Hero Sport's Sam Herder at Cat/Griz game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Hero Sport's Sam Herder at Cat/Griz game

Post by Rich K » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 am

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... nking-bzbz
On this episode, Brian McLaughlin and Sam Herder discuss Sam's upcoming trip to his first Brawl of the Wild game when Montana travels to Montana State. The two also talk about how Trey Lance is a legit Walter Payton Award finalist, how the Coach of the Year honor should be voted on and the best turnarounds in FCS history. That, and much more...

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: Hero Sport's Sam Herder at Cat/Griz game

Post by kwcat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Overall a good listen they mention at the one hour mark Montana State
‘s 1983 to 1984 turn around year record. The biggest implications they miss in the seeding for the playoff. If Montana State wins out and each of their opponents go 500 in the last two games will really shake things up

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:44 am

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... ntana-bzbz

Sam: Montana State 21-20

I can't wait to get to Bozeman for this one!

While this game looks to be another coin flip, the safer pick here is probably Montana. The Griz looked like undoubtedly the third-best team in the country with their dominating win against Weber State. Meanwhile, the Bobcats looked solid in a road win against UC Davis, but we're still unsure of if this team is pretty good, good or very good. They just haven't had that marquee win yet. Well, I think they get it on Saturday. The non-football analysis part of me that has covered a lot of FCS football for several years just has my gut telling me MSU is going to win. Life, in the world of trying to predict the FCS playoff field Saturday night, would be a lot easier if Montana wins. And really, Montana is rightfully favored entering this game. But this seems like the kind of final-week-of-the-regular-season curveball the FCS always throws us.

Now, for the actual football side of things ... It's no secret that to beat this team, you sell out to stop the run complemented by a disciplined secondary. Yet the Bobcats are still finding a ton of success rushing the football even when teams know it's coming and rank eighth in the FCS with 259.9 rushing yards per game. Montana's defense is on a higher level than MSU's previous opponents, holding teams to 112.6 rushing yards per game (13th in the FCS). But with MSU being able to get chunks of yards on the ground in so many different ways and with so many different players, I think the Bobcats are going to find just enough success with their rushing attack to win this game. That means it'll take a spirited effort from the defense to slow down one of the best offenses in the FCS. I like MSU's defensive line matchup versus Montana's improved, but still "gettable" offensive line. While it's going to be hard to rattle Dalton Sneed, I think the Bobcats can make him uncomfortable. If the d-line can force him to get the ball out of his hands even quicker than normal and MSU's DBs and LBs can fly to the ball, be fundamentally sound in their tackling and not allow Montana's skilled guys to bust a big play, I see the Bobcats grinding out a win.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:02 pm

Rich K wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:44 am

While this game looks to be another coin flip, the safer pick here is probably Montana. The Griz looked like undoubtedly the third-best team in the country with their dominating win against Weber State. Meanwhile, the Bobcats looked solid in a road win against UC Davis, but we're still unsure of if this team is pretty good, good or very good. They just haven't had that marquee win yet. Well, I think they get it on Saturday. The non-football analysis part of me that has covered a lot of FCS football for several years just has my gut telling me MSU is going to win. Life, in the world of trying to predict the FCS playoff field Saturday night, would be a lot easier if Montana wins. And really, Montana is rightfully favored entering this game. But this seems like the kind of final-week-of-the-regular-season curveball the FCS always throws us.

Now, for the actual football side of things ... It's no secret that to beat this team, you sell out to stop the run complemented by a disciplined secondary. Yet the Bobcats are still finding a ton of success rushing the football even when teams know it's coming and rank eighth in the FCS with 259.9 rushing yards per game. Montana's defense is on a higher level than MSU's previous opponents, holding teams to 112.6 rushing yards per game (13th in the FCS). But with MSU being able to get chunks of yards on the ground in so many different ways and with so many different players, I think the Bobcats are going to find just enough success with their rushing attack to win this game. That means it'll take a spirited effort from the defense to slow down one of the best offenses in the FCS. I like MSU's defensive line matchup versus Montana's improved, but still "gettable" offensive line. While it's going to be hard to rattle Dalton Sneed, I think the Bobcats can make him uncomfortable. If the d-line can force him to get the ball out of his hands even quicker than normal and MSU's DBs and LBs can fly to the ball, be fundamentally sound in their tackling and not allow Montana's skilled guys to bust a big play, I see the Bobcats grinding out a win.
Don’t really care who he picks. He obviously didn’t watch the Weber game. They weren’t dominated. They were submissive.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 pm

