Final Farewell to Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Final Farewell to Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:22 am

Rumors have persisted for years that Joe Albi was coming down, usually due to plans for real estate development. The stadium, originally a stock car track, has been used as a home field by Washington State and Eastern Washington, hosted NFL perseason games and thousands of high school "Friday night lights". The Bobcats played there several times.
Spokane recently passed a bond to tear it down and replace it with a new, more modern facility, but much smaller stadium to host high school football teams. Albi peaked at around 29,000, but renovations over the years reduced it something like 23,000. The new stadium will hold 5-7,000 fans and is due to be completed by the 2021 season

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Final Farewell to Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane

Post by allcat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 am

Joe Albi was a better stadium to watch a game than Roos. I can see why they want to play there, but Roos sucks.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:16 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 am
Joe Albi was a better stadium to watch a game than Roos. I can see why they want to play there, but Roos sucks.
Interesting to see if Eastern can pull off their latest fund raiser. Have the schools OK to ask the public to donate $25,000,000. Included on the remodel docket are to replace the red carpet with another red carpet :shock: and some heavy duty overhaul of the visitors seating. Plan is to turn the current press box into suites and build a new box over the visitors seating.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:17 pm

I think it was 1980 that I was on a booster bus to Spokane to watch the CATS. Wish I hadn't over indulged in too many adult beverages.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Had a cameo in Vision Quest

tdub

Post by tdub » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:09 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:54 pm
Had a cameo in Vision Quest
I never knew that was Albi! As a wrestler, one of my favorite movies.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 am

RickRund wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:17 pm
I think it was 1980 that I was on a booster bus to Spokane to watch the CATS. Wish I hadn't over indulged in too many adult beverages.
Wow, you must have been bad. That was close to 40 years ago. :shock:

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:24 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 am
RickRund wrote:
HI allcat, I thought I remembered seeing you there... :wink: It was 1981 opener...MSU vs. a decent Washington State team. The Bobcats had a good football team going in. At the time I believed this to be the biggest contest in Bobcat history. They had never played anyone like a PAC 10 team, and most of us were "apprehensive". The Cats played well, pretty much stood toe-to-toe although it was clear WSU had more talent. The Cougs did take a lead and their coach, Jim Walden, tried to put on the brakes. But funny thing, the Cats ones were better than the Cougs twos and hung tough. Final score..WSU 33 Cats 21. During the game WSU DB Paul Sorenson ran back a punt, crashed into the sideline and badly broke Bobcat coach Sonny Lubick's leg. Butte Tough Sonny stayed on the sideline, on his feet and finished the game. He spent a lot of the remaining season on crutches. The following week the Cats beat Fresno State, but down stream they lost by eight to Weber, ten to Boise State, Six to NAU, ten to the griz, beat Idaho but were blown out by Idaho State and Nevada. Sonny was asked to leave....

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:24 pm
allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
HI allcat, I thought I remembered seeing you there... :wink: It was 1981 opener...MSU vs. a decent Washington State team. The Bobcats had a good football team going in. At the time I believed this to be the biggest contest in Bobcat history. They had never played anyone like a PAC 10 team, and most of us were "apprehensive". The Cats played well, pretty much stood toe-to-toe although it was clear WSU had more talent. The Cougs did take a lead and their coach, Jim Walden, tried to put on the brakes. But funny thing, the Cats ones were better than the Cougs twos and hung tough. Final score..WSU 33 Cats 21. During the game WSU DB Paul Sorenson ran back a punt, crashed into the sideline and badly broke Bobcat coach Sonny Lubick's leg. Butte Tough Sonny stayed on the sideline, on his feet and finished the game. He spent a lot of the remaining season on crutches. The following week the Cats beat Fresno State, but down stream they lost by eight to Weber, ten to Boise State, Six to NAU, ten to the griz, beat Idaho but were blown out by Idaho State and Nevada. Sonny was asked to leave....
So it was 81... Thanks

msubobcats@outlook.com

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:19 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
So it was 81... Thanks
ooops.....yep

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:38 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:19 pm
RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
So it was 81... Thanks
ooops.....yep
Just another sign that age is slowly winning. :-^

msubobcats@outlook.com