STERK!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: STERK!

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:40 pm

Sterk will be getting more chances now that Amandre is getting more sacks as well as the entire line. If Amandre continues to wreck, and Andersen continues to wreck..then some of those double teams will come off of Bryce and he will eat!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:26 am

How is the position change affecting Sterk’s sack totals, coming off a strong end position as opposed to buck? It seems like buck is where all the big sack totals are put up. Has it been a good trade off? I don’t know — I’m just posing the question.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:26 am
How is the position change affecting Sterk’s sack totals, coming off a strong end position as opposed to buck? It seems like buck is where all the big sack totals are put up. Has it been a good trade off? I don’t know — I’m just posing the question.
Sterk is still playing at a very high level. He’s creating opportunities for others by drawing double teams on some plays. There should be a stat for TF2L (tackles for 2 yards or less) or TFNG (tackle for no gain). If there was I think Sterk would be among the leaders.

Not sure why it was decided that TFL is the standard. Obviously, a tackle for no gain would keep a team from ever getting a first down. Two yards is the cutoff on average for getting a first down per four downs.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:26 am
Sterk is still playing at a very high level. He’s creating opportunities for others by drawing double teams on some plays. There should be a stat for TF2L (tackles for 2 yards or less) or TFNG (tackle for no gain). If there was I think Sterk would be among the leaders.

Not sure why it was decided that TFL is the standard. Obviously, a tackle for no gain would keep a team from ever getting a first down. Two yards is the cutoff on average for getting a first down per four downs.
In advanced NFL statistics, they now call that a run stop. I can't remember the exact numbers but it's something like if you tackle the ball carrier for less than 30% of the yards needed to gain on first down, 50% on second down, 70% on third down, and 100% of yards needed on a 4th down. If you do that, it's considered a run stop. Some people that cover the NFL are starting to use those stats and they can be really useful. it'd be cool if someone started computing that at the FCS level.