Temper your expectations come Monday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: Temper your expectations come Monday

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:30 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 pm

His latest "Twatter" post, 'Montana schools crushed their "tests".' .....MSU had a test playing #12 SEMO team. dUMb's test was playing a cupcake FCS game, which they were losing at half. Who game this guy a job?
He did apologize to MSU, call Troy "something special" and "not human" in between comparing him to Red Grange. I think he's aware of who the better team in the state is.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:52 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:30 pm
FTG247365 wrote:

His latest "Twatter" post, 'Montana schools crushed their "tests".' .....MSU had a test playing #12 SEMO team. dUMb's test was playing a cupcake FCS game, which they were losing at half. Who game this guy a job?
He did apologize to MSU, call Troy "something special" and "not human" in between comparing him to Red Grange. I think he's aware of who the better team in the state is.
After reading the article he does redeem tweet, to a point.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 am

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS
(STATS) - The Big Sky Conference is building off one of its stronger seasons with an even bigger statement in the early season STATS FCS Top 25.

Five of the 13 teams in the largest FCS conference held spots in the national media poll Monday, including a whopping four in the top 10.

Eastern Washington, last year's FCS runner-up, maintained its No. 4 ranking and was followed by the conference's other two 2018 tri-champs and national quarterfinalists, No. 5 UC Davis and No. 6 Weber State. Montana State, which also made the playoffs and contributed to the Big Sky's six postseason wins, moved up three spots to No. 10 after beating nationally ranked Southeast Missouri....
Southeast Missouri dropped to No. 19 and Griz at No. 20. If these two are ranked correctly then this year's Cat Griz is going to be a blast :)

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 am

Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 am
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS
(STATS) - The Big Sky Conference is building off one of its stronger seasons with an even bigger statement in the early season STATS FCS Top 25.

Five of the 13 teams in the largest FCS conference held spots in the national media poll Monday, including a whopping four in the top 10.

Eastern Washington, last year's FCS runner-up, maintained its No. 4 ranking and was followed by the conference's other two 2018 tri-champs and national quarterfinalists, No. 5 UC Davis and No. 6 Weber State. Montana State, which also made the playoffs and contributed to the Big Sky's six postseason wins, moved up three spots to No. 10 after beating nationally ranked Southeast Missouri....
Southeast Missouri dropped to No. 19 and Griz at No. 20. If these two are ranked correctly then this year's Cat Griz is going to be a blast :)
Four teams in the top 10. That's a pretty tough conference. The article says the CAA has the most in the top 25 with six, then the MVFC and Southland with four. Big Sky has 5 in the top 20.

Time for the obligatory "too early for this to mean much" comment, but it's still interesting to keep track of.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am

FTG247365 wrote:

This guy knows way more about FCS football than any of us. He gets it wrong sometimes but he gets it right most of the time. Too many Cat fans have blinders on when it comes to anything Griz related in the media.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am
FTG247365 wrote:

This guy knows way more about FCS football than any of us. He gets it wrong sometimes but he gets it right most of the time. Too many Cat fans have blinders on when it comes to anything Griz related in the media.
BS.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am

If we played tomorrow I would give a slight edge to the Griz...due to current injuries to our secondary to Filer and Okada...and needed continued growth in Bauman and Ioane in calling defenses.

Grizzly are firing on all cylinders right now.

By the time we do play the edge would be with MSU.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:15 pm

bpcats20 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am
If we played tomorrow I would give a slight edge to the Griz...due to current injuries to our secondary to Filer and Okada...and needed continued growth in Bauman and Ioane in calling defenses.

I would have to say that our win was comparable to a class AA vs AA. Thinking theirs would be more like Class AA vs Class A. Could be totally wrong ...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:22 pm

bpcats20 wrote:

I don’t see much basis for that. Kinda a mystery. I don’t feel like I know anything about UM. They haven’t played anyone good yet. They play Oregon, which is good, but it may be tough to tell if they get smoked. UC Davis is coming up, but they’re looking overrated if anything. Tough to tell. Too early to say for a lot of teams.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:32 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 am
CelticCat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

BS.
Which part is BS?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:36 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:32 pm
iaafan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

BS.
Which part is BS?
“This guy knows way more about FCS football than any of us.” Complete and utter BS.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:36 pm
CelticCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

BS.
Which part is BS?
“This guy knows way more about FCS football than any of us.” Complete and utter BS.
This isn't even debatable.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:15 pm
bpcats20 wrote:

