Scrimmage tonight

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Scrimmage tonight

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:59 am

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Scrimmage tonight

Post by mslacat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:09 am

Car gassed up and ready to go.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Any chance it will be streamed?

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:03 pm
Any chance it will be streamed?
You beat me to it.. I was going to suggest it should be on YouTube live or something. If I lived 100 miles closer I would be there. I remember asking for some summer practice video after I saw UCLA had some. People responded here that I was crazy to want to see such a thing. That was pre-Fish... now, I think there is actually a fan base that would like stuff like that. I've been glad to see more video clips and pics under Sprinkles helm. So, I join in asking for more events like this to be available, heck it don't even have to be live. :D

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Observations after the men's scrimmage.
1. Playing relaxed and playing fast.
2. Coach and player interaction very good. Adult to adult and bidirectional.
3. Adamo is skilled and fun to watch.
4. Belo is the real deal. Solid on both ends.
5. Kelvin struggled but great effort.
6. Quinlan has matured and is stronger and more confident. Could have a breakout year.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Women's scrimmage: At last year's scrimmage Fallyn Freije played on the scout team and looked like one of our best players. This season, there's no doubt she is our best player. I think she even won three point contest. With a lot of returning talent and the addition of Freije things look really promising to me. The freshmen we have, especially Madison Jackson, Kola Bad Bear, and Darian White look to be extremely talented. Darian White is going to play a ton I think. Van Sickle, Mocchi, and Stumne weren't suited up-fortunately I didn't see any casts or braces, or crutches so I hope it's nothing big.

The men's team-hard to tell-it was kind of sloppy as scrimmages usually are. Sprinkle's coaching style compared to Fish's is night and day. Things were light and the players seemed really loose. Nobody got yelled at for an ill advised pass or a bad shot. Whether that gets us more wins remains to be seen. Amin Adamu really stood out to me. Very athletic, and very quick-for sure a starter. I liked Finn Fleute as well-good size and skill. Jubrile Belo really mixed it up inside. He's a good get.

Great crowd at the scrimmage, but no food! No concessions-not even a dang food truck. Missed opportunity there.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Sorry, Kirby not Kelvin.
- Fleute displayed good athleticism and made plays on both O and D.
- Borja and Bellach could benefit from a red shirt year.
- Bishop is pure energy and occasionally under control.
- Hobbs can really shoot.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:25 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 pm
Women's scrimmage: At last year's scrimmage Fallyn Freije played on the scout team and looked like one of our best players. This season, there's no doubt she is our best player. I think she even won three point contest. With a lot of returning talent and the addition of Freije things look really promising to me. The freshmen we have, especially Madison Jackson, Kola Bad Bear, and Darian White look to be extremely talented. Darian White is going to play a ton I think. Van Sickle, Mocchi, and Stumne weren't suited up-fortunately I didn't see any casts or braces, or crutches so I hope it's nothing big.

The men's team-hard to tell-it was kind of sloppy as scrimmages usually are. Sprinkle's coaching style compared to Fish's is night and day. Things were light and the players seemed really loose. Nobody got yelled at for an ill advised pass or a bad shot. Whether that gets us more wins remains to be seen. Amin Adamu really stood out to me. Very athletic, and very quick-for sure a starter. I liked Finn Fleute as well-good size and skill. Jubrile Belo really mixed it up inside. He's a good get.

Great crowd at the scrimmage, but no food! No concessions-not even a dang food truck. Missed opportunity there.
On the women’s side, I think we have some very good returning seniors, but Fallyn Freire really adds another level of skill and fight. I thought she was going to be good and I was not disappointed. She may bring back the toughness we lost when Payton and Nordberg graduated. But I was very excited about the freshman that BB mentions. Bothe Darian White and Madison Jackson bring some exciting speed and athleticism. I agree that Darian will see lots of playing time. She is really quick and a great ball handler and will be fun to watch. Madison is really fast and athletic. She could be a great defensive player and we will see more of her if she also shoots well. And for being off a year, Kola Bad Bear looks to have good size and some skills.

