MBB @ Utah State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB @ Utah State

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:19 am

Great showing! Cats had a chance near the end after taking the lead 66-64 but had 2 consecutive turnovers followed by 2 bad shots which led to a 10-0 run by Utah State.

Frey was incredible! He's in for a huge year.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 am

They had me on the edge of my seat from start to end and when they took the lead late in the second half I was beside myself. I saw so much potential there last night, places where you know when they correct and shore-up they are going to be so much better. After the game I was a little disappointed, when they took that 3 point lead is when I really started thinking we had a chance to win. I wanted the win, I am tickled to death with the first game of the season despite the loss. This team would not back down the entire game and was nice to have a player of Frey's caliber leading this team. After the game, I loved Frey's comments after the game! This morning I want to see them desperately against another D-1. I think it is my subconscious wanting to prove that this was no fluke. Rocky Mountain is up this week end, but what I am really looking forward to is the Tournament in North Carolina that follows. Quality Big Sky or better caliber teams will give us a better sense of where we stand.

Random thoughts

All eligible scholarship players played last night, which would indicate Danny may not be red shirting any players (aside from Xavier Bishop who has to sit out as a transfer). Mid summer Danny had told me he was looking most likely to redshirt one player, outside chance 2 players. Then he told me the story of his freshman year were he was supposed to redshirt but worked himself into the active roster.

Eventually Sprinkle will leave MSU, hopefully it will e to take a head coaching job in the Pac-12 or Big10. Danny wants to prove himself as a coach at the highest level so when he is successful and a good offer comes along he will move up. At that time the MSU AD needs to have Frey on speed dial. Harald Frey is going to be a great coach when he is done playing pro ball.

I was surprised Fernandez was the first of our two freshman big men to leave the bench last night, based from what I have seen from the preseason. After the game and looking at the stats I was sill confused. Fleute looks to be the better big man and his stats prove it out, The only thing I was thinking was that Danny wanted more of a "Doug Hashley" (if you do not know who Doug is shame on you) type forward in early in the game. While being 2-3 inches shorter than Fleute, Fernandez is definitely more of a wide body.

Fleute is going to be a great player for us. He is very skilled and has a scorers mentality. The only question is when!

Losing Harald Frey next year is going to be huge hole, but having Xavier Bishop coming on board will soften the blow. I am not going to tell you Bishop is the second coming of Frey (who I think is the best player in the Big Sky Conference), but he is capable enough to land himself on 1st or 2nd team all Big Sky conference.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:44 am

mslacat wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 am
They had me on the edge of my seat from start to end and when they took the lead late in the second half I was beside myself. I saw so much potential there last night, places where you know when they correct and shore-up they are going to be so much better. After the game I was a little disappointed, when they took that 3 point lead is when I really started thinking we had a chance to win. I wanted the win, I am tickled to death with the first game of the season despite the loss. This team would not back down the entire game and was nice to have a player of Frey's caliber leading this team. After the game, I loved Frey's comments after the game! This morning I want to see them desperately against another D-1. I think it is my subconscious wanting to prove that this was no fluke. Rocky Mountain is up this week end, but what I am really looking forward to is the Tournament in North Carolina that follows. Quality Big Sky or better caliber teams will give us a better sense of where we stand.

Random thoughts

All eligible scholarship players played last night, which would indicate Danny may not be red shirting any players (aside from Xavier Bishop who has to sit out as a transfer). Mid summer Danny had told me he was looking most likely to redshirt one player, outside chance 2 players. Then he told me the story of his freshman year were he was supposed to redshirt but worked himself into the active roster.

Eventually Sprinkle will leave MSU, hopefully it will e to take a head coaching job in the Pac-12 or Big10. Danny wants to prove himself as a coach at the highest level so when he is successful and a good offer comes along he will move up. At that time the MSU AD needs to have Frey on speed dial. Harald Frey is going to be a great coach when he is done playing pro ball.

I was surprised Fernandez was the first of our two freshman big men to leave the bench last night, based from what I have seen from the preseason. After the game and looking at the stats I was sill confused. Fleute looks to be the better big man and his stats prove it out, The only thing I was thinking was that Danny wanted more of a "Doug Hashley" (if you do not know who Doug is shame on you) type forward in early in the game. While being 2-3 inches shorter than Fleute, Fernandez is definitely more of a wide body.

Fleute is going to be a great player for us. He is very skilled and has a scorers mentality. The only question is when!

Losing Harald Frey next year is going to be huge hole, but having Xavier Bishop coming on board will soften the blow. I am not going to tell you Bishop is the second coming of Frey (who I think is the best player in the Big Sky Conference), but he is capable enough to land himself on 1st or 2nd team all Big Sky conference.
I was very pleased with the fight and effort displayed by our BOBCATS. What a player Harold Frey is, you won't see pouting and attitude out of our star player this year and that will be refreshing. I think this is a really good coaching staff that Danny has put together. Young, smart, disciplined coaches who relate to players.

