Montana Recruits 2020

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:37 pm

Mellott with TD passes of 50, 70, 33, and 65 yards. The first three were all in the first quarter. Ran one in from 14.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:28 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 pm
Butte won 55-28, but I haven't seen any details. I imagine Mellot had a big first half and might've sat out a lot of the second half. I heard Jaxon Lee had a good first half for Sentinel vs. Capital. 88 yards rushing and 20 receiving at halftime.
Score was 41-13 at half. Mellot only came out the last series of the game. Just a very strange, slow second half. Rainy night, lots of penalties, and just kinda ugly. Glacier got torched over the top at least on 3 of those touchdowns if not more. Glacier’s defense is not very good. Couple of good players, but not a good unit. Butte simply looked bigger, stronger, faster.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:36 am

Mellott had 298 passing and 126 rushing.

Arie Grey: “His focus level this week was unbelievable,” Grey said of Mellott, who has committed to play at Montana State. “He played so hard, and everybody played hard. Every guy that was out there on that field brought something to the game. That’s what I’m proud of. Every single person had a major role in what we did.”

That’s Arie Grey sounding just like Arie Grey.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by The Big Meowski » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:01 pm

tdub wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:28 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 pm
Butte won 55-28, but I haven't seen any details. I imagine Mellot had a big first half and might've sat out a lot of the second half. I heard Jaxon Lee had a good first half for Sentinel vs. Capital. 88 yards rushing and 20 receiving at halftime.
Score was 41-13 at half. Mellot only came out the last series of the game. Just a very strange, slow second half. Rainy night, lots of penalties, and just kinda ugly. Glacier got torched over the top at least on 3 of those touchdowns if not more. Glacier’s defense is not very good. Couple of good players, but not a good unit. Butte simply looked bigger, stronger, faster.
I was there too and was under the impression that Glacier was going to give the Bulldogs a bunch of grief. I wish you could have seen Mellot on a dry surface. Looking forward to the Butte/Sentinal matchup on Thursday.

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:13 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:27 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:24 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:19 am
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47740

Week 2 is up!

man... that Eiden kid from Bozeman is just a beast. Vim, what do you think the chances are of the cats getting this guy?
I'm fairly confident he'll be a Bobcat if a Power 5 FBS school doesn't offer. His father played for the Cats. Loves the program.
[url][/

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:13 am
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Week 2 is up!

man... that Eiden kid from Bozeman is just a beast. Vim, what do you think the chances are of the cats getting this guy?
I'm fairly confident he'll be a Bobcat if a Power 5 FBS school doesn't offer. His father played for the Cats. Loves the program.
[url][/
So much for winning the FCS battle with full COE schools

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:28 am

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Week 2 is up!

[url][/
I don’t get it....did he commit?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:36 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:28 am
Montanabob wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Week 2 is up!

[url][/
No.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:36 am

No they just had him out for a visit on the weekend they played the highest ranked BSC team. He is only a junior. Pretty ballsy for them to pursue him though. If the roles where reversed, heritage player, lives in Fargo... I would say no shot.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:36 am
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:28 am
Montanabob wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Week 2 is up!

[url][/
No.
South Dakota State also already had him on a visit.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
No they just had him out for a visit on the weekend they played the highest ranked BSC team. He is only a junior. Pretty ballsy for them to pursue him though. If the roles where reversed, heritage player, lives in Fargo... I would say no shot.
Why is it ballsy? They're the best team in the FCS. They've gotten other schools legacy players before. It's not a stretch to say that in the FCS, they essentially pick and choose who they get.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:49 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Why is it ballsy? They're the best team in the FCS. They've gotten other schools legacy players before. It's not a stretch to say that in the FCS, they essentially pick and choose who they get.
They recruited Sulser the same way.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:01 pm

I know he's a 2021 recruit, but Elijah Reynolds of Red Lodge got an offer. Not sure if it's a full ride or partial.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:42 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:01 pm
I know he's a 2021 recruit, but Elijah Reynolds of Red Lodge got an offer. Not sure if it's a full ride or partial.
If you dig up my "Montana Recruits 2021" page, Elijah is on the early list. Loaded class next year. Elijah is dominating at TE this year.

