Weber at the griz

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Weber at the griz

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:40 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:41 pm
Gato Negro wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:04 pm
John K wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:45 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 pm
msuhunter wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:50 pm
John K wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:13 pm
On a side note, does anyone besides me want to throw up in their mouth, seeing those UM ads in which they refer to themselves as "the flagship"? What a joke!
To be fair, they do have a very large alumni base successfully working in the fast food industry throughout the state .... :coffee:
Flagship? More like flaginnertube.
A lot of their fans genuinely dont understand why we hate the griz so much. It's that kind of arrogance that just seems to be ingrained into UM alums and fans, and it just makes me nuts sometimes. In what world are they the "flagship", when their enrollment is barely half of ours?
Well, arrogance aside, UM actually IS the flagship university in Montana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ted_States
No, it is NOT THE flagship University. It is A flagship university. Words mean things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_State_University

Montana State University (MSU) is a public land-grant research university in Bozeman, Montana. It is the state's largest university[5] and flagship campus of the Montana State University System, which is part of the Montana University System.
The phrase flagship institution or flagship university may be applied to an individual school or campus within each state system. The College Board, for example, defines flagship universities as the best-known institutions in the state, noting that they were generally the first to be established and are frequently the largest and most selective, as well as the most research-intensive public universities.
MSU is the best known (equal?), first established (1893; UM 1895), largest (17,000; UM 9,000), most selective and most research-intensive (gets more research funding) between it and UM.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

go96griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by go96griz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:25 am
In the world where Bobby Hauck is the coach again, and the team is winning again. There is a huge separation between “griz fans” and supporters of the university as an educational institution. Be thankful our donors’ heavy money goes into academic buildings, while theirs goes into football shrines.. Apparently by their definition you still retain flagship rights even if the admiral runs the football team, and not the campus. I worked closely with um academic support professionals for years, traveled to workshops with them, helped with some projects, spent a lot of time together both home and away, became friends outside of work, and I don’t ever remember having a conversation with any of them involving football or griz athletics. It was almost as if there was a little embarrassment to admit they even attended games. The true “griz fans” are separated from the reality that is the university. Just my opinion based on my observations.
Would love to be educated about all your big donor provided academic buildings at msu. Just off the top of my head, UM has a business building, honors college, education building, journalism building, law building, pharmacy building, Native American center and executive education center. Not to mention they will soon have a new building to house their impressive art collection for public display. These are all big donor generated projects in the last 25 years and they have nothing to do with athletics. Thanks in advance for providing your list.

Perhaps all these non-football donor projects are the reason UM is now rated the top university in the state of Montana?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:58 pm

go96griz wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:33 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
In the world where Bobby Hauck is the coach again, and the team is winning again. There is a huge separation between “griz fans” and supporters of the university as an educational institution. Be thankful our donors’ heavy money goes into academic buildings, while theirs goes into football shrines.. Apparently by their definition you still retain flagship rights even if the admiral runs the football team, and not the campus. I worked closely with um academic support professionals for years, traveled to workshops with them, helped with some projects, spent a lot of time together both home and away, became friends outside of work, and I don’t ever remember having a conversation with any of them involving football or griz athletics. It was almost as if there was a little embarrassment to admit they even attended games. The true “griz fans” are separated from the reality that is the university. Just my opinion based on my observations.
Would love to be educated about all your big donor provided academic buildings at msu. Just off the top of my head, UM has a business building, honors college, education building, journalism building, law building, pharmacy building, Native American center and executive education center. Not to mention they will soon have a new building to house their impressive art collection for public display. These are all big donor generated projects in the last 25 years and they have nothing to do with athletics. Thanks in advance for providing your list.

Perhaps all these non-football donor projects are the reason UM is now rated the top university in the state of Montana?
The two largest donations to the MUS were Norm Asbjornsen's $50 million donation to the College of Engineering and Jake Jabs $25 million donation for the business school. I believe those are the top 2 donations toward anything in state history. Might be mistaken on that. I don't think there's been a donation to the MUS over $10 million other than those two. I think that Gianforte donated around $8 million to a renovation at MSU. All of these came within the last 10 years or so. I think Denny Washington's wife donated around $10 million towards a building at UM. I don't recall any other big private donations to academic infrastructure there.

But most of the buildings in the MUS are publicly funded.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm

go96griz wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Yippee, a shiny new building for art! That’ll stimulate jobs.

Top-rated university? Seriously, it’s not even close. Like, NFL vs. high school JV squad not close. MSU is 100x the school that UM is by any reasonable metric.

GO CATS GO!!!

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 am

go96griz wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Just a heads up that the US News and World Reports rankings that UM loved tossing out there this past year as the top ranked school in the state now have MSU ahead of them now by 8 spots. Neither school is lighting the world on fire with those rankings, but UM sure loved to use it in their talking points the past year.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/mt ... iversities

I am glad to see that all those non-football donor projects have done so much to help enrollment...

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 am

go96griz wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I laughed my way through this entire post. :lol: :lol:

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 am

coachouert wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 am
go96griz wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Just a heads up that the US News and World Reports rankings that UM loved tossing out there this past year as the top ranked school in the state now have MSU ahead of them now by 8 spots. Neither school is lighting the world on fire with those rankings, but UM sure loved to use it in their talking points the past year.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/mt ... iversities

I am glad to see that all those non-football donor projects have done so much to help enrollment...
Getting owned has GOT to hurt, @go96griz. Of course, your pathetic excuse for a football team should have prepared you well for just such an instance. #BacktoBacktoBack

GO CATS GO!!!

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:35 pm

:wink: :roll: =P~ :shock: :-^

I'm sure glad I waited until today to read this whole thread....

Talk about a litter of butt-hurt kittens

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 am

Catastrophy11 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:35 pm
:wink: :roll: =P~ :shock: :-^

I'm sure glad I waited until today to read this whole thread....

Talk about a litter of butt-hurt kittens
Look at yourself. You have more posts on a rival’s website than regular posters. Talk about pathetic.