MBB vs Yellowstone Christian

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

MBB vs Yellowstone Christian

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Bobcats get the comeback win (we trailed 2-0) 94-43 over YCC from Billings.
Caleb Bellach led all scorers with 19! Whilst Harald Frey was our low scorer at 4 points. As Brian Priebe said in the post-game show-that will not happen again this season. Frey facilitated when he was in. He didn't have to look for his own offense. He's a coach on the floor.
It was fun. The players played loose and free. That's sometimes good and sometimes bad, but they were having fun. It's different than last season.
Our starting lineup was Frey (Oslo), Adamu and Belo (London), Paulo (Toronto), and Kirby ('Merican). How cool is that!
Ricketts was out with a strained calf. Guliford was dressed but didn't play-not sure what's up-maybe injured or ill?
For a long while we had four freshmen going-Bellach, Fleute, Fernandez, and Hobbs. They're good looking young players-each of them. I hope we see them all out there when they're seniors. They could be really good.
It's going to be a very interesting season. I hope we can make some noise in Boise in March.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs Yellowstone Christian

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:46 pm

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:18 am

Yellowstone Christian? Never heard of it. What division is that?

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:02 am

It was great to see the guys play under Sprinkle. Energy and enthusiasm fed excellent player movement on offense creating open shots and on defense great communications and toughness. Great start but lots of room for growth. Sets up interesting match with Utah State.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Team10

Post by Team10 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:24 am

I wouldn't get too excited about a victory here. MT Tech played them last year and whooped em 90s to 20s. Yellowstone Christian is in Billings according to google. Can't imagine they have any scholarship and I would be willing to bet that a few of the top A and AA schools in MT would be able to keep pace with them and/or beat them. However, the team starts the year with a W and that is fine with me.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:25 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:18 am
I think they're Division None

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... stitutions

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:30 am

Sprinkle said in the pre-game show that they scrimmaged MSU-Billings. Anybody know how that went? Must have been interesting for coach Durham to coach against Danny Sprinkle.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:26 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:25 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:18 am
I think they're Division None

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... stitutions
They are part of the NCCAA National Christian College Athletic Association. This is their schedule:
http://www.gocenturions.com/schedule.asp?sportID=3

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:44 am

This is the kind of team you want to play in an exhibition. Tired of scrimmaging against each other and just need some other bodies that you haven't seen before.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:12 am

I had fun last night at the game, it has been awhile since I have been able to say that. Yellowstone Christian plays in the Christian League. When I looked them up last week they only had 8 players listed, on their roster none over 6-6. They showed up with about 12 including players 6-11, 6-9 and 6-7. I hear that they do have some-type of scholarship system but not sure about Yellowstone specifically. I have to agree with a lot that has been said above, but the following are miscellaneous thoughts on the game/players

Redshirts: prior to the game I was told redshirt decisions would not be made until Monday, and all would play tonight except the transfers and Ricketts. As it turned out Guiliford also sat out nursing a a ankle sprain (something he has been dealing with for the past 3 years. <next part purely my opinion> Of our 13 scholarship players Bishop will need to sit out as a transfer player giving us 12 scholarship players. I think the coaches are looking to possibly redshirt one more player. Before the season my thoughts were Hobbs and Bellach were prime candidates. After the Blue gold scrimmage I added Fernandez to that list. After last night's game I took Bellach off that list (duh). Out of the box idea that came to me on the 3 hour drive home. What about Guiliford? When Danny was an assistant under Huse he convinced him to redshirt Eric Rush despite playing significant time as a true freshman. Eric was a huge athlete but Sprinkle want to retool somethings about his game. I see similarities.

Amin Adamu: Little disappointed in what I saw. I was expecting him to be a scoring threat shooting and driving to the hoop and he did not seem to be looking to score last night. Better ball skills than what I was expecting.

Mychael Paulo Surprised me quite a bit. He is very good at create his own scoring opportunities without the help of screens or teammate. He is a better perimeter shooter than I thought and effortlessly drives for good shots. Real curious to see if he can do this against D-1 players.

Finn Fleute: This guy is a SKILLED big man. he can dunk/lay-in, shoot a short jumper, has a nice baby hook in the paint or pop out and hit the three. He looked a little uncomfortable out there to begin the game. Quite a few shots raddled in and raddled out, but he got better and better as the game went on. he has got the size (6-9 235lb) but could still use more time in the weight room. I think he is a guy who is just going to get better and better as the season goes on. He reminds me of a Derek Selvig, but bigger and and more aggressive.

Harald Frey: He was not looking to score but run the team and get other people in the position to score. One thing that I noticed, though he gets better and better each year feeding the post. His passes and bounce passes are put so that only the player he passing to has the opportunity to get the ball. Additionally get ready for Alley-oop fest this season. He threw 3-4 great looking alley-oops to Kirby, Bello and Adamu. Bello and Adamu still need to learn how to go and get them.

Caleb Bellach OK a lot has been talked about, but her are two take away I have. He has a very quick release on his shot. Quicker than Hall and most Big Sky players. That allows him to get his shot off despite having defender in place. Give him just a little bit of space and he can get his shot off. He has that characteristic that Bobcat great Ferch brothers and Sprinkle (among others) in that no one has told him he is a freshman. If he has a shot he is talking it and he knows where his scoring opportunists are.

3-point shot/range: The 3 point line distance was increased this year to international distance of 22'-1 3/4" or 16" farther out than last year. This is going to take some adjusting to by, a lot of players in the NCAA. Many players are going to be taking 3 points shots farther out that what they are really used to. This though is not going to mean a lot for Foreign players like Frey, Adamu, Paulo and Fleute who have been playing with this distance their whole life. Look for the overall NCAA 3 point percentage to take a decent hit this year, but slowly creep back up over the next 4-6 years as shooters adjust and are brought up with the new distances.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:35 pm

Great summary mslacat! Just a few other observations. I thought Borja Fernandez did not look great at the scrimmage a week ago, but he looked much better last night. He is built like a truck at 6'-7", 245 pounds, but he really surprised me with his quickness and ball handling. A few times he grabbed a rebound and then just took off dribbling full court. He may still be a redshirt candidate, but after last night I am thinking not. Both Fernandez and Fluete need to keep working, but I think both have a lot of potential. Along with Belo who is only a sophomore, our frontcourt may be a year or so away, but the future looks bright.

The only reason I think Guilford may not redshirt over Hobbs and Bellach is defense. Just based on last year and the scrimmage last week, I think Guilford brings an element to defense that may be needed. I think both Hobbs and Bellach (along with Ricketts) will struggle some on defense against D1 players. Guilford is quick and long, plus looks much stronger this year than last. he is still not a polished offensive player, but we probably need his defense at times.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:20 am

mslacat wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:12 am
I had fun last night at the game, it has been awhile since I have been able to say that. Yellowstone Christian plays in the Christian League. When I looked them up last week they only had 8 players listed, on their roster none over 6-6. They showed up with about 12 including players 6-11, 6-9 and 6-7. I hear that they do have some-type of scholarship system but not sure about Yellowstone specifically. I have to agree with a lot that has been said above, but the following are miscellaneous thoughts on the game/players

Redshirts: prior to the game I was told redshirt decisions would not be made until Monday, and all would play tonight except the transfers and Ricketts. As it turned out Guiliford also sat out nursing a a ankle sprain (something he has been dealing with for the past 3 years. <next part purely my opinion> Of our 13 scholarship players Bishop will need to sit out as a transfer player giving us 12 scholarship players. I think the coaches are looking to possibly redshirt one more player. Before the season my thoughts were Hobbs and Bellach were prime candidates. After the Blue gold scrimmage I added Fernandez to that list. After last night's game I took Bellach off that list (duh). Out of the box idea that came to me on the 3 hour drive home. What about Guiliford? When Danny was an assistant under Huse he convinced him to redshirt Eric Rush despite playing significant time as a true freshman. Eric was a huge athlete but Sprinkle want to retool somethings about his game. I see similarities.

Amin Adamu: Little disappointed in what I saw. I was expecting him to be a scoring threat shooting and driving to the hoop and he did not seem to be looking to score last night. Better ball skills than what I was expecting.

Mychael Paulo Surprised me quite a bit. He is very good at create his own scoring opportunities without the help of screens or teammate. He is a better perimeter shooter than I thought and effortlessly drives for good shots. Real curious to see if he can do this against D-1 players.

Finn Fleute: This guy is a SKILLED big man. he can dunk/lay-in, shoot a short jumper, has a nice baby hook in the paint or pop out and hit the three. He looked a little uncomfortable out there to begin the game. Quite a few shots raddled in and raddled out, but he got better and better as the game went on. he has got the size (6-9 235lb) but could still use more time in the weight room. I think he is a guy who is just going to get better and better as the season goes on. He reminds me of a Derek Selvig, but bigger and and more aggressive.

