R&R Cat Cast - New Bobcat Fan Podcast

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: R&R Cat Cast - New Bobcat Fan Podcast

Post by CelticCat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:59 am

I believed Choate 100% when he said he was going to start Rovig at Idaho before he got hurt. I'm not sure where I've said otherwise?

We all had different opinions on the QB situation last year. But I never said I didn't believe the staff when they said they were going to start Rovig before he was injured.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:21 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:30 am
I work late on week days and always look forward to listening in. I have a beer and unwind, it's like having a beer and talking about MSU football with friends. I also feel like Choate messed up wits Rovig last year. It seemed like a no brainer that he should have started vs eastern Washington.

Anyways, enjoy your show. Please keep doing what you do.
I just wanna make sure I read that right: A week after Andersen ran for 211 and two TDs and passed for 107 on 14 attempts and one TD, it seemed like a no-brainer to replace him with Rovig?
Yeah, you read that right. I forgot about the psu game after Wagner, then it was on to ewu. Regardless, Rovig should have been our guy Wagner on. Thought that we would be much more dynamic with Rovig at qb and Ifanse Andersen in the backfield. Rovig threw well every time he was put in the game. He's our qb1 now because we need a passing threat which will force defenses to stop loading the box. Andersen was not able to do that in the QB position.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:00 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:21 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:30 am
I work late on week days and always look forward to listening in. I have a beer and unwind, it's like having a beer and talking about MSU football with friends. I also feel like Choate messed up wits Rovig last year. It seemed like a no brainer that he should have started vs eastern Washington.

Anyways, enjoy your show. Please keep doing what you do.
I just wanna make sure I read that right: A week after Andersen ran for 211 and two TDs and passed for 107 on 14 attempts and one TD, it seemed like a no-brainer to replace him with Rovig?
Yeah, you read that right. I forgot about the psu game after Wagner, then it was on to ewu. Regardless, Rovig should have been our guy Wagner on. Thought that we would be much more dynamic with Rovig at qb and Ifanse Andersen in the backfield. Rovig threw well every time he was put in the game. He's our qb1 now because we need a passing threat which will force defenses to stop loading the box. Andersen was not able to do that in the QB position.
Well the interesting game I think is EWU. Andersen was obviously left at QB because he was the better leader and gave us a better chance in Choate's eyes. That can't help Rovig's confidence knowing that, which goes back to the original comment of Choate not necessarily doing the QBs any favors. Rovig took his lumps at SDSU and got better as the game went on. If it was me he would have played against PSU. Hindsight is 20/20 and there was no way of knowing he would miss the last half of the season due to a freak practice accident so I'm not going to spend too much time second guessing Choate on that decision.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:13 pm

As part of the R&R, I just want to thank anyone who takes time to listen. Ryan and I work hard to put the cast together. One thing I enjoy about the cast is the afforded liberties to frame our opinions as fans. We certainly don't claim to be journalist and work hard to give credit to those who are. We always call it like we see it, from the perspective we have. We hope you enjoy our banter and again, thanks for listening!

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:15 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:13 pm
As part of the R&R, I just want to thank anyone who takes time to listen. Ryan and I work hard to put the cast together. One thing I enjoy about the cast is the afforded liberties to frame our opinions as fans. We certainly don't claim to be journalist and work hard to give credit to those who are. We always call it like we see it, from the perspective we have. We hope you enjoy our banter and again, thanks for listening!
Well put, Ryan.

Keep up the good work guys!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:31 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:35 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:51 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:50 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:50 pm
You guys mentioned on the show and others have commented as well that you don't trust Choate on QBs. Specifically mentioning him starting Rovig last year and then Troy after that. Rovig started because Troy broke his hand. They brought Troy back against a team that was really bad against the run and it worked. He moves guys around on defense as well. Goal is to get best guys in a position to take advantage of the opponent each week
I just don't think he's really done any of the QBs here any favors in the confidence department, and yes that includes Bruggman. I don't think QB is necessarily a position where you can just move guys around. No QB wants to be recruited to come play some or most of the snaps, or not even at all if coach thinks another guy is a better matchup against this team than you are. Choate even himself basically admitted they need to get better at managing the rotating QB/wildcat rotation in a presser a week or two ago.

If I'm Rovig after Wagner last year, I'm thinking what the hell do I have to do to win this job. I get why Troy started at PSU and obviously it worked, but we stuck with Troy even when we played EWU the next week.
Choate wasn't ready to go with Rovig as starter until the bye week, which was after EWU. Thats when Rovig broke his foot.
At least that is what Choate has said - it was the bye week they were going to make the transition to Rovig. The earlier games he played (SDSU and Wagner) were due to injury to Troy.
What I don’t trust is RnR CatCast. No matter how many times people tell CelticCat that Rovig was going to start vs Idaho AND going forward, he still doesn’t acknowledge it. It’s an old media trick to keep people paying attention to you: say something controversial to get attention.

