Starting predictions anyone

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Starting predictions anyone

Post by mslacat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 am

This question has been asked in a few other threads so I thought I would post my own thread,besides basketball is around the corner and this board is dead.

Who will be the starting 5?

I am here in Missoula and have not been able to make it any practices. My prediction is based on past performance, player rating of incoming players. I have also been able to talk to Sprinkle on a few occasions, but about starting spots or playing time he is holding his cards close to his chest and let the players determine/earn their spots and minutes.

1-3 spots (Guard/Small Forward)
On paper this is easy. Harald Frey 6-2 PG/SG 2nd team all conference( I actually thought he should have been 1st team and Hall 2nd team) last season. Ladan Ricketts 6-5 SG/W started 17 games and got better as the season progressed. Amin Adamu 6-4 SG/W who most scouts think is our best recruit, from a strong guard heavy JC that played deep into the NJCAA championship tourney. These guys on paper are clearly our best guards/wings. Mychael Paulo 6-4 PG/SG/SF is a real versatile player maybe 4th in line. In my opinion though the back court of Frey, Adamu and Ladan is an better than average Big Sky Conference starting back court and we should be solid. The bench though needs players to step up.. Looking to grab a starting spot or significant spot in the rotation are, Zeke Quinland 6-8 SF/PF, Quentin Guliford 6'-6" SG/SF, Caleb Bellach 6'-5" SG/SF. Zach Hobbs 6'-5" SG/SF and as mentioned above Paulo. If one of these players can snatch a starting role from the Frey, Adamu or Ricketts, that will only mean good new for the Bobcats as it will mean one of those 5 have taken their game to the next level.

4 & 5 (Power Forward/Center)
Our to best 4/5's are clearly Devin Kirby 6-11 PF/C and Jubrile Bele 6-9 (on tippie toes) JC transfer who Sprinkle has been quoted multiple time "Could be a beast in the Big Sky Conference". Kirby started every game last season and was considered to be one of the best true big men in the conference last season. Despite, this I have asked Sprinkle and Bozeman Chronicle Sprinkle if they can/will play together. In both occasions Sprinkle has said "They will play together AT TIMES this year" That is not a strong indication that he WILL start them. So then the question becomes if they don't start together then which one will start and then which one of our remaining very young and inexperienced big men. Between two true freshman foreign imports, I hear Borja Fernandez 6-7 PF might be more ready to contribute immediately because of his physicality and experience. Finn Fleute 6-9 c/PF is a very skilled with a huge upside but needs to increase his strength and adjust to the physical game of D-1 ball. The other Option would be Zeke Quinland 6-8 combo forward who could see some time at small forward. He gives the team a little (and I mean little)more D-1 experience than the other options but also a very athletic quick rebounder who can stretch floor with his 3 point ability.

My Starting 5
PG Harald Frey
SG Amin Adamu
W Ladan Ricketts
PFJubreile Belo
C Devin Kirby*

* Note: Barring injury, this is my starting line up after 5-8 games and a little shake out of players and roles. I think Sprinkle may start the season with Quinlan at the 4 spot, but eventually he will go with his two best players at the 4 and 5.

** Note: I tend to down play True freshman. So many factors effect their performance. I prefer to under estimate and let them prove me wrong. I loved being proven wrong!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Starting predictions anyone

Post by mslacat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:14 pm

You don't think I was just going to stop with the men!! Nope Here are my thoughts on the Women.

Unlike Sprinkle who is using this year as the first step in building his program, Binford has her program running almost like a top. She and the Bobcats have most consistent team in the Big Sky Conference over the past 4-5 years. After every successful year there was no rebuilding, it was simply a retooling. These great players leaves and the next great players step up. This year it will be no different (next year though may be Binfords First rebuilding year in a very long time).

