QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:46 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:34 am
What drove me crazy last year was the opponents ability to score on their first possession.
Gregorak-led defenses were famous for that. But he was very good at adjusting post-first drive.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:11 pm

I'm one who believes Rovig will turn out to be just fine. The guy is still very young...as are all the QB's. That's a bit of a disconnect since the rest of the team brought in by Choate is now pretty mature and developed. The seasoned QB that should be leading this team flunked out. So Anderson goes back to where he belongs...the team drops back to a young aka green quarterback and life goes on. The "trial-by-fire opener with T-Tech might not give us the best impression, but we should see Rovig develop rapidly as the season progresses. The offensive line needs to help him and I believe we have the guys up front who can do it.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:39 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:45 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:04 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:59 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:47 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:06 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:53 am
TA would've never been moved to LB if Choate didn't think CM would be back as our QB. Seems as if less than half of BN understands this. Oh well. Go Cats!!!
This just isn’t true. Almost exactly the complete opposite.
Yep, more evidence that 84 is a loudmouth, arrogant, self important blowhard that can't be trusted.

I think I like Grizaddict better than this guy.

Just saying... :coffee:
Welp... I guess I haven't made a ton of friends on this board yet. Cheer up folks. It's okay to have different perspectives & opinions.

What will the board say to the prediction that TA will be back at starting QB this Fall? This will be the case I think. I don't see either Roving or Bauman being our starting QB when our jet lands in Lubbock this Fall.
Id make that bet all day everyday. Regardless of qb situation, Troy is now a full time linebacker who will get a handful of snaps each game on offense.
I would accept your bet. Please propose your terms.
$100 to winners charity of choice says that Troy Anderson won’t take the majority of QB snaps during the opening game vs Texas Tech.
What happened to @FTG_1984? We are still on for this bet, right?

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:17 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:55 am
The notion that MSU’s success hinges on QB play is off.

When Tampa Bay and Baltimore won Super Bowls. It was their defenses that carried them. Not Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.
I think MSU’s success 100% hinges on QB play. That’s not saying the QB needs to be an all American though.

If the QB is holding onto the ball too long, taking sacks, throwing interceptions, missing open guys, etc, that stuff will lose MSU games.

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer were solid QB’s that relied on defense and the run game and made the right decision at the right time and didn’t have excessive turnovers, THAT is what our QB needs to do.

This roster is stacked with the one major wild card potentially being the QB. Solid to good QB play would mean this is a top 10 team in the nation and a force to be reckoned with, bad QB play and they’re a team that could probably still sneak into the playoffs but likely lose in the first round or two.

So I think a lot of success hinges on the QB and thats why there is a 40+ page thread and going dedicated to it.
When Murray and Andersen held onto the ball too long or missed open guys, they washed out the mistake by making up for it on the ground. Tucker and Casey won't have that same luxury because they don't have the same skill set as Chris and Troy. Tucker and Casey HAVE TO be proficient in getting rid of the ball and hitting open guys above and beyond what Chris and Troy did the last few years...that is why Choate recruited them...to actually play the position it was meant to be played. So if they have a crappy completion percentage and a high turnover rate with little scoring production to counter it, MSU is going to struggle and #15 might be back in the driver's seat before we know it.

However, I think these kids just need live reps in games (and no not just 2.5 like Tucker got last year). As Colter/Brooks stated, they just have to pick a guy and roll with him/build him up. Again, I trust Matt Miller and what he wants to do on offense. Let's just let it all play out.

P.S. - taking sacks isn't always a bad thing...it's okay to live to fight another day instead of throwing a pick under pressure.

Taking sacks is not a bad thing. Neither is throwing the ball into the stands. I have been very frustrated with the lack of accepting the fact the play is broken and just throw it away out of anybodies grasp. Hopefully we see that from time to time this year. Make the best decision to minimize a bad play and live to play the next down

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
iaafan wrote:

When Tampa Bay and Baltimore won Super Bowls. It was their defenses that carried them. Not Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.
I think MSU’s success 100% hinges on QB play. That’s not saying the QB needs to be an all American though.

If the QB is holding onto the ball too long, taking sacks, throwing interceptions, missing open guys, etc, that stuff will lose MSU games.

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer were solid QB’s that relied on defense and the run game and made the right decision at the right time and didn’t have excessive turnovers, THAT is what our QB needs to do.

This roster is stacked with the one major wild card potentially being the QB. Solid to good QB play would mean this is a top 10 team in the nation and a force to be reckoned with, bad QB play and they’re a team that could probably still sneak into the playoffs but likely lose in the first round or two.

So I think a lot of success hinges on the QB and thats why there is a 40+ page thread and going dedicated to it.
When Murray and Andersen held onto the ball too long or missed open guys, they washed out the mistake by making up for it on the ground. Tucker and Casey won't have that same luxury because they don't have the same skill set as Chris and Troy. Tucker and Casey HAVE TO be proficient in getting rid of the ball and hitting open guys above and beyond what Chris and Troy did the last few years...that is why Choate recruited them...to actually play the position it was meant to be played. So if they have a crappy completion percentage and a high turnover rate with little scoring production to counter it, MSU is going to struggle and #15 might be back in the driver's seat before we know it.

However, I think these kids just need live reps in games (and no not just 2.5 like Tucker got last year). As Colter/Brooks stated, they just have to pick a guy and roll with him/build him up. Again, I trust Matt Miller and what he wants to do on offense. Let's just let it all play out.

P.S. - taking sacks isn't always a bad thing...it's okay to live to fight another day instead of throwing a pick under pressure.

Taking sacks is not a bad thing. Neither is throwing the ball into the stands. I have been very frustrated with the lack of accepting the fact the play is broken and just throw it away out of anybodies grasp. Hopefully we see that from time to time this year. Make the best decision to minimize a bad play and live to play the next down
This has been one of my biggest issues as well. QBs who can run seem to have a harder time with it and it has been frustrating to watch guys run out of bounds 3 or 4 yards behind the LOS instead of just tossing the ball into the bench. Going from 2nd and 6 to 3rd and 10 instead of having a 3rd and 6 because the QB wouldn't throw the ball away is tough to swallow. I would imagine guys like Rovig and Bauman who are more of the passing type know the importance of throwing the ball away over losing yards.

bcatfan1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcatfan1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:12 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
iaafan wrote:

This has been one of my biggest issues as well. QBs who can run seem to have a harder time with it and it has been frustrating to watch guys run out of bounds 3 or 4 yards behind the LOS instead of just tossing the ball into the bench. Going from 2nd and 6 to 3rd and 10 instead of having a 3rd and 6 because the QB wouldn't throw the ball away is tough to swallow. I would imagine guys like Rovig and Bauman who are more of the passing type know the importance of throwing the ball away over losing yards.
I think you're spot on about QBs who can run having a harder time throwing it away. They are always trying to find the escape lane instead of throwing it away. While the 3-4 yard losses by running out of bounds were infuriating at times, there were also times that Troy (or Chris) managed to escape a sure sack and turn it into a 1st down or take it to the house.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:33 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:08 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:07 am
I’m not saying MSU will have an all time great defense. I’m saying success (def: significant overall team improvement) hinges on the defense becoming elite (def: top 2 overall BSC).

If the defense is the same as last year and MSU has good QB play the overall improvement will be marginal. If QB stays same and defense is elite, the overall improvement will be significant.
I really hope the defense is better than last year. MSU gave up far too many first downs on 3rd and long last season. Exhibit A is 2018 cat/griz. Imagine the tune we'd be singing right now if not for "The Stuff"...
Ditto: Exhibit B: Weber tearing us up in the second half in the same manner with a balanced attack. I'm still not a big believer in "tall and rangy" if they are not instinctual and fast.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:48 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:39 pm
wbtfg wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
TA would've never been moved to LB if Choate didn't think CM would be back as our QB. Seems as if less than half of BN understands this. Oh well. Go Cats!!!
Yep, more evidence that 84 is a loudmouth, arrogant, self important blowhard that can't be trusted.

Welp... I guess I haven't made a ton of friends on this board yet. Cheer up folks. It's okay to have different perspectives & opinions.

What will the board say to the prediction that TA will be back at starting QB this Fall? This will be the case I think. I don't see either Roving or Bauman being our starting QB when our jet lands in Lubbock this Fall.
Id make that bet all day everyday. Regardless of qb situation, Troy is now a full time linebacker who will get a handful of snaps each game on offense.
$100 to winners charity of choice says that Troy Anderson won’t take the majority of QB snaps during the opening game vs Texas Tech.
Good morning @wbtfg. I'd just ask we alter the terms to who will take the majority of QB snaps from Game 1 (vs TT) through the month of September (first 5 games)? If this is not TA through this period, $100 to your charity of choice, and vice versa.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:48 am
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:39 pm
wbtfg wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:

Good morning @wbtfg. I'd just ask we alter the terms to who will take the majority of QB snaps from Game 1 (vs TT) through the month of September (first 5 games)? If this is not TA through this period, $100 to your charity of choice, and vice versa.
@FTG_1984 done!
Last edited by wbtfg on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:24 am

IMHO even if Andersen was currently taking full reps at quarterback, I doubt he’d beat out Rovig or Bauman. Rovig probably would’ve eventually replaced Andersen last year had he not been injured prior to the Idaho game.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Did Choate still want to name Bauman starter by the 10th? Or was it the 12th?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 pm
Why don’t you ask your well-connected buddies who saw more interceptions than every other person in attendance the other day?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:47 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:40 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Why don’t you ask your well-connected buddies who saw more interceptions than every other person in attendance the other day?
:lol:

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Go back to egriz and challenge alphagriz to a decathlon and then chicken out.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:05 pm

seataccat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:49 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Go back to egriz and challenge alphagriz to a decathlon and then chicken out.
Yeah, good ol’ GrizInWashington, er EverettGriz, I mean Jobu.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:12 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:24 am
IMHO even if Andersen was currently taking full reps at quarterback, I doubt he’d beat out Rovig or Bauman. Rovig probably would’ve eventually replaced Andersen last year had he not been injured prior to the Idaho game.
I think the opposite.

I am of the opinion that the only reason Andersen is not the starting QB is his wish to play defense. Had TA chosen otherwise, I don't think either Rovig or Bauman would have had a prayer of unseating him.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:13 pm

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:18 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:12 pm
iaafan wrote:
I think the opposite.

I am of the opinion that the only reason Andersen is not the starting QB is his wish to play defense. Had TA chosen otherwise, I don't think either Rovig or Bauman would have had a prayer of unseating him.
I’d probably agree if I didn’t feel very confident that Choate was set to start Rovig vs Idaho and the simple fact that Troy isn’t a strong enough threat to pass the ball and was asked to spend absolutely no time working on that aspect during the off-season. If there was a strong chance of Andersen starting at QB, he would’ve been asked to put in some prep work or go to a QB-Specific camp.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:20 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:13 pm
That sounds freaking intense! I like it a lot. :D

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:39 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:18 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:12 pm
iaafan wrote:
I think the opposite.

I’d probably agree if I didn’t feel very confident that Choate was set to start Rovig vs Idaho and the simple fact that Troy isn’t a strong enough threat to pass the ball and was asked to spend absolutely no time working on that aspect during the off-season. If there was a strong chance of Andersen starting at QB, he would’ve been asked to put in some prep work or go to a QB-Specific camp.
To clarify, I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario in which Andersen chooses at the end of the 2018 season that he will pursue QB and spends the off-season preparing to that end.

I also think Andersen could jump in any time be wanted to and take the job back, but that's obviously more of a leap and derives mostly from my low opinion of Rovig.

One question has always bothered me about the alleged plan to start Rovig from ID forward: if that was what they had decided, why did he get hurt in practice leading up to that game while running the scout team?