Temper your expectations come Monday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Temper your expectations come Monday

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:47 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 am
Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 am
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS
(STATS) - The Big Sky Conference is building off one of its stronger seasons with an even bigger statement in the early season STATS FCS Top 25.

Five of the 13 teams in the largest FCS conference held spots in the national media poll Monday, including a whopping four in the top 10.

Eastern Washington, last year's FCS runner-up, maintained its No. 4 ranking and was followed by the conference's other two 2018 tri-champs and national quarterfinalists, No. 5 UC Davis and No. 6 Weber State. Montana State, which also made the playoffs and contributed to the Big Sky's six postseason wins, moved up three spots to No. 10 after beating nationally ranked Southeast Missouri....

Southeast Missouri dropped to No. 19 and Griz at No. 20. If these two are ranked correctly then this year's Cat Griz is going to be a blast :)
Four teams in the top 10. That's a pretty tough conference. The article says the CAA has the most in the top 25 with six, then the MVFC and Southland with four. Big Sky has 5 in the top 20.

Time for the obligatory "too early for this to mean much" comment, but it's still interesting to keep track of.
I am glad you mention this "too early for this to mean much" because I have been thinking about it. You could say the same thing about a score in the first quarter of a football game. It’s too early to mean much, I only care about the final score. While that’s true, the score in the first quarter does mean something. The same with the polls. It’s only the final poll that really matters but these polls do mean something. The higher you start the more room you have for error and the better potential you have for getting a top eight seed and getting a bye. And just like I like to enjoy every quarter of a football game I like to enjoy every week of the season and part of that enjoyment is tracking teams in the polls.

If you don’t care about the polls that’s fine but I do and I don’t think I’m alone because there’s an entire industry based on it.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:04 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:36 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:32 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 am
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am
FTG247365 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 pm

His latest "Twatter" post, 'Montana schools crushed their "tests".' .....MSU had a test playing #12 SEMO team. dUMb's test was playing a cupcake FCS game, which they were losing at half. Who game this guy a job?
This guy knows way more about FCS football than any of us. He gets it wrong sometimes but he gets it right most of the time. Too many Cat fans have blinders on when it comes to anything Griz related in the media.
BS.
Which part is BS?
“This guy knows way more about FCS football than any of us.” Complete and utter BS.
This isn't even debatable.
You’re right it isn’t debatable. Glad you came to your senses. Brian has a huge Ivy League bias on top of not being all that knowledgeable about the FCS. He writes stuff that could easily be fact checked, but he doesn’t bother because he’s a charlatan who knows someone will just read whatever he says and buy it. Or give him a pass because he’s usually right. He’s made so many mistakes I don’t bother reading his “work.” He’s also constantly making punctuation errors.
Alright I'll just concede here. It's clear you think he's a hack, I don't, so we'll just leave it at that.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:47 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 am
Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 am
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS
(STATS) - The Big Sky Conference is building off one of its stronger seasons with an even bigger statement in the early season STATS FCS Top 25.

Five of the 13 teams in the largest FCS conference held spots in the national media poll Monday, including a whopping four in the top 10.

Eastern Washington, last year's FCS runner-up, maintained its No. 4 ranking and was followed by the conference's other two 2018 tri-champs and national quarterfinalists, No. 5 UC Davis and No. 6 Weber State. Montana State, which also made the playoffs and contributed to the Big Sky's six postseason wins, moved up three spots to No. 10 after beating nationally ranked Southeast Missouri....

Southeast Missouri dropped to No. 19 and Griz at No. 20. If these two are ranked correctly then this year's Cat Griz is going to be a blast :)
Four teams in the top 10. That's a pretty tough conference. The article says the CAA has the most in the top 25 with six, then the MVFC and Southland with four. Big Sky has 5 in the top 20.

Time for the obligatory "too early for this to mean much" comment, but it's still interesting to keep track of.
I am glad you mention this "too early for this to mean much" because I have been thinking about it. You could say the same thing about a score in the first quarter of a football game. It’s too early to mean much, I only care about the final score. While that’s true, the score in the first quarter does mean something. The same with the polls. It’s only the final poll that really matters but these polls do mean something. The higher you start the more room you have for error and the better potential you have for getting a top eight seed and getting a bye. And just like I like to enjoy every quarter of a football game I like to enjoy every week of the season and part of that enjoyment is tracking teams in the polls.

If you don’t care about the polls that’s fine but I do and I don’t think I’m alone because there’s an entire industry based on it.
I agree, and I probably should have said it differently. It's too early for it to tell us much, but it definitely means a whole heck of a lot.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:25 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:04 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:36 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:32 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 am
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am
FTG247365 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 pm

