Hey refs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Hey refs

Post by MSU01 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:19 pm

See those two little clocks at each end of the field that start counting down from 25 before each play? Just a suggestion, but how about having at least one out of the 7 referees on the field WATCH THE CLOCK!!!

The bunch of morons we had out there today (same crew from UM/ISU game) should never be allowed to officiate a BSC game again. I try not to criticize refs for missing "judgment calls" but to miss two clear delay of game penalties in very crucial situations is absolutely inexcusable. Fullerton needs to sign up some Midget Football refs or something, it would be an improvement.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:21 pm

I've heard these were the same from the Griz game of a week ago. They are horrible!

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:25 pm

If there was a technical foul in football, Kramer definitely would have had one (or two). His assistants had to pull him away from the ref-(might have been the best defensive play of the game!)

It wasn't that the clock ran out-but another 3 or 4 seconds passed before the ball was snapped. It wasn't even close on either play!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:26 pm

I know...I'm used to seeing the refs give the offense the benefit of the doubt when it's very close, but those two were absolutely ridiculous. The back judge or whoever is supposed to be watching that should be fired immediately. You'd think after almost getting beat down by Kramer and having 12,000 fans boo them very loudly, they'd watch for it the next time!!! Sheesh. Pathetic.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:39 pm

These refs are a joke. Fullerton the Moron came out a couple days ago and admitted that the refs blew ONE call in the UM/ISU game. Are you kidding me?!?! I watched that game on tape after the fact, and I was appalled at some of the calls that were made. The problem isn't the refs (well, it is, but...) the bigger problem is the fact that Fullerton won't hold them accountable for their ****** performance.

C'mon, Cat fans, let's give the Big Sky some feedback and let them know that we will not continue to accept this poor refereeing!!!

http://bigskyconf.com/feedback.asp

And, to Doug Toole, director of Big Sky football officials: http://www.bigskyconf.com/article.asp?articleid=2393

GO CATS GO!!!

CatfaninGA
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatfaninGA » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:41 pm

These refs will be suspended after 2 straight games blowing calls.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:58 pm

They just got my "feedback". [-X

I wonder if the people who review the game tapes will have access to an angle with a shot of the play clock...hopefully they do.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:56 pm

CatfaninGA wrote:These refs will be suspended after 2 straight games blowing calls.
Sadly, don't count on it. Hell, Fullerton will probably give them a raise. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

GO CATS GO!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:28 am

I gave them my two cents.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:31 am

Not only did they blow the two delay of game non-calls, but there was the non-interception that Force made off of the PSU receivers feet. I'll have to wait to make my judgement when I see the Omega replay, but it looked like an INT live, and the replay on the scoreboard sure looked like it too.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:32 am

I just sent a request that the time-keeping official be terminated immediately. HOW CAN YOU BLOW THIS CALL; IT'S THE SIMPLEST THING A REF IS PAID TO DO ON THE FIELD. I stated that although termination may seem a little harsh, it may be the only way to "get the attention" of the rest of the officiating pool...

I also asked them to review the EWU/UM game film & tell me why one of the most obvious pass interference violations I've ever seen was not called by an official not more than 10 feet away. CTOWM, I'm curious to hear your take on that play late in the game, with Eastern down 3, when the EWU qb launches a pass into the right corner of the endzone. The Griz defender A) CLEARLY does not turn to look at the ball, B) CLEARLY waves his arms in front of the Eastern receivers view, C) CLEARLY makes significant contact with Eastern receiver, and D) CLEARLY prevents the Eastern receiver from making an adjustment to try & catch the pass.

Please don't poo-poo this by saying Eastern got inside the 10 despite this non-call. The fact is, it would have been first & goal at about the 8 yard line, Eastern with 2 timeouts, and significantly more time on the clock. None of us can say what happens from there, but it would obviously have been a different outcome than what DID take place afterward.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 am

Don't forget the numerous late hits the refs refused to call. Portland State was the dirtiest bunch of thugs we have played this year, no small feat considering we already played ISU.

GO CATS GO!!!

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:20 pm

elgato, since you saw the UM/EWU game I assume you caught the PI's on Talmage and Heidleburger as well. For the most part it seemed the refs of this game were also letting a lot of holdings go on both sides of the ball. At least they were consistant with not calling a lot of holding. And it seemed they were fairly consistant with close calls on PI too.
Not sure why they didn't call PI on the play you are talking about eg, but if I had to guess I'd say because our DB hit the ball.

