MSU vs DumB predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU vs DumB predictions

Post by rivercat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:16 am

I think we will see Marks, Konkol, and Hill make plays that will will be key to victory. Like the other seniors, they haven't lost to the griz and have the opportunity to finish undefeated. Marks and Konkol (essentially home town kids and life long Bobcats) have been huge in every Cat griz game since they were freshmen. Hill was injured for last Cat griz but he rises to the big game.

Cats 31
griz 20

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:16 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:51 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:18 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:12 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:58 pm
I never predict the score in this game but I think both defenses will play well and the winner will have 1 more big offensive play than the loser. I think Rovig is going to make a couple big plays.
Rovig has a huge chance to be the X factor. If he screws up, MSU probably loses. If he does well, MSU probably wins. If he does neither, well, it’s back to square one.
100% agree. It'll be harder for him to do well, but I think that might depend on how well he's protected by the RB's. If they pick up pressure and keep him relatively upright, he can have a good game.
Average QB play has been the X-factor for MSU all season. Honestly, we've won half our games with below average QB play. Tucker is absolutely the biggest X-factor in this game. If he plays average (doesn't make mistakes and keeps his head), we have a good shot. If he plays above average (makes plays and exudes confidence throughout the game), MSU has a very good chance of winning this game going away.

UC Davis threw a lot at Tucker on defense. Tons of blitzes/disguised pressure and Tucker handled it relatively well (no big losses on sacks and made some good throws when under duress). He'll see that all day against UM. Will be a great opportunity for him to change the narrative on his career so far.
I respectfully disagree,I think the biggest X factor is establishing our running game. The Griz are tough on run D. We can clearly score a lot of points when we can consistently break out runs.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:28 am

Counter Assault wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:16 am
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
I never predict the score in this game but I think both defenses will play well and the winner will have 1 more big offensive play than the loser. I think Rovig is going to make a couple big plays.
Rovig has a huge chance to be the X factor. If he screws up, MSU probably loses. If he does well, MSU probably wins. If he does neither, well, it’s back to square one.
100% agree. It'll be harder for him to do well, but I think that might depend on how well he's protected by the RB's. If they pick up pressure and keep him relatively upright, he can have a good game.
Average QB play has been the X-factor for MSU all season. Honestly, we've won half our games with below average QB play. Tucker is absolutely the biggest X-factor in this game. If he plays average (doesn't make mistakes and keeps his head), we have a good shot. If he plays above average (makes plays and exudes confidence throughout the game), MSU has a very good chance of winning this game going away.

UC Davis threw a lot at Tucker on defense. Tons of blitzes/disguised pressure and Tucker handled it relatively well (no big losses on sacks and made some good throws when under duress). He'll see that all day against UM. Will be a great opportunity for him to change the narrative on his career so far.
I respectfully disagree,I think the biggest X factor is establishing our running game. The Griz are tough on run D. We can clearly score a lot of points when we can consistently break out runs.
Against good defenses, a successful running game is predicated on having at least a functional passing to keep the D from selling out to stop the run. Or they can stack the box every time and force the Cats to pass. Either scenario requires Rovig to be average to good to effectively move the ball.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:37 am

rivercat wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:28 am
Counter Assault wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Against good defenses, a successful running game is predicated on having at least a functional passing to keep the D from selling out to stop the run. Or they can stack the box every time and force the Cats to pass. Either scenario requires Rovig to be average to good to effectively move the ball.
Our pass D has been weak and Griz secondary has been terrible. What gives? Huge matchup.

Our rushing attack dominates and the griz have had a good defense against the rush. Who wins?

Those and turnovers will decide this game.

Go Cats!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:53 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:37 am
rivercat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Our pass D has been weak and Griz secondary has been terrible. What gives? Huge matchup.

Our rushing attack dominates and the griz have had a good defense against the rush. Who wins?

Go Cats!
???

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am

ilovethecats wrote:
rivercat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Our pass O has been weak and Griz secondary has been terrible. What gives? Huge matchup.

Go Cats!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:11 am

Honestly the Griz are going to make stopping the run a priority. It doesn't matter if we complete a few deep balls, as evidenced by their stats. They are going to stick to their guns, and say "bet you can't do that twice", and then "bet you can't do that a third time", and so on. As long as we aren't really scoring they will keep selling out on the run and blitzing the sh*t out of Rovig.

If our run game can't get going it's going to be a long day. If the game is a brutal affair and close at halftime, even if we've being somewhat shut down on the ground, we have a shot in the second half as we'll see if those body blows start hurting.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:18 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:11 am
Honestly the Griz are going to make stopping the run a priority. It doesn't matter if we complete a few deep balls, as evidenced by their stats. They are going to stick to their guns, and say "bet you can't do that twice", and then "bet you can't do that a third time", and so on. As long as we aren't really scoring they will keep selling out on the run and blitzing the sh*t out of Rovig.

If our run game can't get going it's going to be a long day. If the game is a brutal affair and close at halftime, even if we've being somewhat shut down on the ground, we have a shot in the second half as we'll see if those body blows start hurting.
I think this is exactly right.
That’s kind of what they’ve done with everyone.
I think they’ll gladly give up a few 50/50 balls to our receivers if it means they can tighten up in the red zone and hold us to 3 and also keep our run game at bay.

Rovig will have to consistently hit those shots and convert 3rd downs through the air for them to think about adjusting. A deep shot or two likely won’t change a thing this defense does.

