Vs. No. Colorado: MSU is not alone

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Vs. No. Colorado: MSU is not alone

Post by iaafan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:08 am

Just going back to 2015 the Bears have been giving teams fits at Nottingham Field.
2015 - lost to #7 EWU 43-41; beat #9 PSU 35-32
2016 - beat NAU 21-18; beat SAC 27-19; beat UM 28-25
2017 - lost to MSU 27-24; beat Idaho St 43-42; beat Poly 42-0
2018 - lost to #17 McNeese 17-14; lost to #16 UCD 49-36; beat NAU 42-14

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Vs. No. Colorado: MSU is not alone

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 am

I don't care is we played this game on the moon. If this Bobcat team is not capable of routing this UNC team, we are just not the team we all hope and think we are. If this Bears team gives us problems, or worse beats us; we shouldn't even mention the playoffs.

If the Cats can't figure out how to go to a place like Greeley and take over the game like they should, we're not close to where we want to be as a program.

Frankly, I don't care about the fields. Or the crowds. History means nothing. This team, this year, should simply own this Bears team, this season.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 am

Think we need to play like our men’s basketball team- relaxed and aggressive. Throttle them with a smile on our face. Need to learn how to win when we are the favorites

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 am
I don't care is we played this game on the moon. If this Bobcat team is not capable of routing this UNC team, we are just not the team we all hope and think we are. If this Bears team gives us problems, or worse beats us; we shouldn't even mention the playoffs.

If the Cats can't figure out how to go to a place like Greeley and take over the game like they should, we're not close to where we want to be as a program.

Frankly, I don't care about the fields. Or the crowds. History means nothing. This team, this year, should simply own this Bears team, this season.
This!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:45 am

I will say this just like I did before the SUU game. If this team shows up, and I mean the whole team, we should win by 30+. This team is a top 5 team when they show up.

Punters are people too!!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:52 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 am
ilovethecats wrote:

This!
+1

No excuses for the Cats to not win big this weekend.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:00 am

ilovethecats wrote:

I disagree. I'll be disappointed if the Bobcats don't go down there and win handily, but I just don't think it NECESSARILY has to mean they can't be a competitive playoff team. Clemson almost lost to Syracuse last year and routed Alabama in the chipper. They did lose to Syracuse the year before, so this isn't a one-off situation. I'm not saying the Cats are Clemson or that struggling against NCU should be expected, I just don't think it automatically means the Bobcats shouldn't be in the playoffs. Now, if the Bobcats do lose, I think it goes without saying that they'd have to win out to make the playoffs. If they lose and they don't win out, I do agree that this team won't be making a playoff run. But let's say they win the next three games, including a close one in Greeley--I don't think we're looking at that four-game finish and saying the Bobcats aren't a really good team.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:47 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:00 am
ilovethecats wrote:

I disagree. I'll be disappointed if the Bobcats don't go down there and win handily, but I just don't think it NECESSARILY has to mean they can't be a competitive playoff team. Clemson almost lost to Syracuse last year and routed Alabama in the chipper. They did lose to Syracuse the year before, so this isn't a one-off situation. I'm not saying the Cats are Clemson or that struggling against NCU should be expected, I just don't think it automatically means the Bobcats shouldn't be in the playoffs. Now, if the Bobcats do lose, I think it goes without saying that they'd have to win out to make the playoffs. If they lose and they don't win out, I do agree that this team won't be making a playoff run. But let's say they win the next three games, including a close one in Greeley--I don't think we're looking at that four-game finish and saying the Bobcats aren't a really good team.
To your Clemson point, we've already lost a few games though. If Clemson had already lost one, barely beat 'Cuse, then lost another 2 games before squeaking by another inferior team, they certainly wouldn't have been in the playoff conversation.

To be clear, I think we're talking about two different things. You are speaking in exacts. Math tells us that if we barely squeak by an awful UNC team, theoretically we could beat Davis, Beat the Griz, sneak in the playoffs, somehow catch fire, and win the whole damn thing. Math is math and if we mathematically make the playoffs you're absolutely correct.

I'm speaking generally. And I'm speaking as to the overall strength of this team. I'm saying if we don't have the goods to beat UNC, if we barely have the goods to squeak by them, even though they are dead last in nearly every category you can imagine on both sides of the ball....then what on earth would make us to think we're much better than that? If we lose in Greeley, I'd fully expect us to lose to Davis as Davis is MUCH better than the bears. And if we lose to Northern Colorado, would you really be confident in beating a pretty dang good Griz team? I know I wouldn't.

