Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 am

His stats are slowly coming out. He seems to have improved steadily over the year. His final two games against tough competition were very good. He had 1,850 yards and 25 TDs passing. The yardage isn’t great, but that depends on how many attempts he had. The TDs are very good with five coming in a playoff game. The 750 rushing is also very good assuming he lost yardage due to sacks.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:58 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 am
His stats are slowly coming out. He seems to have improved steadily over the year. His final two games against tough competition were very good. He had 1,850 yards and 25 TDs passing. The yardage isn’t great, but that depends on how many attempts he had. The TDs are very good with five coming in a playoff game. The 750 rushing is also very good assuming he lost yardage due to sacks.
I think college is the only one that has sacks effect their rushing yards. I'm not well versed on HS stats though, take those with a grain of salt.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:16 am

He had a tough game against Union in a 43-18 loss. Went 6-14-1, 88 yards, but that was just the third game of the season. 9 carries, 38 yards.

They went 8-3. So he averaged 68 yards rushing and 168 passing.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 am

His last four games he was 64-97, 912 yards and 17 touchdowns. In three of those games he ran 30 times for 271 yards. Couldn’t find rushing stats for one game. So he threw for almost half his yardage and 2/3rds his TDS in the last four games out of 11.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:30 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 am
His last four games he was 64-97, 912 yards and 17 touchdowns. In three of those games he ran 30 times for 271 yards. Couldn’t find rushing stats for one game. So he threw for almost half his yardage and 2/3rds his TDS in the last four games out of 11.
In the playoffs, nice time to shine.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 am

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:30 am
iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 am
In the playoffs, nice time to shine.
Two games were in the playoffs. But if you were to apply those numbers over 11 games, he’d easily reach the goals he set for himself.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: BOOM

Post by PapaG » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:03 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:43 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:57 pm

I'm a pretty big fan on DeNarius. I don't have any bias against him, at all.
Other than how he divided the locker room somehow, for reasons you never gave? Again, seems silly to mention Miller coaching QBs when DeNarius is one of the all-time greats at MSU and even the Big Sky statistically at the QB position. How are he and Miller "liable to screw things up" by working with Robison? You posted it, how will those two "screw up" the mechanics of the QBs?
I'm not going to re-hash old history. Those who know, know.

You don't even know he doesn't coach QB's here, so I'm not going to entertain you further.
Matt Miller is the OC/QB coach and I'd be shocked if Denarius does not has some input on how to coach the QBs and can work with them. Coaching RBs is not difficult other than pass protection which is basically instinctual anyhow.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:03 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Other than how he divided the locker room somehow, for reasons you never gave? Again, seems silly to mention Miller coaching QBs when DeNarius is one of the all-time greats at MSU and even the Big Sky statistically at the QB position. How are he and Miller "liable to screw things up" by working with Robison? You posted it, how will those two "screw up" the mechanics of the QBs?

You don't even know he doesn't coach QB's here, so I'm not going to entertain you further.
Matt Miller is the OC/QB coach and I'd be shocked if Denarius does not has some input on how to coach the QBs and can work with them. Coaching RBs is not difficult other than pass protection which is basically instinctual anyhow.
Denarius coaches the RBs. Matt coaches the QBs. Jeff Choate gives input at every position when needed. Saying "coaching RBs is not difficult other than pass protection" is a generalization to say the least. You get a lot of explosive athletes at the RB position. Do you understand how hard it is to teach a young RB to stay disciplined? Many wash out within their first few years because they can't figure out how to improve their lack of vision and stay patient. Unless you are Adrian Peterson, you can't get away with not being a complete back anymore and it takes a good coach to develop the younger ones. Many high school backs are one-cut-and-go athletes who run through massive holes in high school. Everything tightens up in college with better athletes on the other side of the ball. This is why Isaiah Ifanse is so special and not "the norm" for a younger running back. He displayed vision and toughness beyond his years. Denarius has his hands full with the RBs about 99.9% of the time...because that's his job. And pass pro isn't "basically instinctual" as that is just 50% of the equation. If the back doesn't understand take the right step or understand the play call, he may instinctually block a defender...but it may not even be the right one which can lead to a sack. The instincts must match the mental part of the position.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:04 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Denarius coaches the RBs. Matt coaches the QBs. Jeff Choate gives input at every position when needed. Saying "coaching RBs is not difficult other than pass protection" is a generalization to say the least. You get a lot of explosive athletes at the RB position. Do you understand how hard it is to teach a young RB to stay disciplined? Many wash out within their first few years because they can't figure out how to improve their lack of vision and stay patient. Unless you are Adrian Peterson, you can't get away with not being a complete back anymore and it takes a good coach to develop the younger ones. Many high school backs are one-cut-and-go athletes who run through massive holes in high school. Everything tightens up in college with better athletes on the other side of the ball. This is why Isaiah Ifanse is so special and not "the norm" for a younger running back. He displayed vision and toughness beyond his years. Denarius has his hands full with the RBs about 99.9% of the time...because that's his job. And pass pro isn't "basically instinctual" as that is just 50% of the equation. If the back doesn't understand take the right step or understand the play call, he may instinctually block a defender...but it may not even be the right one which can lead to a sack. The instincts must match the mental part of the position.
I understand everything that you're saying. And I never try to marginalize these positions. However, wouldn't it then make sense to have one of the best qb's ever to play for the cats being able to chime in now and again about the qb position? Obviously you don't HAVE to play the position to be able to coach it. Hell, there are some great coaches out there that never even played at the college level. But it seems to me that the common fan such as myself seems to minimize the importance of these positions because the people coaching the positions never played the position. Just with these two alone it seems like it'd be beneficial for MM to be the coordinator and help with the receivers and for DM to have any type of role helping with quarterbacks?