Harald Frey: He was not looking to score but run the team and get other people in the position to score. One thing that I noticed, though he gets better and better each year feeding the post. His passes and bounce passes are put so that only the player he passing to has the opportunity to get the ball. Additionally get ready for Alley-oop fest this season. He threw 3-4 great looking alley-oops to Kirby, Bello and Adamu. Bello and Adamu still need to learn how to go and get them.

Caleb Bellach OK a lot has been talked about, but her are two take away I have. He has a very quick release on his shot. Quicker than Hall and most Big Sky players. That allows him to get his shot off despite having defender in place. Give him just a little bit of space and he can get his shot off. He has that characteristic that Bobcat great Ferch brothers and Sprinkle (among others) in that no one has told him he is a freshman. If he has a shot he is talking it and he knows where his scoring opportunists are.

3-point shot/range: The 3 point line distance was increased this year to international distance of 22'-1 3/4" or 16" farther out than last year. This is going to take some adjusting to by, a lot of players in the NCAA. Many players are going to be taking 3 points shots farther out that what they are really used to. This though is not going to mean a lot for Foreign players like Frey, Adamu, Paulo and Fleute who have been playing with this distance their whole life. Look for the overall NCAA 3 point percentage to take a decent hit this year, but slowly creep back up over the next 4-6 years as shooters adjust and are brought up with the new distances.
I agree with most of everything, but I wasn't that impressed with Finn as you were. I saw his two hook shots, but his other play looked like a guy with size who needs to learn some more fundamentals as he was always turned the wrong way when playing defense and alot of time had his back to the ball. He is definitely a project. I was more impressed Fernandez as he looks like a guy with some ball skillz. I think he will need to firm up and get in better shape down the road, but he looked like a guy with some major upside. Also Bello reminded me a little of Quadre Lollis in size and ability. Now those are big shoes to fill in, but clearly looks like an all big sky player. Adamu I was thinking of more of a scorer and slasher with those hops. Kinda reminds me of Joe M. especially with those hops and hopefully can put that athleticism to work. Bellach looked good. I got to play against him a little this year at some open gym and the kid is quick, but i wouldn't put him up there with the Ferch boys quite yet. Those are some big shoes. I hope and would love to see it though. The other guy who was a great surprise was Paulo who looked like a scorer with some wheels. Now I can't remember if he can play this year or if he has to sit too? Anyways they looked like they were having fun out there and I am still a believer in Zeke as being a break out player. The kid needs to let the game come to him as he tries so hard that I think he is putting too much pressure on himself and it takes away from the great defensive player I think he can be. It was also nice to see him hit from deep too as he could pull a bigger guy out on defense and make him commit and then go to the hole. Great preseason game for them to get going and hope they can put something respectable against Utah State. Great Job Danny

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:15 am

Good thoughts, Paoli is eligible this year.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:28 am

https://billingsgazette.com/news/local/ ... op-story-1

Some YCC news in case anyone is curious about them. I wonder if they aspire to be in the Frontier Conference someday?

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:48 pm

mslacat wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:12 am

On Paulo, other thing I noticed, he glides the floor....may have the quickest feet....and I like this guy’s defensive hustle. He may be our best defender man-on-man. Will see against tougher opponents.

I liked that we seemed to have plays that actually try to get the ball underneath to the big guys! Maybe because we actually have big guys. Kirby continues to get stronger. Wished he had another 20 lbs. on him. Belo looks like he can be strong underneath. I agree with other posters that I saw more work needed by Finn and Borja...but agree there is potential to work with....certainly more optomistic on this crew than Last year.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:52 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:35 pm
Great summary mslacat! Just a few other observations. I thought Borja Fernandez did not look great at the scrimmage a week ago, but he looked much better last night. He is built like a truck at 6'-7", 245 pounds, but he really surprised me with his quickness and ball handling. A few times he grabbed a rebound and then just took off dribbling full court. He may still be a redshirt candidate, but after last night I am thinking not. Both Fernandez and Fluete need to keep working, but I think both have a lot of potential. Along with Belo who is only a sophomore, our frontcourt may be a year or so away, but the future looks bright.

The only reason I think Guilford may not redshirt over Hobbs and Bellach is defense. Just based on last year and the scrimmage last week, I think Guilford brings an element to defense that may be needed. I think both Hobbs and Bellach (along with Ricketts) will struggle some on defense against D1 players. Guilford is quick and long, plus looks much stronger this year than last. he is still not a polished offensive player, but we probably need his defense at times.
Finn needs to bulk up and Borja needs to slim down, but I agree with the assessment.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz