I'm just saying what I see when I watch them on tape.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:44 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm
seataccat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Who said anything about what they look like? I sure didn't. If this was all about physical measurable, then Bauman would be a first round pick.

I did say that Thelen might, because I think he has a good arm, but I think we're bringing in recruits that are better than him. Again, I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I think.

Who is Beltran going to beat out to get playing time? That's what I'm going on. Who's he going to beat out? I just don't see it.

like Mellott as an athlete, but I just don't see an FCS QB when I watch him. He's a very good athlete, and I think he's better used elsewhere.

Now I hope all these kids develop and prove me wrong. I'm just saying what I see when I watch them on tape.
Peace man, I am sure you know way more about this than I do. It just seemed odd that you would assume Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott would be less capable than Rovig, Bauman, and Robison judging by the on-field performance.
I know very little about any of these kids except what I have seen from Rovig and Bauman. I do know the Thelen kids dad have heard he is a very capable athlete and I have heard similar things from relatives in Butte about Mellott.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:58 pm

I think it can be easier for dropdowns to make an impact on defense because it's easier to rotate guys on that side of the ball. This is both an oversimplification and something of a false distinction, but offense tends to require 11 guys coordinating to execute a single plan, while defense is more about 11 guys each executing their own individual assignment. On defense, it's usually enough to be in the correct spot on the field doing the right thing. Offensive players often need to be in the right place relative to their teammates, not just the field, and timing relative to your teammates is also more often a factor. This means offensive players often need more time to get comfortable with each other, while you can plug a defensive player in if he knows the assignment and is capable of executing.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:34 pm

IMO Robison and Mellott are the best QB combo out of HS that MSU has ever signed. I don’t know how they’ll look going forward, but coming out of HS they’re tough to beat. The law of averages is on MSU’s side in this case.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 pm

seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:44 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm
seataccat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Peace man, I am sure you know way more about this than I do. It just seemed odd that you would assume Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott would be less capable than Rovig, Bauman, and Robison judging by the on-field performance.
I know very little about any of these kids except what I have seen from Rovig and Bauman. I do know the Thelen kids dad have heard he is a very capable athlete and I have heard similar things from relatives in Butte about Mellott.
In other words, he has very little evidence to make such a statement. Some of these kids haven’t even stepped onto campus yet some “experts” have already declared that we need a transfer?? And we are 9-3... Nobody knows how Thelen or Knight are performing unless you have been at every practice.