Billings West FS/WR Connor Ryan Commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Billings West FS/WR Connor Ryan Commits

Post by iaafan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:22 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:15 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:00 am
I think Ryan’s the best player in the state not named Eiden.

Those highlights are the first I have seen of him, very impressive!!! not only does he have some wheels, but he also looks to have pretty good size.
That’s just it. Size and speed. He’s got it all.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:23 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:04 am
iaafan wrote:
Based off one game? I agree that Connor has a chance to have a breakout year his senior season.

And sorry but its clearly Carson Rostad.
You don’t really think Rostand is better than Eiden, do you? Or are you just talking this year's class?

Rostad looks good over the course of a season, but I tend to look at individual games. Last year he didn’t look all that good against Billings Central. He’s not super athletic. If you’re playing A ball you need to dominate at all times to end up as a D1 QB. He’s off to another good start, but let’s see how he does when the playoffs roll around. That’s not to say A doesn’t have as good of players, but A team competition isn’t close to AA. It’s not like basketball where A teams regularly beat AA teams. Team-wise there’s a big drop from AA to A. It’s be interesting to see how he’d do in AA. His early commit tells me P5s were showing no interest.

I tend to like athletes and OL/DL when I look at Montana players. You just don’t see a lot of quarterbacks out of Montana playing at UM and MSU, especially non-AA.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:57 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:23 am
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Based off one game? I agree that Connor has a chance to have a breakout year his senior season.

You don’t really think Rostand is better than Eiden, do you? Or are you just talking this year's class?

Rostad looks good over the course of a season, but I tend to look at individual games. Last year he didn’t look all that good against Billings Central. He’s not super athletic. If you’re playing A ball you need to dominate at all times to end up as a D1 QB. He’s off to another good start, but let’s see how he does when the playoffs roll around. That’s not to say A doesn’t have as good of players, but A team competition isn’t close to AA. It’s not like basketball where A teams regularly beat AA teams. Team-wise there’s a big drop from AA to A. It’s be interesting to see how he’d do in AA. His early commit tells me P5s were showing no interest.

I tend to like athletes and OL/DL when I look at Montana players. You just don’t see a lot of quarterbacks out of Montana playing at UM and MSU, especially non-AA.
Something tells me that if he was committed to MSU you'd be saying different things about Rostad.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:09 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:57 am
iaafan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Something tells me that if he was committed to MSU you'd be saying different things about Rostad.
I’d said similar things about Keaton Anderson, Dalton Daum, Gilman, Rovig and other players people have been projecting too high imo. I’ve been wrong a lot, too. It’s not like I just said he wasn’t good. I’m giving you my rationale. I’m not ruling him out, but just watch his tape. He’s not that mobile. His receivers get wide open a lot. He’s good, but I think if he’s playing AA ball you’d get a better perspective of him and imo he’d be good, but his production would drop off.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:41 am

iaafan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Nope. Kenneth is absolutely the best football player in the state right now. Agree with you there 100%.

I'm not going to get in an argument with you regarding Rostad because you are entitled to your opinion. But here are my thoughts on some of your statements:

"Rostad looks good over the course of a season, but I tend to look at individual games. Last year he didn’t look all that good against Billings Central."

I don't know what you think I do on here...but I 100% look at individual games against quality opponents as a major part in my ranking process. You singled out one game against Billings Central in the title game last year as a "down game" for Carson but he battled his ass off against one of the best defenses in the state at any level last year. Final stats in that game were 18/39 for 186 yards and 2 TDS/0 INTS along with 9 rushes for 55 yards and another touchdown on the ground. If that's his worst game, there sure is a standard he set in games prior.