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Oops... #-o

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:55 pm

StatedImprovement wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:52 pm
Oops... #-o
Such a d-bag. Go clog up Ejizz with your drivel

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Vim,
Lots of nice sized OL out there. I have seen Grimsrud from Huntley , Haffey from Loyola, and Harding from Miles City all play. Granted it was one game each, but I thouight the Harding kid was very impressive and he seems to fit the mold of what Coach Armstrong and Choate are looking for. Big frame, moves well, tough ranch kid. I would take Haffey over Grimsrud, but that is more of a gut feeling. Your thoughts on these and other lineman with the potential to play at the FCS level?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:57 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:19 pm
Vim,
Lots of nice sized OL out there. I have seen Grimsrud from Huntley , Haffey from Loyola, and Harding from Miles City all play. Granted it was one game each, but I thouight the Harding kid was very impressive and he seems to fit the mold of what Coach Armstrong and Choate are looking for. Big frame, moves well, tough ranch kid. I would take Haffey over Grimsrud, but that is more of a gut feeling. Your thoughts on these and other lineman with the potential to play at the FCS level?

Versatile Lineman (kids who can develop at four positions across the o-line)

Conor Reitler (Billings Skyview) - Conor is the most college ready lineman in this class and has surpassed Max Anderson based off what I've seen. Conor isn't going to be a left tackle but he could easily be a three year starter at right tackle if he continues on the path he's on. He's improved his footwork, strength, and technique his senior season and consistently competes against top competition in AA. For a player comp., I see Conor as a mix between former Bobcat Kyle Godecke and current Bobcat Connor Wood.

Max Anderson (Kalispell Flathead) - Max moved to left tackle this year and its been a process for him. Quite frankly, I think Flathead was better off leaving him at center where he was All-State in 2018. Max is a kid that started at right tackle his sophomore year, moved to center for his junior year, and now man's the left side for his final year. This tells me that the coaches know he can handle position flexibility which will be vitally important for his recruitment going forward. For a player comp., I see former Bobcat Joel Horn.

Aaron Richards (Butte Central) - Aaron plays right tackle for Butte Central while also handling interior defensive line duties. He's up to 280 and is a very strong football player. However, there is a ton of technique to get cleaned up before he's ready to compete at the next level. But Aaron is 6'4", 280 lbs., people mover who has a bright future if he cleans up his technique at the next level.

Liam Haffey (Missoula Loyola) - Liam is one of the more intriguing prospects in this entire class. He plays left tackle for Loyola and may be the best overall athlete of any of offensive lineman in-state. Liam is a solid basketball player and it shows on film when he makes a tough block or gets his hand up to block a pass on defense. He'll even fly down the field on punts to make a tackle. One major thing with Liam is his consistency. He'll flash greatness on one play than make you scratch your head the next. It may take some time to find his position on the offensive line at the next level but he flashes. He still plays too high but he's got great feet/athleticism. I see offensive tackle (left or right) before I would classify him as an interior player. I don't see him as a fit on the defensive line in college.

Mason Harding (Miles City) - He has super-flexibility to develop at any position on the offensive and defensive line (with the exception of Buck) so I think he should be given an offer. No other player in this class can honestly have that designation in my opinion. Like Liam, it may just take some time to figure out where Mason fits/develops.

Kasee Henderson (Havre) - Kasee is a kid who is finally growing into his large frame, specifically his lower body. He's improved his technique and athleticism since his junior year as he's simply moving around the field better and with a purpose. Kasee's length/size combo jumps out on film immediately. There's still a lot of work to be done but if he continues to develop, Kasee's ceiling may be former Griz, Sidney star Terron Hillesland.