I too thought we would see Fleute before Fernandez. Fernandez played like a Freshman last night, but I'm sure we will see varying lineups early. Fleute had better aggression. And yes I do know who Doug Hashley is, one of my childhood heroes for sure. It would be nice to have a Doug Hashley version on this team.

I think we are going to have Danny for a while. He has a vision and is on a mission. We are heading in the right direction!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 am

For those who actually got to watch the game, do we feel like it was indicative of what to expect this year or maybe just catching USU off-guard in the first game?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:01 am

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 am

I didn't watch the game, I was only able to look at the box score. The first thing I checked was free throws made, which was a huge sore spot for me when Fish was the coach. Of all the things a team can do to improve, making more free throws seems to be the thing that requires the least amount of effort that has an immediate, measurable impact.

Utah State made 19 more free throws than we did. In addition, we only hit 62%. If we can get our free throws made higher, I think we win a lot of close game that in the past ended up as losses.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:12 am

Was totally impressed with the Bobcats last night. If they continue to play with the intensity they showed last night, they can hang with anyone. It is impressive what Danny has done in putting together a new cast and molding them into a cohesive team. He has been preaching defense and it showed last night. That was the best defense I have seen a Cat team play in many years. On offense, their ball movement and spacing was great. We finally have size and guys that can put the ball in the hoop. I agree, Harold Frey may be one of the best point guards in the Country. Years ago, I had the opportunity to attend many Big East tournaments. I saw some really outstanding point guards like Mark Jackson and Pearl Washington. Harold Frey is at their level. Brian Fish to his credit, did not leave the cupboard empty. The jr. college guys he recruited are a huge addition. This was a great start. I am excited for the Danny Sprinkle era!

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am

After listening to Danny several times, I believe that what we saw last night is what he envisions as a coach. He has stated before, he wants shooters who can hit the three ball and that may take some time to develop. Harry is fantastic and you can see leads the other players. That kind of leadership is vital.

Granted it is early, but intense defense, blocking out, rebounding, and up tempo offense is where we are heading. We were in it right to the end and I agree free throws were a difference maker. But like the football team, there was no quit and no head hanging. It was a great start.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am

I agree it was a solid outing. My biggest question is who else will score other than Frey? We can’t count on him to score half our points every night. Hopefully we can have some offensive balance.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:46 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 am
For those who actually got to watch the game, do we feel like it was indicative of what to expect this year or maybe just catching USU off-guard in the first game?
That is exactly why I am dying to see how we do against a few more D-1 teams. This is pretty encouraging first step, but we need a bigger sample size.

Something else to keep in mind, there is no book on how a Danny Sprinkle team plays. Coaches really can not prep for him right now. This the case in the pre-conference a little bit and even more once league play begins. The new coach does a little better than expected the first half of the season and then the league coach figure him out and the second time around the new coach starts taking his lumps.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 am

I think we can all agree that Brian Fish left the program in a lot better shape than when he took it over.
Jubrile Belo might be the most impactful center we've had since Quadre Lollis. Belo was a Fish signee. Credit to Sprinkle for retaining coach Haslem-who I assume was Belo's primary recruiter. Paulo was also signed under the Fish regime. That staff-which is mostly the current staff except for Fish, did a good on the recruiting front.

I kept waiting for USU to blow it open, but we kept hanging around. Then all of sudden we're ahead! and clock is ticking down. It kinda felt like that football game at Colorado all those many years ago. But we got stuck on 66. Belo and Paulo missed their free throws, Frey had that layup go in-and-out. And the USU kid with the headband was a stone cold assassin with that three inside the last minute. It just wasn't mean't to be. But there's a lot of hope after that effort. Lets hope it was not a fluke.

Paulo is a really unique player, as is Adamu. Both made some bad decisions at key times, but they add a level athleticism and skill we haven't had. Adamu can blow by anybody, but he has to finish better. Paulo, Adamu, and Belo will get to the line a ton if they want-but they have to make their free throws or it's just like a turnover.

Fernandez was the most impactful freshman last night. Sure he tossed up the ill advised airball, but he played great defense and he's got the base to be immovable inside on rebounds. His box outs were beautiful. If he can focus on defense and rebounding and leave the scoring for another time he could get some big minutes. You can tell both Fernandez and Fleute are used to playing against older, bigger players. They didn't seem to be least bit intimidated. Fleute's impact was late, but he was very effective...and he made his free throws.

WARNING-serious stereotype alert: I thought it was kinda funny-the two most pasty white guys you'll ever see were by far the best players on the floor. Frey and Merrill should team up and hustle the playgrounds in NYC and LA like in the movie White Men Can't Jump. They'd make a killing.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:19 am

mslacat wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:46 am
technoCat wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 am
That is exactly why I am dying to see how we do against a few more D-1 teams. This is pretty encouraging first step, but we need a bigger sample size.

Something else to keep in mind, there is no book on how a Danny Sprinkle team plays. Coaches really can not prep for him right now. This the case in the pre-conference a little bit and even more once league play begins. The new coach does a little better than expected the first half of the season and then the league coach figure him out and the second time around the new coach starts taking his lumps.
This was my thought as well, and I expected USU to shut us down in the 2nd half as they made adjustments but that didn't really happen. But you are right as more and more tape gets out on a team with a new head coach and pretty much a whole new roster, teams will adjust.

Regardless that was the most excited I've been watching a Bobcat game in a while and I hope the excitement rolls forward!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 am

You can watch a full replay here in case you missed it. Just scroll down a bit, should see it.

https://themw.com/watch/?id=6100901262001

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:46 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am
I agree it was a solid outing. My biggest question is who else will score other than Frey? We can’t count on him to score half our points every night. Hopefully we can have some offensive balance.
Belo had some great moments and USU has a ton of size so he was giving up 5 to 6 inches to their big men. He picked up a technical that in my mind was really ticky tack. He had a emphatic dunk that if it happens in a Duke or Kentucky game it wouldn't get whistled for hanging on the rim. They just weren't ready for that kinda flush in this game. He was plagued by foul trouble and that limited his minutes. He wont face a front line like USU in the BSC so I see him as a force down low for us.

Adamu is very athletic and did a great job of limiting Merrill for large portions of the game. He also can get to the rim and is a threat if the game opens up. Last night was very half court.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

I watched this game on Root, and I have to say I was rather shocked. I say that because at the scrimmage I was dismayed by the poor shooting. I also took note at just how low key Sprinkle is.

Well, last night answered all my questions. I don't care how good the guys can shoot (Frey obviously can), as long as they play this hard.
Especially on defense.

The home crowd at Utah State was incredible. Raucous the entire game, especially the student body. Our guys didn't get rattled, other than
the terrible free throw shooting. Wouldn't it be great if the students at MSU could provide a similar home court advantage.

This team needs our support. It's only one game, but I have to think Sprinkle may just have what it takes.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Catlady wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 am
Great game! I hate losing, but love when our team competes! I was very impressed with Belo! Struggle with the shot selection of Fernandez....... saw some hero ball from him! I think Paulo, Belo and Fleute have huge futures in the program!
I think Fernandez also has a future here. Good rebounder and adequate defender. Shot selection...

But at least these kids are not afraid to pull the trigger. Borja would have been Brian's whipping boy this year for sure!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:21 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 pm
Catlady wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 am
Great game! I hate losing, but love when our team competes! I was very impressed with Belo! Struggle with the shot selection of Fernandez....... saw some hero ball from him! I think Paulo, Belo and Fleute have huge futures in the program!
I think Fernandez also has a future here. Good rebounder and adequate defender. Shot selection...

But at least these kids are not afraid to pull the trigger. Borja would have been Brian's whipping boy this year for sure!!
And Harald WAS the best player on the floor, but it was close :) that Merritt kid won the game for them, again.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:22 pm

The defensive rotation was 300 times better this year than I have seen in the last 10+ years at MSU. Not only did guys know when to rotate they did it aggressively with their hands up, it was refreshing to see!

We make our free throws down the stretch and do not get called for ticky-tack reach in fouls late when they are in double bonus and we get away with a win.

I was really impressed with Paulo, he has a quick release and a smooth shot. He had a couple of transition layups that were BEAUTIFUL. I was worried about who would score when Frey left the court but Sprinkle did a good job of rotating the two and I am confident that Mychael can score the ball when Harry is resting.

Adamu impressed me on the defensive side of the ball, he is going to frustrate the hell out of some BSC guards. He struggled offensively last night a little bit, but I think that game will be an outlier, he can finish at the rim and doesn't have a bad shot. I could not believe he missed that breakaway dunk, the kid led (or top 3 at least) all of JUCOs last year in transition offensive efficiency, scoring points or getting to the free-throw line at like 75% of the time!!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Cledus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 am
I didn't watch the game, I was only able to look at the box score. The first thing I checked was free throws made, which was a huge sore spot for me when Fish was the coach. Of all the things a team can do to improve, making more free throws seems to be the thing that requires the least amount of effort that has an immediate, measurable impact.

Utah State made 19 more free throws than we did. In addition, we only hit 62%. If we can get our free throws made higher, I think we win a lot of close game that in the past ended up as losses.
The refs were atrocious in the last 8 minutes of the game, if a bobcat player so much as touched a Utah State player they called a foul. The refs called a completely different game in the second half versus the first half, which drives me nuts. I don't understand why they do that, seems to happen all the time in college basketball.

If your left, you aren’t right.