His latest "Twatter" post, 'Montana schools crushed their "tests".' .....MSU had a test playing #12 SEMO team. dUMb's test was playing a cupcake FCS game, which they were losing at half. Who game this guy a job?
This guy knows way more about FCS football than any of us. He gets it wrong sometimes but he gets it right most of the time. Too many Cat fans have blinders on when it comes to anything Griz related in the media.
BS.
Which part is BS?
“This guy knows way more about FCS football than any of us.” Complete and utter BS.
This isn't even debatable.
You’re right it isn’t debatable. Glad you came to your senses. Brian has a huge Ivy League bias on top of not being all that knowledgeable about the FCS. He writes stuff that could easily be fact checked, but he doesn’t bother because he’s a charlatan who knows someone will just read whatever he says and buy it. Or give him a pass because he’s usually right. He’s made so many mistakes I don’t bother reading his “work.” He’s also constantly making punctuation errors.
Alright I'll just concede here. It's clear you think he's a hack, I don't, so we'll just leave it at that.
If you're talking about the entire FCS as a whole then you are correct, he knows more than any of us.
If you're talking about just the big sky FCS then it's certainly debatable. And if you're talking about just the Montana schools then yes, there are lots of people on this board who know more than him. It's unlikely he even watches our games, so how could he know? He looks at final scores, maybe highlights, and that's it. Not faulting him for it, it's just impossible to know all the details on all the teams. That's all I'm saying.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:54 pm

codecat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm
RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:15 pm
bpcats20 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am
If we played tomorrow I would give a slight edge to the Griz...due to current injuries to our secondary to Filer and Okada...and needed continued growth in Bauman and Ioane in calling defenses.

Grizzly are firing on all cylinders right now.

By the time we do play the edge would be with MSU.
I would have to say that our win was comparable to a class AA vs AA. Thinking theirs would be more like Class AA vs Class A. Could be totally wrong ...
North Alabama beat Western Illinois to open the season. I'm guessing that nobody here thinks that Western Illinois is Class A.
Haha, definitely agree with your logic on Western Illinois not Class A.

Also, the griz may be firing on all cylinders at this point but i don't think its quite there yet. They had a very good dual threat QB, plenty of fast targets that can go get the ball, and are using ultra speed on the edges. Their weaknesses at this point are most likely an improved (from last year) OL, and not having a good every down RB.
My emphasis on Class A would have been directed more to N Alabama...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:22 pm
bpcats20 wrote:
If we played tomorrow I would give a slight edge to the Griz...due to current injuries to our secondary to Filer and Okada...and needed continued growth in Bauman and Ioane in calling defenses.

I don’t see much basis for that. Kinda a mystery. I don’t feel like I know anything about UM. They haven’t played anyone good yet. They play Oregon, which is good, but it may be tough to tell if they get smoked. UC Davis is coming up, but they’re looking overrated if anything. Tough to tell. Too early to say for a lot of teams.
IF? :lol: :lol: :lol: That game is going to be a massacre.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm
iaafan wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:

I don’t see much basis for that. Kinda a mystery. I don’t feel like I know anything about UM. They haven’t played anyone good yet. They play Oregon, which is good, but it may be tough to tell if they get smoked. UC Davis is coming up, but they’re looking overrated if anything. Tough to tell. Too early to say for a lot of teams.
With the way Oregon crushed unr, 66-7, it could be a looooooong day. unr squeaked by Purdue the week before but who knows how strong Purdue may be?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:42 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm
catatac wrote:
iaafan wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:

With the way Oregon crushed unr, 66-7, it could be a looooooong day. unr squeaked by Purdue the week before but who knows how strong Purdue may be?
I think Sneed and those Grizzly receivers are damn good and some of them could be starting for FBS programs. I think they'll hit some big plays and may even score a couple times. However, Oregon will score on the whenever they want. I don't see the Grizzly defense slowing them much if at all.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:46 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:42 pm
RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm
catatac wrote:
iaafan wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:

I think Sneed and those Grizzly receivers are damn good and some of them could be starting for FBS programs. I think they'll hit some big plays and may even score a couple times. However, Oregon will score on the whenever they want. I don't see the Grizzly defense slowing them much if at all.
Sneed will be running for his life against the Oregon front seven. That is a VERY good D.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 pm

onceacat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:

I would have to say that our win was comparable to a class AA vs AA. Thinking theirs would be more like Class AA vs Class A. Could be totally wrong ...
North Alabama beat Western Illinois to open the season. I'm guessing that nobody here thinks that Western Illinois is Class A.
North Alabama has only been competing in FCS for 2 years, not too far removed from a Div II program. Western Ill. Might have overlooked them because of that, but is Western Ill. a powerhouse this year? I really can't put a lot of stock in the griz win, they were losing 17-16 @ half. The season is still early, lots of football to play, GO Cats!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 pm
onceacat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:

North Alabama has only been competing in FCS for 2 years, not too far removed from a Div II program. Western Ill. Might have overlooked them because of that, but is Western Ill. a powerhouse this year? I really can't put a lot of stock in the griz win, they were losing 17-16 @ half. The season is still early, lots of football to play, GO Cats!
Just that N Alabama beat a MVFC team. Not that either N Alabama or W Illinois is going to be a playoff team, but I don't think that anyone thinks that the Leathernecks are an "A" team. If W Ill isn't an "A" team, then the team that beat them probably isn't either.

Nothing to do with the Griz at all.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am

Another thing I noticed is the nine teams in front of us have some difficult games coming up. Also, Towson and Maine are ranked directly in front of us and play each other this weekend. If we can take care of business on Saturday we'll likely be moving up to around 8th or so.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:02 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am
Another thing I noticed is the nine teams in front of us have some difficult games coming up. Also, Towson and Maine are ranked directly in front of us and play each other this weekend. If we can take care of business on Saturday we'll likely be moving up to around 8th or so.
wow Towson vs Maine, might just be the perfect weekend to see if the ESPN+ subscription is worth it. Should be kicking off right at the end of our game.