Facilities - Coach Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by The Big Meowski » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:57 am

Sounds like we are getting close, and it’s pretty exciting.
Last edited by The Big Meowski on Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:38 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:57 am
UC Davis coach's thoughts on facilities and fundraising:

“Our athletic director (Kevin Blue) came from Stanford. He helped raise $350 million there. We just raised $50 million; we just built a new practice facility, and an athletic facility. But I just really feel like the stars are kind of aligning."

“Like when I went to Willamette (in Salem, Ore., where Hawkins went 40-11-1 from 1993 to ’97), people were saying, ‘Don’t go there, you can’t win there,’ and I said it’s different. Their president was tired of losing, their AD was tired of losing. And they built a new locker room and a new field, and a new weight room. They said, we’re going to get this thing going. And we went from one win to the (NAIA) national championship in five years. We didn’t win it, but we were there.

“So I do feel some parallels that way. People are jumping in and helping … and all those little things, they matter. They matter a lot.”

Here's the entire interview.
https://cdapress.com/sports/20190728/th ... compassion
I am expecting them to get ready to look for a new conference then move up to FBS

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:51 am

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:38 am
Long Time Cat wrote:

“Our athletic director (Kevin Blue) came from Stanford. He helped raise $350 million there. We just raised $50 million; we just built a new practice facility, and an athletic facility. But I just really feel like the stars are kind of aligning."

“Like when I went to Willamette (in Salem, Ore., where Hawkins went 40-11-1 from 1993 to ’97), people were saying, ‘Don’t go there, you can’t win there,’ and I said it’s different. Their president was tired of losing, their AD was tired of losing. And they built a new locker room and a new field, and a new weight room. They said, we’re going to get this thing going. And we went from one win to the (NAIA) national championship in five years. We didn’t win it, but we were there.

“So I do feel some parallels that way. People are jumping in and helping … and all those little things, they matter. They matter a lot.”

I am expecting them to get ready to look for a new conference then move up to FBS
What conference would they move to in FCS or FBS?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:21 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:51 am
Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:38 am
Long Time Cat wrote:

What conference would they move to in FCS or FBS?
FBS

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:40 pm

They will have to add a lot more fans to meet FBS requirements.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:12 pm

Dan Hawkins is arguably the best coach in the BSC. He was 40-11-1 at Willamette and 53-11 at Boise State. He hired Chris Peterson to run the offense at Boise State.
Inexplicably, he became the Earle Solomson of Colorado. In fact the Bobcats beat him in Boulder in his first game there.
I see a real parallel with Hawkins and Bobcat HOF coach, Jim Sweeney. Sweeny was an obvious success in Bozeman, took the head coach job at Washington State and had limited success. He left and was hired by Fresno State and turned them into FRESNO....twice. After taking them to the FBS and a WAC championship he left to join John Madden at Oakland. After one year Madden retired and Sweeney was temporaily out of work. He was hired by the Cardinals and remained there a few years. When the HC was replaced and the staff let go, Sweeney was immediatley contacted by Fresno State who had gone into the dumbster during his absence, so he returned and made them better than ever. A charismatic recruiter, he basically got everything he wanted/needed in California.
Now comes Hawkins who took a similar path and finds himself in the furtile fields of California and he knows the terrain. Davis had not had a winning season since 2010 (6-5). Hawkins is suddenly 5-6 and 10-3. Basically he has been playing with the prior coaches talent...3-8, 2-9, 2-9, 5-7, 5-6 and he is getting better talent.
The Bobcats are in Davis the week before the griz game and that should be a great one to watch.
Trivia..Washington coach Chris Petersen was a freshman quarterback when Hawkins was a senior fullback at Davis.
Apologize for jumping the topic. Sometimes the little dutch boy pulls his finger out of the dike in Mr. Lisle's head.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:12 pm
Dan Hawkins is arguably the best coach in the BSC. He was 40-11-1 at Willamette and 53-11 at Boise State. He hired Chris Peterson to run the offense at Boise State.
Inexplicably, he became the Earle Solomson of Colorado. In fact the Bobcats beat him in Boulder in his first game there.
I see a real parallel with Hawkins and Bobcat HOF coach, Jim Sweeney. Sweeny was an obvious success in Bozeman, took the head coach job at Washington State and had limited success. He left and was hired by Fresno State and turned them into FRESNO....twice. After taking them to the FBS and a WAC championship he left to join John Madden at Oakland. After one year Madden retired and Sweeney was temporaily out of work. He was hired by the Cardinals and remained there a few years. When the HC was replaced and the staff let go, Sweeney was immediatley contacted by Fresno State who had gone into the dumbster during his absence, so he returned and made them better than ever. A charismatic recruiter, he basically got everything he wanted/needed in California.
Now comes Hawkins who took a similar path and finds himself in the furtile fields of California and he knows the terrain. Davis had not had a winning season since 2010 (6-5). Hawkins is suddenly 5-6 and 10-3. Basically he has been playing with the prior coaches talent...3-8, 2-9, 2-9, 5-7, 5-6 and he is getting better talent.
The Bobcats are in Davis the week before the griz game and that should be a great one to watch.
Trivia..Washington coach Chris Petersen was a freshman quarterback when Hawkins was a senior fullback at Davis.
Apologize for jumping the topic. Sometimes the little dutch boy pulls his finger out of the dike in Mr. Lisle's head.
I tend to agree with all you've stated about Hawkins and you have to realize Davis is pretty tough to get accepted into, even by MSU admission standards...

Lots of discussions as to paring a number of schools from the Power 5 conferences right now among some ADs and university presidents. Change. It's going to happen.

This article is fascininating:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/28/j ... el-tucker/

Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caturday » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Costello’s email this morning said they need a little over $1m to finish off the $18m project.... so guessing $350-450k raised in a a pretty short time frame since the last big announcement. What are the chances they can announce $18m raised at the Gold Rush game???

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Caturday wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:49 pm
Costello’s email this morning said they need a little over $1m to finish off the $18m project.... so guessing $350-450k raised in a a pretty short time frame since the last big announcement. What are the chances they can announce $18m raised at the Gold Rush game???
That would be outstanding!

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Caturday wrote:
I would guess either gold rush or homecoming. I’ll be very surprised if an announcement isn’t made at one of those.
I think this thing will get started this offseason and be ready to go for the 2021 season.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Caturday wrote:
Just got a mail today from MSU asking for my contribution to the project (they got it from my buying regular game tickets :) and it said we were still at $1.5M away :( So they have started asking the little guys for donations.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm
Caturday wrote:
Just got a mail today from MSU asking for my contribution to the project (they got it from my buying regular game tickets :) and it said we were still at $1.5M away :( So they have started asking the little guys for donations.
I got the same e-mail. Chipped in $500. Every little bit helps.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Mailed my 5 yr pledge card in on Wednesday. Not going to get my name on anything. but doing what we can!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 am

I wish they had an online meter for that last $1.5 million, which I believe is around $1 million now.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:07 am

Leon is hinting at an early season announcement.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:00 pm

$700,000 left

IYAACYAS

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:02 pm

CPACAT wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:00 pm
$700,000 left
Very impressive.

bcats

Post by bcats » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am

So does this get announced at Gold Rush? Any big surprises coming up?

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:34 am

bcats wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am
So does this get announced at Gold Rush? Any big surprises coming up?
I’m hoping so, either this game or homecoming.

It’s just a hunch, but I think the money is there and it’s just a matter of waiting for the season to get over to break ground.

Cats92
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cats92 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Ok Leon, we are now almost 10% through your 20 year plan. The bleachers look great, but after last weekend, I know we can fit more people into the stadium. 3/4 of the place was absolutely obnoxious that whole game. I have no doubt the SRO ticket holders were just as insane as the rest of us, but it would be nice to have the other end as intimidating. Let us know where we are at and let’s get this thing done.