MSU vs DumB predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU vs DumB predictions

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Weird stuff happens in this game....which makes it even more enjoyable to watch. I think this one will be a dog fight....hoping the Cats can pressure Sneed and pull out the close one 28-21

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 pm

I am 59 years old. Just once between now and the pearly gates I want a game where everything goes wrong for the pinkos and we roll 50-3. Lord knows its happened to us many, many times in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I am THRILLED by a win, any kind of win. Bust JUST ONCE I want us to dismantle them in a laugher.

Is this the year? Not likely. And if we win by one, I'll be dancing in the streets. But I really really want that rout. Just once. Pretty please.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:39 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:06 pm
One thing that could significantly change this game is reinjury to Ifanse or Andersen, or if one or both just isn't right. They've only looked like themselves on offense in flashes since the beginning of the season.

If Andersen is ineffective, that puts more on Rovig. If Ifanse is ineffective, that puts yet more on Rovig. It's hard for me to envision him putting the offense on his back.

That said-- stranger things have happened. And wouldn't that be hilarious.
Don't forget the Travis Jonsen factor, can take it to the house at any time... and Logan Jones.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Htowngriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Htowngriz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:10 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:15 pm
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:58 pm
BadlandsGrizFanAgain wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:42 pm
24-10 Griz....at halftime

Choate starts to panic about Rovigs deer in headlight decision making.....brings Troy Anderson in the rest of the game for some magic, but its too much to overcome.

34-23 Griz BSC champs and #3 seed in Playoffs. Cats drop to #10.
Too late huh..howd that work out last year?
What does last year's game have to do with this one?
This is laughable coming from a griz fan. You all always want to spout off about total record or the 16 year streak. That has zero bearing on this game, at least my comment was recent history and given the players in the game, probably still very relevant.
Yeah, don't think I've ever referenced the streak when predicting the outcome of this game. Great deflection, though.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:04 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:39 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:06 pm
One thing that could significantly change this game is reinjury to Ifanse or Andersen, or if one or both just isn't right. They've only looked like themselves on offense in flashes since the beginning of the season.

If Andersen is ineffective, that puts more on Rovig. If Ifanse is ineffective, that puts yet more on Rovig. It's hard for me to envision him putting the offense on his back.

That said-- stranger things have happened. And wouldn't that be hilarious.
Don't forget the Travis Jonsen factor, can take it to the house at any time... and Logan Jones.
For sure. Those guys can make a big impact and the Cats will need them. But given the quality of opponent, I am hoping for all hands on deck.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm

It's Defense that wins championships, and our D is better than their D! At home, The STREAK continues...no need for analysis! 8)

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:51 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:43 pm
Your Montana State Fighting Bobcats = 29
The West-Bonner-Community-College-of-Dance-and-Fast-Food-Arts = 22

FTMFG!
\:D/

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 pm

DaGriz wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:13 pm
utucats wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:29 pm
It comes down to Rovig. I was encouraged by his play against Davis. He played smart and got rid of some quick passes with the d bearing down on him. That’s what it will take. Our offense is going to run the ball plenty but when Rovig has chances against this weak secondary he has to capitalize.

Our defense is stout and I think we’ll make it real tough and Sneed and Co.
I think it comes down to Rovig too. For the Cats to win I think he has to have a good enough game to keep the Griz defense honest and respect the pass. This is one of the better defenses UM has had in quite a while but have given up big yards in the air at times. I know the Cats are loaded at running back but the Griz LB's are very good as well. I think they will load the box and force Rovig to beat them with his arm. Should be an interesting matchup.

I'm not sure what to think of who wins. I'm not as impressed with the teams the Cats have beaten compared to the Griz and of the games I have watched both teams play I think UM looks more of a balanced team, but when it comes down to games like this, I don't think records or stats or anything else really matters. I think if the Griz lay an egg in the first half like they have done a few times and the Cats build a lead, it will be tough getting back in the game for the Griz, Cats will just control the clock with running. If Griz start out hot, they are hard to stop.

If it's a high scoring game I like the Griz to win, a low scoring game I think favors the Cats. Both teams are headed to the playoffs, I'd really like to see both teams healthy come post season. Go Griz.
This is how I see it as well, if Rovig is 17-25 for 250 and a couple of touchdowns the Cats win this one going away!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 pm
I am 59 years old. Just once between now and the pearly gates I want a game where everything goes wrong for the pinkos and we roll 50-3. Lord knows its happened to us many, many times in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I am THRILLED by a win, any kind of win. Bust JUST ONCE I want us to dismantle them in a laugher.

Is this the year? Not likely. And if we win by one, I'll be dancing in the streets. But I really really want that rout. Just once. Pretty please.
Dude, you're my age! There were lots of routs when we were young :D

go96griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by go96griz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:48 pm

“Dare I say unstoppable” cat run offense - 100
Very Scared Grizzlies - 0

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Our Fighting Bobcats 38
Teddies (as in lingerie, not small bears) 10

The Cats may not be a work of art, but their work is art. Cats rule!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Htowngriz wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Choate starts to panic about Rovigs deer in headlight decision making.....brings Troy Anderson in the rest of the game for some magic, but its too much to overcome.