As far as the play clock calls. I'm 99% sure the UM/ISU game was one that they missed on of these on the Griz too. I know the no call was bad, but I'm just not 100% sure it was the ISU game. The Griz were punting out of their own endzone and time expired on the play clock on the scoreboard but no flag was thrown. The officials don't use the scoreboard clock so maybe their clock was enough different that when the scoreboard clock hit 0 their own clock was still at 1 or 2 seconds. Anyway, it seemed like it should have been a penalty. It probably wouldn't have hurt the Griz even if it was called because the penalty would have amounted to a yard or two.

Just wondering if the bad calls in the MSU/PSU game were both ways. I don't think I've seen anyone say anything about missed or bad calls that would have been against the cats?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:51 pm

I would have to watch the game tape, but I think the refs were pretty even in their bad calls other than the two horrible missed delay penalties. On the Force INT play people are talking about, I thought from both watching the play live and on the replays that the ball hit the ground between the WR's legs before bouncing up and being caught, but I could certainly be wrong there! Will probably need to see the Omega replay on Fri. to get a good look at it.

The Griz/EWU play looked pretty borderline, from what the refs were letting go earlier in the game I didn't think it was that bad of a non-call although it certainly could've been called.
Last edited by MSU01 on Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:17 pm

Like I mentioned in another post, I was in a bar full of griz alumni, including many members of the 2001 National Championshiop team. After that no call on the PI, everyone in the bar was hush-hush and quietly looking at each other and murmuring "we got a gift there".

Whose to say that it makes a difference, we can only speculate. What a great country!!

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:52 pm

El_Gato wrote:...
I also asked them to review the EWU/UM game film & tell me why one of the most obvious pass interference violations I've ever seen was not called by an official not more than 10 feet away. CTOWM, I'm curious to hear your take on that play late in the game
That was certainly a questionable non-call. As JahGriz mentioned, it seemed as though the refs weren't calling a lot throughout the game and they were "letting them play", as it were. The db did hit the ball, which I could be wrong, but I believe takes away the face guarding and possibly more.

When the play happened I held my breath and waited to see if there was a flag. Breathed a sigh of relief afterwards. I would most definitely say it was a fortuitous non-call.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

DaGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by DaGriz » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:38 pm

I also asked them to review the EWU/UM game film & tell me why one of the most obvious pass interference violations I've ever seen was not called by an official not more than 10 feet away
I think we got a gift on that one. Even the announcers on the tube said that was not a great call. Every game has a few questionable calls. This crew did a decent job though. No game is perfect. It was the refs from last week that were just horrible and that was for both sides. I think we went from 13 penalties to 3 in one week.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:23 pm

If you watch the film, you'll see that the Griz defender DID NOT touch the football and even if he did, the faceguarding rule (aka pass interference, I don't believe they actually call it faceguarding) still applies; it is in the book specifically to PREVENT what the Griz defender did. If not, DB's would simple "shield" the receiver from the ball all the time and you don't see that happening.

The old "they were calling the game loose before that infraction" argument holds no water with me, either. A FOUL IS A FOUL. I don't care if they let 20 calls go earlier in the game; do you think the ref is standing there thinking "well, i know that was a penalty but since we didn't call some earlier, I'm not going to call this one..." That's just BS. It's just another example of the REFEREES significantly affecting the outcome of the game rather than the PLAYERS & the RULES.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:32 pm

E

Are you that Naive, did you bother reading any of the above posts?

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:53 pm

DaGriz wrote:
I also asked them to review the EWU/UM game film & tell me why one of the most obvious pass interference violations I've ever seen was not called by an official not more than 10 feet away
I think we got a gift on that one. Even the announcers on the tube said that was not a great call. Every game has a few questionable calls. This crew did a decent job though. No game is perfect. It was the refs from last week that were just horrible and that was for both sides. I think we went from 13 penalties to 3 in one week.
Yep, I think you got a gift on that one. Definate FACE SHIELDING. But, if they don't call it they don't call it I guess. YOu have to come to expect this from the Big Sky crews these past few years.