That and the OL has to own the LOS so we can consistently get 4+ yards.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:45 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:53 am
ilovethecats wrote:
rivercat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Go Cats!
???
Fixed it... :-$ :oops:

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:11 pm

I was looking at stats this morning. While Jizz are last in pass D, they are #1 in sacks. Meaning they do sell out every time. That is probably why Sac State roasted them on passing, because their QB could handle the pressure and make the throw. While I agree that passing opens up the run D, I also think just offensive line performance and our perimeter run game is what opened us up last year in Missoula. We had some monster option pitch plays, including that one where Jones scored. I don't think UM stopped their blitz program last year, Troy just evaded them and gashed them for yards. He did make some good passes too...

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:17 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:45 am
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
rivercat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Go Cats!
???
Ah, duh... I probably could have just figured out it was a typo based on the context, my bad.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

mtgrizfankb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by mtgrizfankb » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:36 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:47 am
BadlandsGrizFanAgain wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm
It's Defense that wins championships, and our D is better than their D! At home, The STREAK continues...no need for analysis! 8)
Early in the season I would have agreed...now not so much.

The griz d has been playing pretty phenomenal as of late. Were playing a ton of young guys that are showing talent like we havent had here in a while. They cause a lot of "weird" things to happen to opposing QBs...lots of tipped balls. Gubnner leads the team in INTs.

It will be interesting to see how Rovig handles the chaotic play that our front line generates.
I am very concerned about this.....Rovig has had A LOT of balls tipped at the LOS.
This is an interesting point. I think it’s also worth a mention that Mcgourin the Griz freshman will play in the game. He has only played 3 and is going to redshirt but has made a substantial impact with his lateral quickness in the games he has played. Only had 2 sacks in 3 games but he is very good extending the play to the sideline. I think it might come down to tackling. MSU has some real beasts running the ball and UM has some guys who love to hammer on dudes. We have seen RBs bounce off of hits and tear up the Griz with the yards after contact! Can the Griz bring down the cat backs in one hit? It will be interesting to see

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 pm

I think the Cats have 3 of the most physical ball carriers in the league - Ifanse, Troy, Jonsen. Jonsen may not be a guy who trucks people but he doesn’t get pushed back very often and is good at avoiding big hits. I mean he’s 6’4 and all of 215. Throw in Logan Jones who pound for pound is one of the strongest backs we have and this isn’t a finesse backfield, but they can all take it to the house.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:57 pm

I think the two biggest statistical things MSU has going for it is yards per carry and individual TFL.

MSU averages 5.9 ypc. There’s only one team (EWU) within 1.3 yards of the Bobcats. The next 1.3 yards includes nine teams.

MSU has 4 of the top 7 players in TFL. They have a combined 49.5 TFL. No other team has 4 players in the top 20. MSU has 84 team TFL, SAC has 94. No one else has more than 74.

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Hard to get a good gut feeling on this one. I agree that UM should be favored, but I can certainly see MSU finding a way to win. Here's my take though: If we play good hard, mistake-free football for 4 full quarters, we win. I think the key in this game will be Rovig. He MUST hit the open receiver quickly. UM will go all out to stop our run and put the burden on Rovig. Sneed is just too dang good for UM to not score several times, so the O will need to get it done. Wouldn't hurt to get a couple of turnovers as well.

Bobcats 27, Cubbies 26

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Bobcats play like they’re capable:
MSU 27
UM 17
Bobcats shoot selves in foot:
MSU 17
UM 27

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:26 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:45 am
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
rivercat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Go Cats!
???
Totally bizarre thing to say. The Griz are #5 in the conference against the pass (Cats are #3). Not a big difference there.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:36 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:57 pm
I think the two biggest statistical things MSU has going for it is yards per carry and individual TFL.

MSU averages 5.9 ypc. There’s only one team (EWU) within 1.3 yards of the Bobcats. The next 1.3 yards includes nine teams.

MSU has 4 of the top 7 players in TFL. They have a combined 49.5 TFL. No other team has 4 players in the top 20. MSU has 84 team TFL, SAC has 94. No one else has more than 74.
That’s an absurdly good run game. For me, I think t comes down to this. The Griz are going to stack the box, bring run blitzes, and pressure the heck out of TR in passing situations. They are also one of the best pass Ds we’ve faced all year (similar numbers to UND, not as good as a Sac).

I think it all hinges on Rovig. A pick 6 probably loses the game...but if he plays like he did against Davis, that running game is going to lock things down in the 4thquarter.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:22 am

onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:26 pm

Totally bizarre thing to say. The Griz are #5 in the conference against the pass (Cats are #3). Not a big difference there.
Not bizarre at all. Everyone in the world knows the weakness of the griz D is their secondary. That’s not even really questionable. Pretty good line, great linebackers. Secondary prone to give up the play. Whether or not we can take advantage of that remains to be seen.

Offensively we run the ball better than anyone. You guys stop the run better than everyone. Someone has to win this battle?

What’s bizarre is a guy that was “once” a cat fan but is now a fan of the griz. :lol:

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:06 am

I expect it to be close. Looking at the matchups is interesting though.

I see strength against strength weakness against weakness.

Yards per attempt of offense vs defense

MSU run offense #1(5.9) vs um run defense #2(3.3)
MSU pass offense #12(6.5) vs um pass defense #13(7.2)
MSU run defense #5(5.9) vs um run offense #7(4.2)
MSU pass defense #5(6.6) vs um pass offense #4(8.0)

MSU wins every matchup

https://static.bigskyconf.com/custompag ... nfldrs.htm

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.