Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: BOOM

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:52 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:46 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:57 pm

I'm a pretty big fan on DeNarius. I don't have any bias against him, at all.
Other than how he divided the locker room somehow, for reasons you never gave? Again, seems silly to mention Miller coaching QBs when DeNarius is one of the all-time greats at MSU and even the Big Sky statistically at the QB position. How are he and Miller "liable to screw things up" by working with Robison? You posted it, how will those two "screw up" the mechanics of the QBs?
No point in arguing with 99. He is the self appointed expert of anything regarding football or the inner working of the Cats. Gonna change his name to Gruden.
I mean 99 did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...
I see your mom gave you the receipt.
Do you kiss your wife with that mouth?

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:52 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:46 pm
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Other than how he divided the locker room somehow, for reasons you never gave? Again, seems silly to mention Miller coaching QBs when DeNarius is one of the all-time greats at MSU and even the Big Sky statistically at the QB position. How are he and Miller "liable to screw things up" by working with Robison? You posted it, how will those two "screw up" the mechanics of the QBs?
No point in arguing with 99. He is the self appointed expert of anything regarding football or the inner working of the Cats. Gonna change his name to Gruden.
I mean 99 did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...
I see your mom gave you the receipt.
Do you kiss your wife with that mouth?
Yup! And your mom.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:59 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:09 pm
Robison is the best QB on tape to come to MSU next to Prukop. Even wears the same number. Five. Probably more patient than Prukop. Same athleticism.
That’s an impressive statement.

Is it safe to also say and hope In an ideal world he can sit for two to three years and develop behind Rovig and Bauman? I think he could compete right away but a couple years in a college program can help leaps and bounds imo

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:20 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:59 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Robison is the best QB on tape to come to MSU next to Prukop. Even wears the same number. Five. Probably more patient than Prukop. Same athleticism.

Is it safe to also say and hope In an ideal world he can sit for two to three years and develop behind Rovig and Bauman? I think he could compete right away but a couple years in a college program can help leaps and bounds imo
That’s honestly my hope pretty much every year. Ideally any player, especially a QB, is not called upon to start until their RS Soph or even RS Jr year. That would mean development in both x’s and o’s and physically for 2-3 years and then start for 2-3 years. There are always exceptions to the rule (Andersen, Ifanse, etc), but the majority of kids coming into a college football program at this level would benefit from redshirting and developing for a couple years before seeing legit playing time.
That’d also mean Rovig and/or Bauman are too good to be beaten out by a true freshman or RS freshman, also obviously a good thing.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:29 am

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:50 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm
PapaG wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:03 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:43 pm
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I'm not going to re-hash old history. Those who know, know.

You don't even know he doesn't coach QB's here, so I'm not going to entertain you further.
Matt Miller is the OC/QB coach and I'd be shocked if Denarius does not has some input on how to coach the QBs and can work with them. Coaching RBs is not difficult other than pass protection which is basically instinctual anyhow.
Denarius coaches the RBs. Matt coaches the QBs. Jeff Choate gives input at every position when needed. Saying "coaching RBs is not difficult other than pass protection" is a generalization to say the least. You get a lot of explosive athletes at the RB position. Do you understand how hard it is to teach a young RB to stay disciplined? Many wash out within their first few years because they can't figure out how to improve their lack of vision and stay patient. Unless you are Adrian Peterson, you can't get away with not being a complete back anymore and it takes a good coach to develop the younger ones. Many high school backs are one-cut-and-go athletes who run through massive holes in high school. Everything tightens up in college with better athletes on the other side of the ball. This is why Isaiah Ifanse is so special and not "the norm" for a younger running back. He displayed vision and toughness beyond his years. Denarius has his hands full with the RBs about 99.9% of the time...because that's his job. And pass pro isn't "basically instinctual" as that is just 50% of the equation. If the back doesn't understand take the right step or understand the play call, he may instinctually block a defender...but it may not even be the right one which can lead to a sack. The instincts must match the mental part of the position.
Yeah, RBs are either born with instincts or they are not, as you just said at length. Pass protection is what keeps all big elite RBs on the field in all than obvious running downs. Are you saying DeNarius will have zero input on the QBs? Or, is the 99.9% just a guess?
What I was attempting to relay there is Denarius has less input on the QBs than some of you think. His job is "RB Coach and Recruiting Coordinator" so he is plenty busy with those two spots. Now of course he can give Tucker, Casey, or Ruben pointers if he sees something but its not as often as some imagine. Denarius is an all-in type of guy so nearly all of his time is with the RBs and as the Recruiting Coordinator when off the practice field. Jeff Choate (evil overlord per Egriz), Brian Armstrong (run-game coordinator), and Eric Frazier (WR coach and pass-game coordinator) have just as much input as Denarius does with the QBs. Overall, the primary voice the QBs should hear is Matt Miller.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 pm

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 am

I remember Choate saying as much that moving DM to Rb was in large part for his development as a coach.

I'm always excited to have a qb commit this early.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:33 am

lutecat wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 am
I remember Choate saying as much that moving DM to Rb was in large part for his development as a coach.