What does last year's game have to do with this one?
This makes me laugh. A griz fan that is discounting history when all your entire fan base ever does is talking about what happened 20 years ago!?

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:25 am

Both teams will need the bye week as this will be a brutal game in the trench's.
Cats win, hauck cries on national television.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:13 pm
My heart: 28-24 MSU (go ahead touchdown followed by a defensive stand)
My brain: 38-24 UM (UM scores a game clinching touchdown with two minutes left)

So...of course I'll follow my heart on this one!
Yeah, this is about where I am too.

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:09 am

go96griz wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:48 pm
“Dare I say unstoppable” cat run offense - 100
Very Scared Grizzlies - 0
I truly appreciate our fan bases cautiously optimistic approach as opposed the caustically obnoxious approach of the Griz fans.
Cats 31-Griz 17

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:53 am

autocat wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:12 pm
I don't think West Bonner Community College of Academic Excellence quarterback is 100% healthy and it's going to be a factor before the game is over :coffee:
Yeah...he still isnt 100% he isnt really running at all anymore, but is still effective in avoiding sacks with his legs.

He had one longer run against Weber....still does damage from the pocket.

Bigger issue is nobody knows if Sammy Akem will be playing against you guys, hes our best receiver in my opinion....

My guess is that he wont play.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:53 am

I’m not buying the hype from UM’s win over Weber. They scored 21 first half points off huge blunders. And they blew three points by taking a huge 20-yard sack before halftime. I heard Weber was down three starters on defense? Not sure that’s true, can anyone verify.

I credit UM for capitalizing on those plays and I don’t think UM is a bad team that just got lucky or that they wouldn’t have won without that. But those blunders and the lack of starters (if true) are key elements.

The UM score to start the second half was huge.

Getting that lead really put Weber in passing mode and they’re not a good passing team, especially in that kind of environment.

UM scored on two huge pass plays. 79 and 59 yards. MSU hasn’t allowed a play over 33 yards the past four games.

That game was in Missoula, not that home field has been a big factor in Cat-Griz games, but it’s always a factor on the plus side for both MSU and UM in non-Cat-Griz games.

Sneed is banged up and has been reluctant to run since returning. He’s has just three true runs for 26 yards, so he is effective (8.7 per), but is not presenting himself as a threat. He’s been sacked three times to account for the rest of his official rush attempts. Six for 7 yards.

MSU will, of course, play Sneed as if he can run like usual. Sneed lit MSU up last year throwing the ball and he was active running with 15 true rushes for 58 yards. He’s 32-52-2 506 yards and four TDs the past two games. Within that are TD passes of 44, 79 and 59 yards.

It appears Akem isn’t playing. He didn’t have a reception and isn’t listed in the PPR in either game. Sulser hasn’t played in the past two games. Hard to say how big an effect that will be, because Sneed makes them look good. Akem had 6-147-1 last year. Sulser 2-27-1.

MSU sacked Sneed 4 times last year, but I don’t think it will happen again as UM is better along the OL. However, crowd noise could be a factor something Sneed hasn’t experienced in his career at UM. The Oregon crowd was big (49,098), but not especially loud. UM wasn’t penalized for any false starts in the game.

UM is 3-2 on the road this year. Those three wins were all impressive.

MSU has areas that give me pause also. I’m just trying to point out that one win doesn’t define a team.

If MSU is able to run and stop the pass, MSU wins. If not, UM wins. If it’s a mix it’s a tight game.

I think UM will pass the ball effectively, but that MSU won’t give up the long pass plays. I think UM will do well against the run early, but MSU will be in the game and continue to run then find success late in the game.

MSU 34
UM 23

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:02 am

Pretty different teams from last year tho, at least the Griz are.

I see it going this way...the Griz are going to say make Rovig beat us.....I think we will be completely fine giving up 2-3 bombs from Rovig. I would be shocked if anyone on the Griz coaching staff would be ok with allowing the Cats to just pound the ball down our throats like what happened last year.

They will say go do it Rovig lets see what you got...and I personally dont think Rovig has the balls to step up. We all know TA does.

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm
It's Defense that wins championships, and our D is better than their D! At home, The STREAK continues...no need for analysis! 8)
Early in the season I would have agreed...now not so much.

The griz d has been playing pretty phenomenal as of late. Were playing a ton of young guys that are showing talent like we havent had here in a while. They cause a lot of "weird" things to happen to opposing QBs...lots of tipped balls. Gubnner leads the team in INTs.

It will be interesting to see how Rovig handles the chaotic play that our front line generates.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 am

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm
Early in the season I would have agreed...now not so much.

The griz d has been playing pretty phenomenal as of late. Were playing a ton of young guys that are showing talent like we havent had here in a while. They cause a lot of "weird" things to happen to opposing QBs...lots of tipped balls. Gubnner leads the team in INTs.

It will be interesting to see how Rovig handles the chaotic play that our front line generates.
Both teams are improved from last year. Both were 6-4 at this point last year and both teams are better, statistically across the board in nearly every aspect. This includes MSU is actually better passing this year.

I don’t see either team making big adjustments to their typical game plan.