Fall camp 2019

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Re: Fall camp 2019

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:01 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:57 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:44 am

Translation: They are trying to get Jaharie on the bus.
I think Jaharie is a big time special teams contributor this year. He blocked multiple kicks in high school and will blow some people up on kick return.
When I say "...on the bus", I mean Big Sky teams can only take a limited number of players on away trips per conference rules. So...if Jaharie is buried on the depth chart at MLB this year BUT can make an impact on special teams and as a short-yardage back, it would be beneficial for him to compete for the "short-yardage back" role.

I’ve been looking at this two different ways.

1) This might take some wear and tear off of TA which is a huge positive

2) Kane has said goals this year for the defense is to score and get takeaways. With all these Defenders getting short yardage reps isn’t that kinda cheating on the defense scoring?

Can anyone imagine a backfield with Anderson, Martin and Williams? They would crush a linebacking core at the goal line

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:29 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:18 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:41 pm
Does anyone have any kind of news on Filer’s injury?
Ioane’s interview mentioned he had an unfortunate injury on Saturday, I haven’t heard anyone else say anything about that.
Hope that’s not serious.
When he was injured it appeared to be his wrist or forearm. He has it in a sling today. Doesn't appear from observation to be too serious. It is not in a cast or anything.
Sling and grabbing of the forearm/wrist would seem to indicate a shoulder separation or something similar. Recovery time, I assume, would depend on severity. maybe @BozoneCat can offer his expertise.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:57 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:29 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
Ioane’s interview mentioned he had an unfortunate injury on Saturday, I haven’t heard anyone else say anything about that.
Hope that’s not serious.
When he was injured it appeared to be his wrist or forearm. He has it in a sling today. Doesn't appear from observation to be too serious. It is not in a cast or anything.
Sling and grabbing of the forearm/wrist would seem to indicate a shoulder separation or something similar. Recovery time, I assume, would depend on severity. maybe @BozoneCat can offer his expertise.
I’m thinking that when it comes to talking about injuries, discretion is the better part of valor.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:58 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:57 pm
wbtfg wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
Hope that’s not serious.
I’m thinking that when it comes to talking about injuries, discretion is the better part of valor.
I'd generally agree with you....I certainly wouldn't put anything out there. But if Kane and/or someone else puts it out, I think that opens the door to speculate.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

As far as the TE battle, Choate noted in his press conference yesterday that Ryan Davis and Jacob Hadley have moved into the 1a and 1b role. The bigger battle with the TE's is revolving around the #3 guy. Derryk Snell, Ryan Lonergan, Treyton Pickering, and Jarrett Kessler are all in that battle. Lonergan is making a significant push to be the #3 guy.

As far as the LB battle, I would not want to be the guy to make that decision. It is extremely close at the Mike and Will spots.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:08 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:58 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:57 pm
wbtfg wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
Hope that’s not serious.
I'd generally agree with you....I certainly wouldn't put anything out there. But if Kane and/or someone else puts it out, I think that opens the door to speculate.
I know Kane opened the door, and I’m not really speaking about the speculation side, but I’m just thinking specifics about the nature of the injury and the duration might give an edge to opponents.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:11 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

As far as the TE battle, Choate noted in his press conference yesterday that Ryan Davis and Jacob Hadley have moved into the 1a and 1b role. The bigger battle with the TE's is revolving around the #3 guy. Derryk Snell, Ryan Lonergan, Treyton Pickering, and Jarrett Kessler are all in that battle. Lonergan is making a significant push to be the #3 guy.

As far as the LB battle, I would not want to be the guy to make that decision. It is extremely close at the Mike and Will spots.
Who are the top 2 guys you'd say between "starting" Mike and Will?
Would imagine a combination of Jobman, Askelson (who I'm very high on), Hill, Kanow

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:11 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Who are the top 2 guys you'd say between "starting" Mike and Will?
Would imagine a combination of Jobman, Askelson (who I'm very high on), Hill, Kanow
Callahan O'Reilly is still strongly in the discussion for MLB honors. Walker Cozzie has also had a great final fall camp as he can play both Mike and Will. Then you have Gilman, Choate, and Flovin who flash. I think the only LB depth chart that is safe to set going into the season is at Sam. Troy is the 1 and Daniel Hardy is the 2.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Very impressive to see a true freshman push for time at TE. That's usually a position that requires a couple years of maturity. Lonergan could be very, very good.

As far as LB, I'm personally hoping for some combination of Andersen, Hill, and Askelson. Knowing that Hill might be on a snap count, I think Kanow should be next. Hill can arguably play Mike or Will quite well, and I think Kanow is a Will. Not sure if Askelson can play Will or not, Vim probably knows.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:05 pm

wbtfg wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
Hope that’s not serious.
So hard to say with such little information. I would never make the assumption that it is minor if a guy is having to wear a sling - doesn't mean it's a major thing, but it's not a minor thing either. If it was a wrist or forearm injury, I doubt he'd be in a sling unless he just couldn't keep from using that arm and it was more to keep him from doing anything with that side... more likely to be a brace of some sort if it was his wrist. Forearm injury could either be a break (but he'd likely be in a cast) or elbow injury (less likely to cast if broken, only needs to be pinned if the fracture is displaced), could definitely also be a shoulder separation or sprain. So, lots of things. Healing depends on what the injury is, severity, etc. CB's definitely need to be able to use their arms quite a bit, so it's not really something he can hide.

GO CATS GO!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:08 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:02 pm
Very impressive to see a true freshman push for time at TE. That's usually a position that requires a couple years of maturity. Lonergan could be very, very good.

As far as LB, I'm personally hoping for some combination of Andersen, Hill, and Askelson. Knowing that Hill might be on a snap count, I think Kanow should be next. Hill can arguably play Mike or Will quite well, and I think Kanow is a Will. Not sure if Askelson can play Will or not, Vim probably knows.
Nolan is definitely good enough to play both. But I think they want him to be a Mike.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:11 pm

bobcat99 wrote:

Lonergan really impressed me with his size and athletic build when I first saw him at fall camp. I thought he looked like he belonged. I’m really excited to see what he can do.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:43 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:08 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

Nolan is definitely good enough to play both. But I think they want him to be a Mike.
Makes sense to me.

Sam: Andersen, Hardy
Mike: Askelson, Jobman/O'Reilly
Will: Hill, Kanow/Jobman

We have so much depth at Mike. Askelson, Jobman, O'Reilly, Flovin, Martin, even Hill. That's insane. Then you have another guy in Cozzie who is a very capable backup.

I think Hill plays Will bc it's a little easier on his body than Mike. I'd love to see Gilman get snaps, but I just don't know who he plays over, tbh. There's a lot of talent at LB.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:49 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:43 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Makes sense to me.

We have so much depth at Mike. Askelson, Jobman, O'Reilly, Flovin, Martin, even Hill. That's insane. Then you have another guy in Cozzie who is a very capable backup.

I think Hill plays Will bc it's a little easier on his body than Mike. I'd love to see Gilman get snaps, but I just don't know who he plays over, tbh. There's a lot of talent at LB.
The most versatile of the whole group is Jobman...which is why he may or may not start but play a whole bunch of snaps. In my opinion, he's the only guy in the group that could jump in at Mike, Will, Sam, and Buck without the defense losing a beat.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:56 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:49 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Makes sense to me.

The most versatile of the whole group is Jobman...which is why he may or may not start but play a whole bunch of snaps. In my opinion, he's the only guy in the group that could jump in at Mike, Will, Sam, and Buck without the defense losing a beat.
This is where you and I differ.

I think he can play all those positions capably, but I do think the defense suffers, or declines a bit. Very versatile and important backup, but not the best player at any of his positions, imo. To have a backup like that though, very, very important.

I don't mind Jobman, I think he's dependable, he's just not a playmaker. Definitely a good player though.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Makes sense to me.

Jobman looked frickn' HUGE to me last week at practice. Is he really still fast enough to play outside?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:02 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:56 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Makes sense to me.

This is where you and I differ.

I think he can play all those positions capably, but I do think the defense suffers, or declines a bit. Very versatile and important backup, but not the best player at any of his positions, imo. To have a backup like that though, very, very important.

I don't mind Jobman, I think he's dependable, he's just not a playmaker. Definitely a good player though.
That's the point I'm trying to make. No other LB, with maybe the exception of Troy, could play all 4 LB spots and understand what his role is along with having the ability to hold up at the position. Many of the current LB's can play two, some can play three, but only Jobman can play all four in my opinion. When the crap hits the fan with injuries, its huge to have a player like Michael.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:06 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Makes sense to me.

Jobman looked frickn' HUGE to me last week at practice. Is he really still fast enough to play outside?
It was going to take three years for Michael to build up his upper body and his talent (yes 99 he has talent) got him early playing time in his career. Michael is a classic over-thinker so that has had an effect on his playmaking ability in my opinion. But he's played a lot of football for MSU already and has earned the trust of Choate and the other defensive coaches. If he has indeed finally gotten strong enough to hold up better in the run game and started to trust his natural instincts, we could see a different Michael Jobman going into his junior season.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:06 pm
91catAlum wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Makes sense to me.

It was going to take three years for Michael to build up his upper body and his talent (yes 99 he has talent) got him early playing time in his career. Michael is a classic over-thinker so that has had an effect on his playmaking ability in my opinion. But he's played a lot of football for MSU already and has earned the trust of Choate and the other defensive coaches. If he has indeed finally gotten strong enough to hold up better in the run game and started to trust his natural instincts, we could see a different Michael Jobman going into his junior season.
This may not be a valid point - those who know how our defense works can correct me. But doesn't traditionally the MLB play a big role in reading the offense and setting everyone up? I know Konkol could assist in that - but gotta think if thats the case Jobman would have a leg up as well over Askelson (who is just a freshman).

Jobman's size at 6-4, 240-250 + experience could help him out.

Regardless this is a very deep defense. Cannot wait for the season

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:06 pm
91catAlum wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Makes sense to me.

This may not be a valid point - those who know how our defense works can correct me. But doesn't traditionally the MLB play a big role in reading the offense and setting everyone up? I know Konkol could assist in that - but gotta think if thats the case Jobman would have a leg up as well over Askelson (who is just a freshman).

Jobman's size at 6-4, 240-250 + experience could help him out.

Regardless this is a very deep defense. Cannot wait for the season
I just looked up his size, he's listed at 6'4" and 211 lbs. That's surprising, I would've guessed at least 230 after seeing him last week.