I'm always excited to have a qb commit this early.
True story; a few such as McVay who lived in and around the game from the time they were born have a decided advantage but by and large most will have to spend time learning other positions. Even Billy Napier had to put in several years under Saban after leaving Dabo's staff. (It's hard to fathom McVay was a high school qb for Marist in Hotlanta around 2004 which ran an option offense). His heighth precluded serious recruiting by SEC schools as I recall.

It is going to be nice watching the maturation of Robison the next few years and the Academic Center ought to be finished prior to his arrival on campus. (Does anyone know if he graduates early so he can participate in spring practices next year?).

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:16 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 pm
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... c3254.html

Greg Rachac story about Robison.
“I can throw, but when the pocket breaks down I can make a play with either my feet or my arm, and my speed is what allows me to do that,” he said. “I’m pretty good at throwing on the run. That’s one of my strengths.

“My speed has always been my best attribute. It’s allowed me to make plays that other guys might not be able to make. That’s how I’d describe myself— I just make plays.”

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 pm

Some analysis on two of MSU newest recruits

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:20 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

That’s honestly my hope pretty much every year. Ideally any player, especially a QB, is not called upon to start until their RS Soph or even RS Jr year. That would mean development in both x’s and o’s and physically for 2-3 years and then start for 2-3 years. There are always exceptions to the rule (Andersen, Ifanse, etc), but the majority of kids coming into a college football program at this level would benefit from redshirting and developing for a couple years before seeing legit playing time.
That’d also mean Rovig and/or Bauman are too good to be beaten out by a true freshman or RS freshman, also obviously a good thing.
Wouldn't it be nice if we can develope the QB system eastern Washington has. Seriously, how do they do it? Over twenty years of stellar qb play. Every year they graduated a qb, the next guy would be just as good! I can't even name of half of there qbs because they all blend into one. Adams, nichols, bolevi Mitchell, meyer, it just doesn't end!

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:29 am
PapaG wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:50 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm
PapaG wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:03 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:43 pm
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I'm not going to re-hash old history. Those who know, know.

You don't even know he doesn't coach QB's here, so I'm not going to entertain you further.
Matt Miller is the OC/QB coach and I'd be shocked if Denarius does not has some input on how to coach the QBs and can work with them. Coaching RBs is not difficult other than pass protection which is basically instinctual anyhow.
Denarius coaches the RBs. Matt coaches the QBs. Jeff Choate gives input at every position when needed. Saying "coaching RBs is not difficult other than pass protection" is a generalization to say the least. You get a lot of explosive athletes at the RB position. Do you understand how hard it is to teach a young RB to stay disciplined? Many wash out within their first few years because they can't figure out how to improve their lack of vision and stay patient. Unless you are Adrian Peterson, you can't get away with not being a complete back anymore and it takes a good coach to develop the younger ones. Many high school backs are one-cut-and-go athletes who run through massive holes in high school. Everything tightens up in college with better athletes on the other side of the ball. This is why Isaiah Ifanse is so special and not "the norm" for a younger running back. He displayed vision and toughness beyond his years. Denarius has his hands full with the RBs about 99.9% of the time...because that's his job. And pass pro isn't "basically instinctual" as that is just 50% of the equation. If the back doesn't understand take the right step or understand the play call, he may instinctually block a defender...but it may not even be the right one which can lead to a sack. The instincts must match the mental part of the position.
Yeah, RBs are either born with instincts or they are not, as you just said at length. Pass protection is what keeps all big elite RBs on the field in all than obvious running downs. Are you saying DeNarius will have zero input on the QBs? Or, is the 99.9% just a guess?
What I was attempting to relay there is Denarius has less input on the QBs than some of you think. His job is "RB Coach and Recruiting Coordinator" so he is plenty busy with those two spots. Now of course he can give Tucker, Casey, or Ruben pointers if he sees something but its not as often as some imagine. Denarius is an all-in type of guy so nearly all of his time is with the RBs and as the Recruiting Coordinator when off the practice field. Jeff Choate (evil overlord per Egriz), Brian Armstrong (run-game coordinator), and Eric Frazier (WR coach and pass-game coordinator) have just as much input as Denarius does with the QBs. Overall, the primary voice the QBs should hear is Matt Miller.
I take that as a huge compliment coming from egriz. I imagine they hate Choate over there.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:28 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:20 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if we can develope the QB system eastern Washington has. Seriously, how do they do it? Over twenty years of stellar qb play. Every year they graduated a qb, the next guy would be just as good! I can't even name of half of there qbs because they all blend into one. Adams, nichols, bolevi Mitchell, meyer, it just doesn't end!
They have a state of mind at the QB position. They’re supremely confident in what they’re doing to a point that they’re not second guessing themselves.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 pm
Some analysis on two of MSU newest recruits
Good listen, glad to hear Brooks liked Robison's film as well.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 am

Grady Robison had 5 TDs in his first game as Eastlake fell 42-41 in OT.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:14 pm

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Can he be here by Saturday?

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 pm

I was down some on the whole Choate and his recruiting QB's, but that changed when this kid committed earlier this year.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:19 pm

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Great looking Qb! Reminds me a little of Prukop.