Officials/announcer

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Tully
BobcatNation Redshirt

Officials/announcer

Post by Tully » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:00 am

just an observation, but it seems to me that the officials here in the BSC are flag happy/have itchy fingers that can't wait to throw a flag. Down at the Colorado State game this wasn't the case, and if you watch other I-AA games around the country it dosn't seem that they throw as many.

on another note, who else notcied that the announcer this weekend was a different voice than has been coming over the PA for the past several years. wasn't exactly mr. excitement, but was certainly an improvement.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:04 am

Let's talk about the games where Big Sky refs excelled - it will be a much, much shorter post...

GO CATS GO!!!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Officials/announcer

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:55 am

Tully wrote:just an observation, but it seems to me that the officials here in the BSC are flag happy/have itchy fingers that can't wait to throw a flag. Down at the Colorado State game this wasn't the case, and if you watch other I-AA games around the country it dosn't seem that they throw as many.

on another note, who else notcied that the announcer this weekend was a different voice than has been coming over the PA for the past several years. wasn't exactly mr. excitement, but was certainly an improvement.
He sounded like Dean Alexander? Was that him over the PA? Sure sounded like him.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:57 am

Several people in the section I sat in made the same comment. It sounded like him but I don't know. Should have walked up and asked I guess.

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:06 am

I thought that it sounded like Dean as well. I think he has the perfect P.A. voice... I don't like P.A. guys that freak out on the mike.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:31 am

It couldn't have been Dean....the guy mispronounced Mollohan's name three times and a few others. Iwas wondering where he came form because it wasn't someone who was close to Bobcat Football even if the quality was better.

2024 Resume dominance

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:58 am

I too commented that I thought it sounded like Dean. Missed the mispronounced names though. Dean is part of the morning show and the noon sports show on 1090 KBOZ now, just started last week. Good to hear him on there and would be cool if he was doing the PA.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

HeHateGriz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HeHateGriz » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:53 pm

Mark Allen

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:23 pm

Dean is back working for Reier Broadcasting.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:25 pm

I THINK IT WAS TERRY MICHEALS(SP?)

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:28 pm

It sounded like Mark Allen to me-he had the morning show on one of the country stations a while back.

I think the other guy is Jason Walker-he did play-by-play for the women's basketball team before Clear Channel took over.

At least this week they kept us up to date on the griz score. With the other guy we never hear the griz score if they're winning. To me that's bad form-looks petty. But how about giving us a few other scores from around the country. How hard could that be-in between saying Firrrrrrst dowwwwwn!

blackmagic
New Recruit

Post by blackmagic » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:53 pm

The PA guy at Bobcat Stadium is horrible. How hard is it to give a run down of all the BIG 1-A games that are pretty much over by the time a Bobcat game starts? Or the other 1-AA games at least in the top 25?

And the That's another first down.....................

That needs to go, very high schoolish, IMO.

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:15 pm

I like the "first down bobcats." What I would like to hear is the 13,000 people get more into the game. I think that the PA guy needs to do more to get the crowd to make noise. In Idaho State the guy always anounced that it was third down and the crowd seemed to respond by making alot of noise.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:13 pm

The PA guy at Bobcat Stadium is horrible. How hard is it to give a run down of all the BIG 1-A games that are pretty much over by the time a Bobcat game starts? Or the other 1-AA games at least in the top 25?

And the That's another first down.....................

That needs to go, very high schoolish, IMO.
One thing that you have to realize about the PA announcer is that basically everything he says is scripted. Everthing that he does (or doesn't do) is determined by the athletic department...including the Firrrrst Dowwwnn.....as well as giving Griz scores and other scores. If you want them to give the score, then contact someone within the department and request it.

Tully
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Tully » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:52 pm

Ok this is a bit silly to keep brining this up but...
there is a time for thanking our corporate sponsors and 00:01:54 left in regulation isn't one of them. hey, I appreciate the recognition for our corp. I have been sitting in the same corporate seats for 15 years and love em, but i would rather have some one up their that can keep with the flow of the game and knows how to keep the crowd in it. don't talk over the music. get some new music for that matter.
And how about working on the timing.
Minor annoyance, and don't know where else to vent it...

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:04 pm

Tully wrote:Ok this is a bit silly to keep brining this up but...
there is a time for thanking our corporate sponsors and 00:01:54 left in regulation isn't one of them. hey, I appreciate the recognition for our corp. I have been sitting in the same corporate seats for 15 years and love em, but i would rather have some one up their that can keep with the flow of the game and knows how to keep the crowd in it. don't talk over the music. get some new music for that matter.
And how about working on the timing.
Minor annoyance, and don't know where else to vent it...
And another thing - I hate it when you look up to the big screen for a replay and they don't show it because they're showing a F&%^$*% add!
Last edited by catatac on Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:06 pm

I wonder what the problem is with the PA guy? He still can't pronounce Mollohan! He called him Mollock at least once on Saturday. He called Cooper, Beau Clark etc. Where is this guy from anyhow?
Last edited by Helcat72 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:52 pm

His name is Mark Allen, and he's been around the bozeman area for quite a while. The guy who started the season (Jason Walker) apparently just took a higher paying job in the Denver area.

As for the adds and the music, all of that goes through the athletic department, and they pretty much have total control on when/what music played and when the announcer talks, and what he says.

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:24 pm

The fact that the guy couldn't pronounce Ryan Fuqua shows he needs to be fired. Granted, I'm an amateur football fan, but Fuqua has been starting for three years now, and anyone who follows the BSC should know that.
blackmagic wrote: The PA guy at Bobcat Stadium is horrible. How hard is it to give a run down of all the BIG 1-A games that are pretty much over by the time a Bobcat game starts? Or the other 1-AA games at least in the top 25?
I agree.
BelgradeBobcat wrote:At least this week they kept us up to date on the griz score. With the other guy we never hear the griz score if they're winning. To me that's bad form-looks petty. \
They didn't announce the Griz score after the Griz took the halftime lead. They showed it, but didn't announce. The fact is, I have always felt the staff have been petty toward the Griz. When I came down in 2003 for the BSC championship basketball game, my friends an I got nothing but grief from the staff at Brick Breeden. Likewise, I have a friend in the UM marching band, who reported the same thing when they would come down for the b-ball games. It's one thing for fans to do their thing (although the fans were certainly classy at that game), but a lot of what the staff does toward the Griz is extremely unprofessional. I'm not saying that the folks in Missoula are innocent in this matter (I honestly don't know), but it is unprofessional regardless of where it occurs.
Of course, I can tell you all stories about how Duck fans (and representatives) get treated in Seattle. So, I have heard far worse.

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:30 pm

Apparently, according to Dan Davies, I believe, Mr. Fuqua decided that his name is now pronounced "foo-quay". Atterbury, Dean Alexander and the PA announcer all used that pronunciation. I name like that probably made the kid pretty tough from grade school on; I guess he just can't settle on a pronunciation.