Actually, here were his stats against quality opponents and defenses with good athletes:

Butte Central - 15/22 for 263 yards and 3 TDs/0 INTs; 4 carries for 13 yards and 1 TD
Frenchtown - 24/38 for 237 yards and 4 TDs/0 INTs; 21 carries for 210 yards and 2 TDs
Dillon (Conference Title Game) - 22/29 for 237 yards and 4 TDs/0 INTs; 12 carries for 144 yards and 1 TD
Miles City (Quarterfinals) - 19/25 for 272 yards and 4 TDs/0 INTs; 9 carries for 32 yards and 2 TDs
Columbia Falls (Seminfinals) - 19/34 for 220 yards and 4 TDs/1 INT; 17 carries for 66 yards and 2 TDs
BCC (Championship) - 18/39 for 186 yards and 2 TDs/0 INT; 9 carries for 55 yards and 1 TD

And if you include his BCC game from last year than you also need to include his semifinal performance against BCC the year before, a 35-28 win where he against accounted for 3 touchdowns and another 250 yards through the air. He had a tough game against Columbia Falls in the title game that year also then rebounded by beating them in the semifinals in 2018.

"He’s not super athletic."

He's 6'2" and up to about 220 lbs. this year and he has a knack for making plays with his feet. He also makes throws rolling to his left or right at an accurate clip which takes a great amount of athleticism. These plays are littered all over his tape. He's a physical runner and makes throws from several different arm angles and styles. For a QB prospect, he is super athletic and makes all the throws.

"If you’re playing A ball you need to dominate at all times to end up as a D1 QB. He’s off to another good start, but let’s see how he does when the playoffs roll around. That’s not to say A doesn’t have as good of players, but A team competition isn’t close to AA. It’s not like basketball where A teams regularly beat AA teams. Team-wise there’s a big drop from AA to A. It’s be interesting to see how he’d do in AA."

His career passing averages for individual game performance are as follows:

Passing - 18/30 for 251 passing yards and 3.4 TD/.52 INT (86 TD/13 INT career)

He's also ran the ball at a 6 yard per rush average, producing 20 rushing touchdowns since his sophomore year. Not dominant? For his career, he has almost averaged 4 passing touchdowns/1 rushing touchdown per game! If that isn't dominant, I don't know what is. And as I described above, he was doing that against the best defenses in Class A. To boot, he rarely turns the football over.

I say with good confidence the top Class A teams each year (lets say Top 6) would easily compete in AA (especially with the bottom 6 in AA each year). It would be interesting to see how Carson would do in AA. Actually, if Carson played for Missoula Sentinel, Bozeman, Billings Senior, and Kalispell Glacier (four teams with excellent offensive minds), he would have a very good shot at breaking every AA single season record because of his skill set.

"His early commit tells me P5s were showing no interest."

This is incorrect. He declined invites to Stanford and Oregon State individual camps this summer as those Pac-12 teams were showing interest, specifically in the PWO range. Carson decided to take the full-ride close to home so his family could watch him play and get a free education. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Simply put, Stanford doesn't just send out camp invites to any athlete. Carson checks a lot of boxes as a QB prospect and student (4.0 GPA).

"I tend to like athletes and OL/DL when I look at Montana players. You just don’t see a lot of quarterbacks out of Montana playing at UM and MSU, especially non-AA."

Look back at every MT ranking I've done since 2015. You won't see many QB prospects in the Top 20...because there aren't many. The two from last year (Blake Thelen and Kris Brown) have some tools to develop and they are rightfully on FCS rosters. Most of the kids that make the Top 5 each year are athletes and OL/DL. Those kids usually rise to the top. However, when you get a QB who is a good athlete with protoypical size that produce every year as well as checks the boxes as a leader and student/athlete, you have to recognize that ability.

Overall, I disagree with a lot of your assessment of Carson's football playing ability. So we don't continue to muddy up Connor Ryan's thread, lets just agree to disagree.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:45 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:09 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:57 am
iaafan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I’d said similar things about Keaton Anderson, Dalton Daum, Gilman, Rovig and other players people have been projecting too high imo. I’ve been wrong a lot, too. It’s not like I just said he wasn’t good. I’m giving you my rationale. I’m not ruling him out, but just watch his tape. He’s not that mobile. His receivers get wide open a lot. He’s good, but I think if he’s playing AA ball you’d get a better perspective of him and imo he’d be good, but his production would drop off.
Go to 1:44 in his junior highlight tape:

This also isn't the only mobile play he makes. They are literally everywhere on his highlight tapes from his sophomore and junior year. He creates plays BECAUSE he is mobile in and out of the pocket.

