How unique is MSU’s offense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: How unique is MSU’s offense?

Post by Montanabob » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:19 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:53 pm
Confuse everybody next week start Beltran at quarterback and rovig as wide receiver
Ha Ha! I like that plan. Then Hell, start Blake Thelan the next week, might as well get him some touches as long as he doesn't play in more than four games. I see he won scout team player this week.
If three quarterbacks in two offensive styles confuses defenses oh help a defensive coordinators if he has to worry about five different styles of quarterback and 10 different running backs

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Watching MNF. Is taysom hill better than TA? I would say no.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:18 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 pm
I was actually thinking about their situation tonight too. We simply HAVE to find ways to get TA the ball. What’s the easiest way to do that? Behind center. We are not a 2-qb team any more than the New Orleans Saints are. Bauman is our quaterback. But our athletes are getting their touches. Bree’s is obviously the Saints starter but you can’t blame them for getting hill involved.

Speaking of which he had a td catch tonight, took some snaps and got some carries too.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:41 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:18 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 pm
I was actually thinking about their situation tonight too. We simply HAVE to find ways to get TA the ball. What’s the easiest way to do that? Behind center. We are not a 2-qb team any more than the New Orleans Saints are. Bauman is our quaterback. But our athletes are getting their touches. Bree’s is obviously the Saints starter but you can’t blame them for getting hill involved.

Speaking of which he had a td catch tonight, took some snaps and got some carries too.
Agreed, I was thinking more next level opportunities for Troy. Can he be a special teams, offense/defense guy at the next level?

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:42 pm
I don't recall anyone doing anything remotely similar to what MSU is doing. If they did, it became neither popular nor eye-catching. Who knows it could become the next big fad. It's beginning to seem more ingenious as the games go by. Opposing defenses only have so much time to prepare and they typically only prepare for one style of offense. MSU doesn't have a dual-threat QB, it has a dual-threat system. If this thing takes off, Matt Miller will be dubbed a football genius.

I'd like to see Jonsen throw it or hand it off to someone more often. He seems to run every time, but then again the one time (I only recall once) he did get it to someone else (Jones) it went for a TD, so him keeping it may all be by design.

Bauman just needs to be respected by the other teams for now. The 28-point, 240-yard 3rd quarter coincided with the best stretch of his young career. He just missed on a couple long passes.

Andersen is a problem for teams. You absolutely have to account for him. The trouble with that is if you give him too much attention the other backs will make you pay that way. He hasn't thrown a pass....yet.
About the only close comparison I can think of that was successful was the Chris Leak/Tim Tebow combo early on in Tebow's career. But Chris wasn't a 6-6 pro style QB like Bauman is. Truly is a treat to watch, and we're only 2 games in. I just get this feeling that we're in for a remarkable, fun season...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:55 pm

Well, we need better blocking out of Baumann when he lines up at receiver. we might have had a huge run in the 2nd half if he could have thrown a block.....or got in the guys way. :)

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:28 pm

vike_king wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:55 pm
Well, we need better blocking out of Baumann when he lines up at receiver. we might have had a huge run in the 2nd half if he could have thrown a block.....or got in the guys way. :)
Yeah, I was thinking that too.. :D

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:19 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:49 pm
On a side note, I was watching Maryland put up 63 on Saturday morning, and they occasionally brought in another QB to run option out of the same diamond formation. MD's guy was only 5'10" and was clearly a pure option QB, but it was interesting to see the same diamond formation. Aside from the Cats and now MD, I've never seen it before.
NDSU uses it a lot....

2024 Resume dominance

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20 am

More to this offensive strategy than what meets the eye. Arguments about disrupting Bauman’s flow with rotation is valid, however I believe at least 2 SEMO timeouts being called, when on defense, simply because #15 trotted out mid series and lined up behind center. After one he never returned to the field. Clock Management advantage MSU.

2019...🏆

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am

Halfcat wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20 am
More to this offensive strategy than what meets the eye. Arguments about disrupting Bauman’s flow with rotation is valid, however I believe at least 2 SEMO timeouts being called, when on defense, simply because #15 trotted out mid series and lined up behind center. After one he never returned to the field. Clock Management advantage MSU.
Also, I love the idea of Casey staying in the game when Troy comes in. Lots of alignment, motion, and shift opportunities that will keep the defense honest and not just load the box.

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am
Halfcat wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20 am
Also, I love the idea of Casey staying in the game when Troy comes in. Lots of alignment, motion, and shift opportunities that will keep the defense honest and not just load the box.
Agreed. He can be kept on the field, in the energy, play a part in potential big plays and keep it rollin’ in tempo.

2019...🏆

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:40 pm

It’s only going to get better and harder to stop. And in the press conference choate is more than aware it’s a fine line between ruining CB’s rhythm and screwing with the defense. As they perfect that we’ll be more and more dangerous.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:49 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:40 pm
It’s only going to get better and harder to stop. And in the press conference choate is more than aware it’s a fine line between ruining CB’s rhythm and screwing with the defense. As they perfect that we’ll be more and more dangerous.

Sorry...couldn't resist

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:57 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
I noticed on the timeouts that the offense sideline huddle (on the field) had the QB and Backs hiding behind the oline and the SEMO sideline.

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:29 pm

First time that I've ever seen a QB in Pistol with 3 backs in the "I" formation....that was the big time Andersen run I believe.....a few more times in slightly different inverted wishbone looks later....pretty awesome.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:57 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
I noticed on the timeouts that the offense sideline huddle (on the field) had the QB and Backs hiding behind the oline and the SEMO sideline.
Not sure I'm following this?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:10 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:42 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:57 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Not sure I'm following this?
Defense couldn't see who was on the sideline huddle on the field who is going to be in the play. makes it harder for them to decide what their defensive alignments going to be if they don't know who the offensive players are going to be

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 am

The so-called conventional wisdom is that a 2 or more QB system can never work. But there is no real basis to this other than herd mentality. Choate approaches the game from a defensive mindset & understands how difficult it can be for a defense to prepare for 2 or more QBs. If you can get your kids to buy into the 2+ QB model, it only makes life more difficult for the opposing defense.

Choate is changing the game. In Choate We Trust ...

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:47 am

I think one of the classic pitfalls of a two+ QB system is that QBs typically like to be THE man. They don't get to the D1 level, earn a scholarship by being a backup or splitting reps through their whole high school career. But like FTG_1984 if you can find guys who are legitimately willing to do this, then the other downsides to the system become very much minor factors.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 am

This excerpt from Greg's article yesterday is great. TA's quote is pure gold.

'Andersen’s role as a two-way player undoubtedly takes extra time for opposing coaches to draw up a game plan. Defensively last week, Andersen also had two tackles for loss, a sack, a pass breakup and a QB hurry.

Of that aspect, Andersen said, “I hope it’s tough” for the opposition to account for him.

How would Andersen defend against himself as an offensive player? His plan wouldn’t be complicated.

“I don’t know. It’s not like some super-secret recipe,” he said. “Tackle, I guess.”'