Black Flag Games

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Black Flag Games

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:40 am

So it was posted on egriz that Bob uses a little motivational tactic on games he considers "big" games where he places a black pirate flag in the locker room. While I have no problems with cute little things like this to try and fire up your guys, I found one part pretty interesting.

Former player Andrew Schmidt tweeted this week that he suspects there game against Idaho St will (for whatever reason) be a black flag game. Apparently his guys need to really get up for this one. The part I found especially interesting was that Andrew said that these games the players were to do whatever necessary to get the win and that class during these games was "more or less out the window".

I recall many games during the last stint with Bob where class appeared to be out the window. Particularly brawl games. Jumping on top of the piles, late hits, etc. Many of us called foul and labeled these teams classless. Of course we were labeled babies, whiners and were making stuff up. Bobby's team always played with class and respect I was told.

It appears we were correct all along. Not that this is earth-shattering news on this side of the divide. But it's nice hearing from a former griz player validating what we already knew.

As a fan I just love this kind of stuff. I love the rivalry. As long as our guys stay healthy facing a team that will do anything to win I'm all for it. Just something I found interesting this week.

On a side note I'd love to hear from Griz fans why on earth this game would be a "black flag" game if Schmidt is correct? :-k

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Black Flag Games

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 am

:lol:

The Griz and all their flags...weak. Rainbows, unicorns and butterflies.

“Look at us everyone!! We’re waving our flags and kicking our feet really high into the air! Weee!!”

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:50 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 am
:lol:

The Griz and all their flags...weak. Rainbows, unicorns and butterflies.

“Look at us everyone!! We’re waving our flags and kicking our feet really high into the air! Weee!!”
Hey easy with the trash talk! If word gets out than their savior might just make their game against us a "black flag" game! I shudder at the thought!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:12 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:40 am
So it was posted on egriz that Bob uses a little motivational tactic on games he considers "big" games where he places a black pirate flag in the locker room. While I have no problems with cute little things like this to try and fire up your guys, I found one part pretty interesting.

Former player Andrew Schmidt tweeted this week that he suspects there game against Idaho St will (for whatever reason) be a black flag game. Apparently his guys need to really get up for this one. The part I found especially interesting was that Andrew said that these games the players were to do whatever necessary to get the win and that class during these games was "more or less out the window".

I recall many games during the last stint with Bob where class appeared to be out the window. Particularly brawl games. Jumping on top of the piles, late hits, etc. Many of us called foul and labeled these teams classless. Of course we were labeled babies, whiners and were making stuff up. Bobby's team always played with class and respect I was told.

It appears we were correct all along. Not that this is earth-shattering news on this side of the divide. But it's nice hearing from a former griz player validating what we already knew.

As a fan I just love this kind of stuff. I love the rivalry. As long as our guys stay healthy facing a team that will do anything to win I'm all for it. Just something I found interesting this week.

On a side note I'd love to hear from Griz fans why on earth this game would be a "black flag" game if Schmidt is correct? :-k
Wasn’t there a war of words with the ISU staff? I can’t recall the specifics, but two of them are former UM guys. Phenecie was the OC at Montana and UNLV and Ferriter was on the UM staff for some time.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:44 pm

Ya I recall something like that. Just seemed like there would need to be more to be a “black flag” game. I never thought I’d see the day that the mighty griz marked the Idaho state game on their calendars.

But I get it. Ever since their coach who wants nothing more than to be Bobby decided to take his last timeout against the Cats a couple years ago; and instead of you know....coaching, decided to start an FTC chant with his boys.... he’s an idiot. They went ahead and went 3 and out if I recall and Cats won.

We need to get Coop out of their ASAP.

I hope they win Saturday but they’re terrible. Play like they’re coached. Like father like son....

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:27 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:44 pm
Ya I recall something like that. Just seemed like there would need to be more to be a “black flag” game. I never thought I’d see the day that the mighty griz marked the Idaho state game on their calendars.

But I get it. Ever since their coach who wants nothing more than to be Bobby decided to take his last timeout against the Cats a couple years ago; and instead of you know....coaching, decided to start an FTC chant with his boys.... he’s an idiot. They went ahead and went 3 and out if I recall and Cats won.

We need to get Coop out of their ASAP.

I hope they win Saturday but they’re terrible. Play like they’re coached. Like father like son....
👏👏👏

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

I am guessing they are paying attention to a few things :

- this ISU team beat the Cats last year and have a lot of players back
- they got to 6 wins last year
- their QB is leading the Big Sky in QB rating
- their D is top 3 in Big Sky only giving up 20 pts per game
- their D is top 10 in entire country in red zone points
- a bunch of the coaches all know each other well so probably not a lot of surprises
- Griz just routed the #4 team in country and coaches want to make sure players don’t get too far ahead of themselves

I actually think it will be a pretty good game with Griz pulling away in 2nd half.

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:34 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

I think it’s because of their coaches. If we lose to ISU a bunch of fans will wish we had hired Phenicie. Hauck’s record will only be 10-7 since he returned if we lose and Phenicie will be 9-7 over the same timeframe. Looks kinda bad to be that close considering the huge advantages we have.

But we’ll wipe them out. Haven’t ever lost to them at WGS. 32-3 all time.

Go Dark Brandon!!

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

I am guessing they are paying attention to a few things :

- this ISU team beat the Cats last year and have a lot of players back
- they got to 6 wins last year
- their QB is leading the Big Sky in QB rating
- their D is top 3 in Big Sky only giving up 20 pts per game
- their D is top 10 in entire country in red zone points
- a bunch of the coaches all know each other well so probably not a lot of surprises
- Griz just routed the #4 team in country and coaches want to make sure players don’t get too far ahead of themselves

I actually think it will be a pretty good game with Griz pulling away in 2nd half.
Yep nailed it