I have to missing something. Obviously every team has coaching needs and the person in charge might have never played the position. But why not use personal experience at positions when possible?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Ya, good info VIM. If there was any accuracy to that statement at all I was going to have to ask the question - why we waste valuable coaching staff, time, and $$ on an RB coach? :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:37 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:04 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I understand everything that you're saying. And I never try to marginalize these positions. However, wouldn't it then make sense to have one of the best qb's ever to play for the cats being able to chime in now and again about the qb position? Obviously you don't HAVE to play the position to be able to coach it. Hell, there are some great coaches out there that never even played at the college level. But it seems to me that the common fan such as myself seems to minimize the importance of these positions because the people coaching the positions never played the position. Just with these two alone it seems like it'd be beneficial for MM to be the coordinator and help with the receivers and for DM to have any type of role helping with quarterbacks?

I have to missing something. Obviously every team has coaching needs and the person in charge might have never played the position. But why not use personal experience at positions when possible?
I think an important thing to remember here is being a football coach is different than being a football player. HOF NFL players do not instantly become HOF coaches...even at the position they played. In order to become a better coach, you are doing yourself a disservice by not coaching other positions. Mike Zimmer (head coach of the Vikings) was a starting QB in college and became a cornerback guru as a coach. Sean McVay (head coach of the Rams) was a starting WR in college but was never a head WR coach in the NFL (only an assistant WR coach) and instead moved his way up as TE's coach and OC for the Redskins before becoming the HC for the Rams where he works mostly with his QBs.

Now of course it also works out that the position the player stars at is the position they coach later on. Of course Denarius likely gets asked for input by Matt. But Denarius also receives input from Matt on something he sees in the RB group. Overall, posters need to understand these coaches put a ton of work into each of their individual position groups because each position requires a high level of development every year. No one just goes through the motions because of every position has its own intricacy's.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:49 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:37 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:04 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I think an important thing to remember here is being a football coach is different than being a football player. HOF NFL players do not instantly become HOF coaches...even at the position they played. In order to become a better coach, you are doing yourself a disservice by not coaching other positions. Mike Zimmer (head coach of the Vikings) was a starting QB in college and became a cornerback guru as a coach. Sean McVay (head coach of the Rams) was a starting WR in college but was never a head WR coach in the NFL (only an assistant WR coach) and instead moved his way up as TE's coach and OC for the Redskins before becoming the HC for the Rams where he works mostly with his QBs.

Now of course it also works out that the position the player stars at is the position they coach later on. Of course Denarius likely gets asked for input by Matt. But Denarius also receives input from Matt on something he sees in the RB group. Overall, posters need to understand these coaches put a ton of work into each of their individual position groups because each position requires a high level of development every year. No one just goes through the motions because of every position has its own intricacy's.
As far as the coaches moving positions I think this helps the team keep some of these guys longer. We have no idea the conversations that are held. Maybe DM wanted to do something other than QB and ultimately wants to be an OC or HC. So he approached Choate about applying somewhere else. Choate says why don’t you fill in here, I’ve got a guy that can come in and give us a different perspective on QB play and you can stay in Bozeman. Having experience coaching different positions helps fill out a resume.

I’ve always thought that Choate wants to be impactful not only in developing players but coaches as well. And being at an FCS school like MSU gives him a very unique opportunity on being able to pick up the guys that are moving up the ranks and also the guys that need some tweaking by moving down from FBS.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Robison is the best QB on tape to come to MSU next to Prukop. Even wears the same number. Five. Probably more patient than Prukop. Same athleticism.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:05 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:09 pm
Robison is the best QB on tape to come to MSU next to Prukop. Even wears the same number. Five. Probably more patient than Prukop. Same athleticism.
Tom. I swear if you get me all excited, and we have a pre-mature loss...I'm gonna kill you.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:18 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:05 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tom. I swear if you get me all excited, and we have a pre-mature loss...I'm gonna kill you.
You’d rather talk about what each coach’s responsibilities are relative to other coaches and how each scenario effects the orbit of the planets?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:18 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
You’d rather talk about what each coach’s responsibilities are relative to other coaches and how each scenario effects the orbit of the planets?
I did hear that when Miller was promoted to OC last year it caused the earth to shift off its axis a couple degrees, thus causing the extra snowfall and the roof collapses in Bozeman this winter.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:50 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Yeah, RBs are either born with instincts or they are not, as you just said at length. Pass protection is what keeps all big elite RBs on the field in all than obvious running downs. Are you saying DeNarius will have zero input on the QBs? Or, is the 99.9% just a guess?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:22 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I did hear that when Miller was promoted to OC last year it caused the earth to shift off its axis a couple degrees, thus causing the extra snowfall and the roof collapses in Bozeman this winter.
No,no,no, The extra heavy snowfall in Bozeman last winter was the direct result of an inordinate amount of evaporation in the Missoula area caused by the massive amount of tears being shed beginning with "The Stuff" and continuing on for months. Weather analysts have studied it and have named it the "poor Grizzlies down pour"

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:22 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
No,no,no, The extra heavy snowfall in Bozeman last winter was the direct result of an inordinate amount of evaporation in the Missoula area caused by the massive amount of tears being shed beginning with "The Stuff" and continuing on for months. Weather analysts have studied it and have named it the "poor Grizzlies down pour"
it has continued through the summer and is the cause of numerous rain showers in Eastern and Central Montana including a few tornadoes

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:39 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Please no.