Three players in my opinion are automatic penciled in the starting line-up. Oliana Squires 5-8 guard/wing (returning starter), Martha Kuderer 5-11 forward (returning starter) and Fallyne Freije 6'-0" forward (transfer from North Dakota; 2nd team all conference 17-18). Any of these under the right circumstances could be 1st team all conference (maybe POY?) Freije and Kunderer should fill the forward spots and make life hell for opposing Big Sky teams. Both can play very physical on both ends of the court and extend their game to the 3 point arc and spread the court. Squires can and will play both back-court spots and even the small forward spot if Binford wants to go small. She was our best if not only option at the point guard spot and started their numerous times, but she is at her best when she is at the shooting guard spot. I think the coaches are going to try to get her there if they can find a solid option at point guard. the three most likely options for Squires back-court mate are as follows: Tori Martell 5-8 SG started 18 games last year at the shooting guard spot. She has good ball skills but her number 1 asset is her shooting. She has deep range still though she has been very hot and cold with her shooting. The coaches have high hopes for her but she needs to become the big time scoring threat at the 3 point line, that the coaches recruited her for. Ashley Van Sickle 5-7 PG is a pure point guard. After a freshman season where she played in all 31 games as our back up point guard I had her penciled in as the starter last year, but she had a very off year. She sat out 9 games with a foot injury and was never quite the same most of the season. On a plus note though her best games last season were the couple of conference game and the tourney. Hopefully she will back to form this year. The third possibility (in my opinion is true freshman Darian White. Like I said I tend to down play true freshman players but it just looks like all the stars are aligning to give her the shot at the starting point guard. It reminds me of the year Harald Frey started as a freshman. White is a pure point guard, but she can also score the ball from anywhere on the court. She is also fast, quick and relentless. White has a solid shot at starting, if she can show a level of maturity at the PG spot to lead the team.

The last starting spot is the center or 3rd forward on the team. Not hard to guess who the candidates are. Six two book ends Madeline Smith and Blaire Braxton tagged team very successfully at the center spot until Lundberg went down with a season ending injury. After that they started at the 4 and 5. Both could start on just about any other team in the conference but we will be loaded at the forward/center spot. Based o who started before Lundberg went down is what I am hanging my hat on, but who starts may have more to do with who there opponent is. Braxton is more of a true low post center and is better defender and shot blocker, Smith is a very skilled offencive player. Pretty good rebounder to boot. Both will play major minutes. They will play together a lot. whom ever does not start will be the 6th man off the bench.

My Starting 5
PG Darian White
SG Oliana Squires
WF Martha Kunderer
WF Fallyn Freije
PF Madeline Smith

BTW Keep you eye on
Gabby Mochi 6-1 PF The coaches are very high on her. She is stuck behind a log Jam of 4 senior forwards, but she is very skilled and could be our starting 3 or 4 next year.
Madison Jackson 5-9 PG/SG the "other" Idaho women signed last year. I think she is going to be a Squires type player. She has played a lot at point guard but is also a dynamite scorer. She is also an athlete all state in volleyball and track. We have not been talking a lot about her but she could cruise by quite a few veterans on the roster.
Syte Lindsey 6-2 F/C You will have to look deep on the bench this year to find her as she sits out this year as a transfer, but she most likely will be our starting 5 for the 20-21; 21-22 and 22-23 season, With our 4 top forward/centers all graduating this year what a god send she was for Binford to sign. this summer. Came off the bench as a freshman for Pepperdine last year avg 3 points 4 rebounds a game. She continually got better as the season went on and averaged 6 points and 6 rebounds a game in the WNIT Tourney.

Big Question for me: How has true freshman Kola Bad Bear bounced back from season ending knee surgery last year. I saw he play as a Junior and thought she really could be a good player in the Big Sky

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 pm

Let’s get started....... my only concern about the WBB program is that Binford might lean more on offense than defense. I believe that defense wins championships. Defense is an attitude. I like the leadership the Seniors bring, but looking to see how the team responds when things get tough.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Men's team: Harald+Kirby+a rotating cast of characters. It's going to be process...but a fun process.

