The Good, Bad, and the Ugly from Gold Rush

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Good, Bad, and the Ugly from Gold Rush

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:17 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:36 am
rivercat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:18 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:52 am
KittieKop wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:30 am
The botched punt was a mess from the start. One player running on three field late with under 10 sec on the play clock, too many players in motion on the play, a rushed snap that bounced to Padmos, the fumble and the muff when trying to pick it back up. Whole unit was unprepared that play. Good time for a TO, get your crap together. Wasn't just the Padmos drop.
I don't remember the snap bouncing off the ground. I think it hit Padmos in the hands and he dropped it. Might have been a low snap, though.
It was a mess from the start as KK pointed out. Timing and cadence are critical for punters. Either simplify the punt game or get the correct personnel out there on time. And that is my only ugly.
Agreed. But as I said, I don't think the snap hit the turf.
Yeah it didn't. It was low but Padmos dropped it.

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MountainCat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am

-Good: Casey Bauman played damn good football last night, especially considering this is his second game. He looks solid and confident leading this team, especially with his very limited experience, that gets me excited for his future! Casey, Troy, and Travis seem to be comfortable being constantly switched in and out which provides a lot of confusing looks for the defense. The D-line is a beast! Bryce Sterk is a quarterback eating MONSTER! If the D-line was heavily involved in the play, they created havoc and mismatches most of the time.

-We played 2 inspired, dominating quarters of football

-The Bad: I believe that part of the reason Casey misses on some of those passes is simply because he has a hard time getting in a rhythm when it’s constant substitution in and out with Anderson and Johnson. Casey will get better with his touch...

-I’ll likely get flamed for this, but... Our defense was excellent last night on the line and for much of our linebacker play, but I thought our back end play SUCKED! Intermediate throws were typically wide open and allowed solid gains almost every time. There were some HUGE holes on a few run plays that should have been stopped 3-6 yards deep, and we didn’t have a defensive player within several yards. I’m not sure if that’s inexperience or scheme creating the gaps, but they need to tighten it up... We gave up 2 passing touchdowns that should have been easily defended, and the scrambling, no look, lob-it-up catch/score in the end zone with 2 clueless Bobcat defenders within feet of the receiver was just embarrassing! We were also lucky on a few passing plays that would have gone for large gains had the receiver caught (very catchable) balls when our guys were simply beat. We got the win, and it looked the part, and we are improving, but there is still work to be done in my opinion on our D. Like everyone else I’m excited for the win last night, but I also think we can clean it up and improve substantially, it’s going to matter in the next 6-8 weeks...

-We played 2 lifeless quarters.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:25 am

I don’t think the secondary played poorly. #6 is a stud. He made three incredible catches last night that the typical we doesn’t get. NFL prospect. Probably about 50% of their passing yards on those three plays.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:26 am

MountainCat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am
-Good: Casey Bauman played damn good football last night, especially considering this is his second game. He looks solid and confident leading this team, especially with his very limited experience, that gets me excited for his future! Casey, Troy, and Travis seem to be comfortable being constantly switched in and out which provides a lot of confusing looks for the defense. The D-line is a beast! Bryce Sterk is a quarterback eating MONSTER! If the D-line was heavily involved in the play, they created havoc and mismatches most of the time.

-The Bad: I believe that part of the reason Casey misses on some of those passes is simply because he has a hard time getting in a rhythm when it’s constant substitution in and out with Anderson and Johnson. Casey will get better with his touch...

-I’ll likely get flamed for this, but... Our defense was excellent last night on the line and for much of our linebacker play, but I thought our back end play SUCKED! Intermediate throws were typically wide open and allowed solid gains almost every time. There were some HUGE holes on a few run plays that should have been stopped 3-6 yards deep, and we didn’t have a defensive player within several yards. I’m not sure if that’s inexperience or scheme creating the gaps, but they need to tighten it up... We gave up 2 passing touchdowns that should have been easily defended, and the scrambling, no look, lob-it-up catch/score in the end zone with 2 clueless Bobcat defenders within feet of the receiver was just embarrassing! We were also lucky on a few passing plays that would have gone for large gains had the receiver caught (very catchable) balls when our guys were simply beat. We got the win, and it looked the part, and we are improving, but there is still work to be done in my opinion on our D. Like everyone else I’m excited for the win last night, but I also think we can clean it up and improve substantially, it’s going to matter in the next 6-8 weeks...

Santacaterina was 13-28 for 114 with 1 TD and 1 INT and somehow our back end sucked? Yes the scramble TD was bad but c'mon man. He had nobody to throw to most of the time, and that wasn't just because of the pass rush.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am

MountainCat wrote:

My perception of the DBs was totally different.

Their stud QB went 13/28 for 114 yards. That’s pretty damn good defense. Their preseason all American WR had 77 yards.

Also I consider that long ball down the sideline a lucky fluke. Our guys were both playing the ball in the air and I think they ran into each other and the ball landed right in the WRs hands.

I would have liked to have held them to zero yards passing, but that’s just not going to happen.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:33 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am
MountainCat wrote:

Their stud QB went 13/28 for 114 yards. That’s pretty damn good defense. Their preseason all American WR had 77 yards.

Also I consider that long ball down the sideline a lucky fluke. Our guys were both playing the ball in the air and I think they ran into each other and the ball landed right in the WRs hands.

I would have liked to have held them to zero yards passing, but that’s just not going to happen.
Right on with that deep ball, it was an under thrown ball which is tough for dB to adjust on, usually ends in a PI. 2 of their AA WR catches came in blanketed coverage right between Thomas and Konkol. Nothing you can do there but tip your cap.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am

A lot more could be said, but I'll just highlight one guy from each phase who I was impressed with:

Demareus Hosey: Hosey doesn't have Ifanse's vision and patience, nor his contact balance, but he has a lot of juice. I was impressed with his burst to the hole. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him incorporated.

