QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:10 pm

It's gonna be Bauman.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:28 pm

If Rovig and Baumann are equal on balance (leadership, accuracy, decision-making, arm-strength, etc.), then I think Choate will go with the younger player, i.e., Baumann.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:48 pm

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 am

I admit I have no idea what the offense will be like. I’d like to see Bauman get a lot of opportunities and for the coaches to use the game as a trial run. I don’t think that they will. So I’m putting the O/U on pass attempts by Bauman vs TT at 15. I doubt we run a lot of plays and probably punt 7-8 times.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:50 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 am
I admit I have no idea what the offense will be like. I’d like to see Bauman get a lot of opportunities and for the coaches to use the game as a trial run. I don’t think that they will. So I’m putting the O/U on pass attempts by Bauman vs TT at 15. I doubt we run a lot of plays and probably punt 7-8 times.
I honestly think you’ll see Bauman a little, TA a little, Kassis, and Jonsen and probably a little Rovig. I have a feeling that will be the case for your first few games until they dial in a true starter and game manager. I still think TA ends up there in the end. I’ve already heard the whole offense clicks when he runs it and on a whole different level than when anyone else does.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:59 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:50 am
iaafan wrote:
I honestly think you’ll see Bauman a little, TA a little, Kassis, and Jonsen and probably a little Rovig. I have a feeling that will be the case for your first few games until they dial in a true starter and game manager. I still think TA ends up there in the end. I’ve already heard the whole offense clicks when he runs it and on a whole different level than when anyone else does.
I think the same thing, although I'm not ready to say TA will be the guy in the end. I wouldn't argue that's he's the better guy right now, but at this point Bauman basically has no game experience. I think the Cats have TA ready to go while Bauman gets some games under his belt and gets comfortable. I really believe he's athletic enough, smart enough and confident enough to be MSU's best option at QB by October. I do think TA is the best QB right now, but I think Bauman catches him with a little experience.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:02 am

](*,) I am sure griz nation would like to see that kind of disfunction, but Coach Choate has a vision and has done a great job of developing it. I have no doubts we won’t sprinkle in a few surprises, but this offense is going to develop into CASEY’S offense. Our defense beat you last year, our offense will take its turn this year. GO CATS!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:12 am

I actually liked Colter's FIVE QB :shock: idea from the last podcast. It wouldn't help Bauman's development at all but it would be fun to watch and opponents wouldn't know what to do or how to prepare.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:13 am

Get the ball in the endzone with any QB that fits the formation being ran. Giddyup!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am

Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
:lol:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:18 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:13 am
Get the ball in the endzone with any QB that fits the formation being ran. Giddyup!
Exactly. It's clear GA really doesn't have an idea what our offense is looking like over here. And he's clearly still getting bad info from these "in-the-know" cat fans if heard the offense clicks on a whole other lever with Andersen back there. The dude has taken maybe 5 snaps total the last two practices. Lol.

I'd go even more extreme and suggest I thought the offense was "clicking on a whole other level" when Jonsen was getting the bulk of the snaps. But that's all relative as a lot of guys are gonna get their touches.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:21 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I feel responsible. If only I hadn’t posted that. I can only hope that this doesn’t go off the rails. :wink:

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:32 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:18 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:13 am
Exactly. It's clear GA really doesn't have an idea what our offense is looking like over here. And he's clearly still getting bad info from these "in-the-know" cat fans if heard the offense clicks on a whole other lever with Andersen back there. The dude has taken maybe 5 snaps total the last two practices. Lol.

I'd go even more extreme and suggest I thought the offense was "clicking on a whole other level" when Jonsen was getting the bulk of the snaps. But that's all relative as a lot of guys are gonna get their touches.
Hmmm, you tell me I have no idea what’s going on when I say you’ll have 4-5 guys taking snaps, yet you then admit that a lot of guys are gonna take snaps. Say what? So which is it?

