um enrollment

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

um enrollment

Post by autocat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:31 pm

According to the Billings Gazette, " university of Montana enrollment dropped again this past year, from 5.2% to 8.5% depending on the way um counts students."

"um enrollment counted by the old method dropped 33.5% from 2011 to 2018" :shock:

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: um enrollment

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Nobody really publicly counts by the “new” method. That’s just a red herring to try to make the -8.5% not look so bad.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:10 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:55 pm
Nobody really publicly counts by the “new” method. That’s just a red herring to try to make the -8.5% not look so bad.
The "new math" taught ccum style.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:23 am

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:48 pm

This is hard to understand. I realize that this $2 million upgrade is from private funding, but given the state of UM enrollment and finances, this seems to be a bad time for such a project.

https://mtstandard.com/sports/college/b ... eeb99.html

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:48 pm
This is hard to understand. I realize that this $2 million upgrade is from private funding, but given the state of UM enrollment and finances, this seems to be a bad time for such a project.

Don't really expect any academic upgrades. There are no students left.

Yes, this is ludicrous. Just more proof what is important at the city college. They must be so proud.

msubobcats@outlook.com

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:52 am

they are hanging on to the myth that great sports teams boost enrollment. when you have nothing academically to offer you need hang your hat on shiny and opulent rooms for athletes.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:55 am

RickRund wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Yes, this is ludicrous. Just more proof what is important at the city college. They must be so proud.
What truly is ludicrous is that a portion of MSU's success ($$$) is redistributed back into the Montana University System (MUS) and thus supporting the failing Missoula County Community college WHILE these types of things are taking place (yes - I know it is privately funded). The BOR also desires to use some of MSU's techniques, like recruiting, to help all MUS programs grow. Little brother over the hill is leaching off THE Flagship school...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:05 am

hokeyfine wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:52 am
they are hanging on to the myth that great sports teams boost enrollment. when you have nothing academically to offer you need hang your hat on shiny and opulent rooms for athletes.
Great sports teams are doing less and less for driving enrollment. Attendance at games is waning nationally.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:34 am

MSU Toddler wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:55 am
RickRund wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 pm
Cataholic wrote:

What truly is ludicrous is that a portion of MSU's success ($$$) is redistributed back into the Montana University System (MUS) and thus supporting the failing Missoula County Community college WHILE these types of things are taking place (yes - I know it is privately funded). The BOR also desires to use some of MSU's techniques, like recruiting, to help all MUS programs grow. Little brother over the hill is leaching off THE Flagship school...
Yeah, I can't remember where that was reported but it pissed me off a bit. It's one thing to help them out a bit. It's an entirely different thing that the regents throw good money after bad while um chases shiny things.

I hope the regents don't continue forcing MSU to prop up those turds for a prolonged period of time. I doubt theyhave enough spine to make a tough decision.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Well, they could renovate classroom or dorm space into athletics-used spaces. They obviously have no use for them.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:46 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 pm
Well, they could renovate classroom or dorm space into athletics-used spaces. They obviously have no use for them.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Their new athletic facility is funded by private donations. Our new engineering building is funded by private donations.

QED

GO CATS!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:52 pm
Their new athletic facility is funded by private donations. Our new engineering building is funded by private donations.

QED

GO CATS!!!
Upon board approval, the UM athletic facility was borrowing about $5 million. Aside from Washington Group funds, only $2 million private funds were raised. I’d be surprised if the same donors that only chipped in $2 million came up with $5 million more in that short period.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 am

In light of all the enrollment challenges UM is experiencing, does anyone else find it interesting that a big chunk of student playoff tickets are being funded by the Enrollment Office? It seems to me they would have more pressing needs with their limited budget.

Maybe I'm way off base here....thoughts?

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:27 am

I mean, is anyone really surprised? They seem to be following the George Costanza model of decision making over there in Missoula - every decision they make is the polar opposite of the correct decision. I'm sure they don't have the self awareness to realize what a stupid thing this is given all the problems at the school. I think a team of drunk monkeys could do a better job leading that place than the current administration.

GO CATS GO!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:37 am

That is just crazy. I am amazed that the Missoulian (or any of liberal programs/organizations at UM) has not been critical of the move. But then again, the UM game will sell a number of advertisements and papers with a “game day” section.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:19 am

Ran into a lady here in CDA that was a griz grad, had lived/worked in Seattle then retired here. She really likes the hire of Bodnar... She said he is gorgeous. Really important quality on the resume #-o

msubobcats@outlook.com

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:45 am

I don't know. I think of it as advertising/marketing. MSU is doing the same thing, although it's different departments doing it. Say they're giving away 2,000 tickets and the school is paying for 500 of them - $2,500? That's not much in terms of buying ads.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:46 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 am
In light of all the enrollment challenges UM is experiencing, does anyone else find it interesting that a big chunk of student playoff tickets are being funded by the Enrollment Office? It seems to me they would have more pressing needs with their limited budget.

Maybe I'm way off base here....thoughts?

You're off base. By doing this they'll be able to brag about having higher attendance than the Cats. Higher attendance means they are better. Being better at football is priority number one. If you can't do it on the field, do it with attendance. It's the true measure of a championship team.

UM is doing exactly what they should be with enrollment office funds.