Women's team: I just got a feeling. The league graduated a bunch of all-timers. There's some opportunity to do some things. We have tremendous depth, size, speed, and if Martell and Squires can find some range we have the ability to stretch a defense. They're gonna be good! Squires, Martell, Kuderer, Frieje, and Braxton/Smith each playing 20 minutes and splitting starts.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:21 pm

A little off topic but when can Ava Ranson sign? She seems like a huge get and I can't wait until she's a Bobcat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 pm

My Starting 5
PG Harald Frey (maybe a top 10 greatest to play in a cat uniform)
SG Amin Adamu (kid reminds me of Joe and hopefully he can keep that intensity)
W Ladan Ricketts (hoping for a little better defensive presence this year and stay out of foul trouble)
PF Zeke Quinlan ( I think he will be a big surprise this year as he was scared to death of Fish and now if he is comfortable I think could be a very good defensive and offensive presence on the court)
C Devin Kirby* ( I hope he can keep putting on weight and getting stronger as he is an animal )

I am really excited as I think Danny will bring a more relaxed and supportive role than Fish. I think the guys will want to play hard for him and not be so nervous to screw up and get pulled. I am probably more excited in awhile for the season to begin. I know the griz are loaded, but I think give Danny a few years and hopefully he can pull some rabbits out of his hat with recruiting and we may be a top tier team again.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:21 pm
A little off topic but when can Ava Ranson sign? She seems like a huge get and I can't wait until she's a Bobcat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:03 am

I’m expecting great things from the Women’s program, but what a tough schedule. I hope Martell gets her groove back and can hit from the outside. If we have any outside shooting we’ll the conference champion in a cake walk as we are dominant inside.

I agree that we need to improve our defense. Need to also avoid the injury bug!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Catlady wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 pm
Let’s get started....... my only concern about the WBB program is that Binford might lean more on offense than defense. I believe that defense wins championships. Defense is an attitude. I like the leadership the Seniors bring, but looking to see how the team responds when things get tough.
I would tend to agree with you. In my opinion, what put the women's program over the top about 4-5 years ago was was the hiring of Nate Harris as an assistant (OK John Stockton did also) who really brought a great defensive scheme to the Bobcats. He worked the women hard on his defense
and they loved play defense for him. He left last year and is now head coach at Angelo State. Sunny Smallwood left an assistant job at Arizona to replace him at MSU. She also is suppose to be a defensive coach. At times last year the defense did not look as sharp as it did a few years back, but I hope we can pick it back up this year, because that is what it will take to win a Big Sky Championship.

BTW Ranson will sign next month during the early signing period the Binford is going to sign a huge and very talented class then

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:30 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:14 pm
You don't think I was just going to stop with the men!! Nope Here are my thoughts on the Women.

Unlike Sprinkle who is using this year as the first step in building his program, Binford has her program running almost like a top. She and the Bobcats have most consistent team in the Big Sky Conference over the past 4-5 years. After every successful year there was no rebuilding, it was simply a retooling. These great players leaves and the next great players step up. This year it will be no different (next year though may be Binfords First rebuilding year in a very long time).

Three players in my opinion are automatic penciled in the starting line-up. Oliana Squires 5-8 guard/wing (returning starter), Martha Kuderer 5-11 forward (returning starter) and Fallyne Freije 6'-0" forward (transfer from North Dakota; 2nd team all conference 17-18). Any of these under the right circumstances could be 1st team all conference (maybe POY?) Freije and Kunderer should fill the forward spots and make life hell for opposing Big Sky teams. Both can play very physical on both ends of the court and extend their game to the 3 point arc and spread the court. Squires can and will play both back-court spots and even the small forward spot if Binford wants to go small. She was our best if not only option at the point guard spot and started their numerous times, but she is at her best when she is at the shooting guard spot. I think the coaches are going to try to get her there if they can find a solid option at point guard. the three most likely options for Squires back-court mate are as follows: Tori Martell 5-8 SG started 18 games last year at the shooting guard spot. She has good ball skills but her number 1 asset is her shooting. She has deep range still though she has been very hot and cold with her shooting. The coaches have high hopes for her but she needs to become the big time scoring threat at the 3 point line, that the coaches recruited her for. Ashley Van Sickle 5-7 PG is a pure point guard. After a freshman season where she played in all 31 games as our back up point guard I had her penciled in as the starter last year, but she had a very off year. She sat out 9 games with a foot injury and was never quite the same most of the season. On a plus note though her best games last season were the couple of conference game and the tourney. Hopefully she will back to form this year. The third possibility (in my opinion is true freshman Darian White. Like I said I tend to down play true freshman players but it just looks like all the stars are aligning to give her the shot at the starting point guard. It reminds me of the year Harald Frey started as a freshman. White is a pure point guard, but she can also score the ball from anywhere on the court. She is also fast, quick and relentless. White has a solid shot at starting, if she can show a level of maturity at the PG spot to lead the team.

The last starting spot is the center or 3rd forward on the team. Not hard to guess who the candidates are. Six two book ends Madeline Smith and Blaire Braxton tagged team very successfully at the center spot until Lundberg went down with a season ending injury. After that they started at the 4 and 5. Both could start on just about any other team in the conference but we will be loaded at the forward/center spot. Based o who started before Lundberg went down is what I am hanging my hat on, but who starts may have more to do with who there opponent is. Braxton is more of a true low post center and is better defender and shot blocker, Smith is a very skilled offencive player. Pretty good rebounder to boot. Both will play major minutes. They will play together a lot. whom ever does not start will be the 6th man off the bench.

My Starting 5
PG Darian White
SG Oliana Squires
WF Martha Kunderer
WF Fallyn Freije
PF Madeline Smith

BTW Keep you eye on
Gabby Mochi 6-1 PF The coaches are very high on her. She is stuck behind a log Jam of 4 senior forwards, but she is very skilled and could be our starting 3 or 4 next year.
Madison Jackson 5-9 PG/SG the "other" Idaho women signed last year. I think she is going to be a Squires type player. She has played a lot at point guard but is also a dynamite scorer. She is also an athlete all state in volleyball and track. We have not been talking a lot about her but she could cruise by quite a few veterans on the roster.
Syte Lindsey 6-2 F/C You will have to look deep on the bench this year to find her as she sits out this year as a transfer, but she most likely will be our starting 5 for the 20-21; 21-22 and 22-23 season, With our 4 top forward/centers all graduating this year what a god send she was for Binford to sign. this summer. Came off the bench as a freshman for Pepperdine last year avg 3 points 4 rebounds a game. She continually got better as the season went on and averaged 6 points and 6 rebounds a game in the WNIT Tourney.

Big Question for me: How has true freshman Kola Bad Bear bounced back from season ending knee surgery last year. I saw he play as a Junior and thought she really could be a good player in the Big Sky
It must be a real treat for Coach Binford to have both Smith and Braxton on the team. I think Braxton earns the starting role over Smith (but both will see a lot of playing time and are almost interchangeable and I agree who starts likely depends on opponent). You mentioned the stronger defensive performance of Blair but what goes quietly unnoticed is she had a higher shooting percentage than Smith last year. I remember the freshman Blair who couldn’t hit a thing shooting only in the 30 percentile range and now Blair is at 56%, one of the strongest improvements I have seen and her confidence is growing. Some on the board might be interested to know Blair only needs 8 blocked shots to join the Top 10 all time list for WBB at MSU (Blair finished the season at 96 blocks vs. 55 for Madeline). When around the team it seems Blair has a stronger leadership role. Both great ladies to have on the team.

If Martell shot is back to 40% from the 3-pt range as she did as a freshman, she will be on the floor every minute she can and she will start as a SG. We had a significant drop off in 3 pt shooting last year with only Clair that had to be defended on the perimeter. Oliana only shot 26% from 3 pt range last year so would be interested to hear why you think she should be the SG.... I am more in the PG camp for Oliana. I do not have the benefit of seeing that much of Darian other than a couple practices so maybe you have more insight....but a starting role on D1 team straight out of high school is big step. Even Peyton Ferris couldn’t manage that role! I have read a lot of the hype on Darian so I will be anxious to see her on the court and it would be great if she did indeed earn a starting role (wow would we have an exciting 4 years to look forward to!!!).

Observation of Kola at a couple practices and she was moving fine. I could tell why everyone was excited about her. Will have to wait to see how she performs in a game pressure situation and she needs to use full strength of her leg/knee....but she was fluid and fun to watch in a practice setting. Will be a great Bobcat if she stays healthy in my opinion.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:11 am

Binford does have an embarrassment of riches in the post, but if we don’t show an ability to drain 3s then opposing teams will pack the paint against us. I don’t care if Smith or Braxton starts. They’ve both showed maturity when coming off the bench and contribute in different ways.