My whole point is we're always talking about taking that next step. I know winning is hard. And I know you don't look past any team ever. And I'm confident that our players and coaches don't. But the fact remains that good teams win everywhere. Good teams don't use the excuse that this little field is tough to play on because we struggled there seasons ago. That stuff means nothing. This is a new team. Different than '14, '15, '16, '17, 'and '18. That stuff means nothing. THIS team THIS year should have the goods to go down and win this game convincingly. That was my only point.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:59 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:52 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 am
ilovethecats wrote:

This!
+1

No excuses for the Cats to not win big this weekend.
+2

If you want an excuse...anyone will do!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:06 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:47 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

To your Clemson point, we've already lost a few games though. If Clemson had already lost one, barely beat 'Cuse, then lost another 2 games before squeaking by another inferior team, they certainly wouldn't have been in the playoff conversation.

To be clear, I think we're talking about two different things. You are speaking in exacts. Math tells us that if we barely squeak by an awful UNC team, theoretically we could beat Davis, Beat the Griz, sneak in the playoffs, somehow catch fire, and win the whole damn thing. Math is math and if we mathematically make the playoffs you're absolutely correct.

I'm speaking generally. And I'm speaking as to the overall strength of this team. I'm saying if we don't have the goods to beat UNC, if we barely have the goods to squeak by them, even though they are dead last in nearly every category you can imagine on both sides of the ball....then what on earth would make us to think we're much better than that? If we lose in Greeley, I'd fully expect us to lose to Davis as Davis is MUCH better than the bears. And if we lose to Northern Colorado, would you really be confident in beating a pretty dang good Griz team? I know I wouldn't.

My whole point is we're always talking about taking that next step. I know winning is hard. And I know you don't look past any team ever. And I'm confident that our players and coaches don't. But the fact remains that good teams win everywhere. Good teams don't use the excuse that this little field is tough to play on because we struggled there seasons ago. That stuff means nothing. This is a new team. Different than '14, '15, '16, '17, 'and '18. That stuff means nothing. THIS team THIS year should have the goods to go down and win this game convincingly. That was my only point.
My thoughts exactly. I don't really care if it's a blowout, I expect the outcome of the game to never be in doubt. This team needs to have that mindset and back it up with their play. That's what good teams do. I think they will.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:58 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

I'm not talking about exacts though. I'm saying you MIGHT be right, I'm just also saying a close win doesn't necessarily mean this isn't a playoff team. I think there's a chance the Cats struggle because the Bears catch lightning in a bottle, and if they gut out an ugly win, I don't think it HAS to be an indication that this team isn't cut out for it. It might be an indication that MSU isn't a National Championship contender, but that's not what I was talking about. Maybe we're talking about two different things. The grizzlies have had so many close (lucky?) wins in the midst of great seasons, and those window lickers over the mountain thought the season was over. Next thing you know they're playing in the chipper.

I'm not saying MSU will be in the championship this year--I don't think they're there yet. And to be clear, if the Cats squeak by Northern Colorado and then beat Davis and UM, they're not sneaking into the playoffs. They're getting a bye and possibly a seed. By the end of it, a loss to Sac St and a narrow loss at UND are not AWFUL losses if they're the only ones.

I do believe the Cats will have a convincing win, but I'm not ready to write the season off if it's a close one. I'm just not that black and white, which is probably why we won't agree on this one, and to me that's OK.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:39 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

I'm not talking about exacts though. I'm saying you MIGHT be right, I'm just also saying a close win doesn't necessarily mean this isn't a playoff team. I think there's a chance the Cats struggle because the Bears catch lightning in a bottle, and if they gut out an ugly win, I don't think it HAS to be an indication that this team isn't cut out for it. It might be an indication that MSU isn't a National Championship contender, but that's not what I was talking about. Maybe we're talking about two different things. The grizzlies have had so many close (lucky?) wins in the midst of great seasons, and those window lickers over the mountain thought the season was over. Next thing you know they're playing in the chipper.

I'm not saying MSU will be in the championship this year--I don't think they're there yet. And to be clear, if the Cats squeak by Northern Colorado and then beat Davis and UM, they're not sneaking into the playoffs. They're getting a bye and possibly a seed. By the end of it, a loss to Sac St and a narrow loss at UND are not AWFUL losses if they're the only ones.

I do believe the Cats will have a convincing win, but I'm not ready to write the season off if it's a close one. I'm just not that black and white, which is probably why we won't agree on this one, and to me that's OK.
nah I agree with much of what we're saying. Bad on my part with some of the wording. Yes if we win out we're not "sneaking" into the playoffs. My whole view is if we're not good enough to beat UNC, or JUST good enough to barely beat them, I just don't know that we're a team that's gonna go down and win at Davis and then beat UM a week later.

Guess we'll see. It's all moot anyway because I think this IS a team that is going to go down and roll UNC. \:D/