You're giving a little too much respect to Class AA defensive football and the athletes they have on the backend when compared to Class A. That's all I'm gonna say.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:47 am

One thing that really stood out to me with Connor's first game was just how "put-together" he looked as a football player as well as how smooth of an athlete he is. There is a lot to like there and now gives fans of both the Cats and Griz the main reason why both schools offered him this summer despite not having much production his junior season.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:47 am
One thing that really stood out to me with Connor's first game was just how "put-together" he looked as a football player as well as how smooth of an athlete he is. There is a lot to like there and now gives fans of both the Cats and Griz the main reason why both schools offered him this summer despite not having much production his junior season.
We agree on this! I think he’s gonna continue to have games like this all year.

(37-73-1, 406, 6; 121.8....just sayin’). :wink:

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:28 pm

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:34 pm

Kid is having an entire season’s worth of highlights in his first 5 quarters to start the year

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:25 am

Four catches, three TDs, 158 yards. 46, 69, 43 yards on TDs. Sounds like Randy Moss vs Dallas on Thanksgiving! He had a similar game last week. 3-173-2. Seven catches for 331 yards and six TDs in first two games. Josh Erbacher the West quarterback is having a huge season.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 am

SACCAT wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 am
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I think a lot of people are going to look good against Missoula Big Sky... Hawks play them tonight, Ash and company could have big games... (FYI you can listen to the Hawk game tonight on KGVM... The Play-by-play guy is the WORST)
Whoopsie-daisy! Hawks lose to supposedly bad Big Sky. 21-18, which lost to West last week.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:43 am

Do we project him as a WR or a safety? He looks to me body type wise to be maybe a lb when it's all said and done? TE? He doesn't look fast when he runs. But you know he's fast because he's outrunning everyone. Like Shawn Johnson looked fast and was fast. Connor when he runs doesn't look like a fast dude. But he is a fast dude. I don't even know if I'm explaining myself right.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:24 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:43 am
Do we project him as a WR or a safety? He looks to me body type wise to be maybe a lb when it's all said and done? TE? He doesn't look fast when he runs. But you know he's fast because he's outrunning everyone. Like Shawn Johnson looked fast and was fast. Connor when he runs doesn't look like a fast dude. But he is a fast dude. I don't even know if I'm explaining myself right.
He ran a 10.9 100 last year. Took third at state. Anchored champion 4x100 team. Fifth in 200.

toM StUber

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 am
SACCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I think a lot of people are going to look good against Missoula Big Sky... Hawks play them tonight, Ash and company could have big games... (FYI you can listen to the Hawk game tonight on KGVM... The Play-by-play guy is the WORST)
Whoopsie-daisy! Hawks lose to supposedly bad Big Sky. 21-18, which lost to West last week.
Yep...It was a very odd game. Hawks could not get out of their own way, and Big Sky played really well in the mud and rain. All credit to Big Sky, had an answer every time the Hawks made a move....I was right about the announcer though, he was terrible.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 pm

Don’t think this kid has a TD on the year that didnt go for at least 45 yards

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 pm
Don’t think this kid has a TD on the year that didnt go for at least 45 yards
That was a hell of a catch over the wrong shoulder.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 am
TomCat88 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Yep...It was a very odd game. Hawks could not get out of their own way, and Big Sky played really well in the mud and rain. All credit to Big Sky, had an answer every time the Hawks made a move....I was right about the announcer though, he was terrible.
Funny! I listen to the game against Billings Senior tonight on the radio and was thinking the same thing. It was awful!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:25 am

Wow.... this guy is looking like a big time recruit!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:07 am

kwcat wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 pm
SACCAT wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 am
TomCat88 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Funny! I listen to the game against Billings Senior tonight on the radio and was thinking the same thing. It was awful!
Thanks, I do my best (or worst)