UM getting sued

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

exppi
Member # Retired

UM getting sued

Post by exppi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Bobby and Haslam named as defendants as well.

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-r ... 63f18.html
A Missoula resident who was punched in the face by a Griz football player at a house party last year is suing the player, UM, head football coach Bobby Hauck and Athletic Director Kent Haslam.

Griz defensive end Lorenzo Brown pleaded guilty in January to assaulting Noah Willison, breaking his upper jaw and causing other facial injuries. Now, as the medical bills pile up, Willison is seeking damages.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: UM getting sued

Post by RickRund » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:44 pm

exppi wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:22 pm
Bobby and Haslam named as defendants as well.

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-r ... 63f18.html
A Missoula resident who was punched in the face by a Griz football player at a house party last year is suing the player, UM, head football coach Bobby Hauck and Athletic Director Kent Haslam.

Griz defensive end Lorenzo Brown pleaded guilty in January to assaulting Noah Willison, breaking his upper jaw and causing other facial injuries. Now, as the medical bills pile up, Willison is seeking damages.
I DO NOT know the law and if this boat will even float but good grief the news just does not stop over there...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:09 pm

This is probably just the tip of the iceberg in terms of public backlash. My guess is people opposed to rehiring Hauck will be coming out of the woodwork.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:37 pm

I am no attorney, but do misdemeanors normally result in $27,000 of restitution, $5,000+ in medical charges and then get to pay the restitution in $100 monthly payments over 22 years???

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 am

Correct Cataholic, sounds like felony assault charges to me.

This is the culture the school, administration, and community have accepted, just to win some football games

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:08 am

What in heaven’a name could cause this type of behavior???

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 am

autocat wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 am

This is the culture the school, administration, and community have accepted, just to win some football games
Yes, with the seriousness of the injury it doesn't strike me as a misdemeanor. A split lip or a black eye, well that sounds different. The guy did have a pretty good injury and treatment is still needed.
Yep, quite a culture over there. Academics are receiving a black eye as well as their vaunted athletic program (football)...

msubobcats@outlook.com

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:12 am

RickRund wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 am
autocat wrote:

Yes, with the seriousness of the injury it doesn't strike me as a misdemeanor. A split lip or a black eye, well that sounds different. The guy did have a pretty good injury and treatment is still needed.
Yep, quite a culture over there. Academics are receiving a black eye as well as their vaunted athletic program (football)...
We’ll need to wait and find out the whole story from Missoula attorneys Jack Manning and Dave Paoli. It’s possible Willison grabbed the football players hand, balled it up into a fist and punched himself.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:21 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:12 am
RickRund wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 am
autocat wrote:

We’ll need to wait and find out the whole story from Missoula attorneys Jack Manning and Dave Paoli. It’s possible Willison grabbed the football players hand, balled it up into a fist and punched himself.
We can always rely on TomCatt88 to add a twist to the plot :D

msubobcats@outlook.com

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:51 am

Definitely sounds like felony assault, but how can the university and the football coach be held responsible for this kid's actions? Certainly the kid who did the assault should be held financially responsible but I don't see how the rest will hold up in court.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:08 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:51 am
Definitely sounds like felony assault, but how can the university and the football coach be held responsible for this kid's actions? Certainly the kid who did the assault should be held financially responsible but I don't see how the rest will hold up in court.
And does felony mean expulsion? If the charge was previously a misdemeanor can it be upgraded to a felony or would that be double jeopardy?
What a mess!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:23 am

RickRund wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:08 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:51 am
And does felony mean expulsion? If the charge was previously a misdemeanor can it be upgraded to a felony or would that be double jeopardy?
What a mess!!!
Ya, I don't think it can be upgraded. As far as the football player goes, I think it's over and done with. He pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault, was ordered to pay $27K in restitution, in $100/month payments. But the victim wants the money quicker since that will take about 20 years, so he's suing the school and coach. I don't see it. But I'm no lawyer so who knows.

Aloha21
New Recruit

Post by Aloha21 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:39 am

The way I understand this is the judge issued his final order and Brown in fact plead guilty to misdemeanor assault. The school’s code of conduct makes it clear he can’t participate in 10% of the remaining games which he hasn’t. In fact this young man hasn’t even suited up for any games and sits with the redshirt freshman at home games. He won’t see the field this year for sure. One thing to be aware of he is not a Hauck recruit but a Stitt recruit that Bobby honored. Personally I hope this lawsuit doesn’t gain traction for the plain reason it would set a precedent which could spread to all coaches at all schools regarding all sports. That could be a true cluster.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:03 pm

77matcat wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:08 am
What in heaven’a name could cause this type of behavior???
steroids?

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:37 pm

I agree that the football player should have to cover the other guy's costs (assuming the article is correct) and 20 years to pay it is ridiculous if the victim has those bills to pay. But suing Hauck, Haslam and UM is just going for the deep pockets, hoping for a settlement being cheaper than the legal costs so they can get a payment.

autocat

Post by autocat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:12 pm

This took place in 2018, nothing is going change regarding the charges

Where did the county prosecutor go to law school at?

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:21 pm

autocat wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Well, I would guess dUMb. This is pretty typical of the county attorneys when griz FB players are involved. Give “Missoula” a read.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:32 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:21 pm
autocat wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Well, I would guess dUMb. This is pretty typical of the county attorneys when griz FB players are involved. Give “Missoula” a read.
This is what is truly amazing to me. The school has been hammered in the past for special treatment of football players. The county has been criticized for their handling in the past as well. Yet this looks like a sweetheart deal for the player.

Also, why is this the first we have heard of this? I don’t recall any charge back then. And if this victim never filed this suit, would the public have ever heard about the incident?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:46 pm

Went to egriz to get their take on this. Strangely, I could not find one single post on this. Do they not care as long as their team is winning?

GRIZFNZ

Post by GRIZFNZ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:46 pm
Went to egriz to get their take on this. Strangely, I could not find one single post on this.
Probably because it happened over a year ago and the player served the mandated suspension per the code of conduct.