Derek Nygaard (Jefferson) - Derek transitioned from being a 6'5", 260 lb. QB in 2018 to being a 6'5", 260 lb. left tackle in 2019. He also plays defensive end for the Panthers. His arms hang down below his hips. He's got good athleticism. He plays with a mean streak. Derek is pretty raw at playing offensive line but the tools are all there. Curious to see what happens after his season is over.

Interior Lineman Only

Journey Grimsrud (Huntley Project) - Journey picked up where he left off last year as the main "move" guard in HP's scheme. He moves well and has a good feel for the interior of the offensive line in both pass and run blocking. I think he could fit multiple schemes but would prefer him in a gap scheme. Journey will likely play along the interior only in college for the Griz. However, Journey has been very good on the interior of the defensive line for Huntley this year. Actually, he is making a push to be the best defensive lineman in this class over players like Aaron Richards and Trey Yates. For a quick highlight, follow this link (https://www.hudl.com/profile/10590061/J ... rud/videos), find the Red Lodge tape from this year, and go to :35.

Jaden Bienvenue (Billings West) - For my money, Jaden has been the best offensive guard in the state this fall and it isn't really close. He's gotten bigger and better his senior season and it shows on film every game. Jaden puts a lot of kids in the dirt every Friday. He's tough and nasty in the trenches. Overall size may be a knock on him but I would give him a shot to compete.

Brandon Spencer (Missoula Sentinel) - I don't know what I was thinking back in August but I underrated Brandon Spencer. He's listed at 6'2", 315 lbs. and can move for a big fella. He primarily plays center for the Spartans and mixes in on the defensive line. If you want to get a developmental center prospect out of Montana, go give Brandon a call. Sure...there are some athletic limitations but you can wash that out on the interior of the offensive line if you play with good intensity, understand your blocking assignments, and get to your spot consistently. Brandon does all that.

Tom Walkup (Bozeman) - Much like Brandon, I wasn't a big believe in Tom's athleticism (despite his wide frame) to be competitive at the FCS level. Also much like Brandon, Thomas has been changing my mind with every game his senior season. He moved out to left tackle from left guard his senior season and Thomas looks in much better shape and more athletic than his junior year. I knew Thomas was a state qualifying wrestler but he just looks like a different lineman his senior season.

Francis Werk (Malta) - He's still one of the biggest line prospects in this class and can move opponents with ease when he gets them locked up. However, Francis struggles with any type of speed or athleticism from opposing lineman and his feet/lack of technique don't catch up very quickly. This is why I think he's only an interior OL prospect. But like I stated in the first sentence, Francis is big and you can't teach 6'6", 280 lbs. Get him in a program for a year and see what you got at the end.

Cole Dalager (Kalispell Flathead) - Cole is THE biggest lineman in this class standing at about 6'5', 295 lbs. He kicked out to right tackle from right guard his senior season and he's been competitive there. I still see him as an interior only player at the next level as Cole has some movement limitations which would hinder him at right tackle. Like I stated earlier, its hard to find Cole's size from in-state lineman as of late so I'll be curious to see if he gets a shot at the FCS level.

Offensive Tackle Only

Konor McClafferty (Butte) - The staple left tackle for Butte's offensive attack has continued to get bigger and better his senior season. He's the best left tackle prospect in this class. However, he doesn't have as much position flexibility as some so he literally has to be good at left or right tackle to retain his value at the next level. But Konor definitely has the length, frame, and "want-to" offensive line coaches crave from a high school prospect.

Bo Hakert (Billings Central) - Bo plays left tackle for the Rams. He's built similarly to Konor McClafferty only not quite as talented. Bo's lower body is very long and causes him to play too high. But much like any Billings Central offensive lineman, Bo plays hard and physical at the point of attack. Some developmental tools to work with if a coach wants to recruit Bo.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:47 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Really bummed about that. I like him as a prospect, a lot.