That narratives drives me crazy. We'd be absolutely gloating about dominating Weber if it was us. You can downplay it all you want and yes Weber imploded a bit but you're kidding yourself if you think we'd be any less excited than Griz fans are about it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 pm
That narratives drives me crazy. We'd be absolutely gloating about dominating Weber if it was us. You can downplay it all you want and yes Weber imploded a bit but you're kidding yourself if you think we'd be any less excited than Griz fans are about it.
We would be. And Griz fans would be saying the exact same thing! :lol:

The narrative that drives me crazy? There is NO WAY the Cats can be a good team because we haven't played anyone yet. But no one is talking about how the Griz haven't won a single road game over a winning team. And the one winning team they did play on the road crushed them by three scores. :-^

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:37 pm

Rich K wrote:

Sam just set up the Cats to kick 20 "ifs" from the 50 and every single one has to go through

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:56 pm

CelticCat wrote:
The domination was so complete that Weber first was stunned, then lost hope and finally their will - so much for those that say they hadn't beaten anyone of any significance up to that point (they had been showing it to us progressively over the course of the season). I know we have a great defense, but any team that has a play-maker/QB scares me some. My biggest fear in this weeks game though comes from us being prone to being too one-dimensional and the griz being extremely physical on defense.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Rich K wrote:

Yikes, I hope he didn't link this article on Twitter, griz fans will crucify him!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:42 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Speak for yourself. I wouldn’t be gloating about it. I’d be pointing it out to MSU fans that they shouldn’t get too excited. In fact, I was doing just that earlier in the year by telling people if MSU continues to make mistakes it’s gonna come back to bite them. And it finally did. I wasn’t the only one saying this.

I’m not sure what game you were watching, but Weber gave up all 21 points in the first half with two bad or mishandled snaps that gave short fields and one blown coverage TD. It was an implosive performance by Weber.

I’m not saying they’d win if they don’t make those mistakes, but isn’t like they allowed their opponent to drive all over the field on them at will. Look at the drive chart.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 pm

The Weber game has no bearing on this game. It is a rivalry game so you throw all stats and records out the window. The team that limits their mistakes and plays the best will win the game. I'm glad we are at HOME this year. It is going to be ROCKING.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:09 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 pm
The Weber game has no bearing on this game. It is a rivalry game so you throw all stats and records out the window. The team that limits their mistakes and plays the best will win the game. I'm glad we are at HOME this year. It is going to be ROCKING.
Amen!

09griz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 09griz » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:02 pm
Don’t really care who he picks. He obviously didn’t watch the Weber game. They weren’t dominated. They were submissive.
Or were they submissive because they got dominated? :-k

This is gold. Hit me with some more logic Cat fans! :lol:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:28 pm

09griz wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm
iaafan wrote:

Thounds thexual. As Slave would say, Jethus Chriiiist!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

09griz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 09griz » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:28 pm
09griz wrote:
iaafan wrote:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:13 pm

09griz wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:28 pm
09griz wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Well done. I bet Slave would be impressed.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm
Rich K wrote:

Yikes, I hope he didn't link this article on Twitter, griz fans will crucify him!
At least he wasn’t called the c word.

Cat turned Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Cat turned Griz » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 pm

Great minds think a like

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:56 am

Cat turned Griz wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 pm
Great minds think a like
How do you "think a like"? Do you conjure it out of thin air? What do you use it for? Do you introduce it at parties?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:38 am

allcat wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:56 am
Cat turned Griz wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 pm
Great minds think a like
How do you "think a like"? Do you conjure it out of thin air? What do you use it for? Do you introduce it at parties?
:lol: