Friz vs USD

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: Friz vs USD

Post by cats2506 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:42 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:59 pm
RickRund wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:46 pm
StatedImprovement wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:01 pm
Oops... this cat fan ^|^ is both bitter and butt-hurt
So I guess you can't answer the question... Is this the semester that puts cc of um under 7000?
Word on the street is that enrollment is trending up. Sorry to disappoint you.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:55 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
RickRund wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
So I guess you can't answer the question... Is this the semester that puts cc of um under 7000?
Define "trending up" for me? Is being down 5-7% for total enrollment this fall "trending up?" Is having 100 less housing applications than last year "trending up?" As much as it would be good for the state to have UM start to "trend up" so they stop hemorrhaging money, unfortunately, it isn't happening this year.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:23 am

coachouert wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:55 am
GRIZFNZ wrote:
RickRund wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
Define "trending up" for me? Is being down 5-7% for total enrollment this fall "trending up?" Is having 100 less housing applications than last year "trending up?" As much as it would be good for the state to have UM start to "trend up" so they stop hemorrhaging money, unfortunately, it isn't happening this year.
The most recent statistics available (2016-2017 academic year) have MSU's acceptance rate at 82.9% and um's acceptance rate at 92.4%. This seems to indicate students are applying to MSU faster than MSU can accommodate growth.

MSU is doing a good job, but they couldn't have realistically forecasted um being such a sh--hole and dumpster fire. If and when um's enrollment ever starts going up it will be because applicants couldn't get into MSU. um is and always will be sloppy seconds.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:31 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:23 am
coachouert wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
RickRund wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
The most recent statistics available (2016-2017 academic year) have MSU's acceptance rate at 82.9% and um's acceptance rate at 92.4%. This seems to indicate students are applying to MSU faster than MSU can accommodate growth.

MSU is doing a good job, but they couldn't have realistically forecasted um being such a sh--hole and dumpster fire. If and when um's enrollment ever starts going up it will be because applicants couldn't get into MSU. um is and always will be sloppy seconds.
MSU and UM have the exact same admissions requirements so a student who gets into one will get into the other. The lower acceptance rate is due to MSU's larger application pool as students will not always complete the application process, which in turn means they were not accepted. It makes MSU look more competitive than we really are in reality.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 pm

coachouert wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:31 am
Cledus wrote:
coachouert wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
RickRund wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:

MSU and UM have the exact same admissions requirements so a student who gets into one will get into the other. The lower acceptance rate is due to MSU's larger application pool as students will not always complete the application process, which in turn means they were not accepted. It makes MSU look more competitive than we really are in reality.
Bottom line, if students get accepted to each school, more and more are choosing, and will continue to choose, MSU. The best and brightest from Montana have consistently chosen MSU at a much higher rate for many years. Now just about everyone, at least at about a 3:1 ratio, are choosing MSU. um really has only a few good programs. The others keep getting more and more budget cuts...well, they never cut the Athletics budget.

The other thing that I keep hearing from various um alumni friends is that it is extremely difficult for Montana kids, even from griz legacy families, to get into a graduate program at um. Evidently, um is only generally accepting out of state kids so that they get a much higher tuition. What a great way to build in-state support.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:40 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 pm
coachouert wrote:
Cledus wrote:
coachouert wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
RickRund wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:

Bottom line, if students get accepted to each school, more and more are choosing, and will continue to choose, MSU. The best and brightest from Montana have consistently chosen MSU at a much higher rate for many years. Now just about everyone, at least at about a 3:1 ratio, are choosing MSU. um really has only a few good programs. The others keep getting more and more budget cuts...well, they never cut the Athletics budget.

The other thing that I keep hearing from various um alumni friends is that it is extremely difficult for Montana kids, even from griz legacy families, to get into a graduate program at um. Evidently, um is only generally accepting out of state kids so that they get a much higher tuition. What a great way to build in-state support.
I have no idea if this is a bigger thing state wide or not but a lot of local kids that went to um right out of HS have switched and are now at MSU after a year or so in Missoula.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:58 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 pm
coachouert wrote:
Cledus wrote:
coachouert wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
RickRund wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:

Could also mean the graduate programs at UM realize that their undergraduate programs are doing a sh*tty job of preparing their students for grad school.

GO CATS GO!!!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:50 pm

And then the cc of um come back with a totally off the wall comment regarding burgers being more available after 10:30 pm on the east side of town...
I would actually be apologetic at the state of my beloved university. Failure should not be acceptable. They should not be allowing the dumpster fire..... But their football and basketball teams are winning ](*,) ](*,)

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.