2019 MT High School Football - Week 2

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2019 MT High School Football - Week 2

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am

Class AA

1.) Bozeman (1-0)
2.) Billings West (1-0)
3.) Butte (1-0)
4.) Missoula Sentinel (1-0)
5.) Helena Capital (1-0)
6.) Kalispell Glacier (1-0)
7.) Helena High (1-0)
8.) Billings Senior (0-1)
9.) Missoula Hellgate (0-0)
10.) Great Falls High (0-1)

Game(s) of the Week: Billings Senior @ Missoula Sentinel

Player(s) of the Week (#1): Butte QB Tommy Mellott - 18/23 for 332 passing yards and 5 touchdowns/1 interception with 55 rushing yards vs. Belgrade; Missoula Sentinel RB/WR Jaxon Lee - 19 carries for 221 yards and 3 touchdowns with 4 catches for 11 yards vs. Great Falls High; Helena Capital WR/DB Parker Johnston - 5 catches for 171 yards and 2 touchdowns with 2 interception return touchdowns vs. Billings Senior; Bozeman FB/DE Kenneth Eiden IV - 10 tackles, 4 sacks, 6 TFLs, 2 catches for 40 yards and a touchdown, 3 carries for 17 yards vs. Kalispell Flathead

Special Notes: A lot of deserving performances but these three players opened eyes with their Week 1 performances. Mellott needs to have a big senior season to guide Butte where they want to be at the end of the year and he looked outstanding at QB. Many esteemed Montana media members told us to take a "wait and see" approach with Jaxon Lee's transition to AA because...he had yet to play in a AA game ( :roll: :roll: :roll: ). I said to hell with that approach and ranked Jaxon where I thought he should be in my Top 50 and he didn't disappoint. There will be games where he goes over 200 on the ground then games where he may go over 200 through the air. He is the best weapon in the state at any level. As for Parker Johnston, he moved to corner two weeks ago per his head coach and he rewarded his coach with 2 interceptions returned for touchdowns in a huge opening week win versus Billings Senior. Parker also continued his elite route running and YAC ability at WR.

Class A

1.) Hamilton (1-0)
2.) Miles City (1-0)
3.) Frenchtown (1-0)
4.) Laurel (1-0)
5.) Dillon (0-1)
6.) Billings Central (0-0)
7.) Libby (1-0)
8.) Lewistown (1-0)
9.) Butte Central (0-1)
10.) Sidney (1-0)

Game(s) of the Week: Lewistown @ Billings Central; Butte Central @ Frenchtown

Player(s) of the Week (#1): Hamilton QB Carson Rostad - 28/44 for 396 yards passing and 4 touchdowns with 63 rushing yards and 2 more touchdowns vs. Butte Central

Special Notes: It's almost routine at this point for Carson to put up that stat line each week. Some other really good performances in Class A like Jace Klucewich of Frenchtown and Jess Bellows of Miles City to name a few. But Rostad is the standard.

Class B

1.) Missoula Loyola (1-0)
2.) Fairfield (0-0)
3.) Eureka (1-0)
4.) Colstrip (0-0)
5.) Huntley Project (0-1)
6.) Manhattan (0-0)
7.) Red Lodge (1-0)
8.) Malta (0-0)
9.) Florence (1-0)
10.) Townsend (1-0)

Game(s) of the Week: Missoula Loyola @ Fairfield; Townsend @ Eureka; Florence @ Manhattan

Player(s) of the Week (#1): Townsend QB Trey Hoveland - 21/35 for 257 yards and 2 touchdowns vs. Bigfork

Special Notes: There were other kids with some solid performances in Class B but sophomore QB Trey Hoveland went into Bigfork and took down the Vikings (which is no easy task on the road). QB Hank Dunn and RB Chet McCulley also had standout games for Eureka but Hoveland put up the best performance given the situation (inexperienced QB playing Bigfork on the road).