Derek Marks: The 3 technique is a fit! He was getting some quick pressure, got multiple QB hits, and forced some bad throws. And he was no liability against the run either. SEMO couldn't make any hay in short yardage for most of the night.

Coy Steel: After making a big play last week vs. Texas Tech, he came out on fire on special teams with a couple really nice solo tackles in kick coverage and a blocked punt. I think this kid needs to be incorporated into the offense.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:42 am

I'm going to add 2 things.

1 good. Choate knows when to get in a guys face, and went to pat him on the helmet and tell him good work. I mentioned already that he cussed Casey out for missing Scrempos on a sure TD but he also gave him praise on a couple plays that didn't go our way but Casey made good decisions and the right play.

1 ugly. The replay booth in FCS is a joke. The fumble by Santacaterina in the 1st quarter should have been reviewed and there was a clear targeting penalty on a run in the 2nd half. I believe it was Hosey and he was already wrapped up and #6 or #8 put the top of his helmet right into Hosey's facemask.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:56 am

KittieKop wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:30 am
The botched punt was a mess from the start. One player running on three field late with under 10 sec on the play clock, too many players in motion on the play, a rushed snap that bounced to Padmos, the fumble and the muff when trying to pick it back up. Whole unit was unprepared that play. Good time for a TO, get your crap together. Wasn't just the Padmos drop.
Echo that!!! You could sense there was nothing good going to happen as it was unfolding.

Question: I know the coach can call time out in that situation.....but can someone on the field call TO.... could Patmos have said “this looks like a freakin train wreck happening......and signaled TO”.? Does Coach Choate give someone on the field that option? Just curious....and I will never ever ever be critical of Coach Choate’s management of time outs after “The Time Out of All Time” in Grizzlyville last year.

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MountainCat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:59 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am
MountainCat wrote:

Ha ha ha! Maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way and I want too much fellas, I’m selfish like that!! 😂

Personally, I felt the low passing yards from SEMO we’re because of the constant pressure up front and collapsing pocket around the QB, not because our DB’s were smothering their receivers. I feel like better passing teams will exploit us on short to medium passes this season IF we don’t tighten up there. I may be wrong fellas, I truly hope I am.

So yep, I’m being score stingy. 😁 I’m a HUGE believer in Coach Choate and the culture he’s growing here for Montana State, selfishly I just want to see this team that I feel is incredibly talented be top tier because I know they can be. Last night we soundly beat a team ranked a spot ahead of us and there was no question that we were the DOMINANT team for at least 2+ quarters. I’m excited to see us put it all together and continue to grow! So please forgive me for a bit of selfish ambition for our team guys, too much early enthusiasm I guess...... 😉

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 am

Another “good” on Casey is his mobility. I continue to be surprised at his speed and mobility for as big as he is. He made several good scrambles last night to keep plays alive. Opposing defenses are not going to be able to just “pin their ears back” and aim for center of the backfield. And he will continue to get better as he senses the game speed and the pressure as he matures into the role.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:08 am

I also thought the gameday production was awesome. Got rid of some of the lame cams. Added some good classic sing alongs. Horses and pyro are always awesome. Good job @BethanyCordell and crew.

Also. Student section was awesome. Band was huge! the entire crowd was in mid season form. .
Last edited by wbtfg on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 am

lutecat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:59 am
superbobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:29 am
GOOD :

FINALLY the young lady in green who freed the Ta Ta’s a little to much in front of my kids 👌
Where do you sit, and can I sit with you the next game?

At the very least you owe us an explanation of what happened here. Was it on purpose or were they just falling out?
Who said they were “falling out”? I imagine as it got a little cooler with the breeze coming up and the ballgame tightening.....they may have just been “perking up”. At least that is another possible scenario.....

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:16 am

Specifically on Bauman, it was great to see another game without a TO, and his escapability showed at times. Now I'd like to see his accuracy improve on shorter routes. Some of his completions, if placed better, could allow the receivers to do a lot more after the catch.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:08 am
I also thought the gameday production was awesome. Got rid of some of the lame cams. Added some good classic sing alongs. Horses and pyro are always awesome. Good job @BethanyCordell and crew.

Also. Student section was awesome. Band was huge! the entire crowd was in mid season form. .
+1 on the kudos to the game day crew! Whether you are pro or anti-Neil Diamond, seems like the crowd engaged!!

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 am

RobertCats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am
wbtfg wrote:

+1 on the kudos to the game day crew! Whether you are pro or anti-Neil Diamond, seems like the crowd engaged!!

Wow....student section was really into it!! Great to see.

Pecos24

Post by Pecos24 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:57 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am
Coy Steel: After making a big play last week vs. Texas Tech, he came out on fire on special teams with a couple really nice solo tackles in kick coverage and a blocked punt. I think this kid needs to be incorporated into the offense.
Good call.. Coy was huge in special teams yesterday. I may be wrong on the player, but I believe Amandre Williams had some big tackles on special teams as well.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:00 am

RobertCats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am
wbtfg wrote:

Just like I said, anybody that says the students dont get into that song is not paying attention.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Pecos24

Post by Pecos24 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:13 am

Another Good:
Butts in seats at the start of 3rd qtr. It wasn’t filled up but it was close, at least in my area.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:17 am

Pecos24 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:13 am
Another Good:
Butts in seats at the start of 3rd qtr. It wasn’t filled up but it was close, at least in my area.
The folks who left early for half and returned late missed a ton of action.