Also one of the top sports reporters for the Cats has already said publicly that the offense is night and day when TA is running it. So it’s not just me saying it.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:36 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:21 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I feel responsible. If only I hadn’t posted that. I can only hope that this doesn’t go off the rails. :wink:
I’m still not 100% convinced Troy plays vs Texas tech, no inside info just a hunch.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:39 am

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:36 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I’m still not 100% convinced Troy plays vs Texas tech, no inside info just a hunch.
You're not convinced he plays at all or that he plays QB?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:45 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:12 am
I actually liked Colter's FIVE QB :shock: idea from the last podcast. It wouldn't help Bauman's development at all but it would be fun to watch and opponents wouldn't know what to do or how to prepare.
re-watched last years CalPoly game last night, when troy got his knee tweaked, next play Kassis took the snap for a long QB run inside the 5, following play Jonsen took the snap and ran it in, CP didnt know what to do, they had been dealing with Ifanse, Troy and Logan and non of them were even in the game.

I think CB will be the #1 QB for the season, but we will see several different players take wildcat type snaps at opportune moments.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:37 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:45 am
coloradocat wrote:
re-watched last years CalPoly game last night, when troy got his knee tweaked, next play Kassis took the snap for a long QB run inside the 5, following play Jonsen took the snap and ran it in, CP didnt know what to do, they had been dealing with Ifanse, Troy and Logan and non of them were even in the game.

I think CB will be the #1 QB for the season, but we will see several different players take wildcat type snaps at opportune moments.
Agreed. If you look at how the scrimmage went on Saturday, that all but confirms that a lot of guys are going to get snaps and it’s not going to be a traditional offense in the sense that the starting QB takes every snap.

I think Bauman takes over 50% of the snaps, But Troy will take snaps, Jonsen will take snaps, Kassis will take snaps, I could see Logan Jones getting his name called for direct snaps here and there, I would put money on Amandre Williams coming in and taking snaps here and there, specifically in the red zone.
If it all works, the offense could be very hard to defend if for no other reason that the D doesn’t have a clue what’s coming next. And it should give CB time to ease into the position more and get more and more comfortable as the season progresses.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:07 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:37 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:45 am
coloradocat wrote:

Agreed. If you look at how the scrimmage went on Saturday, that all but confirms that a lot of guys are going to get snaps and it’s not going to be a traditional offense in the sense that the starting QB takes every snap.

I think Bauman takes over 50% of the snaps, But Troy will take snaps, Jonsen will take snaps, Kassis will take snaps, I could see Logan Jones getting his name called for direct snaps here and there, I would put money on Amandre Williams coming in and taking snaps here and there, specifically in the red zone.
If it all works, the offense could be very hard to defend if for no other reason that the D doesn’t have a clue what’s coming next. And it should give CB time to ease into the position more and get more and more comfortable as the season progresses.
Love the different looks it gives. Also we need to get Rovig into the game to get some snaps. It's a long season.
Bauman at QB, Ifanse and Jones in the backfield, Troy and Jonsen on opposite sides as wide outs. And pass over the middle to the TE on a run to the end zone.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:09 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:39 am
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
If he plays at all. The big stud, heart and soul of our team coming off of shoulder surgery and a season where he took a TON of hits. It’s a game where we have very low probability of winning vs an FBS team and a loss doesn’t hurt our postseason chances much, if at all. I have to think the coaches at least consider holding him out. Risk outweighs the reward IMO.

Or he starts and if the game gets out of hand early they pull him out.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:14 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:09 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:39 am
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
If he plays at all. The big stud, heart and soul of our team coming off of shoulder surgery and a season where he took a TON of hits. It’s a game where we have very low probability of winning vs an FBS team and a loss doesn’t hurt our postseason chances much, if at all. I have to think the coaches at least consider holding him out. Risk outweighs the reward IMO.

Or he starts and if the game gets out of hand early they pull him out.
Troy will play in this game. Unless he gets injured between now and gametime, there's no chance he doesn't play.