The Good, Bad, and the Ugly from Gold Rush

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: The Good, Bad, and the Ugly from Gold Rush

Post by kcatz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 am
RobertCats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:08 am
I also thought the gameday production was awesome. Got rid of some of the lame cams. Added some good classic sing alongs. Horses and pyro are always awesome. Good job @BethanyCordell and crew.

Also. Student section was awesome. Band was huge! the entire crowd was in mid season form. .
+1 on the kudos to the game day crew! Whether you are pro or anti-Neil Diamond, seems like the crowd engaged!!

Wow....student section was really into it!! Great to see.
And that was after they cut the music from the booth

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:23 pm

MountainCat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:59 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am
MountainCat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am
-Good: Casey Bauman played damn good football last night, especially considering this is his second game. He looks solid and confident leading this team, especially with his very limited experience, that gets me excited for his future! Casey, Troy, and Travis seem to be comfortable being constantly switched in and out which provides a lot of confusing looks for the defense. The D-line is a beast! Bryce Sterk is a quarterback eating MONSTER! If the D-line was heavily involved in the play, they created havoc and mismatches most of the time.

-We played 2 inspired, dominating quarters of football

-The Bad: I believe that part of the reason Casey misses on some of those passes is simply because he has a hard time getting in a rhythm when it’s constant substitution in and out with Anderson and Johnson. Casey will get better with his touch...

-I’ll likely get flamed for this, but... Our defense was excellent last night on the line and for much of our linebacker play, but I thought our back end play SUCKED! Intermediate throws were typically wide open and allowed solid gains almost every time. There were some HUGE holes on a few run plays that should have been stopped 3-6 yards deep, and we didn’t have a defensive player within several yards. I’m not sure if that’s inexperience or scheme creating the gaps, but they need to tighten it up... We gave up 2 passing touchdowns that should have been easily defended, and the scrambling, no look, lob-it-up catch/score in the end zone with 2 clueless Bobcat defenders within feet of the receiver was just embarrassing! We were also lucky on a few passing plays that would have gone for large gains had the receiver caught (very catchable) balls when our guys were simply beat. We got the win, and it looked the part, and we are improving, but there is still work to be done in my opinion on our D. Like everyone else I’m excited for the win last night, but I also think we can clean it up and improve substantially, it’s going to matter in the next 6-8 weeks...

-We played 2 lifeless quarters.
My perception of the DBs was totally different.

Their stud QB went 13/28 for 114 yards. That’s pretty damn good defense. Their preseason all American WR had 77 yards.

Also I consider that long ball down the sideline a lucky fluke. Our guys were both playing the ball in the air and I think they ran into each other and the ball landed right in the WRs hands.

I would have liked to have held them to zero yards passing, but that’s just not going to happen.

Ha ha ha! Maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way and I want too much fellas, I’m selfish like that!! 😂

Personally, I felt the low passing yards from SEMO we’re because of the constant pressure up front and collapsing pocket around the QB, not because our DB’s were smothering their receivers. I feel like better passing teams will exploit us on short to medium passes this season IF we don’t tighten up there. I may be wrong fellas, I truly hope I am.

So yep, I’m being score stingy. 😁 I’m a HUGE believer in Coach Choate and the culture he’s growing here for Montana State, selfishly I just want to see this team that I feel is incredibly talented be top tier because I know they can be. Last night we soundly beat a team ranked a spot ahead of us and there was no question that we were the DOMINANT team for at least 2+ quarters. I’m excited to see us put it all together and continue to grow! So please forgive me for a bit of selfish ambition for our team guys, too much early enthusiasm I guess...... 😉
I'm actually with you on this. A lot of times a strength can cover up a weakness. I don't think the back end is a weakness for the Bobcats, but it wasn't great in the game. Or maybe it was schematic, I probably need to watch again. But Santacaterina missed on a bunch of throws and every one of them seemed to be due to the pressure up front. But so many of those throws were intended for an open receiver. I think if you strictly look at the stats, I think that story is more about the pressure on the QB. And maybe that strength is going to be good enough all season, but if somebody figures out how to protect a QB (big IF), that could bear fruit.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:24 pm

kcatz wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I also thought the gameday production was awesome. Got rid of some of the lame cams. Added some good classic sing alongs. Horses and pyro are always awesome. Good job @BethanyCordell and crew.

Also. Student section was awesome. Band was huge! the entire crowd was in mid season form. .
+1 on the kudos to the game day crew! Whether you are pro or anti-Neil Diamond, seems like the crowd engaged!!

Nobody likes that song when they're sober. I belt it out if I've had a few beers, then I turn it off instantly if it comes on when I'm not drinking. Good choice for a Saturday night game.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Pecos24 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:13 am
Another Good:
Butts in seats at the start of 3rd qtr. It wasn’t filled up but it was close, at least in my area.
This was very noticeable! Much better than past years!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Add to the Great List - Game day atmosphere and MSU production - Everything from player introductions to rodeo team to fireworks was spot on! I lovers the player intros this year. It allowed each player to show a little of their personality. From TA holding the stuffed Bobcat to Bryce Sterk holding the sign: “the real 37”.

