Choate comes on the Hero Sports Coach Podcast

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Choate comes on the Hero Sports Coach Podcast

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am
btribby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 am
I like Choate as much as the next guy. But, I just dont see where all this "he will be a P5 HC" talk is coming from. Yes, the rebuild seems to be taking shape. This is year four, and the victory against SEMO is by far the best/most convincing win his teams have had(I understand we have beat um three times). I think we will have Choate another four years. Also, its pretty rare for an FCS guys to jump straight into a P5 HC position. Has it happened? Sure. But, my honest opinion, best case scenario he ends up in the Mountain West as a HC and who knows from there.
I totally agree with this and am not worried at all. Barring anything unforeseen, I think there are very few jobs Choate would leave MSU for.
Agreed. My impression is that, as long as things are trending upward, he won't want to go be an assistant somewhere; he'll want to be the CEO. And I do think he could get a job at a middling Mountain West type place now, but I think the big programs he's shooting for aren't going to be interested in him until he really gets MSU in the national championship picture for at least a couple years. I do think he could and will be a P5 guy. He has the vision, the passion, the smarts, and maybe most importantly, the connections. I just think it's a couple years at least before they roll the dice on him.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 am

Well, when he got the MSU job he talked a lot about how he thought the FCS level was the best to coach at. I think it would be better to be a dominant coach in the FCS for $300K then to be a horrible coach at the FBS level for $1m.

Punters are people too!!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 am
Well, when he got the MSU job he talked a lot about how he thought the FCS level was the best to coach at. I think it would be better to be a dominant coach in the FCS for $300K then to be a horrible coach at the FBS level for $1m.
I have to respectfully disagree. You take the FBS job for $1mil all day long. 3-5 years at that and if you aren't a complete idiot with your money, even if you suck, you can come back to the FCS and you are set for life financially.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:58 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am
btribby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 am
I like Choate as much as the next guy. But, I just dont see where all this "he will be a P5 HC" talk is coming from. Yes, the rebuild seems to be taking shape. This is year four, and the victory against SEMO is by far the best/most convincing win his teams have had(I understand we have beat um three times). I think we will have Choate another four years. Also, its pretty rare for an FCS guys to jump straight into a P5 HC position. Has it happened? Sure. But, my honest opinion, best case scenario he ends up in the Mountain West as a HC and who knows from there.
I totally agree with this and am not worried at all. Barring anything unforeseen, I think there are very few jobs Choate would leave MSU for.
Agreed. My impression is that, as long as things are trending upward, he won't want to go be an assistant somewhere; he'll want to be the CEO. And I do think he could get a job at a middling Mountain West type place now, but I think the big programs he's shooting for aren't going to be interested in him until he really gets MSU in the national championship picture for at least a couple years. I do think he could and will be a P5 guy. He has the vision, the passion, the smarts, and maybe most importantly, the connections. I just think it's a couple years at least before they roll the dice on him.
I'm one of the P5 guys, and this was my mistake.

If a good mid major program offered him the HC job, he'd take it. He would not take an assistant job, unless it was maybe Bama, bc who turns that down?

Choate loves it here, is loyal here (first HC job, kid on team, close to family), and won't be jumping to leave, but he will leave someday. And that's good! If he leaves, then that means MSU is doing really well.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:28 am

Choate isn't going anywhere anytime soon. For as much as we all love him and think he's the best, he's had 1 winning season so far, and didn't go deep into the playoffs. His overall record here is below .500.

Compare that to Craig Bohl. He built Ndsu into what it is and won 3 consecutive national championships, only to get the Wyoming job...

Choate perhaps has better connections than Bohl did in the coaching world, but he's still a ways out from getting an FBS head coaching job.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:33 am

Yes, Choate's resume is not particularly strong for any established FBS program. A program in need of a rebuild, maybe, but they'd be taking a flyer on him.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:33 am
Yes, Choate's resume is not particularly strong for any established FBS program. A program in need of a rebuild, maybe, but they'd be taking a flyer on him.
True, but he's shown incremental progress and overall records don't reflect that. Having said that, I don't think he'll leave while Jory is a student at MSU.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:06 pm

His family will definitely factor into any decision to leave. They have been moving constantly for the last 10 plus years. Pretty sure his wife and daughters really like Bozeman, perhaps even more that anywhere else they have lived. Here is to hoping we get Coach Choate for more that just Jory's career at MSU. [-o<

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Most HC FCS to HC FBS moves are a bust. Especially out of the Big Sky. Schools are reluctant to try it anymore. It’s much easier to go from FBS assistant to FBS HC. Who’s the last MSU HC to do it? It’s rare for a coach to last past five years anywhere. MSU’s last eight HCs:
Ash -fired
Kramer - fired
Hysell- retired
Solomonson - fired
Arnold - fired
Graber - KC Chiefs asst.
Luebick- ?
Holland - retired

Let’s wait until he makes a big playoff run before anointing him the next Jim Tressel.