Class C (8-man)

1.) Fairview (1-0)
2.) Shelby (1-0)
3.) Alberton/Superior (1-0)
4.) Drummond/Philipsburg (0-1)
5.) Fort Benton (1-0)
6.) Belt (1-0)
7.) Great Falls Central (1-0)
8.) Joliet (0-1)
9.) Park City (1-0)
tie10.) Centerville (1-0)
tie10.) West Yellowstone (1-0)

Game(s) of the Week: Great Falls Central @ Belt

Player(s) of the Week (#1): Alberton/Superior QB Bryan Mask - 22/34 for 456 yards and 8 passing touchdowns/1 interception along with 92 rushing yards and 1 more touchdown vs. Drummond/Philipsburg

Special Notes: Everyone knew Flint Creek would be less talented due to the transfer of Jaxon Lee...but I don't think the high school media members predicted this performance from Mask versus the two-time defending champs. This was the most unexpected performance I've ever seen since I started tracking high school football stats five years ago. I knew Clark Fork would be competitive this year because they had players like Mask and RB Trey Green (who also had a great game with 5 touchdowns and 200 plus total yards) but I didn't predict they would do this.

Class C (6-man)

1.) Wibaux (1-0)
2.) Big Sandy (1-0)
3.) Richey/Lambert (1-0)
4.) Jordan (0-1)
5.) Hot Springs (1-0)
6.) Shields Valley (1-0)
7.) Westby/Grenora (1-0)
8.) Power/Dutton/Brady (1-0)
9.) Valley Christian (1-0)
10.) White Sulphur Springs (1-0)

Game(s) of the Week: Richey/Lambert @ White Sulphur Springs; Shields Valley @ Valley Christian

Player(s) of the Week (#1): Big Sandy RB Kade Strutz - 28 rushes for 232 yards and 5 touchdowns vs. Jordan

Special Notes: Great opening week game versus to 6-man powers in Jordan vs. Big Sandy with the Pioneers being the victor. Big Sandy has a loaded backfield and will be hard to slow down this year with Strutz and Brock Proulx (who both average around 200 lbs.) running the ball.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2019 MT High School Football - Week 2

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:24 pm

Did Park forfeit the rest of their season? I just heard a rumor.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:57 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:24 pm
I just looked on maxpreps and saw where Fergus just crushed them... Sure do hope that what you heard is just a rumor...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:41 am

LTown Cat wrote:
They did. Officially happened yesterday. A few players transferred out (including star junior WR/DB Jack Waddell who went to Laurel) before the season started. Too bad for the community.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:41 am

RickRund wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:57 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
I just looked on maxpreps and saw where Fergus just crushed them... Sure do hope that what you heard is just a rumor...
Park was extremely young, and not a lot of size either, they got manhandled by Fergus, I kind of felt bad for them. They also had a couple of injuries too.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:31 am

I just saw a headline that they forfeited rest of season

IYAACYAS

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:07 am

This shouldn't be happening at a Class A school. It's that simple.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:42 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:07 am

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, it's a trend state-wide (probably nationally). Up until a few years ago the AA teams had a freshman, sophomore, JV and Varsity squads. As of a few years ago, there is no sophomore games anymore. It's because participation and thus depth is down.

What's causing it? Video games? Concussion scare? Changes in parental and kids attitudes? Kids involved in other sports? Probably all of these, and more. Makes me think of the Dr. Pepper ad on TV right now where the football crazed parents walk into the kids room and are shocked when the kid is looking at lacrosse videos and holding a lacrosse stick and says, "It's the fastest growing sport, Mom".

I don't know what can be done. Here in Helena, they've changed up the Small Fry program to have a modified and padded flag team for 5th graders, 6th grade is padded tackle but 9 on 9, and then regular 11 on 11 tackle for 7th and 8th graders. All with the goal of keeping participation up, and the risk of injury down. Will it help? Only time will tell. But bottom line is that the lack of participation will lead to the decline of quality football in Montana High Schools...at all levels. We've got to try to correct this - wish I had the answers.

The silver lining for me, is more opportunities for my boys. :D

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Feel bad for my Rangers... Really stinks.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:39 pm

Hoveland had a tougher night tonight.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:39 pm
I'm telling you man, Bigfork is NOT good! :lol: They will be, but they're 2/3 Freshmen and sophomores, AND a new coaching staff. I was happy with how they played against Townsend, but the fact that they were in that game is a little bit of a knock on Townsend.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:28 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:42 am
VimSince03 wrote:

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, it's a trend state-wide (probably nationally). Up until a few years ago the AA teams had a freshman, sophomore, JV and Varsity squads. As of a few years ago, there is no sophomore games anymore. It's because participation and thus depth is down.

What's causing it? Video games? Concussion scare? Changes in parental and kids attitudes? Kids involved in other sports? Probably all of these, and more. Makes me think of the Dr. Pepper ad on TV right now where the football crazed parents walk into the kids room and are shocked when the kid is looking at lacrosse videos and holding a lacrosse stick and says, "It's the fastest growing sport, Mom".

I don't know what can be done. Here in Helena, they've changed up the Small Fry program to have a modified and padded flag team for 5th graders, 6th grade is padded tackle but 9 on 9, and then regular 11 on 11 tackle for 7th and 8th graders. All with the goal of keeping participation up, and the risk of injury down. Will it help? Only time will tell. But bottom line is that the lack of participation will lead to the decline of quality football in Montana High Schools...at all levels. We've got to try to correct this - wish I had the answers.

I think it boils down to whether or not kids are having fun. And what we used to think was fun isn't fun for some of these kids. Yell at a kid and the fun switch turns off. Kid gets hurt and the fun switch turns off. Right or wrong, kids are different. A coach flat out makes or breaks a program anymore. Recruit (out of your hallways), encourage, teach, LOVE, retain. If kids aren't smiling, they're not engaged. I do think the concussion scare is hurting football, but I think the fear of other injuries aren't helping either. Park had enough kids out to field a team, but they were young. Parents are nervous about sending their 135 pound, 14-year-old kid out to possibly get blasted by a 230 pound 18-year-old. Parents tell the AD their kid's not playing against those kids. And if the parents don't love football, why in the world would they send their kid out there to possibly get hurt? I don't know Livingston really well, but it doesn't seem like a town that really embraces football anymore.

Some have questioned whether this move by Park was to save themselves from embarrassment, but in my opinion it's more embarrassing to forfeit a season--I've had to do it as an AD and it' sucks. I think they did what they had to do and I think it's the best thing for their football program moving forward. This way these younger players have some success and they have a chance to have some fun, then they're encouraged enough to come out next year when they're a little more mature and possibly compete at the varsity level.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:07 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:28 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I think it boils down to whether or not kids are having fun. And what we used to think was fun isn't fun for some of these kids. Yell at a kid and the fun switch turns off. Kid gets hurt and the fun switch turns off. Right or wrong, kids are different. A coach flat out makes or breaks a program anymore. Recruit (out of your hallways), encourage, teach, LOVE, retain. If kids aren't smiling, they're not engaged. I do think the concussion scare is hurting football, but I think the fear of other injuries aren't helping either. Park had enough kids out to field a team, but they were young. Parents are nervous about sending their 135 pound, 14-year-old kid out to possibly get blasted by a 230 pound 18-year-old. Parents tell the AD their kid's not playing against those kids. And if the parents don't love football, why in the world would they send their kid out there to possibly get hurt? I don't know Livingston really well, but it doesn't seem like a town that really embraces football anymore.

Some have questioned whether this move by Park was to save themselves from embarrassment, but in my opinion it's more embarrassing to forfeit a season--I've had to do it as an AD and it' sucks. I think they did what they had to do and I think it's the best thing for their football program moving forward. This way these younger players have some success and they have a chance to have some fun, then they're encouraged enough to come out next year when they're a little more mature and possibly compete at the varsity level.
I saw Park play Fergus, this was the right move, those kids were too young and not big enough for Varsity Class A football. This is a decision based on safety for the kids. I don't know what all happened for them to have so few upper classmen, but that is the situation they have now. I saw some young kids on their team that have a lot of potential, but they need a year or 2 playing JV before they will compete.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:11 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:07 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I saw Park play Fergus, this was the right move, those kids were too young and not big enough for Varsity Class A football. This is a decision based on safety for the kids. I don't know what all happened for them to have so few upper classmen, but that is the situation they have now. I saw some young kids on their team that have a lot of potential, but they need a year or 2 playing JV before they will compete.
That's exactly what I was hoping for. Hopefully those kids stay interested and keep having fun.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:59 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:15 pm
Bemiller49 wrote:
I'm telling you man, Bigfork is NOT good! :lol: They will be, but they're 2/3 Freshmen and sophomores, AND a new coaching staff. I was happy with how they played against Townsend, but the fact that they were in that game is a little bit of a knock on Townsend.
Bigfork won this weekend. :-k :-k

In the first quarter of the Eureka game Townsend lost Hoveland's 2 main receiving threats when Aaron Geisser (ACL torn, done for the year) and Gavin Vandenacre (past concussion test but coach errored on the side of caution and kept him out) were knocked out of the game. Any B school that loses not only its best WR's but as well as its main defenders on the back end are going to struggle. Townsend thumped Bigfork and the score was not indicative of the differences between those two teams... as it often can be.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:59 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:15 pm
Bemiller49 wrote:
Bigfork won this weekend. :-k :-k

In the first quarter of the Eureka game Townsend lost Hoveland's 2 main receiving threats when Aaron Geisser (ACL torn, done for the year) and Gavin Vandenacre (past concussion test but coach errored on the side of caution and kept him out) were knocked out of the game. Any B school that loses not only its best WR's but as well as its main defenders on the back end are going to struggle. Townsend thumped Bigfork and the score was not indicative of the differences between those two teams... as it often can be.
They won scoring 12 points in overtime. The OP had said Bigfork was one of the top teams in the West, and I didn't agree with that. They're not the worst team in the world either, so they squeaked by Cut Bank, which was a nice win for them. But they were ranked 3rd coming into the season and that was outrageous, so basically I've just been saying they're not THAT good.

I thought Townsend had a nice looking team, but we mostly noticed their two WR's, so losing them is huge. I think #72 is an absolute animal too. I was not surprised that Eureka beat them because I think Eureka is good, but I was surprised they won so handily. That explains a lot. I think a lot of people thought Townsend was great because they beat Bigfork, but I think some average teams might be able to beat Bigfork. And the fact that Bigfork had a chance to win that game wasn't a good sign for Townsend.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:28 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:11 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:07 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Hopefully those kids stay interested and keep having fun.

Don't know about Montana, but in my part of the world the arrival of high school Soccer carved a huge divot in the football rosters.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:48 am

My boys ended up playing soccer because of their size, just didn't get big enough to play Class A football. I myself wanted to play football at GFHS but I too was pretty small and opted out. I didn't grow until after high school. If they had soccer back then I probably would have played that.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

hokeyfine

Post by hokeyfine » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:27 am

I dunno...... I was 150lbs trying to tackle Brian Morris and my parents never voiced a concern ....😂😂😂😂
My boys were great athletes and played soccer because the coaches in Junior high played favorites and totally turned them off.
I know that overall participation in fall sports is up at some schools.

hokeyfine

Post by hokeyfine » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:17 pm

hokeyfine wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:27 am
I dunno...... I was 150lbs trying to tackle Brian Morris and my parents never voiced a concern ....😂😂😂😂
My boys were great athletes and played soccer because the coaches in Junior high played favorites and totally turned them off.
I know that overall participation in fall sports is up at some schools.
the junior high football coaches...