There are too many people winging it out there. Leave the reporting to real reporters like Colter, Rachac, Chronicle crew.
I enjoy the podcast from both RnR and the Outsider. To suggest they "leave the reporting to real reporters"... is asinine! It's kind of like, "leave the real opining to others who opine on message boards...like me"! Crazy no?

Regarding "real reporters"... I, like everyone on this board, love to get all the insight from all the sources. Colter has been great but he is now becoming what he left the Chronicle over...someone needing to follow the stories where the money is! He is going more missoula and griz over Cats and Cat coverage because it's inevitable. I get it. But don't think he's the only one out there who can not only report or opine.

Driscoll, Celtic and Common, keep it coming and draw from every source. But don't let this kind of view from Iaa dampen anything you all are doing. You have no horse in the race, dog in the fight, other than your love of all things Cat...and I applaud you! =D^

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:39 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:31 pm
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
You guys mentioned on the show and others have commented as well that you don't trust Choate on QBs. Specifically mentioning him starting Rovig last year and then Troy after that. Rovig started because Troy broke his hand. They brought Troy back against a team that was really bad against the run and it worked. He moves guys around on defense as well. Goal is to get best guys in a position to take advantage of the opponent each week
I just don't think he's really done any of the QBs here any favors in the confidence department, and yes that includes Bruggman. I don't think QB is necessarily a position where you can just move guys around. No QB wants to be recruited to come play some or most of the snaps, or not even at all if coach thinks another guy is a better matchup against this team than you are. Choate even himself basically admitted they need to get better at managing the rotating QB/wildcat rotation in a presser a week or two ago.

If I'm Rovig after Wagner last year, I'm thinking what the hell do I have to do to win this job. I get why Troy started at PSU and obviously it worked, but we stuck with Troy even when we played EWU the next week.
You j

Choate wasn't ready to go with Rovig as starter until the bye week, which was after EWU. Thats when Rovig broke his foot.
At least that is what Choate has said - it was the bye week they were going to make the transition to Rovig. The earlier games he played (SDSU and Wagner) were due to injury to Troy.
What I don’t trust is RnR CatCast. No matter how many times people tell CelticCat that Rovig was going to start vs Idaho AND going forward, he still doesn’t acknowledge it. It’s an old media trick to keep people paying attention to you: say something controversial to get attention.

There are too many people winging it out there. Leave the reporting to real reporters like Colter, Rachac, Chronicle crew.
I enjoy the podcast from both RnR and the Outsider. To suggest they "leave the reporting to real reporters"... is asinine! It's kind of like, "leave the real opining to others who opine on message boards...like me"! Crazy no?

Regarding "real reporters"... I, like everyone on this board, love to get all the insight from all the sources. Colter has been great but he is now becoming what he left the Chronicle over...someone needing to follow the stories where the money is! He is going more missoula and griz over Cats and Cat coverage because it's inevitable. I get it. But don't think he's the only one out there who can not only report or opine.

Driscoll, Celtic and Common, keep it coming and draw from every source. But don't let this kind of view from Iaa dampen anything you all are doing. You have no horse in the race, dog in the fight, other than your love of all things Cat...and I applaud you! =D^
You just earned yourself a Golden Koozie! Haha! Thank you for your kind words and support. DM me your info and I’ll get it in the mail.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:01 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:39 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:31 pm
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:

You j

You just earned yourself a Golden Koozie! Haha! Thank you for your kind words and support. DM me your info and I’ll get it in the mail.
Thanks for throwing me in with them too @catsrback76. I really appreciate the support. I know it’s not as tempting to share support as it is to share criticism, so I genuinely appreciate it.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:51 am

I listen and enjoy both R&R and Outsider, I think the fan perspective is great. The reporters are fine, I read some of their stuff but that is supposed to be reporting based on interviews and other information gained from their close contacts with the team, usually reporters "analysis" is just a regurgitation of insight they have gained from contacts close to the team. I'm not saying that reporters perspective is bad or that I don't want it but it is definitely different than a fans perspective.

keep it up R&R and Outsider, we are out here listening and enjoying what you are doing.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:41 am

The Bobcats overcome a 21 point 2nd quarter deficit to win 49-31 against NAU. Is this sustainable? We recap the game and preview the Cal Poly matchup on the road.

Thanks for all your Golden Koozie questions! @allcat was the winner this week, reach out to @Common Cat or myself with your address and we'll get you one in the mail!