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:33 pm

I’m actually going to put Bauman’s play in the good slot. This kid is making his second start and I felt he had great control of the offense and where to go with the ball. He has the biggest arm MSU has ever seen as well. He is going to get better and better as the season progresses. You could see the adjustment on his throws even in the second half from the first. He was trying to gun some of his throws in that first half and missed because of it. In that second half he got more air under the throw to Kassis and dropped a dime. He also mad a remarkable throw in that second half on a deeper out route to I think Patterson. That was a tough window and not many QBs have the arm strength to make that throw. Zero turnovers as well which is remarkable for a Freshmen in his first couple of starts. This kid is going to be lights out by mid season just wait.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:49 pm

bcats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:33 pm
I’m actually going to put Bauman’s play in the good slot. This kid is making his second start and I felt he had great control of the offense and where to go with the ball. He has the biggest arm MSU has ever seen as well. He is going to get better and better as the season progresses. You could see the adjustment on his throws even in the second half from the first. He was trying to gun some of his throws in that first half and missed because of it. In that second half he got more air under the throw to Kassis and dropped a dime. He also mad a remarkable throw in that second half on a deeper out route to I think Patterson. That was a tough window and not many QBs have the arm strength to make that throw. Zero turnovers as well which is remarkable for a Freshmen in his first couple of starts. This kid is going to be lights out by mid season just wait.
I agree completely. He had some extra adrenaline going for his first home start on front of 20,000 screaming fans at Gold Rush. That will cause even veterans to miss deep or try to hold back and short hop it. He also kept his eyes downfield, always looking to make a pass. He would scramble but look for a good pass, not just force one in to receiver. And he did a great job in play action and hitting a slanting receiver. Especially for a freshman. Casey is going to be very good.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:52 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:24 pm
kcatz wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Nobody likes that song when they're sober. I belt it out if I've had a few beers, then I turn it off instantly if it comes on when I'm not drinking. Good choice for a Saturday night game.
“Nobody” is rather all encompassing! So maybe I am the only surviving person on the planet that still likes it sober or not. This gives me a rather lonely feeling. Ha!

But after watching the crowd at our home games and realizing that they are not all “wasted”....well me thinks there are quite a few that still enjoy it and the crowd gets into it...so what the heck....if the crowd enjoys great...and thanks for continuing to play it. Just wished they would start it early enough to finish the song!

I thought the mix of music genre was good....some old, some new.....some soft, some loud and edgy....a bit of variety for the diversity of the crowd. Thanks.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:22 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:52 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:24 pm
kcatz wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

“Nobody” is rather all encompassing! So maybe I am the only surviving person on the planet that still likes it sober or not. This gives me a rather lonely feeling. Ha!

But after watching the crowd at our home games and realizing that they are not all “wasted”....well me thinks there are quite a few that still enjoy it and the crowd gets into it...so what the heck....if the crowd enjoys great...and thanks for continuing to play it. Just wished they would start it early enough to finish the song!

I thought the mix of music genre was good....some old, some new.....some soft, some loud and edgy....a bit of variety for the diversity of the crowd. Thanks.
Yeah, I was kidding...kind of. I do think it's a bar song and a greatly over-played stadium/high school gym song. But it's one of the most recognizable songs of all time, so plenty of people will always love it.

Speaking of bar songs, are we too far removed from MSU being a rodeo school to play "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" by David Allan Coe? Maybe these kids don't know that song anymore, but that was one we used to belt out in the Crystal and the sh*tty old R Bar back in the day.

bcats

Post by bcats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Merle Haggard “Somewhere in the middle of Montana” could be a big hit with everyone.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Stadium game announcer did a great job, but where was the 3rd down music?

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Pecos24 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:57 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am
Coy Steel: After making a big play last week vs. Texas Tech, he came out on fire on special teams with a couple really nice solo tackles in kick coverage and a blocked punt. I think this kid needs to be incorporated into the offense.
Good call.. Coy was huge in special teams yesterday. I may be wrong on the player, but I believe Amandre Williams had some big tackles on special teams as well.
No, I think you have that right. I saw the same thing.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Depending on the severity of the injury that kept Willie P out, there may be some reps open in the slot for Steel.

Also, whoever was saying that the Cats played two quarters of lifeless football, that's a bad take. The offense was pretty lifeless in Q2 but the defense was dominant at their best and merely punishing at their worst.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:49 pm
bcats wrote:
I agree completely. He had some extra adrenaline going for his first home start on front of 20,000 screaming fans at Gold Rush. That will cause even veterans to miss deep or try to hold back and short hop it. He also kept his eyes downfield, always looking to make a pass. He would scramble but look for a good pass, not just force one in to receiver. And he did a great job in play action and hitting a slanting receiver. Especially for a freshman. Casey is going to be very good.
I would also add the draw play on 4th and 2. He used his legs to get as much yardage as possible.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm

exppi wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:49 pm
bcats wrote:
I would also add the draw play on 4th and 2. He used his legs to get as much yardage as possible.
It's like Mike Callaghan said on the broadcast: "At 4th and 2, all needs to do is snap the ball and fall forward." :lol: :lol:

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:45 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:57 pm
It played. The crowd was louder. =D^

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by The Big Meowski » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:08 pm

tdub wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:45 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:57 pm
It played. The crowd was louder. =D^
That’s crazy. Now that I think about it, I couldn’t tell you songs/or songs played on third down. That’s loud.

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Good: Andersen’s Jumbotron intro. That was like Peyton Manning funny. Whoever had that idea should get a raise. Two Cool Cats right there.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 110010110 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:26 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 pm
Good: Andersen’s Jumbotron intro. That was like Peyton Manning funny. Whoever had that idea should get a raise. Two Cool Cats right there.
In case anyone missed his intro:

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Wow, watching the replay now and a tough pentaly on the unsportmanlike for brott after ifanses big run. He got punched in the facemask and presumably reacted.