I think this season is about the PG and SG position. Squires will do her thing and as a Senior will bring a steady hand to either spot. Martell and contributions from Freshmen will determine if they’ll be a big sky championship in Bozeman.

Anything but a championship will be a disappointing season for this talented senior heavy team.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Catlady wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:11 am
Binford does have an embarrassment of riches in the post, but if we don’t show an ability to drain 3s then opposing teams will pack the paint against us. I don’t care if Smith or Braxton starts. They’ve both showed maturity when coming off the bench and contribute in different ways.

I think this season is about the PG and SG position. Squires will do her thing and as a Senior will bring a steady hand to either spot. Martell and contributions from Freshmen will determine if they’ll be a big sky championship in Bozeman.

Anything but a championship will be a disappointing season for this talented senior heavy team.
Binford may have an "embarrassment riches" over all, but last year we were very weak at the point guard spot and I am concerned about that coming into this season. Van Sickle was the only true point guard on the team and she had a down year (I believe injury related). I am very concerned about who will fill that spot and who will back up. All the major back court players are back the only additions are true freshmen White and Jackson. Like people have pointed out, if you are counting on freshman you will most like be burned as you are successful. I have not done a deep dive into all the Big Sky teams who is returning and who has added significant recruits so i is hard to say Binford needs to accomplish this or that to be successful, but in order for this team to reach its potential (Championship?) they will need to get a lot better at point guard and return to the defensive level we were in 17-18

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:24 pm

When Hannah Caudill graduated, it left some really big shoes to fill. I believe that Hannah never got the acclaim she deserved. Last year was a struggle at the point, with Ashley missing so much of the year. Hallie Wright, who filled in at point a lot, is not returning. Kamden Hilborn also has left the team. There are still six guards on the roster — who will step forward and help Ashley and Oliana at the point?

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:57 pm

mslacat wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:30 pm
Catlady wrote:

Binford may have an "embarrassment riches" over all, but last year we were very weak at the point guard spot and I am concerned about that coming into this season. Van Sickle was the only true point guard on the team and she had a down year (I believe injury related). I am very concerned about who will fill that spot and who will back up. All the major back court players are back the only additions are true freshmen White and Jackson. Like people have pointed out, if you are counting on freshman you will most like be burned as you are successful. I have not done a deep dive into all the Big Sky teams who is returning and who has added significant recruits so i is hard to say Binford needs to accomplish this or that to be successful, but in order for this team to reach its potential (Championship?) they will need to get a lot better at point guard and return to the defensive level we were in 17-18
Have to agree on all counts. PG and defense are going to be the deciding factors. It was a little brutal last year, but I feel Squires can rise to the occasion!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:57 pm
mslacat wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:30 pm
Catlady wrote:

Have to agree on all counts. PG and defense are going to be the deciding factors. It was a little brutal last year, but I feel Squires can rise to the occasion!
Good comments for discussion.

Mslacat....yes Ashley Van Sickle was out 9 games with ankle injury and had limited playing time for several more games. She was out or limited in her play for a third to a half of the season. So she lost a lot of critical experience time in her sophomore year. When she did get healthy she still didn’t get to the level I wanted to see her performing at. I asked Binford one time last year and she said Van Sickle was the heir apparent to Caudill (but I think everyone here knows those are mighty big big big shoes to be asked to fill). Ashley came in with a pretty high pedigree from a 5A program in Colorado...received a lot of all-Colorado awards, finished shooting over 40% from 3 range. I am rooting for to rise to that next level as a junior and play a bigger role as a PG....that would be nice to see. Would really help fill a gap and give some time to develop the freshmen behind her and Oliana.