Anchor:
https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast/episodes/NA ... 1/a-apfqbp

iTunes:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/n ... 0452046668

Stitcher

Throughout the season we will be giving away R&R Cat Cast beer koozies, simply send us your questions via Twitter, here on Bobcatnation, or rrcatcast@gmail.com and we'll pick one winner per episode and answer the question on the podcast and we will get one in the mail for you.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:53 am

After some technical difficulties I finally released our Cal Poly Recap and Sac State preview episode. We have an interview with Collin Powers, a Sac State fan who runs Hornet fan Twitter account, the Hornet House, so that was fun. Thanks again for all of the Golden Koozie questions - we answer them if we read them before we start recording so if we missed any we will try and get to to next week!

Anchor:
https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast/episodes/Ca ... d/a-ar3di7

iTunes:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/c ... 0453025551

Stitcher

@Common Cat and I will be in Bozeman for the game, we are currently taking suggestions on where we should enjoy a brew or two!

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:51 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:53 am
After some technical difficulties I finally released our Cal Poly Recap and Sac State preview episode. We have an interview with Collin Powers, a Sac State fan who runs Hornet fan Twitter account, the Hornet House, so that was fun. Thanks again for all of the Golden Koozie questions - we answer them if we read them before we start recording so if we missed any we will try and get to to next week!

Anchor:
https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast/episodes/Ca ... d/a-ar3di7

iTunes:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/c ... 0453025551

Stitcher

@Common Cat and I will be in Bozeman for the game, we are currently taking suggestions on where we should enjoy a brew or two!
Here's some of my recommendations in no particular order:

Bridger Brewing
Map Brewing
Mountains Walking Brewing
Shine Beer Sanctuary (in what used to be the Garage. I haven't been yet, but heard positive things so far)
Bacchus (it's pricier since they reopened, but I'm liking it)
Union Hall (in what used to be White Dog on Main Street. I also haven't been and I've heard mixed reviews, but I like beer so I'll give it a whirl)

Obviously a lot of your staples are still around (R Bar, Specs, etc.).

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:49 pm

If any of you have a tailgate - I would love to meet you guys. Send me a message!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:43 pm

This is a fun podcast to listen to. Helps pass the days between games.

Very curious why you guys and others on this board are so high on the griz? I think they’re playing fine football. But they’ve played no one. And they definitely haven’t played a defense yet. Trying to figure out what they’ve done to be number one in the conference; especially over Weber?

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:43 pm

Very curious why you guys and others on this board are so high on the griz? I think they’re playing fine football. But they’ve played no one. And they definitely haven’t played a defense yet. Trying to figure out what they’ve done to be number one in the conference; especially over Weber?
I agree with you on, who have they played? You can't look past they are playing better defense and have arguably the best offense in the Big Sky right now. They do not have elite line play and we know that is IMPORTANT when late October and November comes around. But to this date, they have looked like the "hottest" team in the conference.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:32 am

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

I agree with you on, who have they played? You can't look past they are playing better defense and have arguably the best offense in the Big Sky right now. They do not have elite line play and we know that is IMPORTANT when late October and November comes around. But to this date, they have looked like the "hottest" team in the conference.
I think one thing to remember with the Griz under Bobby is their performance is 80% fueled by pure EGO! :wink: More than maybe any team but NDSU, if they believe they will win, they will. It allows their "weak" units to perform above expectations. As long as they remain hot, they will be very hard for anybody to take down.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:26 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

You may be right. But as the other thread says, they are currently passing my eye test. Doesn’t mean anything because my eye is pedestrian at best but they look like the best team to me right now. This is a power ranking not a poll which I treat very differently. But I also said on the podcast I think the top 3 are petty much interchangeable right now.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:05 am

Well, not as exciting of a homecmoing for @Common Cat and I as we maybe would have liked, but we still had a blast in Bozeman and it was nice meeting some people here on the board. We give our thoughts on the Sac State game and what the Cats should focus on during the bye week.

Confession - I ate at the Western Cafe for the first time in my life... somehow I never ate there during college.

Anchor:
https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast/episodes/Sa ... u/a-at5h95

iTunes:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0453824963

Stitcher

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:46 pm

We're going to have Sam Herder from Hero Sports on tomorrow night to preview the UND game and probably talk a little bit about the Bobcats overall. Let us know if you have any questions you'd like us to ask Sam!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:13 am

As I mentioned in the post above this one, we will have Sam Herder on tonight to preview the UND game. Let us know if you have any questions for him.

Since we were able to get Sam to come on, and had a lot to talk about after the bye, we decided to split this week into two episodes. In this bye week episode we talked about reasons for optimism, and reasons for concern. Let's just say @Common Cat gets pretty fired up.

Anchor:
https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast/episodes/By ... r/a-attr7j

iTunes:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/b ... 0454567288

Stitcher