I would have to say that our win was comparable to a class AA vs AA. Thinking theirs would be more like Class AA vs Class A. Could be totally wrong ...
North Alabama beat Western Illinois to open the season. I'm guessing that nobody here thinks that Western Illinois is Class A.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:22 pm
bpcats20 wrote:

I don’t see much basis for that. Kinda a mystery. I don’t feel like I know anything about UM. They haven’t played anyone good yet. They play Oregon, which is good, but it may be tough to tell if they get smoked. UC Davis is coming up, but they’re looking overrated if anything. Tough to tell. Too early to say for a lot of teams.
Yeah, it's a little bit like trying to take something away from MSU's game against Texas Tech. USD might have been a solid opponent, but they got blown out (understandably) by Oklahoma. They struggled early against North Alabama, then turned it on. I watched that game after MSU's was over and I felt like North Alabama quit around the end of the 3rd, so maybe tough to tell from that game. Obviously if they have good showings against Oregon and Davis they'll turn some heads. My first impression so far is that they're pretty good this year.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:58 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm
iaafan wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:

Yeah, it's a little bit like trying to take something away from MSU's game against Texas Tech. USD might have been a solid opponent, but they got blown out (understandably) by Oklahoma. They struggled early against North Alabama, then turned it on. I watched that game after MSU's was over and I felt like North Alabama quit around the end of the 3rd, so maybe tough to tell from that game. Obviously if they have good showings against Oregon and Davis they'll turn some heads. My first impression so far is that they're pretty good this year.
They look pretty good. They looked pretty good at times last year. They beat #13 UNI, drake 48-16 the first two games and started 4-1. Went 2-4 after that.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:01 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm
iaafan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

BS.
Which part is BS?
I pretty much agree with CelticCat just by the nature of how B-Mac makes his living. He and Sam from Hero, Hailey from Stats (who actually does the Athalon poll) and Joel Welser of College Sports Madness all make their living pretty much within the scope of FCS football only, so usually know more about all the teams in the FCS that other. They all get some of it wrong most all the time, especially at this stage being only 2 weeks into the season, and the weakness is usually that they are just one opinion. The Stats poll on the other hand incorporates the votes media who may know a great deal about one team or conference and some about other top teams across the country which is a weekness of this type of poll, the strength being that the sample size is a great deal larger. That is why I usually look at where all four of the primary FCS polls at at on any given week.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm
RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:15 pm
bpcats20 wrote:

North Alabama beat Western Illinois to open the season. I'm guessing that nobody here thinks that Western Illinois is Class A.
Haha, definitely agree with your logic on Western Illinois not Class A.

Also, the griz may be firing on all cylinders at this point but i don't think its quite there yet. They had a very good dual threat QB, plenty of fast targets that can go get the ball, and are using ultra speed on the edges. Their weaknesses at this point are most likely an improved (from last year) OL, and not having a good every down RB.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 pm

CelticCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

BS.
Which part is BS?
You’re right it isn’t debatable. Glad you came to your senses. Brian has a huge Ivy League bias on top of not being all that knowledgeable about the FCS. He writes stuff that could easily be fact checked, but he doesn’t bother because he’s a charlatan who knows someone will just read whatever he says and buy it. Or give him a pass because he’s usually right. He’s made so many mistakes I don’t bother reading his “work.” He’s also constantly making punctuation errors.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:30 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm
iaafan wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:

That’s awfully reasonable for a fan board.

The Griz were one play away from ending the Cats season at 6-5 with no playoff spot. It’s hard to imagine that two teams that were very closely matched last year are all of a sudden night and day different this year.
Last edited by onceacat on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:31 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 pm
CelticCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

BS.
Which part is BS?
You’re right it isn’t debatable. Glad you came to your senses. Brian has a huge Ivy League bias on top of not being all that knowledgeable about the FCS. He writes stuff that could easily be fact checked, but he doesn’t bother because he’s a charlatan who knows someone will just read whatever he says and buy it. Or give him a pass because he’s usually right. He’s made so many mistakes I don’t bother reading his “work.” He’s also constantly making punctuation errors.
I have never fact-checked any of Brian's writings (other than the Griz playing an FBS school, but he wrote the article at 2:00 am so I give him a pass there) but he seems pretty knowledgeable about the FCS IMO, but again, I have never looked that deep into it.

I am impressed with his colleague, Sam Herder, though. He seems to really know his stuff.