On the men’s side, I left thinking we look much bigger and more athletic overall than last year. But I really wondered about our shooting. I read this morning where we practiced and lifted earlier in the day, so that may help our shooting later. Let’s hope. But overall, we do look to have much better size with Kirby, Belo, along with a much bigger Quinlan. And I agree that Fleute also has some skills at 6’-9”. Amin Adamu will become a fan favorite also; just looks like a different level of athlete than we have had in awhile. This is a young team, but if Danny keeps them improving as the year goes on, they could be a tough team by the end of the year.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:03 pm

Enjoyed the evening quit well. I agree with what was posted above. Just add for the Women Jackson was the big surise, in that she should immediately junp over some upperclassmen in the depth chart. She was constantly moving on offence, can bring the ball up in traffic and plays hard on defense. She needs to get in the weight room though as she is rail thin. Also as mentioned, it was great to see Bad Bear beck on the court, she was all over the court and is a terrific slasher in the paint, if it were not for the brace on her knee you would hardly guess she had the injury last year. Really bummed to see Van Sickle riding the bench in street clothes. I am hoping she can return to her freshman form and have a big impact at the point, Squires played well over 1/2 her minutes at the point so it makes me think Binford is planning to use her mainly at the point. Yes I liked White.

Men: I loved watching Bello and Kirby go at it underneath. It got real physical at times. I remember Kirby's freshman year he almost looked like he was avoiding all contact. Both our JC guards looked better than I was hoping for, we should be solid with Ricketts back in the fold. Quinlan could be a monster if not this year than his junior senior year. He is explosive, quick can shoot the three drive and score with contact. To top all that he is a terrific ball handler. Brought the ball down the court on fast-breaks. Really skilled. As I tweeted last night I can not remember a time when we had this many quality true big on the roster.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:41 pm

I agree with all the positive comments on our Lady Cats. The big concern I have is our poor passing. The high cross court passes will be picked repeatedly just like PSU did at the tourney last year.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:10 pm

I liked all the excitement about the Women’s team, but i hope everyone remembers it’s a team championship, not individual. I love the hype on Fallyn, but it reminds me of the hype on Claire Lindberg last season. I thought the team failed last season due to Binford focused to much of the offense on one player. Teams and defense win championships! I hope the offense isn’t one dimensional and the defense nonexistent. We got too much talent to not play team ball! If the passing and defense doesn’t improve it could be a disappointing season.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Echo comments above. To add:

- I wasn’t sure Darian could start as a freshman. Still not sure without being able to compare Ashley on the court to see how she has grown. But I can say she opened my eyes and that Darian will be fun to watch over the next 4 years....and she will be on the court a lot. She showed some elements of being “the floor general” at times. A lot to look forward to.
- I liked the looks of Skye Lindsay also. She had to play with the scout team all night....but I saw that Kola and Skye will be the future inside game next year when Madeline and Blair are gone. I think we will be OK with those two in the game looking to the future. Will be hard to totally replace the trio of Madeline, Blair, and Fallyn though. Not sure who the big 3rd will be next year.......maybe Mocchi??
- besides Madison I think Sidney Zieske (redshirt freshman) is a step faster and stronger this year too....she put in several good stints in the game.

I think Coach Binford has to sit two players for the year...one is Skye Lindsay (transfer rule) but unclear who the other will be....

I don’t think any of the injuries for those not suited up are serious....what I heard was better safe than sorry so rest for a scrimmage.

Nothing much to add from men’s scrimmage....still unclear to me where the 20 ppg loss from losing Tyler Hall is going to come from. Definitely a stronger team inside. A more active team on the court on both sides of the ball.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:37 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 pm
Nothing much to add from men’s scrimmage....still unclear to me where the 20 ppg loss from losing Tyler Hall is going to come from. Definitely a stronger team inside. A more active team on the court on both sides of the ball.
I'm guessing this team will be about the same as last year's record wise. I would guess we won't score as much, but we may also be a little harder to score on. One thing is for sure-we won't need to convert another 6'5" swing man into a center. We do have legitimate bigs.