That being said, the critical pieces of the puzzle I saw from last year and what I see this year are:
- Defense: in particular on the perimeter. Seemed like every decent shooting guard set or tied a scoring record against us. I think with the addition of Fallyn, another year of strength growth on Madeline, Blair, Martha, and Gabby, we are going to be as tough as nails on the inside. Protecting the perimeter is something I would hope to see but I don’t know where or who it is going to come from with this team. Perhaps Darian is the hustle player everyone says thus her and Oliana can lead the league in steals (perhaps it is more a “Guard” discussion from a defensive perspective).
- Ability to shoot from the perimeter: We had Clair who shot 39%, Gabbi and Martha at over 30%. No one else was over 30%. Tori and Olianna shooting from the perimeter declined over 10 percentage points from the prior year. When Claire went down we lost 17 ppg and really allowed teams to play a more sagging defense. We need to get more contribution from the outside which will only help open it up for an outstanding group of seniors on the inside.
- Offensive movement: I think Coach Binford learned a lesson when she had to go back to a motion offense because we were simply flat footed. On another thread I joked that at times last year I could have run on the floor with a magic marker and drawn an outline around their shoes because they stood in one place so long. It improved much in the second half of season. I am hoping to see an active moving team.
- Hustle: Quite frankly I think we were flatly out-hustled in many games last year. It sometimes showed in defensive lapses and other times in just getting after loose balls and rebounds. You didn’t have the Riley Nordgard factor on the floor. If there is one thing Fallyn is going to bring on the court to help energize this team is that energy and hustle. Perhaps the rest of the seniors are going to be “hungry” and bring it every game also, much depends on the mental toughness and “want to” of this senior class.

Just my opinion.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Great post! I agree with concerns about defense on the perimeter and we did do everything but vote to make opposing guards all conference last year. I disagree with a lack of hustle for rebounds, Blair Braxton plays with hustle and enthusiasm! Her offensive rebounds kept us in a lot of games and defensively she’s locked in every play. She also doesn’t make stupid fouls. I think we won a title in Braxton’s freshman year due to her defense. I didn’t believe that she had the top FG% last year until I read it here, but her offense has improved significantly. I’m not sure how she blocks so many shots without jumping! Coach Burrows should be proud, she developed a strong post presence with Smith and Braxton.

I know I’m the only one that thinks Binford has to find away to play Smith and Braxton at the same time, but they both are two of the best players on the team. We do need improvements at Guard. I’m hoping Martell is over her Sophomore slump! Her defense really improved last year and with some confidence could really improve her 3pt %. Maybe not 40% again, but enough to stop defenses from sagging in the paint. After watching last season, the big question is going to be who is going to bring the ball up? Hayley Wright saved our bacon last season. I never thought she was a guard, but she didn’t turn it over!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Catlady wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:53 pm
Great post! I agree with concerns about defense on the perimeter and we did do everything but vote to make opposing guards all conference last year. I disagree with a lack of hustle for rebounds, Blair Braxton plays with hustle and enthusiasm! Her offensive rebounds kept us in a lot of games and defensively she’s locked in every play. She also doesn’t make stupid fouls. I think we won a title in Braxton’s freshman year due to her defense. I didn’t believe that she had the top FG% last year until I read it here, but her offense has improved significantly. I’m not sure how she blocks so many shots without jumping! Coach Burrows should be proud, she developed a strong post presence with Smith and Braxton.

I know I’m the only one that thinks Binford has to find away to play Smith and Braxton at the same time, but they both are two of the best players on the team. We do need improvements at Guard. I’m hoping Martell is over her Sophomore slump! Her defense really improved last year and with some confidence could really improve her 3pt %. Maybe not 40% again, but enough to stop defenses from sagging in the paint. After watching last season, the big question is going to be who is going to bring the ball up? Hayley Wright saved our bacon last season. I never thought she was a guard, but she didn’t turn it over!
Guess you could be right on rebounds but I saw a lot of lapses. Maybe I looked at the wrong stat sheet but the one I saw said we ranked 7th out of 11 teams on the number of offensive rebounds and 8th of 11 teams on number of defensive rebounds for the season last year. My thinking is we will have to do a lot better than that to win a championship. Blair ranked 18th in the conference....the only other Bobcat in top 20 for rebounding was Martha. Again that is the data I found but you may have something else that says otherwise.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:22 am

Good observation. Blair ranked 7th on the team in minutes played and Madeleine 6th. Although her and Smith combined do very well, I think having them on the bench and only playing less than 20 minutes a game each hurts the team. Smith and Braxton do a good job patrolling the paint, but I think Binford is missing an opportunity not finding a way to get both of them on the court. If you look at their results being on the court for 30 minutes it makes a huge difference.