MSU/UM Enrollment

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

MSU/UM Enrollment

Post by wbtfg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:36 am

I know there's multiple threads on this, but didn't feel like digging. Anyway, here's a quote from a story in today's Missoulian.

According to the posted budget documents, UM's total budget will be down from $146.2 million in 2019 to $144.3 million in the 2020 Fiscal Year. By comparison, Montana State University-Bozeman's budget is set to grow from $240.4 million to $254.5 million.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/um-fo ... op-story-1

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU/UM Enrollment

Post by iaafan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:53 am

Seems right in line with the ratio of students. I’m not sure how to quantify it. How long can this go on before UM has to start making drastic changes or before the state of Montana begins pulling the plugs on parts of UM? Can you pay staff and operate the machinery in half empty classrooms? When will it hit a critical mass?

RickRund
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by RickRund » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:58 am

And their president touts headway...

Yes, the airline captain said we will crash but at 500 mph and not 600 mph...

HelenaCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:01 pm

I wonder what the ratios are for Athletics Budget/Total Budget at each school?? That would be interesting to see the difference there......

RickRund

Post by RickRund » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:53 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:01 pm
I wonder what the ratios are for Athletics Budget/Total Budget at each school?? That would be interesting to see the difference there......
That would be very interesting.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:54 pm

MSU will soon be 'penalized' by the BOR and redistribute the wealth to other failing Montana University Systems - including UM - because they are all state run organizations.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 am

MSU Toddler wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:54 pm
MSU will soon be 'penalized' by the BOR and redistribute the wealth to other failing Montana University Systems - including UM - because they are all state run organizations.
They already have been. I think 14 mil was redistributed from MSU to UM last year.

HelenaCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HelenaCat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 am
MSU Toddler wrote:
They already have been. I think 14 mil was redistributed from MSU to UM last year.
Yes, this has been happening since MSU passed um in enrollment.

RickRund

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:35 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 pm
wbtfg wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
I guess that is the new "american dream". You are failing on everyone front and the successful entity will be robbed to give you a big boost... And I guess this is for real then.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:14 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:35 am
HelenaCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
I guess that is the new "american dream". You are failing on everyone front and the successful entity will be robbed to give you a big boost... And I guess this is for real then.
I think the regents have to help the schools that need it, for a while. All of the fixed costs are going to continue with less students to split up the costs, just the nature of fixed costs. They should tell them that either the enrollment starts to pick up or they will need to find a way to reduce fixed costs.

Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

RickRund

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 am

allcat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:14 am
RickRund wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
I think the regents have to help the schools that need it, for a while. All of the fixed costs are going to continue with less students to split up the costs, just the nature of fixed costs. They should tell them that either the enrollment starts to pick up or they will need to find a way to reduce fixed costs.
I am not there so my knowledge means zip but it seems their wounds are all self imposed. Pretty soon they should begin to start repairing the damage. Which they probably have since new management has been brought..... Put them on a short leash.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:45 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 am
allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
I am not there so my knowledge means zip but it seems their wounds are all self imposed. Pretty soon they should begin to start repairing the damage. Which they probably have since new management has been brought..... Put them on a short leash.
I'm not sure about all self imposed. Virtually all Liberal arts schools have seen enrollment drops. I read an article where they said 25% of colleges could go bankrupt within 10 years.

RickRund

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:56 am

allcat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:45 am
RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 am
allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
I'm not sure about all self imposed. Virtually all Liberal arts schools have seen enrollment drops. I read an article where they said 25% of colleges could go bankrupt within 10 years.
Here is where my knowledge means zip. Was not aware of that stat. Interesting and in a way sad. But if you don't teach "useable knowledge" then it looks like you go the way of the dinosaurs.

BozoneCat
Member # Retired

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:24 pm

wbtfg wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
Might as well teach them about how the welfare system works, since most of their graduates will likely end up utilizing it at some point once they find out a degree from UMCC is worthless.

GO CATS GO!!!

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 am

allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
They have been. They've been slashing staff and faculty positions for three years. The state "stole" millions of dollars of otherwise appropriated money in 2017 to pay faculty chashouts at UM. We've already seen the empty residence hall rooms story, so it makes one wonder at what point do they consolidate dorms and classroom buildings and shutter some of them to have heating/maintenance costs?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:46 am

KittieKop wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 am
allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
They have been. They've been slashing staff and faculty positions for three years. The state "stole" millions of dollars of otherwise appropriated money in 2017 to pay faculty chashouts at UM. We've already seen the empty residence hall rooms story, so it makes one wonder at what point do they consolidate dorms and classroom buildings and shutter some of them to have heating/maintenance costs?
I think most of the cuts were not fixed. They got rid of professors and other. Your right, if they shutter buildings that would be fixed costs. It's actually prospects I would not want to see, but maybe necessary.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 am

In Choate's interview with Brian McLaughlin he said the enrollment was approaching 18000. Contrast that with Um.

coachouert

Post by coachouert » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 am

allcat wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 am
In Choate's interview with Brian McLaughlin he said the enrollment was approaching 18000. Contrast that with Um.
That number is slightly off as the number is approaching 17,000. UM will land somewhere between 9,000-9,500 if I were to guess.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 pm

There's a story coming out on Friday, or this weekend, I believe that talks about how the regents are increasing MSU's budget and decreasing UM's. UM's enrollment is expected to drop by over 5%, MSU's dropped also. Budget increase at MSU of about $10-15 million.

When looking at enrollment it's worth noting that both schools are counting the Vo-tech students in their towns. When you dig into the BOR website you can break them out.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Pecos24
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Pecos24 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Bill Zander
CS '93