FCS coaches canned

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

FCS coaches canned

Post by Montanabob » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:54 pm

First of the coaching changes.
UNC https://uncbears.com/news/2019/11/24/football.aspx
Odds on the next coach fired?
I say petrino

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: FCS coaches canned

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:58 pm

I think Petrino still has a contract that Idaho can't afford to buy out of. I could be wrong, perhaps it's ending this year but I don't believe so.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:22 pm

I would think Idaho States coach has got to be on the hot seat....

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Idaho State has to have at least 1 more year. I'm surprised at Collins, they stuck with him this long, I thought they didn't care.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:26 pm

Gardner-Webb: Carroll McCray (Nov. 24) - new coach TBA

Mercer: Bobby Lamb (Nov. 24) - new coach TBA

Murray State: Mitch Stewart (Nov. 23) - new coach TBA

Northern Colorado: Earnest Collins III (Nov. 24) - new coach TBA
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

GoBears
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GoBears » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:40 pm
Idaho State has to have at least 1 more year. I'm surprised at Collins, they stuck with him this long, I thought they didn't care.
It's not that they didn't care, but he still had more years left on his contract. He still does, but it's one less than last year that they would have had to pay.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:39 am

GoBears wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 pm
allcat wrote:
It's not that they didn't care, but he still had more years left on his contract. He still does, but it's one less than last year that they would have had to pay.
After that many years, for him to have years on his contract is really bad business. Did the ever have even a winning season let alone vie for the championship. This game is about money, success gets the donations that help you keep up in the arms race.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:04 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:39 am
GoBears wrote:
allcat wrote:
After that many years, for him to have years on his contract is really bad business. Did the ever have even a winning season let alone vie for the championship. This game is about money, success gets the donations that help you keep up in the arms race.
I think they went 6-5 in 2015 and had another halfway decent year (for them).

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:04 pm
allcat wrote:
GoBears wrote:
allcat wrote:
If I lived in PocatHELLo I would hope to be fired so I could leave.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:59 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:29 pm
Cledus wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:04 pm
allcat wrote:
GoBears wrote:
allcat wrote:
If I lived in PocatHELLo I would hope to be fired so I could leave.
I think ISU as an institution has a lot of potential and upside. Like MSU, they completely dwarf UI the way we dwarf um. But being in Pocatello hurts them pretty hard.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:51 pm

Tim Walsh retired today. Will be interesting how they fill that position. Do they stay with the option offense?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:59 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:51 pm
Tim Walsh retired today. Will be interesting how they fill that position. Do they stay with the option offense?
It’s such a talent rich area it doesn’t make sense to me to run a triple option. That, and how do you even find a triple option coach these days? Seems like a pretty small pool from which to find a qualified candidate.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:05 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:59 am
wbtfg wrote:
It’s such a talent rich area it doesn’t make sense to me to run a triple option. That, and how do you even find a triple option coach these days? Seems like a pretty small pool from which to find a qualified candidate.
I've heard before, maybe from Colter, that the reason they run that offense is because recruiting is so competitive in that area. They're not able to get a bunch of good 280+ pound O-linemen, so they get the smaller athletic guys and teach them to cut block for the triple option.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:44 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:05 am
Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I've heard before, maybe from Colter, that the reason they run that offense is because recruiting is so competitive in that area. They're not able to get a bunch of good 280+ pound O-linemen, so they get the smaller athletic guys and teach them to cut block for the triple option.
Yeah, I can buy all that. I understand the service academies need to run the triple option because the academic standards are so high they have little shot at getting the best athletes. They also can't let their hogs get up past 280 or so, and so they need the speed that comes with a smaller frame.

It just seems to me that there are a lot of strong selling points to the school, campus and the town. If they prefer the triple option because they don't want to make the effort to recruit, then that seems a little lazy to me. I think if they committed themselves to recruiting they'd be pleasantly surprised.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:25 pm

Walsh was there 10 years and had an overall losing record. It would not surprise me if the ad did not give him the option of retiring. I think they will look for something different.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:18 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Academic standards are a pretty high bar at Cal Poly. But they have so many other selling points that I think they would do fine opening up their playbook. UC Davis has similar or higher standards.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:38 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:18 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Academic standards are a pretty high bar at Cal Poly. But they have so many other selling points that I think they would do fine opening up their playbook. UC Davis has similar or higher standards.
Indeed. Will be interesting to see who is hired to replace Walsh. An FBS retread - albeit a good one - like Hawkins at Davis, or a young up and comer?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:26 am

After going to the game at Cal Poly this year I can see why it might be attractive to coaches and players. If you have to live in California it wouldn't be a bad place to be. I still prefer Montana of course!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:35 am

HiLineCat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:26 am
After going to the game at Cal Poly this year I can see why it might be attractive to coaches and players. If you have to live in California it wouldn't be a bad place to be. I still prefer Montana of course!
Weather is good, stadium is high school. Game day is so much different. We have a lot of ads and lots of cams. I have been to Eastern, Sac, ND, Weber, isu, and the stadium named for another state. The only one that compares with ours is the stadium named for another state.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:48 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."