Unsung Heroes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Unsung Heroes

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:46 am

Who did you see step up? The obvious ones get their recognition and it is deserved, but who quietly showed up to play?

1. Snell- blocked well

2. Krone cowboyed up.

3. Derek Marks plays big for a small DT.

4. Hosey can play!

utucats
Member # Retired

Re: Unsung Heroes

Post by utucats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:57 am

Coy Steel

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:09 am

utucats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:57 am
Coy Steel
Yep!!!

And Logan Jones! \:D/

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:15 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:09 am
utucats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:57 am
Coy Steel
Yep!!!

And Logan Jones! \:D/
Yes sir. Great thing about this team is we have so many kids with the talent to impact the game.

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:21 am

I think Coy sparks the team more than Patterson. I see him moving ahead of Willie on the depth chart.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:21 am
I think Coy sparks the team more than Patterson. I see him moving ahead of Willie on the depth chart.
If Willie is injured, he'll have to.

Or they'll play McCutcheon outside and move Kassis to the slot more.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:08 am

One of the things you always see of great teams at college football at all levels is the ability for the next guy to step up and not have a huge, if any, drop off. I'm not saying we're great yet, but the fact that especially our RB situation looks to be really really good right now, is something that bodes really well for the program.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 am

Hardy gets my vote. Thought he had a great game.

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:25 am

Now that you mention it, I agree, he laid the wood on a couple of plays. He is an impressive looking athlete.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:30 am

RJ Fitzgerald. Was on the field maybe 40% of the time. He is flat out going to block somebody every play and they know they've been blocked.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am

Rygg

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:39 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:30 am
RJ Fitzgerald. Was on the field maybe 40% of the time. He is flat out going to block somebody every play and they know they've been blocked.
True

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 am

Daniel Hardy really flashed on defense. He looks outstanding.

Linebackers are 200% better than last year.

DBs were outstanding.

Really glad Logan Jones is back for this season.

Thought Matt Miller’s playcalling was outstanding. Did anyone see (I think it was) Jason Scrempos wide open in the end zone? Unfortunately Bauman was under duress and couldn’t get the ball off. Great, creative play calling.

Also, Kane Ioane had SEMOs QB thoroughly flustered.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 am

DBs were outstanding.

Thought Matt Miller’s playcalling was outstanding. Did anyone see (I think it was) Jason Scrempos wide open in the end zone? Unfortunately Bauman was under duress and couldn’t get the ball off. Great, creative play calling.

Yes I saw the play you are referring to. Someone was wide open on the left side also. I think we will see some variation of that play again.

And three QB rotation clearly had SEMO “on their heels” in Q1. Perhaps a topic for another thread but it begs the question, can a 3QB rotation be successful for a full season or was this just a game to get a good look at some options to be used from time to time during season.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:11 am

wbtfg wrote:

DBs were outstanding.

After that play where Scrempos was wide open, Choate immediately went over to Casey as he came off the field, and yelled "that wasn't the God damn play! That's a fu***n touchdown!!!" Could hear him plain as day from my seat. Got a pretty good laugh from all the fans around me.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 am
wbtfg wrote:

DBs were outstanding.

Yes I saw the play you are referring to. Someone was wide open on the left side also. I think we will see some variation of that play again.

And three QB rotation clearly had SEMO “on their heels” in Q1. Perhaps a topic for another thread but it begs the question, can a 3QB rotation be successful for a full season or was this just a game to get a good look at some options to be used from time to time during season.
I don’t really consider this a QB rotation. MSU has completely different packages for each player they plug into that spot. It isn’t like they’re putting pure QBs, which Bauman is, into that spot. One is a linebacker/running back. The other is a wide receiver. I think you’re going to see other non-pure QBs hop in there. Kassis, Williams and Patterson, if healthy.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:23 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 am
Hardy gets my vote. Thought he had a great game.
Yes definitely, and I thought Jo Jo had a couple timely big plays also.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 am
BobcatDel wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

DBs were outstanding.

I don’t really consider this a QB rotation. MSU has completely different packages for each player they plug into that spot. It isn’t like they’re putting pure QBs, which Bauman is, into that spot. One is a linebacker/running back. The other is a wide receiver. I think you’re going to see other non-pure QBs hop in there. Kassis, Williams and Patterson, if healthy.
Ha! So there will be plays where we have zero QBs on the field. Or no QBs but a “pure” QB playing “pseudo” wide receiver. Maybe we can have a 1 “pure” QB and 5 “pseudo” QB rotation. Just kidding...I get your point.

As to my votes on unsung heroes, Logan Jones was going to get my vote mainly for the 35 yard return to open the second half...really helped kick start H2 on the right foot......then his 55 yard TD helped start demoralizing them. Hosey filling in for Ifanse was a close second.

Several on D already mentioned above worthy of note.

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 am

I’m going to go with KTII, Karl Tucker2. Dude has assumed many rolls on this club since getting here. He ran with heart vision and power on his few rushes. He was rewarded for his efforts with a td and his team showed their appreciation after his score. It definitely takes a lot of guys to pull off a win in a college game, from the scout team to the trainers, coaches and stars. It truly is a team game that requires buy in from everyone. Nice win fellas!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:47 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 am
BobcatDel wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

DBs were outstanding.

Ha! So there will be plays where we have zero QBs on the field. Or no QBs but a “pure” QB playing “pseudo” wide receiver. Maybe we can have a 1 “pure” QB and 5 “pseudo” QB rotation. Just kidding...I get your point.

As to my votes on unsung heroes, Logan Jones was going to get my vote mainly for the 35 yard return to open the second half...really helped kick start H2 on the right foot......then his 55 yard TD helped start demoralizing them. Hosey filling in for Ifanse was a close second.

Several on D already mentioned above worthy of note.
Usually when a team rotates qbs (the dreaded two qbs = no qbs) they both operate the same system. What MSU does isn’t like that. I don’t know maybe I’m off on that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber